Are the Jets really a disaster?

JustInFudge

I keep hearing this every where I turn. This board is a complete doom and gloom fest, rightfully so, but every major media outlet that I've paid any attention to is calling the Jets a disaster/circus/joke, whatever. I live in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have 2 wins. A local radio guy just called the Jets a disaster. WTF are the Jags? lol

I get it, they arent a very good Football team, but why are the Jets a disaster and get all the attention when over half the league has the same, or worse record. 11 teams in the NFL have a worse record than the Jets. And outside of the Eagles, none of them garner any national attention. 3 teams have the same record, 2 of them in our own division. Yet, I never hear about how those teams are a "disaster".

So I guess my question is, why?

Is it Rex and his big mouth? It is New York? Is it because the expectations were high for the New York Jets? Why are the Jets the league's disaster but the other 14 teams in the league that are in the same boat or worse not considered a disaster?

What I really find interesting about all this is that none of these teams have lost their best offensive player and their best defensive player (arguably the best defender in the league) and none of them have to suffer through having the worst QB in the league.

Dont get me wrong. The Jets suck. I get that but the Jets could end up 7-9, 8-8 and maybe even with a miracle (Tebow or McElroy) they win out and go 9-7. With the schedule they have remaining, those are real possibilities. So my next question is, are those the records of a team you'd consider a disaster? And if so, why? Because IMO, 2-14 is a disaster. 3-13. Not a team hovering around .500. Typically, I look at a team hovering around .500 as a team who could be a couple of moves way from being a playoff team.

I get this board cant see anything positive right now, so I'm not expecting a ton of people actually giving this thought, but those reasonable fans out there might have a perspective on this that I can appreciate.

P.S. - if the Jets lose out, I reserve the right to act like this thread never happened.

<3 you all.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think this is a good post and it requires perspective. That's something in short supply. Most Jets fans don't think about what it's like to be a jaguars fan, nor do they care. They do see what it's like to be a Giants fan and I think that's a huge part of the problem. Jacksonville doesn't have another team in Tallahassee (or wherever) winning super bowls.

I keep hearing this every where I turn. This board is a complete doom and gloom fest, rightfully so, but every major media outlet that I've paid any attention to is calling the Jets a disaster/circus/joke, whatever. I live in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have 2 wins. A local radio guy just called the Jets a disaster. WTF are the Jags? lol

I get it, they arent a very good Football team, but why are the Jets a disaster and get all the attention when over half the league has the same, or worse record. 11 teams in the NFL have a worse record than the Jets. And outside of the Eagles, none of them garner any national attention. 3 teams have the same record, 2 of them in our own division. Yet, I never hear about how those teams are a "disaster".

Is it Rex and his big mouth? It is New York? Is it because the expectations were high for the New York Jets? Why are the Jets the league's disaster but the other 14 teams in the league that are in the same boat or worse not considered a disaster?

What I really find interesting about all this is that none of these teams have lost their best offensive player and their best defensive player (arguably the best defender in the league) and none of them have to suffer through having the worst QB in the league.

Dont get me wrong. The Jets suck. I get that but the Jets could end up 7-9, 8-8 and maybe even with a miracle (Tebow or McElroy) they win out and go 9-7. With the schedule they have remaining, those are real possibilities. So my next question is, are those the records of a team you'd consider a disaster? And if so, why? Because IMO, 2-14 is a disaster. 3-13. Not a team hovering around .500. Typically, I look at a team hovering around .500 as a team who could be a couple of moves way from being a playoff team.

I get this board cant see anything positive right now, so I'm not expecting a ton of people actually giving this thought, but those reasonable fans out there might have a perspective on this that I can appreciate.

P.S. - if the Jets lose out, I reserve the right to act like this thread never happened.

<3 you all.

-Moves made out of seeming PR perspectives, rather than sound football moves.

-Coach guarantees Super Bowl

-Coach acts like a buffoon at time, calling attention to himself, and then his personal life leaks.

-Coach admittedly loses locker room last year, after a foolish Captain naming program

-Leaks to the media from players about other players

-Leaks to the media from coaches about decision making

-Accountability related to play time, seemingly absent

-The largest NFL market

A toxic mix that they have served up deservedly. People love to see big mouths fail.

