114-199

Scott Dierking

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets defense is #8 in the league in yards allowed, #3 against the pass without a legitimate pass rusher or Revis.

The offense has been horrible. Three & outs, turnovers, etc., and the special teams haven't helped either. The defense has been put in terrible situations all year. Pair them with a competent offense, and they're top 5, easy.

Yeah, while there are still parts of the defense (namely the LBs) that need some work, they're far from the problem. Tricky to hold your opponent under 23 points when your offense spots them 14.

They have be padding those stats against the worst offenses in the sport. The D is better than average but the offense is miserable.

The Jets are the only team in the NFL who ever pads their stats against weak opponents. The rest of the league plays playoff teams every Sunday.

Nah, you're good peeps. That other dude with the same agenda is an Ahole.

My ideal scenario is a new GM who retains Rex. I think he's a very good HC who can be great.

If he is going to be a great coach he's going to need to get a clue on offensive football and do a 180 on the pathetic framework and theory behind the Jets entire offense. I haven't seen anything to make me think he's smart enough to do that.

The Jets are the only team in the NFL who ever pads their stats against weak opponents. The rest of the league plays playoff teams every Sunday.

Everyone knows the Jets D is padding their stats by having one game each against the likes of the Rams and Cardinals. Nobody else gets a schedule like that. On a totally unrelated note, how about that 9ers D, right?!?

If he is going to be a great coach he's going to need to get a clue on offensive football and do a 180 on the pathetic framework and theory behind the Jets entire offense. I haven't seen anything to make me think he's smart enough to do that.

My patience has pretty much run out with Rex, but it's tough to argue that Rex has ever been given the necessary components (primarily, a QB who's worth a damn) to actually be able to run the type of offense that would be ideal in today's NFL.

Meh, he just needs an OC and QB who do. The Sparano hire is a head scratcher. I think he thought he was getting more with less and someone who he could outsource the unit to and not worry that it would get run over like Schotty did.

I'm sure we've gone down this path before but its very common for a HC to only posses knowledge to one side of the ball.

Meh, he just needs an OC and QB who do. The Sparano hire is a head scratcher. I think he thought he was getting more with less and someone who he could outsource the unit to and not worry that it would get run over like Schotty did.

I'm sure we've gone down this path before but its very common for a HC to only posses knowledge to one side of the ball.

thats just spooky. I was just about to type that he is outsourcing his offense and he cannot buy a decent one...

On another note, you would think that a quasi NFL caliber head coach that is focusing only on offense could put a middle of the road offense out there but that seems to be too much to ask of Luigi. Teh fish is rotten.

do not get the false impression that winning is good.

They are not playoff caliber, and when they playoff caliber teams, they get their head handed to them.

If you are happy being punching bags for teh better teams in this league, and then squeaking by the dregs, I will allow you to remain happy with that.

I would like my team to aspire to more.

thats just spooky. I was just about to type that he is outsourcing his offense and he cannot buy a decent one...

On another note, you would think that a quasi NFL caliber head coach that is focusing only on offense could put a middle of the road offense out there but that seems to be too much to ask of Luigi. Teh fish is rotten.

So true. I just wonder how the interview went with Sparano and why Rex though, yeah, this guy can turn things around and make Sanchez good. lol

At least Rex is a defensive guy who backs it up. So many offensive minded HC's who's offense sucks or mediocre and end up relying on D out there.

My patience has pretty much run out with Rex, but it's tough to argue that Rex has ever been given the necessary components (primarily, a QB who's worth a damn) to actually be able to run the type of offense that would be ideal in today's NFL.

He has the QB he wanted to trade up for and who he insists on playing no matter how miserable he is.

So next year when Rex is telling everyone Mark gives us the bet chance to win...then what.

I'm hoping they bring in a vet to give him real competition and we never hear those words again.

I'm sure they are going to ask him to restructure giving them the option to bench him if they find a better option.

That is the composite score in the games that the Jets have played this year vs. teams that are currently slotted in playoff positions.

In those games, the Jets are 1-6.

For those that think the Jets have this elite defense (Rex), in only one of these games (Colts), did the Jets hold an opponent under 23 points.

