Mark Sanchez, New York Jets doomed from lack of planning

greeniemeanie

I think this article hits the nail right on the head...

http://www.nfl.com/n...ack-of-planning

Mark Sanchez, New York Jets doomed by lack of planning

• Darlington_author-65x90.jpg
  • By Jeff Darlington
  • Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:19 a.m.

In his attempt to explain the unexplainable -- a three-way quarterback competition during Week 14 of a 17-week season -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan dug deep into his near-empty bag Monday to pull out the only line left in a season of failed rhetoric.

This decision, he said, would be based on "what gives us the best opportunity to beat Jacksonville." A pretty innocent quote, sure. Nobody should have expected Ryan to say anything else, not given the precedent that has already been set.

But now that Ryan has put Sanchez back in the big-boy seat, just three days after he sent him to timeout, we can conclusively view this situation as what it is: This is the Jets' way. No plan beyond today. No future beyond the moment. Carpe diem, everybody! Man, Henry David Thoreau would be so proud.

Indeed, as Ryan said, it's all about finding a way to beat the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday. Just like the decision to give Sanchez a significant extension was all about that moment, with no consideration for the future. Just like the decision to trade for Tim Tebow was all about that moment, with no regard for his actual ability, both good and bad.

Case in point: The decision to extend Sanchez's deal by three years, even while the rest of the NFL community could clearly see his vulnerabilities, created some nice salary-cap space for the time being. It would have been a savvy front-office move, if not for the fact that Sanchez had yet to finish a season with a QB rating above 80.

But wait, don't forget about all of the other reasons that the team decided to extend Sanchez. You know, like the failed flirtations with Peyton Manning, another mismanaged effort that saw the Jets neglect to consider the long-term repercussions of Manning predictably deciding to pass on joining a circus like the one in New York.

Everyone will say the Jets made the right decision to start Sanchez on Sunday, and that's fine. But making the "right" decision shouldn't be confused with making a "good" decision. So if Sanchez beats the Jaguars (ranked 28th against the pass) this week, and if he beats the Tennessee Titans (ranked 26th against the pass) next week, are the Jets going to assume they escaped this quandary in better shape? Please.

Of course, they will. After all, for the moment, the problem will have been solved. And it's all about the moment. It's all about squinting your eyes so tightly that anything in the distance is too blurry to worry about.

Man, if only the Jets could have quietly benched Sanchez last week, while Tebow was inactive with broken ribs, only to have Greg McElroy provide Ryan with his very own Colin Kaepernick moment. Then he'd never have to look back. He could justify keeping Tebow on the sideline. He could justify paying Sanchez $8.25 million next year to hold a clipboard. Alas, it didn't happen.

No Kaepernick here. No Russell Wilson. No "hot hand" to get the Jets out of another jam. And it should be no surprise, either.

The Jets are left to start a quarterback whose body of work is extensive enough to conclusively show exactly what he is. Since 1980, there have been only three other quarterbacks selected with a top-five draft pick who have played four seasons without a passer rating above 80. The names? Rick Mirer. Tim Couch. And Joey Harrington. That's the company we're talking about here -- a handful of quarterbacks who were given every chance to succeed and never really did.

Amazingly, the Jets have managed at least one situation with the future in mind: They've left Tebow on the bench. After all, if they played Tebow, they'd have to alter the entire offense. And that would require -- gulp -- planning beyond one week!

We don't even need to begin diving into everything wrong with the way this team has managed the Tebow situation, from beginning to end. It's rather easy to summarize in just one quick sentence: The Jets traded for a player who was notoriously bad in practice but a notorious winner in games, only to decide not to play him much in games because he's bad in practice. Brilliant, indeed.

Rather than enter into the dark world of unknowns, the Jets will simply continue to live in their failed present. They will keep living without a good plan for the future, making decisions with a one-week-at-a-time mentality that only really works when it's a cliché coming from the likes of Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.

So go ahead, Jets. Seize that day. Enjoy the moment. At this point, it's probably the smart thing to do. Especially when your job tomorrow is far from guaranteed.

I don't necessarily agree with this decision but I still support the Jets and will root for them through the rest of the season. I want them to win games, not lose them. This article, about how Tebow can secretly save the team, is bullcrap. Mark is terrible but it makes sense that Rex and co believe he's still the best Qb on the team. I know how bad that sounds. But it is what it is. Greg McElroy is different but not necessarily better.

I don't necessarily agree with this decision but I still support the Jets and will root for them through the rest of the season. I want them to win games, not lose them. This article, about how Tebow can secretly save the team, is bullcrap. Mark is terrible but it makes sense that Rex and co believe he's still the best Qb on the team. I know how bad that sounds. But it is what it is. Greg McElroy is different but not necessarily better.