<3 you all.

What I love is the media types who were predicting the Jets would be bad at the beginning of the season and were calling them a "circus" back then are now acting surprised by the Jets performance.

<3 you all.

JIF it could very well stem from the attention Rex has brought to the organization along with the aquisition of Tim Tebow. Thats not to say its his fault but bravado followed by failure usually brings out the worst in people and we all know how the media reacts to such things.

IMO the Jets can right the ship fairly quickly in todays NFL but they have to start by paying more attention to whats going on in the current NFL. Defense is always important but ignoring the skill players on offense is no longer an option. I think at this point Tanny is gone and there is a good possibility Rex is not far behind. If thats the case we need someone who has solid experience to run this organization. I don't have the answers to those questions but I would look towards Charlie Casserly to right the ship, some may disagree with that and point towards guys like Ross on the Giants and Im fine with that as well. All that being said I dont think this is a total disaster because it can be righted fairly quickly after all we have been in the playoffs a lot in the past 15 years and we certainly are not the Jags or the Browns or the Titans :).

i think this is a good post and it requires perspective. That's something in short supply. Most Jets fans don't think about what it's like to be a jaguars fan, nor do they care. They do see what it's like to be a Giants fan and I think that's a huge part of the problem. Jacksonville doesn't have another team in Tallahassee (or wherever) winning super bowls.

That's a very good point. I guess not living in New York since the 80's, I dont really feel the big brother syndrome that most Jets fan suffer from. Or growing up a Mets fan too, I'm just used to it. And its not like in the state of Florida, the Bucs or Dolphags are dominating the league - so Jags fan doesnt really have a team competing for headlines like the Jets.

Good point.

My opinion is its the combo of NY + Rex. His mouth gets backlash and since he's been mostly successful, were really havent seen it materialize till now.

JIF it could very well stem from the attention Rex has brought to the organization along with the aquisition of Tim Tebow. Thats not to say its his fault but bravado followed by failure usually brings out the worst in people and we all know how the media reacts to such things.

IMO the Jets can right the ship fairly quickly in todays NFL but they have to start by paying more attention to whats going on in the current NFL. Defense is always important but ignoring the skill players on offense is no longer an option. I think at this point Tanny is gone and there is a good possibility Rex is not far behind. If thats the case we need someone who has solid experience to run this organization. I don't have the answers to those questions but I would look towards Charlie Casserly to right the ship, some may disagree with that and point towards guys like Ross on the Giants and Im fine with that as well. All that being said I dont think this is a total disaster because it can be righted fairly quickly after all we have been in the playoffs a lot in the past 15 years and we certainly are not the Jags or the Browns or the Titans :).

Well said. I dont think the Jets are in utter despair like the media and this board portrays. I do think they could be turned around rather quickly with the right people making the calls. I once had a lot of faith in this regime and I've lost a lot of that this year. Who knows...but I think disaster is a harsh word that doesnt accurately depict the situation.

-Moves made out of seeming PR perspectives, rather than sound football moves.

-Coach guarantees Super Bowl

-Coach acts like a buffoon at time, calling attention to himself, and then his personal life leaks.

-Coach admittedly loses locker room last year, after a foolish Captain naming program

-Leaks to the media from players about other players

-Leaks to the media from coaches about decision making

-Accountability related to play time, seemingly absent

-The largest NFL market

A toxic mix that they have served up deservedly. People love to see big mouths fail.

This says it all.

Since we are talking about perspective, there is a big difference between a hick-town team with no expectations and the Jets who collectively claimed they were going to kick the door in to win the SB with what the HC said was their most talented team, best defense, blah, blah, blah, blah...

True perspective makes the Jets a far bigger disappointment than the Jags. The circus is just an added bonus.

The premise that "They are going to be 7-9 not 2-14 so it's not a disaster!" is silly. They would be better off for the long run being 2-14. Look at the colts. This team hasn't won a championship in 40 friggin years. And the present roster has ZERO chance at doing that. That's where it begins and ends for me. The roster just isn't talented enough to compete with the elite teams in the NFL and there is no clear plan to take it to that level yet they talk like they are and make complete fools of themselves.

