Are the Jets really a disaster?

JustInFudge

I keep hearing this every where I turn. This board is a complete doom and gloom fest, rightfully so, but every major media outlet that I've paid any attention to is calling the Jets a disaster/circus/joke, whatever. I live in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have 2 wins. A local radio guy just called the Jets a disaster. WTF are the Jags? lol

I get it, they arent a very good Football team, but why are the Jets a disaster and get all the attention when over half the league has the same, or worse record. 11 teams in the NFL have a worse record than the Jets. And outside of the Eagles, none of them garner any national attention. 3 teams have the same record, 2 of them in our own division. Yet, I never hear about how those teams are a "disaster".

So I guess my question is, why?

Is it Rex and his big mouth? It is New York? Is it because the expectations were high for the New York Jets? Why are the Jets the league's disaster but the other 14 teams in the league that are in the same boat or worse not considered a disaster?

What I really find interesting about all this is that none of these teams have lost their best offensive player and their best defensive player (arguably the best defender in the league) and none of them have to suffer through having the worst QB in the league.

Dont get me wrong. The Jets suck. I get that but the Jets could end up 7-9, 8-8 and maybe even with a miracle (Tebow or McElroy) they win out and go 9-7. With the schedule they have remaining, those are real possibilities. So my next question is, are those the records of a team you'd consider a disaster? And if so, why? Because IMO, 2-14 is a disaster. 3-13. Not a team hovering around .500. Typically, I look at a team hovering around .500 as a team who could be a couple of moves way from being a playoff team.

I get this board cant see anything positive right now, so I'm not expecting a ton of people actually giving this thought, but those reasonable fans out there might have a perspective on this that I can appreciate.

P.S. - if the Jets lose out, I reserve the right to act like this thread never happened.

<3 you all.

I think the reason that the Bills and Dolphins aren't getting national attention is because they are playing better than they have in recent years. Nobody really expected them to be playoff contenders. In fact, many experts expected the Fins to be a 2 or 3 win team, so they're well ahead of the game. In other words, both teams look to be "heading in the right direction".

The Jets, however, were expected to be at least as good as last season, and they started out well. Higher expectations means more angst when those expectations aren't met. Having a bombastic HC and then trading for a big name QB focused more attention on the team, and NOT in a good way. The Jets owner got what he wanted in trading for Tebow: he stole the preseason headlines from the Super Bowl winning Giants. The problem is, the name of the game in the NFL is about winning, NOT about making headlines.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but the Colts were extremely lucky, pun intended. The Jets luck would be having a 1 win season with no real QB coming out, like this year.

But another way to spin this is, look at the Colts. A 1 win team a year ago looks much different with a competent QB. How much different would the Jets look with Andrew Luck? Not sure, but my guess would be the Jets would be battling for a playoff spot similar to the Colts.

My contention is, Mark Sanchez is a disaster. Shame on the Jets for not seeing that. I'm not positive this team is a disaster. I've said it before, its actually pretty amazing sometimes that they win games considering how bad the play is at the most important position in all of sports, dont care who the competition is.

I think this years draft was an indication that they are trying to rebuild while still being competitive. I think Rex says things to the media to instill confidence but I dont believe he ever really thought this was his most talented team. Its very clear they have to replace certain players that you can just cant sustain success with, most importantly QB and secondly the LB'ers.

I like Rex too. My biggest problem with him was his blind support of Sanchez. If he's moved on, I'd like to see him return. If he hasnt, then he should be fired.

I think you need to question that, JiF. Does he really support Sanchez or is he forced to support Sanchez. After all of the things coming out the last 2 days along with everything that has been said about Sanchez's contract, I am not too sure he has blind faith as much as forced to start...

I think the reason that the Bills and Dolphins aren't getting national attention is because they are playing better than they have in recent years. Nobody really expected them to be playoff contenders. In fact, many experts expected the Fins to be a 2 or 3 win team, so they're well ahead of the game. In other words, both teams look to be "heading in the right direction".

The Jets, however, were expected to be at least as good as last season, and they started out well. Higher expectations means more angst when those expectations aren't met. Having a bombastic HC and then trading for a big name QB focused more attention on the team, and NOT in a good way. The Jets owner got what he wanted in trading for Tebow: he stole the preseason headlines from the Super Bowl winning Giants. The problem is, the name of the game in the NFL is about winning, NOT about making headlines.

are you kidding me? you were so sure the bills were going to roll this year. really, tell me you are kidding. your defense was going to be unbeatable. your offense was going to thrive after another year of cohesion. Please, please, please tell me you are kidding me that you didnt think this was the year you were going to make that big leap out of the afc east cellar.