As the Jets continue to beat up on the weaklings of the league, do not get false impression that this leadership has them close. They do not, and changes still need to be made in leadership positions

And I agree with you 100%............like I said in my last post in another thread, 9-7 and being relevant masks some of the ills that plague us, but those ills are still there!

I'm hoping they bring in a vet to give him real competition and we never hear those words again.

I'm sure they are going to ask him to restructure giving them the option to bench him if they find a better option.

Rex hasn't budged at all this year with it. It's a bizarre situation an I don't see any reason why it would be any different next year with Marks contract.

The defense appears to be very fixable. The problem is, there is no real solution for the offense.

Correct.

The reality is that while the Jets defense isn't great, they are and have been very good. FO has us ranked eighth with the 2nd lowest variance, meaning they are very consistent as well. The rushing defense has definitely taken a step back and that will need to be focused on in the offseason.

That said, this defense's biggest problem is the offense. If the offense played better and scored more, this defense could be extremely good.

After yesterday I am even more excited about our young guys on the D-line. Coples is downright nasty and Wilkerson is playing like a five-year vet already.

Folks, here is the problem, whether you think the Jets suck today or whether you think the Jets are close and only a QB away, this club is going to have to make major personnel decisions due to cap problems and players contracts will be restructured.

Are you comfortable in the the Tannenbaum/Rex team making these decisions? Their track record is not very strong. There is going to be a period of rebuilding here, and I would much rather have it being done by a new regime with an eye toward the long term, rather than a duo who will be looking to save their asses short term.

Folks, here is the problem, whether you think the Jets suck today or whether you think the Jets are close and only a QB away, this club is going to have to make major personnel decisions due to cap problems and players contracts will be restructured.

Are you comfortable in the the Tannenbaum/Rex team making these decisions? Their track record is not very strong. There is going to be a period of rebuilding here, and I would much rather have it being done by a new regime with an eye toward the long term, rather than a duo who will be looking to save their asses short term.

This echo's my thread about giving Rex an extension if he stays because while my preference is to clean house, if that isn't an option, you can't have Rex feeling he's tied to Sanchez and scared to bring in a legit no 2 QB or to go to that QB when Sanchez is his garbage self next season or that he has to win next season which is a fools errand anyway.

Sounds good. Unfortunately, I dont make those decisions.

In the mean time, I hope this regime that will absolutely 100% be here next year can improve the roster and become a better team.

They've won before, dont see why with some added help at key positions that they cant again. That said, I wouldnt go as far as saying I'm confident they can but I dont think its as tough as a job as most.

QB is key and makes everything on the team look better.

Ideal scenario, AFAIC, is firing Tannenbaum and replacing him with a true GM. A guy who's the head coach's boss, and takes control of all personnel decisions. That same guy would decide Rex's fate.

Tannenbaum has managed the roster ignoring the long term for as long as he's been at the helm. It was excusable earlier on, when they did appear close to a championship, but now those methods have not only decimated the depth, but the starters -particularly on offense- have also gone to hell. He's the guy who needs to go. Someone with a long view needs to be brought in.

Sounds good. Unfortunately, I dont make those decisions.

In the mean time, I hope this regime that will absolutely 100% be here next year can improve the roster and become a better team.

They've won before, dont see why with some added help at key positions that they cant again. That said, I wouldnt go as far as saying I'm confident they can but I dont think its as tough as a job as most.

I think the argument for keeping Rex is foolish and short sighted due to the fact that his philosophy isn't a fit for the modern NFL but I can't even make a coherent devils advocate argument for Tannenbaum.

I think the argument for keeping Rex is foolish and short sighted due to the fact that his philosophy isn't a fit for the modern NFL but I can't even make a coherent devils advocate argument for Tannenbaum.

Meh, it got the Jets a game away from the SB twice. I know thats not a big deal to many people around here, but thats what its all about. Putting your team in position to win your conference.

I dont think we've seen Rex's true philosophy evolve because of the huge whiff on drafting Sanchez. I'm sure Rex would like to be more aggressive in the air, he just cant. Whether you want blame Rex for the drafting of Sanchez or not is up to you. But its where they are and he's doing an admirable job with what he's got IMO.

Cant argue with Tanny. While I think he's done a better job at finding talent than most (and still not that great), what he's done with the team from a contractual stand point is enough to cost him his job.

Archived