The Case for Tim Tebow

TTTTebowAndTheJets

Really? I said that? Thanks for putting words in MY mouth.

Listen, in the games where Sanchez sometimes plays well.... he throws the ball 20 times. Tebow could have done that for us, and been running the ball out of more formations than the stupid wildcat, to make our running game more of an asset.

Tebow is the exact type of win ugly, ground and pound QB that Rex needed and he was right under his nose and he did nothing with him.

So what time period did you mean this to be?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is better than having one of the worst starting QBs in the league and winning 3-5 games. Isn't it?

Looking at it in a vacuum, yes. Considering that it would have meant the idiots who run this team saddling us with another two years of Sanchez/Tebow competition and nonsense, absolutely not. I don't want Tebow getting endlessly praised for a couple of wins over crap teams (just like I don't want Sanchez getting so either), and then this team getting saddled with a few more years of guaranteed mediocrity (as best). I called all of this back in March and it was why I wanted nothing to do with Tebow all along, considering you were the one who argued with me most on that matter and went on about how Tebow was brought in with no intention of him ever being a starting QB for this team, I find it funny how much your tune has changed.

I know we won't likely agree on this, you have zero unbiased point of view on Tebow... and it doesn't really matter. The sad thing is both sides of our argument unfortunately point back to the coaching and general manager sucking at their jobs.

We won't agree simply because my position has never changed, where you have completely flipped to the opposite end of the spectrum on yours. My original point was regarding the potential disaster that could ensue from having this guy as a backup and possibly worse yet, letting him become this team's starter at some point. Your argument then was that shoulder never, and would never, happen so it was not a point of concern and that it would simply be a matter of the benefits he could bring as a gimmick player and all that crap. Now your point is how awful the Jets are for doing what you said they would/should do instead of doing what I feared they would do. Sanchez being so terribly awful was why I said from the very beginning the Jets needed to have themselves a real QB to backup and/or compete, instead of going with this whole mess.

As far as your last comment, I unfortunately couldn't agree more.

I'd rather go 0-4 with McElroy than 3-1 with Sanchez. Truth.

Pretty much. Either one of Sanchez or Tebow playing QB while the team (not even them as individuals) has any sort of success will undoubtedly lead to nothing more than more years of this sh*t show. Forget about a couple of wins that won't get this team anywhere this year, the long term impact could not possibly be worse.

Exactly.

Listen, in the games where Sanchez sometimes plays well.... he throws the ball 20 times. Tebow could have done that for us, and been running the ball out of more formations than the stupid wildcat, to make our running game more of an asset.

Tebow is the exact type of win ugly, ground and pound QB that Rex needed and he was right under his nose and he did nothing with him.

Everyone talks about this guy's amazing run to the playoffs, but once the league got a little film on him, his effectiveness went down the toilet.

He finished the year with three straight losses, against such defensive powerhouses as NE, Buffalo (who both blew him out), and KC. In those three games, he was 30 for 73 (41%) for 439 yards (6 ypa), with 4 ints and one TD. He was sacked 10 times in those games, losing 96 yards, giving him a net ypp of 4.6.

Yes, he had a spectacular 10/21 performance against the Steelers in the playoffs, throwing for over 300 yards. And I'm sorry, but that is a fluke.

I don't even doubt that the Jets might be able to have some success with him at QB, but nothing lasting, and nothing that might lead to a championship. He's just not good. I wish he wasn't here. I hope I get my wish soon.

There are plenty of Rex jock sniffers still. and if they win 8, they'll be back out touting how awesome he is cause he didnt have a losing season with this team.

You may be right, I suppose they're just a little quieter now. While I haven't been a huge fan of Rex's these past couple of years, I was still at the point for a while that I would have been interested in seeing him get one year with a new GM and front office staff (assuming the GM wanted that, and wasn't forced into it), just to see how he did. With each passing week that desire became less and less. After this week, that was the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone talks about this guy's amazing run to the playoffs, but once the league got a little film on him, his effectiveness went down the toilet.

He finished the year with three straight losses, against such defensive powerhouses as NE, Buffalo (who both blew him out), and KC. In those three games, he was 30 for 73 (41%) for 439 yards (6 ypa), with 4 ints and one TD. He was sacked 10 times in those games, losing 96 yards, giving him a net ypp of 4.6.