Rex was propped up by mature, professional veteran players in his first 2 seasons. So stop referring to how he's won more than he lost. The reality is, this is who Rex is when he's left to his own devices to guide this team, provide leadership and overcome adversity. He sucks at it so far. Long-term, with the addition of new veterans that help stabilize Rex's shortcomings, we can hope that he's somewhere closer to how he was in years 1 and 2.

When the veterans were jettisoned, the locker room became a vulnerability, as did Rex's inability to lead. The team is built around a dumb quarterback who pouts, a bunch of me-first players, and a coach that looks in over his head... and the team is built by an under-qualified weasel, in Tanny.

They aren't a disaster... but they've built a skyscraper on a fault line.

Rex was propped up by mature, professional veteran players in his first 2 seasons. So stop referring to how he's won more than he lost. The reality is, this is who Rex is when he's left to his own devices to guide this team, provide leadership and overcome adversity. He sucks at it so far. Long-term, with the addition of new veterans that help stabilize Rex's shortcomings, we can hope that he's somewhere closer to how he was in years 1 and 2.

When the veterans were jettisoned, the locker room became a vulnerability, as did Rex's inability to lead. The team is built around a dumb quarterback who pouts, a bunch of me-first players, and a coach that looks in over his head... and the team is built by an under-qualified weasel, in Tanny.

They aren't a disaster... but they've built a skyscraper on a fault line.

They just aren't good enough. "Leadership" and other intangibles only matter when you have talent.

your perspective is right on JiF. You cant have an "easy" part of your sched if you are a disaster. Jax is a disaster.

Looking at last years draft picks, could it be that we are actually building for the future? DL is not a pick to put you over the top imo, it is a pick to build a foundation on top of. Are we going all out like we did Rex's first 2 years or are we building a foundation for our next QB? Are we reloading while remaining competitive? You have given me something to think about.

I hope we keep Rex, I think he will win a championship and it will be well deserved by him. He has taken the burden off of his players by talking about what he has to do to get better and never feeding them to the wolves(media). Now, I would like to see him chew a player out on the sidelines ala parcells but that may be something he is saving for year 5 of his HC tenure.

They just aren't good enough. "Leadership" and other intangibles only matter when you have talent.

Talent is a subjective term.

There is talent, in the from of pure and raw athleticism.

There is talent, in the form of ability developed over years of practice, training and hard work.

There is talent, in the form of intelligence, understanding the game and being one step ahead of your opponent.

There is talent, in the form of motivational ability, the genuine ability to inspire others towards greatness.

I could go on.

The reality is, I don't disagree with you. I do think we lack talent. However, I think we lack it in forms beyond athleticism. The Patriots aren't full of talented athletes, they are full of guys that bring those other talents to the table ten-fold. It's not just about having better athletes.

Rex isn't a very talented head coach. He doesn't possess the ability to oversee the whole operation for example. His talent is building loyalty between himself and his guys. His talent is scheming a defense. Other than that, he's not very talented in the areas we need him to be. The same could be said across the board for players and coaches.

Long story short, when I say we lack leadership... you should assume I mean we lack talented leadership, just as much as we lack talented athletes (whether it's intellectually or physically).

I think the main difference from the great teams and the rest of the league is that most of them maintain a core of good players/coaches year after year via the draft and smart free agency pick ups. The Jets are hit and miss when it comes to this.

It comes largely from being in New York, and being the New York Jets, who have a storied history of being an inept organization.

Then you have Woody Johnson trying to turn them into America's Team, and Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, and Hard Knocks all play into that.

The little brother syndrome is real. The jints win Super Bowls, the Jets fight their way onto the back page, anyway.

But this is a bad season, and the Jets offense is particularly awful. That gets noticed. Their QB situation is horrendous. That gets noticed, too.

But no, they're not nearly the disaster that some would have you believe.

<3 you all.

If the Jets lose out, I promise to bump this thread at least as often as you bump Max's satirical JiF is the best poster on the internet thread.

But I tend to think 7-9, 8-8, too.

