Rex doesn't have the authority to bench Sanchez vs Jacksonville on his own (needs Tannenbaum's permission)?

Sperm Edwards

If they don't go back to Sanchez, they have effectively castrated him the rest of his time here and he's going to be here next year barring some miracle in the contract language that no one knows about. If he doesn't go back to Sanchez, it's damning of the GM who inked him to big money last off-season, so yeah. I'm pretty sure Rex is going to run it by the guy whose neck is on the line come firing season.

It's one thing for the fans to lose confidence in the starting QB, that happens all the time, it's another thing entirely for the front office to lose the fan base. If they go to Sanchez, they may just do that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't but they painted themselves into this corner with horrible personnel decisions.

If a qb can't take a benching mentally, he should not be a qb in the first place.

The quote backs up a tremendous amount of circumstantial evidence in the form of Mark Sanchez' contract. The person who signed him to that deal, Rex's boss, can't possibly be happy with the idea that Rex wants to sit him. Not only sit him, but bypassing the high profile, well paid backup that Tannenbaum brought in, too.

This ain't Rex being gutless, this is Rex throwing Tanny under the bus. Tanny can't like that.

Whats more embarressing to Tanny ? Mark Sitting on the bench or Mark actually playing ? Its very possible Marks attitude has a big effect on the players around him. Anyone watching that game Sunday vs the Cards could see the energy displayed by our entire team when McElroy came into the game so I guess only a moron like Tanny could miss that.

Tanny is on as big if not bigger sh*t list than Rex is so Rex holds the cards IMHO and if he wants McElroy then thats the way this should pan out.

If Rex does not have the balls to make this move, or the athority, then we have bigger problems than any of us imagined.

All that being said none of us truly know whats going on behind closed doors and we probably wont find out much until the dust clears in the offseason.

If a qb can't take a benching mentally, he should not be a qb in the first place.

I didn't say anything about Sanchez mentally. Basically, if they don't go back to him now when we have an easy slate of games coming up, there is no way they can EVER go back to him barring an injury.

Rex in a "disciplined environment"? What does that mean? He is not disciplined himself.

A disciplined environment would be TELLING him what to do. Not giving him his own freedom

Which is exactly what I'm saying. Rex needs to work for a boss who's not only capable of bringing in talent for him to coach, but directing him when he gets off track. He's not personally disciplined, but that doesn't mean he's not a bright football coach. In such a structured environment, I think he can be very successful. And if not, he can always go back to being a very successful DC.

nobody takes a benching well mentally, nobody. Eventually time heals the wound. If you get benched its because you have not played well and someone else deserves a chance. Too many people on these boards think they know what Sanchez is thinking and how everything effects him when in reality they know nothing at all about the guy personally. Every QB in this league looks miserable when they play bad or make a bad play, every single one, but it seems to be a bigger issue here in NY and its ridiculous TBH.

Which is exactly what I'm saying. Rex needs to work for a boss who's not only capable of bringing in talent for him to coach, but directing him when he gets off track. He's not personally disciplined, but that doesn't mean he's not a bright football coach. In such a structured environment, I think he can be very successful. And if not, he can always go back to being a very successful DC.

Yep a DC with a gag order like in the Parcells regimes

The whole team lost confidence in Sanchez. This is more than "having a bad game". This is more akin to "if our QB was decent and not terrible, we could win". You saw it in the way they fought after he was benched. The spark has been consumated and the fire has been lit. The rest of this season is winnable as long as we have a decent QB, not the sh*t show that was out there for the first 3 qtrs of the AZ game. We will find out come sunday if we have that decent QB on our roster...

You're going to become a Nets fan, I can see it. You remind me of my cousin who was a die-hard Redskins fan growing up that refused to watch them ever since Snyder took over. He married into my family thirty years ago and has since become a giants fan; seems a whole lot happier now too. So you may have something going for ya.

So what you're saying is I should become a Patriots fan?

This is a franchise altering decision, so of course the HC has to consult with his boss, the GM. But the HC usually has ultimate decision making in who plays. Unless we're told otherwise, I believe Rex has final say in this situation.

