No hometown discount from Landry for Jets

Scott Dierking

Per Rotoworld via Daily News. Not to worry, I hear players love to play for Rex

LaRon Landry told the New York Daily News that he will not take a hometown discount this offseason to re-sign with the Jets.

The Jets took a flier on Landry when few wanted him in 2012 free agency. He's 28 years old and won't be repaying Jets management for giving him the shot. "What do you mean (by) a discount?" Landry said. "Take less over what? From where? ... I’m going to sit down with my agent and family and make the best business decision." Landry has 89 tackles, four forced fumbles, and two interceptions this year. Pro Football Focus has also graded him positively in coverage.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that it is a business, and he needs to make the best decision for him and family, but there are better ways to say it. He's obviously a high character guy who has a way with words.

i honestly can't see anything wrong with what he said. If it were the team that drafted him for over 7 years or something, then maybe.

Players sometimes give discounts to teams that gave them a chance, if they like the system, if they like the program, if they like the coaches.

Is it a given? Of course not.

One would expect that the affinity that players have for Rex with his dynamic personality, that players would come here for less.

Yeah would you take a discount from your job? Nothing to see hear

If I was on the market, and I had competing bids from my current company and a company someplace else that I was not familiar with, I would give my current company a discount. I am established in the community, my kids are established in the schools, and I know the people I will be working with. That is of value to me.

If I was on the market, and I had competing bids from my current company and a company someplace else that I was not familiar with, I would give my current company a discount. I am established in the community, my kids are established in the schools, and I know the people I will be working with. That is of value to me.

Wow. You really have so much in common with the average NFL player.

And you have so much in common with John Lennon

The question was asked if I would take a discount for my current employer

I play guitar, my name is John, and I dig Asian chicks. I suspect that puts me way ahead in this game.

Well I AM on the market and I don't see anything happening. :help:

From what I had heard from the Jets, players want to come play for Ryan, without having even been here. The fact that someone will not stay for a little less is somewhat telling.

Draw your own conclusions.

I have. A player who's injury prone is looking for possibly his last big pay day. Only a hater would spin this into some type of indictment on Rex Ryan.

I have. A player who's injury prone is looking for possibly his last big pay day. Only a hater would spin this into some type of indictment on Rex Ryan.

As have I. Playing for Ryan is not as attractive as he has told us it is.

Teams will sign with the Jets when they offer the most-not because of Rex Ryan.

Per Rotoworld via Daily News. Not to worry, I hear players love to play for Rex

LaRon Landry told the New York Daily News that he will not take a hometown discount this offseason to re-sign with the Jets.

The Jets took a flier on Landry when few wanted him in 2012 free agency. He's 28 years old and won't be repaying Jets management for giving him the shot. "What do you mean (by) a discount?" Landry said. "Take less over what? From where? ... I’m going to sit down with my agent and family and make the best business decision." Landry has 89 tackles, four forced fumbles, and two interceptions this year. Pro Football Focus has also graded him positively in coverage.

Seems smart to me.

As have I. Playing for Ryan is not as attractive as he has told us it is.

Teams will sign with the Jets when they offer the most-not because of Rex Ryan.

He never said anything, neither did the Jets. Ex-player have spoken out about playing for him, none of them have ever said they'd take less money to play for Rex Ryan. Just that they love playing for him.

But spin your agenda any way you'd like. Facts dont really matter.

Most coaches don't entertain this type of silly banter-doesn't stop Ryan though:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/11/rex_ryan_said_players_still_wa.html

Ryan has prided himself on being a players' coach and one that would attract players to the Jets. He did not think the poll took away from his appeal as a coach that players would want to play for.

"No. I think if you look at it and poll the same players who they want to play for, I’ll probably end up where I always am: right at the top with Mike Tomlin," Ryan said. "It's either me or Mike Tomlin, one or two."

"As long as they want to come here and play and I’m overrated, that’s fine, but I want them to want to come here and play."

Players sometimes give discounts to teams that gave them a chance, if they like the system, if they like the program, if they like the coaches.

Is it a given? Of course not.

One would expect that the affinity that players have for Rex with his dynamic personality, that players would come here for less.

Clearly this has nothing to do with Rex, and everything to do with Sanchez!

Why would any defender take a discount to play on the same team as this 3-and-out/turnover machine?

I mean, seriously, you should get paid more to play on the Jets defense, as long as Sanchez is the QB the defense needs to carry the team, and they're probably on the field a lot more too.

See, I can do this too!

Clearly this has nothing to do with Rex, and everything to do with Sanchez!

Why would any defender take a discount to play on the same team as this 3-and-out/turnover machine?

I mean, seriously, you should get paid more to play on the Jets defense, as long as Sanchez is the QB the defense needs to carry the team, and they're probably on the field a lot more too.

See, I can do this too!

Actually, it is all you do.

It may be a reason, though.

And that is a reflection of decisons the head coach is making.

Actually, it is all you do.

It may be a reason, though.

And that is a reflection of decisons the head coach is making.

Yeah, Rex needs to stop calling fumbles.

I'm curious if all I do is spin, why is everything I say about the QB backed by both standard and advanced metrics? Your attacks on the coach are based on press conferences and players looking to maximize their earning potential. You're a cartoon.

Yeah, Rex needs to stop calling fumbles.

I'm curious if all I do is spin, why is everything I say about the QB backed by both standard and advanced metrics? Your attacks on the coach are based on press conferences and players looking to maximize their earning potential. You're a cartoon.

My retorts on the coach are based on results and management principals.

What metrics are you aware of for coaching?

And, lets see if you can have dialogue without name calling.

Archived