Possible Jets 2013 targets of FreeAgent or trade QBs

SouthernJet

who cares cut Pouha mon , Landry is gone...team is 4 yrs away, no way can sanchez be on team next yr

by the way saying a team is 4 years away is a cop out. in NFL years, 4 might as well be 100. there's no such thing as long term rebuilding in this league you either reload and recover in 1 year or you don't.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its not just cap it's actual money. meaning let's say the Jets cut Sanchez and he goes to Oakland to hold a clip board. Sanchez collects 2 salaries. 10 mil from the Jets and whatever the Raiders are paying him. There's no offset. We can talk about good money after bad, but bottom line if you are paying Mark Sanchez something like 750k per game, he's gonna have to earn it.

and talk about money the Jets sell out every game. They have shared guarutneed tv revenues. Merch is split. the NFL is a communism and teams that stink out loud still make money. What's at stake? Parking passes? Losing doesn't really hurt Woody. Paying Mark's check to play for another team, that hurts.

BUT if we lose and cant score more than 10 points with him, who cares if he earns money here or on other team? That basically says jets willing to lose cause they are paying him.

seriously... it's not great. the draft at QB is kinda weak. Glennon looking like a rd2-3 guy along with Ryan Nassib and Landry Jones (Tyler Bray too). Glennon will be at the senior bowl. there's no real reason to believe any of these guys are better than Sanchez, unless it's in the abstract "anyone is better" sort of thinking. So let's think it through the Jets draft Glennon, that doesn't mean he starts. In fact Sanchez still makes 10 mil next year, no matter what team he's on. They could sign an Alex Smith or Mike Vick but with similar limitations. All in all I don't know how they make a move at QB this year. Even with how bad Mark has been. Money talks and BS walks you can't have 10+% of your cap tied up with a guy on the bench.

(as for Rivers I think he's been hiding an injury or something. his arm is shot. dude is done).

by the way the extension wasn't nearly as bad as the draft pick. the original sin was the draft pick. I've seen posters say that the move was to let Sanchez play out his string, if that happens they have no Pouha, no landry, no free agents or cap room in any way. The decision to draft him at 5 was the killer.

They have to do something in the draft. If they had been smart and used their 2nd or 3rd this past year on Wilson, Cousins, or Foles, things would be a little more palatable right now. We can't let another draft go by without investing in the position. That being said, I am not crazy about any of the names that figure to be there after round 1. The best of the group is probably Landry Jones and his ultimate potential to me is no better than Joe Flacco.

That being said, I am not crazy about any of the names that figure to be there after round 1.

im not even crazy about the names in round 1. part of the reason Mark Sanchez got overdrafted was because that year, was a weak QB year. 2013 is gonna be another weak year. They should buy the QB when the crop is good not when the crop stinks, that's kinda what got them into this mess.

If we are talking long term, better to wait for a real stud in 2014 and if Mark is as bad as we all believe him to be, maybe the Jets are in a position to make a high pick in that year. Maybe Teddy Bridgewater. I don't see any cure alls between end of 2012 and start of 2013, in fact I'd bet mark is the QB again. As crazy as that sounds. Maybe they can do a QB competition with Alex Smith.

So RG III is not going to get hurt over the next 3 years? Put yourself in their shoes, you can get a draft pick any time for him. Why would you trade him before you have to and leave yourself short behind a QB that figures to take a lot of hits? Teams don't make deals to suit the Jets, they do it in their own best interests and the Skins have a cheap QB who looks like he can play backing up a QB that runs and takes hits.

Not sure why you would imply that i felt teams would make deals "for the jets" thats kind of a silly stance to take /

This is not my wish, nor have I stated whether its a good move or bad, but if you look at year after year in the NFL how many times have back up QB's played well in a few games then been hot topics and big inflated salaries based on a few games played ? If someone offers the Redskins a nice package they feel will improve their team, you bet your ass they will jump on it in a heart beat, just like every other team out there.

Not sure how many times this type of sh*t has to happen to prove the point.