The circus this week is a 3-way QB controversy. I don't think I've ever even heard of that before.

All 9-7's aren't created equally. The Jets have not beaten a team with a winning record since San Diego around the middle of 2011. If they had beaten 1 winning eam this year they would be competing for playoffs.

Our mascot resigned last week after the quarterback ran into his guard's ass, face first, on national television.

Our mascot resigned because of the negativity he received from the fan base for supporting the QB who ran into his guards ass. Mark Sanchez is a disaster, but are the Jets?

The premise that "They are going to be 7-9 not 2-14 so it's not a disaster!" is silly. They would be better off for the long run being 2-14. Look at the colts. This team hasn't won a championship in 40 friggin years. And the present roster has ZERO chance at doing that. That's where it begins and ends for me. The roster just isn't talented enough to compete with the elite teams in the NFL and there is no clear plan to take it to that level yet they talk like they are and make complete fools of themselves.

Yes, but the Colts were extremely lucky, pun intended. The Jets luck would be having a 1 win season with no real QB coming out, like this year.

But another way to spin this is, look at the Colts. A 1 win team a year ago looks much different with a competent QB. How much different would the Jets look with Andrew Luck? Not sure, but my guess would be the Jets would be battling for a playoff spot similar to the Colts.

My contention is, Mark Sanchez is a disaster. Shame on the Jets for not seeing that. I'm not positive this team is a disaster. I've said it before, its actually pretty amazing sometimes that they win games considering how bad the play is at the most important position in all of sports, dont care who the competition is.

your perspective is right on JiF. You cant have an "easy" part of your sched if you are a disaster. Jax is a disaster.

Looking at last years draft picks, could it be that we are actually building for the future? DL is not a pick to put you over the top imo, it is a pick to build a foundation on top of. Are we going all out like we did Rex's first 2 years or are we building a foundation for our next QB? Are we reloading while remaining competitive? You have given me something to think about.

I hope we keep Rex, I think he will win a championship and it will be well deserved by him. He has taken the burden off of his players by talking about what he has to do to get better and never feeding them to the wolves(media). Now, I would like to see him chew a player out on the sidelines ala parcells but that may be something he is saving for year 5 of his HC tenure.

I think this years draft was an indication that they are trying to rebuild while still being competitive. I think Rex says things to the media to instill confidence but I dont believe he ever really thought this was his most talented team. Its very clear they have to replace certain players that you can just cant sustain success with, most importantly QB and secondly the LB'ers.

I like Rex too. My biggest problem with him was his blind support of Sanchez. If he's moved on, I'd like to see him return. If he hasnt, then he should be fired.

The circus this week is a 3-way QB controversy. I don't think I've ever even heard of that before.

All 9-7's aren't created equally. The Jets have not beaten a team with a winning record since San Diego around the middle of 2011. If they had beaten 1 winning eam this year they would be competing for playoffs.

The Colts are 8-4? Are you not counting that because they were 2-2 at the time?

The Jets luck would be having a 1 win season with no real QB coming out, like this year.

The last time the Jets won 1 game was 1995. Their QB was Neil O'Donnell. With the #1 pick the took Keyshawn Johnson. There was no QB taken in the first round. Tony Banks and Bobby Hoying were the top two taken that year.

It IS our luck.

I see this mentioned a lot. So it made me look around the league. The truth is, this isnt just a Jets problem. By the sheer make up of the schedule, most teams get the majority of their wins from beating sub .500 teams and will have 1 or 2 maybe 3 (those teams typically play in a competitive division), wins sprinkled in there where they beat a team with a winning record. For example; the Patriots went 13-3 last season, didnt beat a single team with a winning record till the got to the post season.

Doesnt excuse the Jets. Its pathetic in fact. But they beat the Colts this season, they have a winning record...thats one more win vs. a team with a winning record than the Pats.

The last time the Jets won 1 game was 1995. Their QB was Neil O'Donnell. With the #1 pick the took Keyshawn Johnson. There was no QB taken in the first round. Tony Banks and Bobby Hoying were the top two taken that year.

It IS our luck.

And Peyton Manning avoided that draft like the plague because the Jets had the # 1 pick.

Archived