Meh, saw plenty of places predicting the Jets with 3-5 wins. And twice as many saying the Bills were the 2nd best team in the division and playoff bound. The Bills and Dolphags are just irrelevant franchises, thats why nobody cares.

I think you need to question that, JiF. Does he really support Sanchez or is he forced to support Sanchez. After all of the things coming out the last 2 days along with everything that has been said about Sanchez's contract, I am not too sure he has blind faith as much as forced to start...

Not sure anymore. This whole season is such a cluster F, I really dont know what is what.

Not a circus as much as a comically bad team. Haven't cared this little in a long time and that's all due to Sanchez at QB. Can't recall a player who made me basically stop caring about a team. Maybe Marbury.

Agreed. Sanchez is a disaster. I guess the Jets are responsible for empowering that disaster but I'm not sure the entire team really is.

And Peyton Manning avoided that draft like the plague because the Jets had the # 1 pick.

Your wrong! He avoided that draft because Bill Parcells would not gaurantee he would be the # 1 overall pick.

Had Bill done so, he would have come out.

Bill would not commit, because the selfish prick knew he would not be around long enough to reap the rewards of developing a QB.

F Him!

Not a circus as much as a comically bad team. Haven't cared this little in a long time and that's all due to Sanchez at QB. Can't recall a player who made me basically stop caring about a team. Maybe Marbury.

Interesting how you put all the blame on the sh*tty player, yet you don't put the blame on the sh*tty FO and coach who, has the best seat in the house, and have kept that sh*tty QB with no alternatives.

Yeah, makes a lot of sense!

I keep hearing this every where I turn. This board is a complete doom and gloom fest, rightfully so, but every major media outlet that I've paid any attention to is calling the Jets a disaster/circus/joke, whatever. I live in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have 2 wins. A local radio guy just called the Jets a disaster. WTF are the Jags? lol

I get it, they arent a very good Football team, but why are the Jets a disaster and get all the attention when over half the league has the same, or worse record. 11 teams in the NFL have a worse record than the Jets. And outside of the Eagles, none of them garner any national attention. 3 teams have the same record, 2 of them in our own division. Yet, I never hear about how those teams are a "disaster".

So I guess my question is, why?

Is it Rex and his big mouth? It is New York? Is it because the expectations were high for the New York Jets? Why are the Jets the league's disaster but the other 14 teams in the league that are in the same boat or worse not considered a disaster?

What I really find interesting about all this is that none of these teams have lost their best offensive player and their best defensive player (arguably the best defender in the league) and none of them have to suffer through having the worst QB in the league.

Dont get me wrong. The Jets suck. I get that but the Jets could end up 7-9, 8-8 and maybe even with a miracle (Tebow or McElroy) they win out and go 9-7. With the schedule they have remaining, those are real possibilities. So my next question is, are those the records of a team you'd consider a disaster? And if so, why? Because IMO, 2-14 is a disaster. 3-13. Not a team hovering around .500. Typically, I look at a team hovering around .500 as a team who could be a couple of moves way from being a playoff team.

I get this board cant see anything positive right now, so I'm not expecting a ton of people actually giving this thought, but those reasonable fans out there might have a perspective on this that I can appreciate.

P.S. - if the Jets lose out, I reserve the right to act like this thread never happened.

<3 you all.

It's all about direction IMO!

When Rex came in, he was a breath of fresh air.

He played on all of Mangini's weakness, read and react, blah blah blah.

He took a very talented team and lucked out with them.

Now, here we sit in year 4, and it is clear this team is headed backwards.

We went from 9-7 to 11-5 to 8-8 to now 5-7.

What's worse is there is nothing you can point to on this entire team as saying, this is how we will win our championship.

They have put all their eggs in a defense and a QB, who are average and suck, respectively.

So, we have an old aging defense, who is average AT BEST!

No QB.

No skill players on offense.

A suspect AT BEST OC.

This is NOT what you hope for in year 4 of your program.

You want to see improvement, you want to see progress, you want to see a plan.

I think everyone could have dealt with a bad year or two, if it was part of a rebuilding process, but this is NOT rebuilding, this is as Rex put it, "his most talented team".

Well, if this is as good as it will get under Rex, yes, this is a Fng disaster.

We are years, years away from being a good team again, and that is if we start doing things right, which we don't do.

I have no interest in 8-8 football, which is what this year will turn out to be.

It's not about the circus, it's not about the Giants, it's about year 4 of a program sucking ass, with nothing to look forward to, that is the disaster.

I have no interest in 8-8 football, which is what this year will turn out to be.

