Napoli a red sock: 3 years, 39 milly

Blackout

Mets did overpay for Wright. Shoulda traded him. And i love the guy. :-)

Both players are average players. Both are on the decline of their career. I dont have the list of FA's in front of me to read through and point out who's better, whos cheaper. All i care about is these guys add nearly nothing to this team in my eyes. Just expensive place holders for the hopes and wishes something develops or happens to improve them. If an average team is acceptable for the foreseeable future, then fine... the sox did what they needed to do. But after alienating the fan base last year, they needed to do better than jonny gomes, victorino and a terrible 1b who plays 110 games

You're right. They should have made huge splashes like the did with Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, and John Lackey. Those all worked out splendidly.

Go ahead and look through the free agents when you have some time and let me know who would have been a better fit at 1B that was going to take only 3 years. Same thing for a right fielder who can also play center.

I'll wait.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you care about the money? Both players do not suck. They are good role players and fit needs for the Red Sox. What is so hard to understand? What is out there that would have suited the Sox better? I implore you to answer that question, likely you cannot.

Your opinion is like mine saying the Mets overpaid for Wright based on what Longoria got, who is a way better player.

Longo is only marginally better. And he never plays.

Mets did overpay for Wright. Shoulda traded him. And i love the guy. :-)

Both players are average players. Both are on the decline of their career. I dont have the list of FA's in front of me to read through and point out who's better, whos cheaper. All i care about is these guys add nearly nothing to this team in my eyes. Just expensive place holders for the hopes and wishes something develops or happens to improve them. If an average team is acceptable for the foreseeable future, then fine... the sox did what they needed to do. But after alienating the fan base last year, they needed to do better than jonny gomes, victorino and a terrible 1b who plays 110 games

Trust me, there are no prize FAs this year. I have been looking since August. ;)

Even the prize free agent, Hamilton, has baggage.

As you stated, they are place holders. I do not think the Sox are looking to blow up the roster....just yet.

If the Sox were relatively healthy and sucked last year, then you blow up the roster and start anew. The Sox had players that sucked, but were also hit hard by injuries and then you factor in Bobby V.

I think they are going to add a few pieces and see where they are next year. If Farrell and Nieves can resurrect the pitching staff and a relative return to health, the Sox will be ok. Not great, but they will be ok.

The signings are what they are. I like Victorino a little better as he was a GG as short as a few years ago, plus was a good OPS guy. He can patrol the outfield until Bradley is ready. I would like Napoli better if he was catching. Pitcher's struggled with Salty. At 1B his bat absolutely sucks. Hopefully, his small sample of crushing Sox pitching can carry out over a full season.

You're right. They should have made huge splashes like the did with Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, and John Lackey. Those all worked out splendidly.

Go ahead and look through the free agents when you have some time and let me know who would have been a better fit at 1B that was going to take only 3 years. Same thing for a right fielder who can also play center.

I'll wait.

so because I think these are terrible signings, I have to now get into a huge debate over what players they coulda/shoulda signed?? Sorry. I dont get into silly debates like this. Its a waste of time. I leave that up to other jackwagons who think their on WEEI or pretend to be Felger and Mazz.

Plain and simple. I hate these 2 moves. Doesnt matter who else is available or not. These 2 dont improve the Red Sox enough to make them competitive in my view. End of story. End of discussion. I hate the 2 moves.

so because I think these are terrible signings, I have to now get into a huge debate over what players they coulda/shoulda signed?? Sorry. I dont get into silly debates like this. Its a waste of time. I leave that up to other jackwagons who think their on WEEI or pretend to be Felger and Mazz.

Plain and simple. I hate these 2 moves. Doesnt matter who else is available or not. These 2 dont improve the Red Sox enough to make them competitive in my view. End of story. End of discussion. I hate the 2 moves.

Says the Mets fan? Why do I care if the Mets fan hates what the Red Sox do? Move along if you don't want to have an actual conversation that you initiated because you looked and found bare cupboards in MLB Free agency. Kevin Youkilis is being offered 12 million by the Yankees, but a guy like Mike Napoli isn't worth 13. Really?

Zzzzzzzz.

Says the Mets fan? Why do I care if the Mets fan hates what the Red Sox do? Move along if you don't want to have an actual conversation that you initiated because you looked and found bare cupboards in MLB Free agency. Kevin Youkilis is being offered 12 million by the Yankees, but a guy like Mike Napoli isn't worth 13. Really?

Zzzzzzzz.

Nobody should care what anyone's opinion is! Its all worthless babble! I dont give a damn if you care or not. I didnt initiate a conversation. I made a statement. I hate the signings of these 2 players. Thats not a debate. its not a discussion. I made a statement.

And again... I'll repeat for you... I LIVE IN BOSTON. I FOLLOW MORE ABOUT THE RED SOX THAN I DO THE METS. I ATTEND MORE RED SOX GAMES THEN METS GAMES. So im not some jacko who doesnt follow the team making comments about them. I actually watch them... and with these mediocre signings, it doesnt give me any more hope for 2013 than when the season ended.

