New York Jets Playoff Scenarios

JetNation

Well, the Jets are one step closer to the playoffs thanks to the Steelers loss to the Cowboys, which prevents the Steelers from going 10-6 and shutting us out. The Chargers and Bills both lost so they’re out of the hunt and will have nothing but pride to play for when they play the Jets in the next couple of weeks.

Tonight’s game between the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers has no impact, other than possibly making the Texans try against the Colts in week 17.

So the playoff scenarios for the Jets involve the Jets winning all three of their remaining games and:

1. Having the Colts lose both of their remaining games
  2. The Steelers lose to the Browns if they win against the Bengals next week
  3. The Bengals lose to the Ravens if they win or tie against the Steelers next week.

Regardless if the Jets do win out, a win by the Steelers, and Colts next week pretty much takes the air out of the ballon for week 17, and what also sucks is their is no scenario next week where the Jets can be put in a position of just win, and in no matter how the games fall, or a scenario where 8-8 can get us in the playoffs, but their is a scenario where the Dolphins can get in at 8-8 which really pisses me off. Not to mention those F'ing Colts miracle wins against the Lions, Titans, and Packers to name a few.

So the playoff scenarios for the Jets involve the Jets winning all three of their remaining games and:

1. Having the Colts lose both of their remaining games
  2. The Steelers lose to the Browns if they win against the Bengals next week
  3. The Bengals lose to the Ravens if they win or tie against the Steelers next week

Biggest hurdle!

That Dolphins scenario isn't that unlikely either, they win out, Jets lose 2 of 3, or 1, but it has to be the Bills game, Steelers beat the Bengals, but lose to the Browns the following week, (already lost to the Browns this year) and Bengals lose to the Ravens week 17, the most unlikely thing to happen in that scenario IMO is the Dolphins winning in NE week 17, but they did play them tough a few weeks back, and Pats could be locked into their seeding by that game, and could rest a few guys even thou thats not what they do.

Actually, the Colts are now irrelevant unless they lose the next 2.

The Jets make the playoffs by:

1) Winning out

2) Bengals beat the Steelers week 16

3) Ravens beat the Bengals week 17

So when the Steelers beat the Bengals, and Browns, and the Colts lose to the Chiefs next week, and we win out, let me know how irrelavant the Colts are then! And how much it will suck watching them beat up on TJ Yates, and the rest of the 2nd string Houston Texans!

Maybe we're deluding ourselves because we havent played in 8 days....but the Jets are still sh*tty.

This is true...but are the Titans, Chargers and Bills worse? Most likey, yes, they are...still doesnt mean the Jets are winning out or going to the playoffs...but I'm pretty upbeat and positive about everything.

All in all, after a season like this, its pretty cool to still be having some relevant playoff conversations no matter how bad the team is. Its great to see them still battling it out and that they didnt give up on the season when things were looking bleak.

The Steelers must beat the Bengals then lose to the Browns in the final week and go 8-8

The Bengals must lose to the Steelers and the Ravens and go 8-8 -- Do we hold the tie breaker vs the Bengals ?? if so they can win one of these 2 games and we're in I guess.

I can see the Bengals losing out but I cant see the Steelers losing to the Browns in the final week with a playoff berth on the line. Sure its possible, anything is but this along with us winning out is a huge longshot. The last two times the Jets got in the playoffs with a 9-7 record everyone that needed to lose in the last 3 weeks miraculously did I remember a few teams actully losing out that we needed to lose out. I dont see us getting that lucky based on the Steelers Browns game to end the season.

The Steelers must beat the Bengals then lose to the Browns in the final week and go 8-8

The Bengals must lose to the Steelers and the Ravens and go 8-8 -- Do we hold the tie breaker vs the Bengals ?? if so they can win one of these 2 games and we're in I guess.

I can see the Bengals losing out but I cant see the Steelers losing to the Browns in the final week with a playoff berth on the line. Sure its possible, anything is but this along with us winning out is a huge longshot. The last two times the Jets got in the playoffs with a 9-7 record everyone that needed to lose in the last 3 weeks miraculously did I remember a few teams actully losing out that we needed to lose out. I dont see us getting that lucky based on the Steelers Browns game to end the season.

Browns can beat Pitt if Big Ben goes out during game IMHO. Probably only way.

In any scenario where the Jets, Steelers, and Bengals finish 8-8 the Steelers get in the playoffs, this would mean the Bengals would have to lose both of their games, and that would mean the Steelers would have swept the Bengals, and knock them out of the tiebreaker, and they beat the Jets, and that knocks the Jets out. The funny thing is if what you said happens, and our lone loss is to the Bills, and the Dolphins win out they win the tie breaker over us for better division record, and then beat the Steelers in a tiebreaker with better confrence record, and the Dolphins get in as the 6 seed.

Archived