It's not about the circus, it's not about the Giants, it's about year 4 of a program sucking ass, with nothing to look forward to, that is the disaster.

i think Jif's original point is that 8-8 is not really a disaster or sucking ass. It's average. Jacksonville would kill for 8-8. It's about expectations and Jets fans have extremely high expectations. We expect them to be the Giants. or better. but there's no logical reason to expect greatness, especially when the team's best player (by far) is injured in week 3.

i think Jif's original point is that 8-8 is not really a disaster or sucking ass. It's average. Jacksonville would kill for 8-8. It's about expectations and Jets fans have extremely high expectations. We expect them to be the Giants. or better. but there's no logical reason to expect greatness, especially when the team's best player (by far) is injured in week 3.

They talk like they are the Giants or better and they have gotten worse every year they have been here.

Jacksonville has sucked for years now, Bills have sucked for years now.

They are a bad plan that is not working.

We have gone backwards.

Staying bad sucks, but going from good to bad is much worse.

Staying bad sucks, but going from good to bad is much worse.

the Jets went from 11-5 to 8-8. that's not good to bad it's good to average. Maybe being close to success makes it more painful but the general point that the Jets are not a disaster is a sound one. THere are 2 and 3 win teams in this league, that's a disaster. the Jets are a disaster by NY standards but don't be surprised if they win out and have a winning season. which would make 3 out of 4 for Rex.

the Jets went from 11-5 to 8-8. that's not good to bad it's good to average. Maybe being close to success makes it more painful but the general point that the Jets are not a disaster is a sound one. THere are 2 and 3 win teams in this league, that's a disaster. the Jets are a disaster by NY standards but don't be surprised if they win out and have a winning season. which would make 3 out of 4 for Rex.

I disagree.

I also look at the fact that this team has NOTHING going for it right now.

No QB.

No WR's.

No RB's.

An average at best Defense.

Getting the pieces in here to be successful is going to be a very long process.

There are no fixes at QB either in the draft or in FA.

There are so many holes on this team.

They are poorly coached.

They have NOTHING going for them.

If you think that is anything short of a disaster, enjoy it, I think it is a colossal F up.

There is 8-8 with promise and a future and there is 8-8 with a putrid offense and a declining D. They are an UGLY 8-8.

There is 8-8 with promise and a future and there is 8-8 with a putrid offense and a declining D. They are an UGLY 8-8.

Yup, they will need to have a great offseason just to be 8-8 next year, makes me want to vomit for year 5 of the Rex Ryan era.

Your wrong! He avoided that draft because Bill Parcells would not gaurantee he would be the # 1 overall pick.

Had Bill done so, he would have come out.

Bill would not commit, because the selfish prick knew he would not be around long enough to reap the rewards of developing a QB.

F Him!

Yeah, f*** Parcells! He only rebuilt the franchise, and even the residual effects of his time here benefitted guys like Herm and Mangini. But f*** Parcells, all his fault!

I bet the Jets could hang within 25 of the Patriots, if they played them now.

Well, Sanchez IS a disaster. And Tannenbaum is looking like a disaster as a GM, now that there is a true body of work to examine. My only gripe with Rex is that dumbass persona he displays. Teams can have the same record but be going in opposite directions. The can also have bad records and have people in place that their fans can trust. I think the fact that our talent selector is a disaster, and our first round draft pick QB is a disaster probably qualify us as a disaster, regardless of record.

Now, here we sit in year 4, and it is clear this team is headed backwards.

We went from 9-7 to 11-5 to 8-8 to now 5-7.

The differences in those records arent that drastic. Pretty much hovering around the same kind of team. And my whole point is, I wouldnt call it a disaster.

Yeah, Bit is following.

And again, I'm not even debating that the team is doing well or going in the right direction, just trying to put to a rest the notion that the team is a disaster.

They are a disaster in the sense they're a professional organization playing in NY with absolutely no direction. None of the moves the Jets make have any long term plan in mind.

I disagree. They spent last season and the season before locking up the nucleus to a team that had some success (Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Holmes, Sanchez). They've drafted in areas that were necessary for aging/declining players - Mo Wilk, Coples, Davis, Hill, Vlad, Powell, Kerley, etc. Those are all picks/moves with the long term in mind.

Whether they are good moves or not is certainly debatable.

I disagree. They spent last season and the season before locking up the nucleus to a team that had some success (Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Holmes, Sanchez). They've drafted in areas that were necessary for aging/declining players - Mo Wilk, Coples, Davis, Hill, Vlad, Powell, Kerley, etc. Those are all picks/moves with the long term in mind.

Whether they are good moves or not is certainly debatable.

No QB

No pass rush

When you have a win now top heavy team and the "top" isn't talented its a disaster. When you trade away draft picks for high priced so-so veterans and have some horrible drafts with high first round busts you are a disaster. When you have a coach that cant seem to shut the hell up and it an embarrassment you are a disaster. Trader Mike getting canned will be the first step to recovery.

Archived