Youkilis being offered 12 mil by the Yankees is retarded. I hope to God they sign him for that. And no. Neither one of these injured bums are worth 13 million a year. Red Sox and Yankees are stupid retarded for making these deals/offers.

I didnt "look" into free agency and find the cupboards bare and refuse to comment. other than Laroche, I have no clue on what FA's are out there. And laroche would have been even stupider since it would have cost them their 2nd rd pick.

Zzzzzzzz.

You're too defensive.

All I am saying is if you put a post on here for mass consumption, you should be ready to defend that opinion. Otherwise what is the point?

The Sox spent the money the way they thought was best. 2 championships in the last 8 years says they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

smarter move would have been to trade for Ike Davis or Lucas Duda. Davis would murder in Boston and Duda, while sh!ttty defensively, wouldnt be any worse at 1b than napoli.

Sox aren't interested in trading young players right now. Read Cherington's quotes. They are. Building toward the future. Signing these players didn't give up any picks or players. Just money. Which they have plenty of now

All I am saying is if you put a post on here for mass consumption, you should be ready to defend that opinion. Otherwise what is the point?

The Sox spent the money the way they thought was best. 2 championships in the last 8 years says they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

My defense: I think they suck. And 13 mil for sucky players is too much. Really needs more explanation than that? :rl:

Sox aren't interested in trading young players right now. Read Cherington's quotes. They are. Building toward the future. Signing these players didn't give up any picks or players. Just money. Which they have plenty of now

Yes. the hope and pray model. and fill the roster with overpriced hasbeens while hoping and waiting for the yungins to grow up. I see this ending well.

a complete teardown would be better than this dipping toes in water act theyre doing.

**** cant wait to eat crow when Napoli plays 140 games with 40 hrs and 100bi's and victorino becomes a fan favorite! ****

26 million that could have been spent elsewhere for better talent.

Who?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/transactions/free-agents

The FA market is pretty thin.

I am not totally enamored with the signings, but is Napoli at 1B really a worse signing than the Laroche or Berkman? No. It is not like there is an A-Gon available.

Who?

http://www.cbssports...ons/free-agents

The FA market is pretty thin.

I am not totally enamored with the signings, but is Napoli at 1B really a worse signing than the Laroche or Berkman? No. It is not like there is an A-Gon available.

IF... and thats a BIG IF he can play in more than 110 games its a good signing AND they get decent production. Otherwise he's no better than the other dead wood on the FA rack.

If he's the Napoli of 2011 its a good deal. If its Napoli of last year its an awful deal.

Doubt its going to be much different... other than trading Salty and a RP to the Mets for Dickey. :-D

The Sox need more of a #1 or #2 type starter. I'd be okay with that trade as long they don't give up any prospects for a 38 year old knuckleballer with one good season. He'd probably be a fine #3 type starter.

The Sox need more of a #1 or #2 type starter. I'd be okay with that trade as long they don't give up any prospects for a 38 year old knuckleballer with one good season. He'd probably be a fine #3 type starter.

Any team would be stupid to do so. Mets would be stupid to accept anything less than top line prospects.

IF... and thats a BIG IF he can play in more than 110 games its a good signing AND they get decent production. Otherwise he's no better than the other dead wood on the FA rack.

If he's the Napoli of 2011 its a good deal. If its Napoli of last year its an awful deal.

He has only done that once, so I am guessing he is more like the Napoli of 2010 and 2012.

He could produce like he did in 2008/9 if he continues to produce like he has done at Fenway during his career.

I could see him doing what he has done his entire career. Games at 1B, moved to C (if he is closer to 2008/09/11 production) against NL teams as Ortiz moves to 1B. He will get 20ish homeruns.

I like the signing if he was to be the catcher, or as I described above, but to be the primary 1B? No. Especially if he is the 2010 and 2012 Napoli out there.

So does every team in the majors. You're not gonna get a guy who just won a cy young and is one of the best pictures on the market for Salty and a few middling prospects. That being said, Dickey is a terrible fit for the AL East and that ballpark.

So does every team in the majors. You're not gonna get a guy who just won a cy young and is one of the best pictures on the market for Salty and a few middling prospects. That being said, Dickey is a terrible fit for the AL East and that ballpark.

What?

I'd be willing to depart with prospects for a Strasburg type or another young pitcher with a good track record. Not a 38 year old junkballer with limited success and not a fit for the team. I'm sure some other dumb team will trade something of value for RA Dickey. It won't be the Sox.

What?

I'd be willing to depart with prospects for a Strasburg type or another young pitcher with a good track record. Not a 38 year old junkballer with limited success and not a fit for the team. I'm sure some other dumb team will trade something of value for RA Dickey. It won't be the Sox.

LOL iPad auto correct.

What?

:blowup::mad0222::censored2::bag::badmood::suicide::fan::bash::face::cloudy:

Archived