Not sure why you would imply that i felt teams would make deals "for the jets" thats kind of a silly stance to take /

This is not my wish, nor have I stated whether its a good move or bad, but if you look at year after year in the NFL how many times have back up QB's played well in a few games then been hot topics and big inflated salaries based on a few games played ? If someone offers the Redskins a nice package they feel will improve their team, you bet your ass they will jump on it in a heart beat, just like every other team out there.

Not sure how many times this type of sh*t has to happen to prove the point.

It happens when the backup player is nearing a contract milestone where the team needs to commit to him or he can become a free agent and leave the team to start somewhere. Did you ever notice that when one of these trades happens the QB negotiates a new contract with his new team, immediately? Cousins is not near that point....as I have said, it won't happen this offseason, Cousins is going no where.

this thread isn't gonna like it but I see the Jets drafting pass rushing DE or stud RB not QB in round 1 next year. Look at the contracts, they are bare at OLB with Pace and Thomas gone. RB Shonn Greene is a free agent, who is gonna pay for him to return? RB could be Giovani Bernard/Eddie Lacy or LB Jarvis Jones/Sam Mongomery for the D. I don't see a big QB move on the horizon, other than getting rid of Tebow and signing a vet like Smith or Moore. if Greg plays awesome next 2 weeks maybe he's the guy but either way cutting Mark is spiteing your face. Too much money to pay a guy to play for another team. 2014 they have that option.

this thread isn't gonna like it but I see the Jets drafting pass rushing DE or stud RB not QB in round 1 next year. Look at the contracts, they are bare at OLB with Pace and Thomas gone. RB Shonn Greene is a free agent, who is gonna pay for him to return? RB could be Giovani Bernard/Eddie Lacy or LB Jarvis Jones/Sam Mongomery for the D. I don't see a big QB move on the horizon, other than getting rid of Tebow and signing a vet like Smith or Moore. if Greg plays awesome next 2 weeks maybe he's the guy but either way cutting Mark is spiteing your face. Too much money to pay a guy to play for another team. 2014 they have that option.

whats more distracting, have sanchez play for another team on our dime or have him sit on bench and be in locker room daily making all that coin and breeding discontent. Either way u r not getting your moneys worth, but might help morale a bit by getting rid of him.

Enuff with drafting ACC guys, havent this team learned its lesson mon. Lacy wants no part of Jets either mon

How about asking Sanchez to redo his contract at much lower numbers that would allow him to be trade able? If he really wants to play football in the NFL this could be his best shot. If he just wants to keep the money and stay in what will most certainly be a negative environment - that says something too.

How about asking Sanchez to redo his contract at much lower numbers that would allow him to be trade able? If he really wants to play football in the NFL this could be his best shot. If he just wants to keep the money and stay in what will most certainly be a negative environment - that says something too.

would u take a cut in pay or double dip?

would u take a cut in pay or double dip?

I don't think it's that easy of a question bro - if he really wants to play NFL football and has any confidence that he can, this would be a move he could make to maybe be attractive rather than the pariah he's viewed as now. It isn't like he hasn't made any money already and I'm not say he should go down to vet minimum.

I don't think it's that easy of a question bro - if he really wants to play NFL football and has any confidence that he can, this would be a move he could make to maybe be attractive rather than the pariah he's viewed as now. It isn't like he hasn't made any money already and I'm not say he should go down to vet minimum.

he knows career is over in NY, he will take the $8.5M and then sign with someone for $2M. He aint taking a paycut. If charly bitchslap can be a backup as well as ryan Lindley or charly whitehurst. someone will take a chance on him. If flynn gets traded sanchez may end up in seattle as a backup

he knows career is over in NY, he will take the $8.5M and then sign with someone for $2M. He aint taking a paycut. If charly bitchslap can be a backup as well as ryan Lindley or charly whitehurst. someone will take a chance on him. If flynn gets traded sanchez may end up in seattle as a backup

The mindset I'm coming from is Sanchez thinking he could be a starter again somewhere. I agree someone will pay him to hold a clipboard.

whats more distracting, have sanchez play for another team on our dime or have him sit on bench and be in locker room daily making all that coin and breeding discontent. Either way u r not getting your moneys worth, but might help morale a bit by getting rid of him.

