Schefter - Sanchez playing

aec4

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That he listens to his boss like you and me?

I think Woody is more Rex's boss than Tanny, I could be wrong of course.

In the NFL usually the coach is the much more valuable commodity than the GM.

Ecspecially when your GM is not a traiditonal NFL GM, but more of a cap/contract guy.

Btw, Rec should call Eric Mangini to get his perspective on how wise it is to stay loyal to Tannenbaum

Mangini was fired by Woody, not Tanny.

Mangini was way too boring for Woody, Tanny and Mangini are still good friends to this day.

or Tanny told him to play Mark.

Yup.

If so, what does that say about Rex?

That he listens to his boss?

Earlier, we get the scoop that Rex and Woody want to go with McElroy while Tannenbaum and Sparano want Sanchez. Today we find out they're going with Sanchez. Think that earlier leak was an accident? No way. Rex knew which way his boss would want to go, and he wants it to be clear that he doesn't agree. The Woody association is interesting, too. Maybe he's looking to dispel the idea that he meddles too much in the football side of things by taking the "losing side" of this debate.

I still think he went against orders when he pulled Sanchez in the first place. It'll be interesting to see how short a leash Mark has this Sunday.

Yup.

That he listens to his boss?

Earlier, we get the scoop that Rex and Woody want to go with McElroy while Tannenbaum and Sparano want Sanchez. Today we find out they're going with Sanchez. Think that earlier leak was an accident? No way. Rex knew which way his boss would want to go, and he wants it to be clear that he doesn't agree. The Woody association is interesting, too. Maybe he's looking to dispel the idea that he meddles too much in the football side of things by taking the "losing side" of this debate.

I still think he went against orders when he pulled Sanchez in the first place. It'll be interesting to see how short a leash Mark has this Sunday.

So let me get this straight, Tanny is Rex's boss, and Woody is Tanny's boss.

So Rex has to listen to his boss, but Tanny does not?

And, Rex does not have to listen to his boss's boss?

Holy F'd up?

You are deducing a lot from made up sources.

So let me get this straight, Tanny is Rex's boss, and Woody is Tanny's boss.

So Rex has to listen to his boss, but Tanny does not?

And, Rex does not have to listen to his boss's boss?

Holy F'd up?

You are deducing a lot from made up sources.

I really don't know who Woody really wants out there. If he and the head coach really want McElroy, that's clearly who should be playing. Yet that's not what's happening. So what is?

My feeling is that Woody took the fan friendly side in the press, looking to clean up his meddling image, and threw Tannenbaum under the bus.

Cimini reporting it as well:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8713203/rex-ryan-new-york-jets-stick-mark-sanchez-starting-qb-vs-jacksonville-jaguars

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. The New York Jets aren't ready to try a "Hail McElroy" just yet.

More on ESPNNewYork.com

cimini_rich_m.jpg This was the safest move for Rex Ryan. It demonstrates the organization's commitment to Sanchez, its willingness to make it work, writes Rich Cimini. Blog

After mulling the most important decision of his head-coaching career, Rex Ryan decided to stick with embattled starting quarterback Mark Sanchez, the team announced Wednesday morning.

Backup Greg McElroy, the new fan favorite after rallying the Jets to a 7-6 win over the Arizona Cardinals, will remain on the bench with Tim Tebow -- for now.

Ryan, who informed the entire team of his decision to start Sanchez at its 8 a.m. meeting, will address the media at 11: 45 a.m. Wednesday.

The next question becomes the No. 2 job. Ryan apparently isn't ready to make that announcement. That will depend largely on Tebow's health, according to a source.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter expects Mark Sanchez to remain the Jets' starting QB. Schefter also discusses Michael Vick, Alex Smith, Chip Kelly, the NFL draft and more.

More Podcasts »

Ryan benched Sanchez for the first time in his career, fueling a quarterback controversy. It intensified when McElroy, in his NFL debut, led the struggling offense to its only score.

Sanchez, coming off a three-interception nightmare, will return to his familiar role Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. That the game is on the road should help him; he won't have to deal with the venom of the New York fans, many of whom have turned on him in recent weeks.

Ryan was noncommittal Sunday and Monday, claiming he needed time to make the decision. It was the first time in three-plus season he didn't publicly back Sanchez as his starter. Ryan said he wanted to have an "open discussion" with his staff.

That occurred Tuesday, sources said, as he huddled with owner Woody Johnson, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.

Despite his struggles, Sanchez still has support within the organization, including the offensive coaching staff.

Financially, they have a lot invested in him, including $8.25 million in guaranteed money for 2013.

Sanchez, drafted fifth overall in 2009, helped the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons. Since then, his record is 13-15, with 44 turnovers. How Tebow fits into the equation remains to be seen. He's recovering from fractured ribs, which kept him out last week. He was the No. 2 quarterback for the first 11 games, but it's possible he could be deactivated for the second straight week.