Yes, he had a spectacular 10/21 performance against the Steelers in the playoffs, throwing for over 300 yards. And I'm sorry, but that is a fluke.

I don't even doubt that the Jets might be able to have some success with him at QB, but nothing lasting, and nothing that might lead to a championship. He's just not good. I wish he wasn't here. I hope I get my wish soon.

I'm not talking about his playoff run. I'm talking about the fact that if choosing between 2 bad QB (Tebow or Sanchez) you take the guy that can at least will your team to a win, because we've seen time and again Sanchez melts down, and doesn't do much more than pout.

Where there's a will, there's a way. As cliché as it sounds, it is proven time and again by people that get counted out.

You may be right, I suppose they're just a little quieter now. While I haven't been a huge fan of Rex's these past couple of years, I was still at the point for a while that I would have been interested in seeing him get one year with a new GM and front office staff (assuming the GM wanted that, and wasn't forced into it), just to see how he did. With each passing week that desire became less and less. After this week, that was the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

If he had a competent GM he would be called one of the best coaches in the game. Wouldnt be true, but he would be called that.

I'm not talking about his playoff run. I'm talking about the fact that if choosing between 2 bad QB (Tebow or Sanchez) you take the guy that can at least will your team to a win, because we've seen time and again Sanchez melts down, and doesn't do much more than pout.

Where there's a will, there's a way. As cliché as it sounds, it is proven time and again by people that get counted out.

I threw some numbers at you so we could talk about reality. You'd rather stick with mythology. That's fine, but the reality is that once the league got a handle on what Tebow is and isn't capable of doing, they shut him down.

And benching Sanchez much earlier than last week is also unrealistic. The team gave him a fat contract extension, so they were gonna give him every chance to earn it. He's got a new OC, and little at receiver, so struggling was inevitable, and reasonably excusable. The fact that his backup is one of the few QBs in the league statistically worse than him just makes it easier to extend the experiment. By the time they might've legitimately taken a chance with Tebow, he winds up with broken ribs. Bad luck. Or maybe good luck, I don't know.

What, Holmes leaving the huddle and the entire team turning on Sanchez because of it isn't the same as Holmes starting sh*t with Sanchez in the huddle and the rest of the offense actually having Sanchez's back and subsequently tossing Holmes' ass out of the huddle isn't the same thing? Of course, I wouldn't him to expect to know what happened as I have no doubt the only Jets game he ever watched prior to this season was last year's vs Denver. The guy is clearly not a Jets fan, he's a Tebow fan.

I was playing flag football when Joe Namath was the QB on the JETS, but you're right I am a Tebow fan. Sorry for ruining your JETS party. I remember my dad making me the designated remote control on Sundays, before cable. You are far more superior for being a long time JETS fan, that is for sure.

I have only watched from afar on TV..and certainly not as MUCH as you.

You probably have some special sway with the mods, with your reference, maybe I can get my named changed to remove the JET part.. say to just South.

You're right I don't know what happened, doesn't that seem odd the truth is obvious about the team absolutely NOT wanting Sanchez to be taking snaps ?

"What is any of this supposed to mean? What's been proven this season is that the supporting cast who you people try to blame endlessly for Tebow being an awful QB in Denver is good enough to be one of the league's best offenses."

I haven't held anyone accountable that wasn't accountable, for any of the kids issues or failures..MY point was Orton was left in place, because he won out in the offseason, and because he "gave the Broncos the best chance to win" and that wasn't true.. when they started the year off 1-4 a repeat of the year before, they finally changed the QB. It happened to be Tebow..oh no.

MY point was, insert Tebow, better team.

insert Manning, way fricking better team (with BRandon Stokely and Jacob Tamme)

I was playing flag football when Joe Namath was the QB on the JETS, but you're right I am a Tebow fan. Sorry for ruining your JETS party. I remember my dad making me the designated remote control on Sundays, before cable. You are far more superior for being a long time JETS fan, that is for sure.

I have only watched from afar on TV..and certainly not as MUCH as you.

You probably have some special sway with the mods, with your reference, maybe I can get my named changed to remove the JET part.. say to just South.