How will he breed discontent? He seemed like a good soldier even when he was benched for McElroy. His main problem may be lack of confidence which isn't something that generally creates trouble in the lockerroom. I doubt the rest of the team would be clamouring for his return to start - unless they have Edwards back.

How will he breed discontent? He seemed like a good soldier even when he was benched for McElroy. His main problem may be lack of confidence which isn't something that generally creates trouble in the lockerroom. I doubt the rest of the team would be clamouring for his return to start - unless they have Edwards back.

LOL, not discontent over wanting him to start. discontent he is makin 8.5 Mill to hold clipboard. eventually it gets to guys

How can you pay Mark Sanchez 8 plus million, plug all of the holes on the team, possibly retain Tebow for whatever his salary is, and go outand sign or trade for another QB? Doesn't seem like it will work financially or trade wise. The Jets need to keep all of their draft picks so that they can bring ina real talent evaluator and draft really talented guys.

He doesn't count 8 million against the cap next year

Carson Palmer could do that because he wasn't demoted. Gholston did it somewhat and it cost him. Even if Sanchez is that stupid, it's unlikely that his agent is also.

ther comes a point in a career where the player just has to go- the Mets finally did it with Jason Bay. Not saying that is going to happen but have to be creative to explore all options. Mark can not be on this team with so much vitrol from the fans. Rework a contract to lessen the immediate impact to entice some other team to take him even though Jets take a cap hit

ther comes a point in a career where the player just has to go- the Mets finally did it with Jason Bay. Not saying that is going to happen but have to be creative to explore all options. Mark can not be on this team with so much vitrol from the fans. Rework a contract to lessen the immediate impact to entice some other team to take him even though Jets take a cap hit

Only way to do that is to give him another extension, and spread out the 2013 cap hit to future years, but make the bonus that gets spread out over how ever many years the extension is paid on a date AFTER the Jets trade him to this crazy ass backwards organization that would even consider taking Sanchez, and extending him, I only know of 1 team that does stupid sh*t like this, but unfortunatly he is already with that organization. The Jets would still be hit with a dead cap hit also in this situation, but I think it could be lowered from 12ish mill to 5ish mill in this situation, not really sure you would have to ask Jason.

He doesn't count 8 million against the cap next year

Your correct its worse its, $12,853,125, and $17,153,125 in dead cap space if cut, and in that scenario the Jets would have $4,300,000 less cap space available to them then already projected, a projection that is in the range of your ****ed, and Oh sh*t!

And the funny thing is I vote to take that route, let the new GM cut everyone who will not be part of the plans in the future, Sanchez, Holmes, Scott, Pace, Pouha, J Smith, Tebow, E Smith, and depending on the if there is a new HC, and which defensive front he plans on running, if its a 4-3, you also cut D Harris.

Take all the cap hits in 2013, let the guys who actually are good football players, and are still under contract that this was a necessary evil that the old front office left us no choice with, but we promise we will be building for the 2014 season, and see no reason to believe why we can't contend that year with you guys in place, and the talent we accumulate in the next 2 drafts, and the players we can sign to plug in to any wholes we see fit with our cap space in the 2014 season.

I would rather live through 1 year like 1996, then let Tanny puch off future cap hits, and live through years of futility that culminates with a year like 1996 like the Jets franchise did from 1989-1996.

Last year must have been tough for the Colts fans, but I would bet they are very happy that it happened that way, and not the way this will play out if Tanny is still here with 3-6 years of average football never being good enough to seriously contend for a SB, and culminating with the 1-15 season. Which by then all the talented players we actually still have that are worth keeping, and could be part of a SB contending team like Revis, Cro, the yound D-lineman, Brick, Mangold, and hopefully Kerley, and S HIll turn out to be something, will either be old, and terrible, or way gone fom the sh*tty organization.

Archived