Report: Norv Turner Will Be Fired!

jetfan718

Norv Turner, A.J. Smith reportedly will be fired

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Published: Dec. 6, 2012 at 05:26 p.m.

Updated: Dec. 6, 2012 at 06:16 p.m.

The housecleaning is coming. And the San Diego Chargers won't go halfway.

Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego reported Thursday that general manager A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner will be fired at the end of the season. Acee's sources said that Chargers president Dean Spanos "essentially decided at least a month ago" that Turner would be let go. Spanos also decided recently that Smith will be let go.

Similar rumblings occurred late last season, but Spanos changed his mind and kept Turner around.

"Those with knowledge of plans that are already in motion said it seems certain there will be no last-minute change of heart this time," Acee wrote.

Smith's record as a talent evaluator has taken hits in recent years, especially his free-agency mistakes, which included the signings of Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal. Smith also has failed to keep talented players like Vincent Jackson and Darren Sproles, who signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints, respectively.

Smith recently has drafted some good defensive players, like defensive tackle Corey Liuget and linebackers Donald Butler and Melvin Ingram, but the offense has decayed. Still, the succession plan after Smith doesn't inspire confidence.

Acee reports that director of player personnel Jimmy Raye is in line to take over for Smith. The owner's son, John Spanos, is expected to eventually take over the Chargers' football operations.

If nothing else, this report will be popular among Chargers fans. Even if it's a year too late.

What was Schotty Sr. 13-3 when dey fired him for dat clown yo?

thought he was 14-2 ? Then Norv took over and barely made the playoffs at 8-8 from what I remember. Completely running LT into the ground was part of the plan then come playoff time he was spent and they had Micheal Turner on the roster . Brilliant coaching

who the **** wants those losers coming here ? The only real success Norv Turner ever had was when he was with the Cowboys and had HOF players at virtually every position on offense. Since then hes a disaster.

I'll gladly take Norv as a coordinator. He's the Wade Phillips of offensive coordinators. He'll build us something better than being in the bottom 10 of the league, that is for sure.

They don't do too bad finding QBs, RBs and WRs out there either. Just need a different guy as head coach. Bring it all together.

I'll gladly take Norv as a coordinator. He's the Wade Phillips of offensive coordinators. He'll build us something better than being in the bottom 10 of the league, that is for sure.

They don't do too bad finding QBs, RBs and WRs out there either. Just need a different guy as head coach. Bring it all together.

you may be right I28 but I think Norv is just spent tbh. I dont think he really ever did anything special to warrant signing him.

I wouldn't mind Norv leading our offense at all! Think he'd be an upgrade over Sparano. And with the draft coming up, if we draft a WR or two, beef up the O-Line and running game, then there's no reason to think our offense can't be an explosive one.

Didn't Rex sh*t on Norv during one of his more blustery moments? Doubt Norv would want to work for him.

Rex said something along the lines of, if he had as much talent as Norv did, he would have won at least one super bowl.

Rex is a fkng moron.

Norv's claim to fame involved Troy Aikman handing the ball to Emmitt Smith. Geniuses are not required for a gig like that.

QFT. It's the foundation of Turner's very overrated "legend".

Plainly, Turner sucks so bad, he makes Marty Schottenheimer look good. Why fans would want him anywhere near their team is beyond me.

3 playoff appearances in 6 years including a AFCCG, his first losing season this year, and yet Jets fans are willing to admit that Norv sucks and Rex doesn't. Odd.

Oh, come on. Think of all the winnable games Norv has blown with sh*tty coaching decisions or misplaced trust in terrible players. When has Rex ever done that?

Archived