You're right I don't know what happened, doesn't that seem odd the truth is obvious about the team absolutely NOT wanting Sanchez to be taking snaps ?

You've made it blatantly obvious your primary concern with this team, first and foremost, is Tebow. That's obviously your right to feel that way, but in turn you can't expect anyone to take your positions regarding your alleged fandom of this team to have much merit.

On the other hand, if you've been following this team as closely as you'd like us all to believe, then you're basically admitting that you completely intentionally fabricated a story that has absolutely no factual basis to it, in order to try to make up more reasons to justify your undying support for a player who has done nothing, in his NFL career, to back up many of the claims that you make in his favor. That doesn't do a whole lot to help your cause.

I haven't held anyone accountable that wasn't accountable, for any of the kids issues or failures..MY point was Orton was left in place, because he won out in the offseason, and because he "gave the Broncos the best chance to win" and that wasn't true.. when they started the year off 1-4 a repeat of the year before, they finally changed the QB. It happened to be Tebow..oh no.

MY point was, insert Tebow, better team.

insert Manning, way fricking better team (with BRandon Stokely and Jacob Tamme)

You've done everything you can to excuse Tebow's repeatedly awful performances while blaming everyone from the coaches to every other player on the Bronco's offense, all of whom have had no issues whatsoever in putting together a top flight offense this season. The fact that you're trying to include Stokely and Tamme as reasons for the Bronco's improved offense shows how little merit your position has. You're trying to use two career backups, one of who was essentially out of the league last year (2 games played with 1 catch for 7 yards), to act as if that factors into Manning's play and thus the Bronco's offensive success. That you can do that and then actually think anyone should take you seriously speaks volumes.

You're so busy with your slander and idiocy as usual to see the point.. You got a two year unsupported guy turns the team around.

You got a MVP SB winner who made that offense great.. with the addition of Jacob Tamme and Stokely whom Manning has

had considerable playing time with.. He SHOULD have them perched at the top of their division..or they would look REAL bad.

It is obvious to anyone, except someone who has an agenda..that what was there when Tim took over was in need of a QB.

the rest was tldr, I didn't fabricate anything.. you fabricated it for me. thx.

I'd rather go 0-4 with McElroy than 3-1 with Sanchez. Truth.

winning is always better than losing. Always. All the time. No exceptions.

I see alot of comments about how the Jets losing would be better for their future.

it's complete and utter bulls--t.

Jacksonville lost 10 games this year already. How's their future looking?

I see alot of comments about how the Jets losing would be better for their future.

Looking like they'll be sharing a tee time with the jets come new year's eve.

"WIlling out wins" seems to go against the general board philosophy that it's better to lose with a chance to be great than to win without one. Bad as Sanchez is, there is probably a better chance that he can QB a top tier team than the other two. Of course the coach will be crucified for that decision, just as he would be crucified for either of the other two.

Think the Colts are upset they tanked last year?

You're so busy with your slander and idiocy as usual to see the point..

Slander? Seriously? Wow, you obviously have some serious issues. Seek help.

You got a two year unsupported guy turns the team around.

Turns the team around? They went 8-8. Was the team overall more successful with Tebow under center than Orton? Sure. That still doesn't make him a good QB, just as the Jets success early in Sanchez's career doesn't make him one either. Keep in mind, the Bronco's offense was also setting league marks for incompetence with him under center as well.

You got a MVP SB winner who made that offense great.. with the addition of Jacob Tamme and Stokely whom Manning has

had considerable playing time with.. He SHOULD have them perched at the top of their division..or they would look REAL bad.

It is obvious to anyone, except someone who has an agenda..that what was there when Tim took over was in need of a QB.

What exactly do you think you just proved here? That the primary reason, beyond all else, for the Bronco's struggles last year was their QB play? Congratulations, I don't think anyone here is arguing that with you. It would seem that you are admitting that the coaching and other offensive talent wasn't the problem last year.

You've done one hell of a job proving yourself wrong, way to go! In case you haven't noticed, the only one here arguing against the idea that the main thing the Bronco's needed last season was a QB is you. That's why the Bronco's went out and got one this offseason and are much better off for it.

the rest was tldr, I didn't fabricate anything.. you fabricated it for me. thx.

