114-199

Scott Dierking

Meh, it got the Jets a game away from the SB twice. I know thats not a big deal to many people around here, but thats what its all about. Putting your team in position to win your conference.

I dont think we've seen Rex's true philosophy evolve because of the huge whiff on drafting Sanchez. I'm sure Rex would like to be more aggressive in the air, he just cant. Whether you want blame Rex for the drafting of Sanchez or not is up to you. But its where they are and he's doing an admirable job with what he's got IMO.

Cant argue with Tanny. While I think he's done a better job at finding talent than most (and still not that great), what he's done with the team from a contractual stand point is enough to cost him his job.

Then why does he keep playing sanchez without even dressing a backup? Why didn't he push for Chad Henne type backup that could go in and throw the ball?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then why does he keep playing sanchez without even dressing a backup? Why didn't he push for Chad Henne type backup that could go in and throw the ball?

Dont know, dont care. Who on the team is going to allow him to be more aggressive in the air?

And they signed Stanton until Tebow was forced onto them.

He has the QB he wanted to trade up for and who he insists on playing no matter how miserable he is.

Well like I said, my patience is running thin with Rex and he's certainly not blameless in all of this, but there's not a coach in all of football who could have remotely consistent offensive success (at least in the passing game) with that sh*t stain under center (or his primary backup for that matter).

Ideal scenario, AFAIC, is firing Tannenbaum and replacing him with a true GM. A guy who's the head coach's boss, and takes control of all personnel decisions. That same guy would decide Rex's fate.

Tannenbaum has managed the roster ignoring the long term for as long as he's been at the helm. It was excusable earlier on, when they did appear close to a championship, but now those methods have not only decimated the depth, but the starters -particularly on offense- have also gone to hell. He's the guy who needs to go. Someone with a long view needs to be brought in.

Agree with all of this across the board. I think at this point it should be beyond obvious to everyone that Tanny needs to go and if/when that does happen, his replacement needs to be given total control. Let him evaluate the coaching staff and decide if he wants to give these guys a one year audition (something that's become increasingly more common in the NFL it seems), but if not, you need to allow him the freedom to send any and all of them packing. From there, he can then start doing to the roster whatever he deems appropriate, because there's obviously plenty of work to be done there.

Stat of the WeekThe New York Jets have a two-game winning streak, and there's a chance it's the ugliest two-game winning streak in their history. Mark Sanchez's last 40 possessions (over the last three games, dating to Thanksgiving night against the Patriots) have produced, among other results: One touchdown pass. Three touchdown runs. Ten turnovers. Fifteen punts

He's better than Sanchez.

Actually, he's really not. Not for nothin' but Henne had two weapons on the field yesterday in Blackmon and Lewis that were both significantly better than anyone playing the same positions for the Jets and Henne produced fewer points than Sanchez.

Sanchez sucks, but Henne sucks more.

Actually, he's really not. Not for nothin' but Henne had two weapons on the field yesterday in Blackmon and Lewis that were both significantly better than anyone playing the same positions for the Jets and Henne produced fewer points than Sanchez.

Sanchez sucks, but Henne sucks more.

What about their OL who Wilkerson abused all game vs the Jets OL game which pretty much won the game?

Jets defense is #8 in the league in yards allowed, #3 against the pass without a legitimate pass rusher or Revis.

The offense has been horrible. Three & outs, turnovers, etc., and the special teams haven't helped either. The defense has been put in terrible situations all year. Pair them with a competent offense, and they're top 5, easy.

Before the Jets went on this little roll of facing offenses almost as bad as our own I think we were ranked 19th on Defense. The offenses they have stopped, everyone has stopped. At one point we were giving up chunks of yards and it was early in games so Regardless of what the offense does most good defenses don't begin to break down until the 4th quarter. Even in the game vs the Bills this team gave up huge yardage and 28 points. They are mediocre at best and please dont put them anywhere near top 5 like you suggest. if we were not playing such horrible offenses lately this team would be in the low to mid 20's in defensive ranking.

Before the Jets went on this little roll of facing offenses almost as bad as our own I think we were ranked 19th on Defense. The offenses they have stopped, everyone has stopped. At one point we were giving up chunks of yards and it was early in games so Regardless of what the offense does most good defenses don't begin to break down until the 4th quarter. Even in the game vs the Bills this team gave up huge yardage and 28 points. They are mediocre at best and please dont put them anywhere near top 5 like you suggest. if we were not playing such horrible offenses lately this team would be in the low to mid 20's in defensive ranking.

FWIW - every single team in the league benefits from it. The Jets arent the only team in the league to face really bad offensive teams. Therefore, for example, a team like the 49'ers who plays in the same division as the Cards and Rams benefit for an overall defense in the standings by playing those teams twice. Oh yeah, throw in the fact they face horrible offenses in the AFCE and NFCN - and BOOM! You have one of the best D's in the league.

