Rex's stupidity is contagious

dbatesman

Just checking out Cimini's game wrap (I know, I know) and encountered this gem:

Not-so-elite defense: The Jets climbed to No. 8 in the defensive rankings after beating up two tomato cans, the Cards and Jaguars. Against another mediocre offense, the once-vaunted defense disappeared at critical junctures.

With a chance to create great field position for the offense, the Jets let Chris Johnson run 94 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter -- the longest run they've allowed since the 49ers' Garrison Hearst ran 96 yards in overtime in the 1998 opener. Nose tackle Sione Po'uha couldn't disengage from backup center Kyle DeVan, creating a crease.

The defense came up ridiculously small in the third quarter, blowing a four-point lead by allowing a seven-play, 64-yard touchdown drive -- right after a Jets touchdown. Good defenses don't do that. The scoring play was a 13-yard run by Locker, a read-option around left end. Look familiar? The 49ers' Colin Kaepernick ran the exact same play against the Jets for a touchdown in Week 4. That's called going to school on your opponent.

They allowed 14 points, sacked Locker 4 times, and put the offense in a position to win the game not once but twice in the final three minutes. Only in the Rexverse would the defense be within the top 50 reasons we lost this game. Go **** your mother, Cimini.

They allowed 14 points, sacked Locker 4 times, and put the offense in a position to win the game not once but twice in the final three minutes. Only in the Rexverse would the defense be within the top 50 reasons we lost this game. Go **** your mother, Cimini.

THANK YOU.

Five turnovers and they give up fourteen points. How many were they SUPPOSED to give up?

Did you see any of the post game with Dilfer and Young? First off all, I've never seen a team get ripped on national TV like they did but Young was actually trying to put that on the defense and argue that Sanchez is a good player. 14pts. 14. WTF more do you need on the road? Who cant score 14pts on the Titans? Oh, the Mark Sanchez led Jets cant.

Did you see any of the post game with Dilfer and Young? First off all, I've never seen a team get ripped on national TV like they did but Young was actually trying to put that on the defense and argue that Sanchez is a good player. 14pts. 14. WTF more do you need on the road? Who cant score 14pts on the Titans? Oh, the Mark Sanchez led Jets cant.

I watched it this morning and Steve Young said it best; Rex has lost the team by the way they play, that Sparano has been a disaster and that the way the Jets played was DISGRACEFUL-how Woody Johnson could be OK with all of this is beyond me. Listening to the radio down here this morning the Jets have become the laughingstock of the NFL-when MIAMI is laughing at the Jets and almost feeling sorry for us-well that's done gone and tore the last shred of respect-even worse though is the owner has no clue on how to handle this and will make himself believe that it will all be OK and Rex and Tanny and Pettine Sparano and Sanchez will all be back again next year...

I watched it this morning and Steve Young said it best; Rex has lost the team by the way they play, that Sparano has been a disaster and that the way the Jets played was DISGRACEFUL-how Woody Johnson could be OK with all of this is beyond me. Listening to the radio down here this morning the Jets have become the laughingstock of the NFL-when MIAMI is laughing at the Jets and almost feeling sorry for us-well that's done gone and tore the last shred of respect-even worse though is the owner has no clue on how to handle this and will make himself believe that it will all be OK and Rex and Tanny and Pettine Sparano and Sanchez will all be back again next year...

I disagree that Rex has lost the team. That defense was giving it everything they had all the way to the last whistle. They kept saving the offenses ass over and over again. Mark Sanchez is a disgrace. You cant win turning the ball over 5 times. Its a small miracle the score wasnt worse.

The way the offense is managed, is enough for everyone to be removed, but I dont agree that Rex has lost the team. Mark Sanchez has lost the team.

Gruden was classic last night:

Jets get on a roll and sanchez is moving team down field and another 1st down is made. Tebow then comes in & Gruden is "WTF?" just when you get momentum & rythum??? after 3 downs of Tebow he says " they all looked like broken plays. what a disaster.

Tirico asks Gruden at the half to talk about Johnsons long run. Gruden says well there was only 1 highlight for the half so we can take our time & do a good job with it.

He was dfumbfounded again when Tebow goes in for 1 play & said: it's (long pause) hard to be a quarterback for this organization

Their defensive ranking is somewhat fraudulent. We don't put points on the board so opponents are rarely in situations where they need to pass for quarters or halves at a time in order to win. We're 29th in rush defense. We gave up 30 points a couple of times this season with opposing QBs attempting 18 and 21 passes in a full game. Who would risk passing on us?

Yeah our offense is a horrible joke and they keep the defense on the field for a lot longer than they should be, not to mention how demoralized they look (no matter how much they claim otherwise). And yes, arguably the best player they've ever had missed almost the entire season on defense.

But would their defense be as highly ranked if the offense put points on the board every week? It's a hopeful guess at best. I would say that the defense - while not at all elite - is good enough to compete if we had a legit offense, but we don't. He'll, we almost - and technically still could - win 8 games even still. Even the most cynical fan wouldn't believe that with a real offense and this same defense - without Revis - couldn't play well enough to get us to 11 or 12 wins this year.

Their defensive ranking is somewhat fraudulent. We don't put points on the board so opponents are rarely in situations where they need to pass for quarters or halves at a time in order to win. We're 29th in rush defense. We gave up 30 points a couple of times this season with opposing QBs attempting 18 and 21 passes in a full game. Who would risk passing on us?

Yeah our offense is a horrible joke and they keep the defense on the field for a lot longer than they should be, not to mention how demoralized they look (no matter how much they claim otherwise). And yes, arguably the best player they've ever had missed almost the entire season on defense.

But would their defense be as highly ranked if the offense put points on the board every week? It's a hopeful guess at best. I would say that the defense - while not at all elite - is good enough to compete if we had a legit offense, but we don't. He'll, we almost - and technically still could - win 8 games even still. Even the most cynical fan wouldn't believe that with a real offense and this same defense - without Revis - couldn't play well enough to get us to 11 or 12 wins this year.

No doubt.

I sometimes wonder what their record would be if they straight up committed to the Wild Cat and never threw the ball the entire game.

That whole game is about the offense and to make it about anything else is foolish. Everyone knows the Jets dont have an elite defense. You watch Tennessee, which is a bad team, and you see a bunch of athletes out there. Its something the Jets cant match. The Jets are a group of slow plodding dinosaurs on defense. If it was 2009 where you expect them to pitch shutouts Id probably put some merit on it but for this defense to only allow 14 points is a win. Would it have been nice to see them step up and hold them? Yeah, but thats on Rex. The defense is as good as Rexs coaching. Rex got outcoached on that drive and when that happens the Jets dont have the talent to overcome it.

But to just bypass the offense is insane. Its one of the problems with some of the beat guys. They dont like most of the players on the defense because they act like a-holes to the reporters. That game yesterday was on two people. One on the field and one off it. It was all on Mark Sanchez and the crazy coach who refused to pull him from the game. Those two cost the team the game and the season. That should be the story not anything about the defense, who we all knew wast elite, coming up short on a drive.

Archived