You most certainly did, right here:

No Mark is killed behind center with this team, because they were done with him when Holmes left the huddle last year.

So I guess we can add blatant lying to your bag of tricks.

Think the Colts are upset they tanked last year?

first off I don't believe the Colts tanked (they beat the Texans late in the year).

but either way a player like luck comes around once every 15 years. there's not even any definite 1st rd qbs this year, let alone a Luck.

first off I don't believe the Colts tanked (they beat the Texans late in the year).

but either way a player like luck comes around once every 15 years. there's not even any definite 1st rd qbs this year, let alone a Luck.

You said the following:

Clearly this is an example where losing, in fact, was good for the longterm status of the franchise. Do you disagree?

Overall, Tebow averaged just over 13 pass attempts in the first three quarters of football games. This is a level of distrust typically reserved for raw rookies, third-stringers, or Tarvaris Jackson. It’s a serious sign of the argument I’m making: that Tebow’s utter lack of passing offense was a reflection of a badly restricted passing game in Denver, because of the organization’s opinion that Tebow really was no good.

What explains Tebow’s sudden heroic performances late in games? The answer is very simple: trailing late in a game, the Broncos had no choice but to open up the offense! Teams that trail by two scores with five minutes left have nothing to lose, and neither did John Fox. With his team behind late, the coaches relented, and gave Tebow an honest-to-goodness NFL offense to work with. And the results were seemingly magical: Tebow completed more passes for more yards, got more first downs, led longer drives, and put points on the board. In other words, Tebow was a good NFL quarterback.

If Tebow’s average statistics in the fourth quarter are extrapolated over a full game, his average passing line would look like this: 21/39 for 301 yards. Of course, Tebow wouldn’t have so many pass attempts throughout games, because he wouldn’t have to play catch-up all the time. So let’s say an unrestricted Tebow would average 28 pass attempts per game (an admittedly arbitrary number). Tebow’s resulting passing line would be 15/28 for 216 yards. This of course doesn’t include Tebow’s inevitable rushing contributions.

This is a good point and true. They never put Tebow in position to succeed (besides trading his best receiver immediately after naming him a starter). Run, Run, throw on 3rd and long. Not easy for any QB, especially a first year starter who isnt exactly your standard QB.

Slander? Seriously? Wow, you obviously have some serious issues. Seek help.

Turns the team around? They went 8-8. Was the team overall more successful with Tebow under center than Orton? Sure. That still doesn't make him a good QB, just as the Jets success early in Sanchez's career doesn't make him one either. Keep in mind, the Bronco's offense was also setting league marks for incompetence with him under center as well.

What exactly do you think you just proved here? That the primary reason, beyond all else, for the Bronco's struggles last year was their QB play? Congratulations, I don't think anyone here is arguing that with you. It would seem that you are admitting that the coaching and other offensive talent wasn't the problem last year.

You've done one hell of a job proving yourself wrong, way to go! In case you haven't noticed, the only one here arguing against the idea that the main thing the Bronco's needed last season was a QB is you. That's why the Bronco's went out and got one this offseason and are much better off for it.

You most certainly did, right here:

So I guess we can add blatant lying to your bag of tricks.

Because I see the end of Mark's ability as the leader probably occurred around the time you see a key player leave the huddle (kicked out whatever) that means I am a liar.. ok. I probably have it wrong anyway..He was NEVER the leader..if he was ever the leader, he sure didn't hang onto it, as a real leader would....

You really get off on calling people names on the internet , don't you..

So, I guess the only way to contend with you is how most people probably do.. GFY.

Except when a late season win is the difference between Vernon Gholston and someone who can play football.

assume another loss gets them Darren McFadden. Everyone wanted that guy. And so friggin what. he's always hurt. not every draft is strong. 2008 was a really weak year, in retrospect.

Clearly this is an example where losing, in fact, was good for the longterm status of the franchise. Do you disagree?

ok sure. and maybe my use of the word always was aggressive. but the exception does NOT disprove the rule. We don't have to look back, we can look at college football right now, not only is there no luck this year, there's no rg3. it's an awful QB year.

Archived