Its the right decision for a couple reasons:

1) If you bench him for good, he will shrivel up and we will be eating his salary next year as a clipboard toter.

2) see how well he reacts to his benching, maybe it will open his eyes (but probably not)

Guarantee the rope will be shorter this week, if he sucks Rex won't wait till the 3rd quarter to yank him.

+1

If it weren't for the Tebow factor I would have been 100% sure they would just start Sanchez with a shorter leash. The Tebow thing is a monkey wrench, because when he comes back we have to wonder who is the #2 QB and who takes over next time Sanchez is benched.

I don't think it will be such a big deal because there haven't been 3 Sanchezes. He's not good, bad or indifferent. He's good or he sucks. It will probably be pretty easy to tell if he is putting the ball on people or throwing INTs and bouncing it four feet in front of guys. Four series.

After much speculation as to who would be the starting Jets quarterback this week it is being reported the team has chosen Mark Sanchez to start the upcoming game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.

An ineffective Sanchez was pulled late in last week’s game versus the Arizona Cardinals in favor of the game-day backup Greg McElroy, who led the team to a win.  McElroy’s performance sparked a debate as to whether he should start this week and it was also reported while coach Rex Ryan, offensive coach Tony Sparano and general manager Mike Tannenbaum wanted Sanchez owner Woody Johnson preferred McElroy.

Sanchez was given a contract extension in March which included a guaranteed salary for 2013 and the feeling is this might be driving the decision to return Sanchez as a starter.

Jets fans are sounding off in our

Its the right decision for a couple reasons:

1) If you bench him for good, he will shrivel up and we will be eating his salary next year as a clipboard toter.

2) see how well he reacts to his benching, maybe it will open his eyes (but probably not)

Guarantee the rope will be shorter this week, if he sucks Rex won't wait till the 3rd quarter to yank him.

It's the NFL version of weekend at Bernie's.

I support Sanchez but this really is a slap dick decision. A break from the boos/scruitny could have served him well. Sometimes you have to make tough temporary decsions with the future in mind.

I think the only thing that saves Tannys job is 4 straight convincing wins where Mark plays above average. Maybe he's aware of that and this is his hail mary.

I really don't know who Woody really wants out there. If he and the head coach really want McElroy, that's clearly who should be playing. Yet that's not what's happening. So what is?

My feeling is that Woody took the fan friendly side in the press, looking to clean up his meddling image, and threw Tannenbaum under the bus.

I really dont believe reports on Woody supporting GMAC, if anyone it would be Tebow

Peter Schwartzof FAN reporting that "some Jets players" are not going to be happy about this decision.

Yes. Everyone else on the roster.

This is complete and utter bullshit. They are making a football move for non football reasons (money). The entire team played better under McElroy. Handing Sanchez his job back is a joke and a disgrace.

This whole regime needs to be fired at the end of the season.

How the F can you put Sanchez back in just 5 days after being yanked after maybe the worst performance of his career.

What, is this the beginning of the "Mark Sanchez reclamation project" ?

You couldn't get it right the first time. What makes the Jets think that benching Sanchez for a qtr is going to suddenly open his eyes ?

Please just blow this whole thing up and start over

There is no way that the Arizona game was the worst performance of his career. It might not even be in his 5 worst performances. After not even 4 years as a starter. How pathetic is that?

This is complete and utter bullsh*t. They are making a football move for non football reasons (money). The entire team played better under McElroy. Handing Sanchez his job back is a joke and a disgrace.

They are playing the more proven QB while they still are in the playoff hunt, albeit a long shot. While I could care less which way they go, this isn't just about money. They are giving themselves a chance to win.

This is complete and utter bullsh*t. They are making a football move for non football reasons (money). The entire team played better under McElroy. Handing Sanchez his job back is a joke and a disgrace.

Hey u aren't allowed to have an opinion, just moderate will ya?

Jets Jaguars. I mean honestly who cares.

That's probably the thinking. Jets are on the road, with Sanchez safely away from the rabid fans who rightfully want his head on a platter, playing a true disaster of an NFL franchise. There's no better opportunity for Mark to regain a little bit of confidence.

If he stumbles, and the Jets find themselves losing, the speed with which Rex replaces him will give us a better idea of what went on in that alleged braintrust meeting.

That should be one great big dumbass press conference at 11:45---which I wil not watch, of course. I can just imagine Rex reciting with a straight face and his hands folded on the podium in front of him-that Sanchez gives him the "best chance to win." And when asked why he feels that way? "Because I do." Just too dumbass for me. I am now officially in Fire Rex mode. If he did not want this, then he should have said that he would walk if he could not start who he wanted. I can only assume that this is his decision. If he has not got enough pull to throw out an ultimatum, he is not long for the job anyway.

Archived