I didn't necessarily take his comments as meaning that Tebow could save the team. I thought it was just another indictment of poor planning on the Jets decision to trade for him... I don't think that Tebow would save them either. I just think that there is an apparent case of myopic decision making involved with the Jets decisions...

We KNOW what Sanchez is. (At least everyone but the ****ing morons in the Jets FO knows) We don't know what McElroy is.

I didn't necessarily take his comments as meaning that Tebow could save the team. I thought it was just another indictment of poor planning on the Jets decision to trade for him... I don't think that Tebow would save them either. I just think that there is an apparent case of myopic decision making involved with the Jets decisions...

Sorry if I don't buy into the whole "notorious winner in games" nonsense about Tebow. Sanchez and Pennington have gone on winning streaks, how did that work out in the long run. Hell, Ryan Leaf once won back to back games. A lot of QBs had hot streaks (with much better numbers than Tebow put up) only to spend the rest of their careers trying desperately to live up to that one hot streak they had way back when.

The sample size is just way too small to accurately refer to Tebow as a "winner." Not to mention that he finished the season by losing three in a row, including dropping games to Buffalo and Kansas City. In fact, if you include the postseason, Tebow lost four of the last five games he started. Winner? Hardly.

The Jets probably think that sending Sanchez out to face a cake defense will make them look good. Don't they realize that everyone in the league now knows that when you send an extra rusher after Mark he either goes fetal or unloads the pass? I actually expect him to continue making dumb plays this week. It's a mental state.

Damning "Since 1980, there have been only three other quarterbacks selected with a top-five draft pick who have played four seasons without a passer rating above 80. The names? Rick Mirer. Tim Couch. And Joey Harrington. That's the company we're talking about here -- a handful of quarterbacks who were given every chance to succeed and never really did."

Sorry if I don't buy into the whole "notorious winner in games" nonsense about Tebow. Sanchez and Pennington have gone on winning streaks, how did that work out in the long run. Hell, Ryan Leaf once won back to back games. A lot of QBs had hot streaks (with much better numbers than Tebow put up) only to spend the rest of their careers trying desperately to live up to that one hot streak they had way back when.

The sample size is just way too small to accurately refer to Tebow as a "winner." Not to mention that he finished the season by losing three in a row, including dropping games to Buffalo and Kansas City. In fact, if you include the postseason, Tebow lost four of the last five games he started. Winner? Hardly.

You speak as though Tebow had a world of prep before taking over a team that had a 1.8% chance of making the playoffs... Peyton Manning has only won seven in row eight times in his career... Tebow went six without any first team reps. The donkeys suck without a QB, Manning and Tebow both proved that. Rex saying Mark gives us the best chance to win is exactly what that John Fox said until Orton sucked so bad he had to replace him.

Like it or not, put aside your personal vendetta or not, Tebow is a winner... He just has to have a lot of adaptation to how he has played in the past, BUT..out of all three currently on the roster, even in light of how much more enthusiasm even Gmac brought into the game, Tebow would do whatever it takes to succeed ...bet that.

How could McElroy possibly do worse than Sanchez? Because that's what we've come to. No one could be worse so why not see someone else? At least the game will be a little more watchable.

Damning "Since 1980, there have been only three other quarterbacks selected with a top-five draft pick who have played four seasons without a passer rating above 80. The names? Rick Mirer. Tim Couch. And Joey Harrington. That's the company we're talking about here -- a handful of quarterbacks who were given every chance to succeed and never really did."

That is an awesome stat and does not bode well for Sanchez ever being able to play in this league.

Eli Manning had a passer rating below 80 for his first 4 years in the league, too.

You speak as though Tebow had a world of prep before taking over a team that had a 1.8% chance of making the playoffs... Peyton Manning has only won seven in row eight times in his career... Tebow went six without any first team reps. The donkeys suck without a QB, Manning and Tebow both proved that. Rex saying Mark gives us the best chance to win is exactly what that John Fox said until Orton sucked so bad he had to replace him.

Like it or not, put aside your personal vendetta or not, Tebow is a winner... He just has to have a lot of adaptation to how he has played in the past, BUT..out of all three currently on the roster, even in light of how much more enthusiasm even Gmac brought into the game, Tebow would do whatever it takes to succeed ...bet that.

Actually, Tebow won a game, lost a game, then won six in a row, then lost three in a row.

Peyton Manning has "only" won 7 or more in row 8 times? "Only?" That's ****ing amazing! That's not "only" anything.