And that will be to the detriment of the franchise.

you say that it will "set them back" my question is set them back from what? The ultimate goal of winning the super bowl? The Jets have been firing people for 40 years and besides Parcells 1998 campaign, they never have been closer than Rex's 2 AFC CG runs. I don't subscribe to this addition by subtraction theory, like firing Rex and bringing in Chip Kelly gets them a Super Bowl. None of it is guaranteed. Rex is a good coach and he's gonna be back.

you say that it will "set them back" my question is set them back from what? The ultimate goal of winning the super bowl? The Jets have been firing people for 40 years and besides Parcells 1998 campaign, they never have been closer than Rex's 2 AFC CG runs. I don't subscribe to this addition by subtraction theory, like firing Rex and bringing in Chip Kelly gets them a Super Bowl. None of it is guaranteed. Rex is a good coach and he's gonna be back.

We differ on opinions. Makes neither of us right.

well i am willing to bet money that he will be back. we can have opinions about what should happen but let's talk about what will happen.

This organization has made exceedingly stupid mistakes in the past, so there is no reason to not guess they could possibly make another in keeping Ryan for one more year.

Yeah, aside from the fact that personnel is the GM's job.

Your hatred of Rex is boringly obvious with each and every one of your posts.

I don't love anyone associated with this team, except maybe Crusher, but Tannenbaum's methods have finally caught up to him big time. He needs to go. Someone who understands how to build a team thru the draft, and has some abilty to assess talent themselves -rather than simply being able to read a scouting report- needs to be brought in to replace him. Whatever that new boss wants to do with Rex is fine with me, but Tannenbaum absolutely needs to go first.

You ASSUME Tanny is calling the shots.

I ASSUME Rex is calling the shots.

I hate Rex for many reasons, this being one of about 20 reasons.

They both need to go.

If this dumb ass organization fires the GM, and forces the new GM to keep the sh*tty big mouth coach, they deserve what they get.

You ASSUME Tanny is calling the shots.

I ASSUME Rex is calling the shots.

I hate Rex for many reasons, this being one of about 20 reasons.

They both need to go.

If this dumb ass organization fires the GM, and forces the new GM to keep the sh*tty big mouth coach, they deserve what they get.

Yes.

I assume Tannenbaum is doing Tannenbaum's job.

You assume Rex is doing Tannenbaum's job.

The force option is real, and I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. But if a new GM comes in here, recognizes that Ryan is an asset, and wants to keep him on board, I'm certainly okay with that, too.

Yes.

I assume Tannenbaum is doing Tannenbaum's job.

You assume Rex is doing Tannenbaum's job.

The force option is real, and I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. But if a new GM comes in here, recognizes that Ryan is an asset, and wants to keep him on board, I'm certainly okay with that, too.

Here is where you and I differ, I am not assuming GM title for Tanny means traditional NFL GM.

Tanny was never even remotely close to being qualified as a traditional NFL GM, he is NOT a football guy.

He was put in the GM role when Mangini was hired to become the Paoli of the Jets, and let Mangini be the Belliechek.

In NE, wh do you think was making the personnel decisions, Paoli or Belicheck?

Clearly Belicheck.

A HC is a full time job, so they cannot also be the full time GM, come in Paoli, come in Tanny. Assistant, not true GM.

This is exactly what they setup with the Jets.

When the fired Mangini, I think Tanny took on more responsibility, but he is not capable of being a true NFL GM, never was.

Its pretty clear to me that Rex took over the Mangini role.

You can see it in the free agents, you can see it in the draft picks.

A true GM does not go from only drafting Choir boys, to drafting and signing who the Jets have signed. That was the transition from Mangini to Rex, not Tanny to Tanny.

If Tanny were a true, traditional NFL GM, I would agree with you, but he is not even close to that.

Regarding a new GM wanting to keep Rex, the ONLY way that happens is if Woody the moron only hires someone who wants to, or is willing to keep Rex.

No true GM is going to want to keep around the old regime, they are setting themselves up for complete failure.

New GM, keep Rex = total and complete disaster.

Archived