FWIW - every single team in the league benefits from it. The Jets arent the only team in the league to face really bad offensive teams. Therefore, for example, a team like the 49'ers who plays in the same division as the Cards and Rams benefit for an overall defense in the standings by playing those teams twice. Oh yeah, throw in the fact they face horrible offenses in the AFCE and NFCN - and BOOM! You have one of the best D's in the league.

Don't be ridiculous, every other defense in the league has to face the likes of the Patriots, Saints, Packers, and Broncos on a weekly basis. The only time the Cardinals, Jags and Rams play football is when they're playing against the Jets.

Agree with all of this across the board. I think at this point it should be beyond obvious to everyone that Tanny needs to go and if/when that does happen, his replacement needs to be given total control. Let him evaluate the coaching staff and decide if he wants to give these guys a one year audition (something that's become increasingly more common in the NFL it seems), but if not, you need to allow him the freedom to send any and all of them packing. From there, he can then start doing to the roster whatever he deems appropriate, because there's obviously plenty of work to be done there.

It's not obvious to me. I still don't hate Tannenbaum. Not happy with the current state of affairs, but I won't blow a gasket if everybody is back.

The Giants schedule actually isnt that far off.

I won't argue that they don't have a tough schedule, yet even still it includes games vs Cleveland, Carolina, and Philly (x2). That's not to mention that they had both of their games vs Dallas prior to them remembering how to play football over the past 5 weeks.

The point being, even the NFL's toughest schedules include a few opponents to pad your stats against. That's, of course, assuming your team is capable of doing so.

The Giants schedule actually isnt that far off.

I won't argue that they don't have a tough schedule, yet even still it includes games vs Cleveland, Carolina, and Philly (x2). That's not to mention that they had both of their games vs Dallas prior to them remembering how to play football over the past 5 weeks.

The point being, even the NFL's toughest schedules include a few opponents to pad your stats against. That's, of course, assuming your team is capable of doing so.

For sh*ts and giggles....I just looked at the top 5 defensive teams in the NFL, to see who they get to "pad there stats" against and crossed reference that with their schedule. San Fran and Seattle - Rams/Cards twice, plus the AFCE and NFCN. Lots of sh*tty offenses in those divisions. Houston - Jags and Titans twice and guess what? The AFCE. Pitts - Ravens, Browns twice and the AFCW.

For sh*ts and giggles....I just looked at the top 5 defensive teams in the NFL, to see who they get to "pad there stats" against and crossed reference that with their schedule. San Fran and Seattle - Rams/Cards twice, plus the AFCE and NFCN. Lots of sh*tty offenses in those divisions. Houston - Jags and Titans twice and guess what? The AFCE. Pitts - Ravens, Browns twice and the AFCW.

The difference is those teams actually beat good teams

As well, the Jets have been on the beating side of a number of blowouts, where teams we're able to go in a shell in the 2nd halves of game and took their foot off the pedal.

There is a whole number of ways stats can be skewed

Sure. They are all significantly better than the Jets and 4 of them have proven so this season. lol But the whole the Jets "pad stats" to have a good defense argument just went out the window.

Im able to watch the Jets every week and while the defense is pretty good, I wouldnt trust them in a big spot against a good team like I would SF. The speed difference is enormous.

Im able to watch the Jets every week and while the defense is pretty good, I wouldnt trust them in a big spot against a good team like I would SF. The speed difference is enormous.

Fair enough. I never said they have a better D than SF or Houston. Simply, if the Jets are guilty of "padding their stats" vs. bad offensive teams than look no further than the top 5 D's in the league doing the very same thing.

Fair enough. I never said they have a better D than SF or Houston. Simply, if the Jets are guilty of "padding their stats" vs. bad offensive teams than look no further than the top 5 D's in the league doing the very same thing.

Exactly. I don't think anyone's going to argue the Jets D is near as good as the 49ers, because they're not. However, it's a bit peculiar for anyone to say the Jets defense must be considered to completely suck (while the stats in their favor don't count) simply because they've played well against certain weaker opponents on their schedule, two of whom share a division with those very same 9ers.

Exactly. I don't think anyone's going to argue the Jets D is near as good as the 49ers, because they're not. However, it's a bit peculiar for anyone to say the Jets defense must be considered to completely suck (while the stats in their favor don't count) simply because they've played well against certain weaker opponents on their schedule, two of whom share a division with those very same 9ers.

Not to mention, aren't we supposed to be one of these "weaker teams"? If we suck so bad, why are we a level or 2 above teams like the Colts, Jaguars, Bills and Rams?

Clearly something is working if we're 1 game out of the playoffs despite all we've been through. And I'll give those folks a hint, it hasn't been the offense or special teams.

That's exactly where I lose it with Sanchez. Why? Cause you absolutely need both sides of the ball to support one another. It's once in a generation when you get a team who can totally dominate on one side and carry the team to glory. If the Jets made the SB and played SF (no I don't expect this) I'd know that the defense would cave in at some point and Sanchez would produce 3-10 points max. The offense overall is a horrible unit, but a QB can elevate the offense with his abilities.

Archived