Dude, I want to make it clear that I am not defending Sanchez, but if Tebow is a "winner" then Sanchez is a football god for going to back to back AFC Championship games playing nothing but road playoff games. Please. I love the floating bar that people insist on using when judging players. I don't dislike Tebow, I think he's a sh*tty football player - huge difference.

Tebow had no prep when he took over the Broncos? He was on the team for two years and attended every practice during training camp plus the five weeks he sat before being handed the starting chance another guy earned by outplaying him in the preseason. That's preparation whether you like it or not. Why do Tebow fans insist on treating him like he's the average intelligence kid in the remedial reading class? He's not a good NFL QB and his play backs that up. You don't win long term in the NFL by sucking for 3-3/4 quarters every damn week.

Actually, Tebow won a game, lost a game, then won six in a row, then lost three in a row.

Peyton Manning has "only" won 7 or more in row 8 times? "Only?" That's ****ing amazing! That's not "only" anything.

Dude, I want to make it clear that I am not defending Sanchez, but if Tebow is a "winner" then Sanchez is a football god for going to back to back AFC Championship games playing nothing but road playoff games. Please. I love the floating bar that people insist on using when judging players. I don't dislike Tebow, I think he's a sh*tty football player - huge difference.

Tebow had no prep when he took over the Broncos? He was on the team for two years and attended every practice during training camp plus the five weeks he sat before being handed the starting chance another guy earned by outplaying him in the preseason. That's preparation whether you like it or not. Why do Tebow fans insist on treating him like he's the average intelligence kid in the remedial reading class? He's not a good NFL QB and his play backs that up. You don't win long term in the NFL by sucking for 3-3/4 quarters every damn week.

Word.

I still don't know why they traded for Tebow. That move makes zero sense to me. However, once they pulled the trigger on it, I had no choice but to wait and see. In hindsight, they should have stood pat after they signed Stanton. They also never should have made a push for Manning, Nnamdi, etc. They should have addressed the needs of WR, OL, LB, etc.... It just seems like the Jets are not motivated by winning, they are motivated by selling headlines...

Quite honestly, I'm just sick of it all. Tannenbaum has gotten us into this mess, he needs to go. WTF would you fire Schotty to pick Sparano up? Makes no sense. Hardly any of it makes sense. Especially not giving the rock to McElroy to see what he's got...

It's been rough for all of us being a fan of the Jets, and I honestly don't know how much more I have left in the tank for this kind of crap...

Good article...funny how Rex's team is built to win only one way...7-6 or 13-9 defense dominated games...the key is to have the game manager QB who protects the football...McElroy plays that role...Sanchez does not...the decision the team made has zero to with the competition but how does it reflect the bottom line...money making...the true debate is how the decision impacted the regime's ability to stay employed versus Woody's desire to milk the fans for more dough.

Wake me up in 2014. This team is a snoozefest.

My reason for using the word "only" wasn't to minimize, it was used for comparison..it isn't often any QB has six or seven games in a row..and Tebow managed it in his first time as starter..after a loss as you mentioned.

I am merely making a case that the continuance of "Tebow isn't an NFL QB" is erroneous, and likewise, so is "Tebow isn't a winner" themes.. it just isn't. He may be a dork, he may be weird, he may be a rapture bunny, he may be whatever..but he damn sure is a winning QB when he gets to play long enough.

If he sucks balls so bad, I am wondering why the insistence he never show it.. I continually get the impression that people want to cover their own asses when it comes to evaluation, they pegged him as a loser..and don't want to see anything different.

Since we are mincing words like "only" He wasn't on the team for two years, last year was his second year...and he had NO reps with the first team until after game five. There is a huge difference between practicing with the seconds and firsts.

As for him sucking 3 3/4s of the game, that wasn't always the case, I know he has issues, it is obvious that his delivery *has been* an issue..don't know how bad that still is.. and he had a tendency to tuck the ball and use his feet..

I personally don't care what the delivery looks like if it gets the job done, and I would much rather a QB take off and try to get the play than just fold every time the back field gets crowded like Mark does.

you make no sense. You talk about sample size that you cant classify tebow as a winner then you turn right around and say hes a loser.....

sample size!

Dear God. This is moronic. All I hear is "Our coach is a clown!" "Why does he talk so much to the media?" "Why can't he be like Belichick?" "Blah, blah, blah, bulletin board". Then he spits out the oldest cliche in the book. The one every coach gets handed when they sign their contract and we have a full article and a thread devoted to dissecting it? ****ing A.

Dear God. This is moronic. All I hear is "Our coach is a clown!" "Why does he talk so much to the media?" "Why can't he be like Belichick?" "Blah, blah, blah, bulletin board". Then he spits out the oldest cliche in the book. The one every coach gets handed when they sign their contract and we have a full article and a thread devoted to dissecting it? ****ing A.

Rex is a clown.

He loves the all attention from the media while other HCs see dealing with the press as a pain in the azz. Theres no telling what "Rex the Clown" will say next.

My reason for using the word "only" wasn't to minimize, it was used for comparison..it isn't often any QB has six or seven games in a row..and Tebow managed it in his first time as starter..after a loss as you mentioned.

I am merely making a case that the continuance of "Tebow isn't an NFL QB" is erroneous, and likewise, so is "Tebow isn't a winner" themes.. it just isn't. He may be a dork, he may be weird, he may be a rapture bunny, he may be whatever..but he damn sure is a winning QB when he gets to play long enough.

If he sucks balls so bad, I am wondering why the insistence he never show it.. I continually get the impression that people want to cover their own asses when it comes to evaluation, they pegged him as a loser..and don't want to see anything different.

Since we are mincing words like "only" He wasn't on the team for two years, last year was his second year...and he had NO reps with the first team until after game five. There is a huge difference between practicing with the seconds and firsts.

As for him sucking 3 3/4s of the game, that wasn't always the case, I know he has issues, it is obvious that his delivery *has been* an issue..don't know how bad that still is.. and he had a tendency to tuck the ball and use his feet..

I personally don't care what the delivery looks like if it gets the job done, and I would much rather a QB take off and try to get the play than just fold every time the back field gets crowded like Mark does.

I

you make no sense. You talk about sample size that you cant classify tebow as a winner then you turn right around and say hes a loser.....

sample size!

Show me where I said he was a loser? I said he sucks. I didn't say he was a loser.

How do you characterize a QB who is 9-7 as an NFL starter as this big "winner?"

I

Show me where I said he was a loser? I said he sucks. I didn't say he was a loser.

How do you characterize a QB who is 9-7 as an NFL starter as this big "winner?"

oh i took sucking as looser. Im not saying you can classify him a winner but i still dont know if he sucks either. Hes never had an offseason or a full starting year for that matter. Sample size way small lol.

Yeah. He might say "gives us the best chance to win." Can you imagine?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the article about the actions and not words of this regime? Does Sanchez give us the best chance to win? Did he against Arizona? Are we a ground and pound offense? If so, doesn't accuracy and minimizing turnovers play a bigger role in that sort of offense?

Either I'm missing the point that you're trying to make, or you're missing the point of the article, IMO...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the article about the actions and not words of this regime? Does Sanchez give us the best chance to win? Did he against Arizona? Are we a ground and pound offense? If so, doesn't accuracy and minimizing turnovers play a bigger role in that sort of offense?

Either I'm missing the point that you're trying to make, or you're missing the point of the article, IMO...

Eh you're right. The article goes on about plenty of actions, but it acts as if this decision and trite quote necessarily mean something. It is certainly possible that Sanchez actually gives us the best chance to win. In fact, it's pretty likely. It's also pretty likely that McElroy isn't the future and that everybody involved knows that already too. What are we losing? A valuable opportunity to evaluate McElroy? To that I say Whoopty Damn Doo.

Eh you're right. The article goes on about plenty of actions, but it acts as if this decision and trite quote necessarily mean something. It is certainly possible that Sanchez actually gives us the best chance to win. In fact, it's pretty likely. It's also pretty likely that McElroy isn't the future and that everybody involved knows that already too. What are we losing? A valuable opportunity to evaluate McElroy? To that I say Whoopty Damn Doo.

We're losing a chance for the regime to show us that they are competent and have a clue what they are doing.

Especially considering this is Rex and Co. full time jobs.

Good points. I'm not so sure that the people involved know much about anything at this point, but then again they get paid to work in the NFL and I don't.

Something needs to change. This much, we all know. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to see what we have with McElroy. We tried it the other way. Those results aren't too impressive. And those results were in direct relation to the decisions of "everyone involved"...

We're losing a chance for the regime to show us that they are competent and have a clue what they are doing.

Dude they could win out and win the super bowl and you wouldn't admit competence. In fact the majority of this board has complained that they make moves "for the money" or "for the media" or "for the fans." They know this isn't going to be popular n with the fans. If they give up on Sanchez and go with McElroy they get the opportunity to try blame it all on Mark and get off the way people were blaming Schottenhiemer. Maybe they just think this is the right move. There is a pretty good chance that it is. Sort of like a blow to the head is better than a knife to the chest, but better none the less.

Archived