Mark Sanchez: The Final Countdown

Maxman

The environment will be completely different next season and already was in 2013.  With MM as OC and in 2014 all new weapons on offense it will be a team just in need of someone to lead them.  This isn't Schotty and this isn't Sporano and Tebow.

Better start getting your new Avitar ready! "cause as of March 15th, or whenever that Roster Bonus is due, Sanchez will be gone forever. Thanks for the memories, Mark.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And quit comparing Sanchez to Alex Smith.  It's completely foolish.  Can you name any of his receivers outside of Dwayne Bowe?  Has Jamaal Charles not taken his game to a completely different level with Smith as his QB?  Smith may not be good enough to win a team a Super Bowl, but he DEFINITELY makes the guys around him better with his accuracy and ability to avoid costly turnovers.  He's the anti-Sanchez.  

You could hand Sanchez Andy Reid and Charles and he'd still find ways to turn it over 20+ times a year.  He's that bad.

Put a sock in it.  The reason Alex Smith became this phenomenal QB you're getting a boner over is because SF didn't have fans like you to drive him out of the NFL.  His first 5-6 years were VERY similar to Marks with the difference being Sanchez' playoff success.

If Alex Smith, Rich Gannon, or any number of late bloomers started their careers in NY you impatient babies would have whined long and hard enough for the team to cut ties long before they matured into good QB's.

The fact you're oblivious to the similarities btw Smith and Sanchez is obnoxious...  but not surprising.

The environment will be completely different next season and already was in 2013.  With MM as OC and in 2014 all new weapons on offense it will be a team just in need of someone to lead them.  This isn't Schotty and this isn't Sporano and Tebow.

The environment is more than just the coaches. It's the stadium the area and the fans - 99/100mof which don't want him here. He can talk a good game but when he goes in and 70,000 people in the stadium boo him then he leaves and gets sh*t every where he goes, that's going to bother him and effect his play.

You're right that this isn't Geno's team.  But is bringing back Sanchez the best move out there?  I think its absolutely the WORST decision we can make.  Just cut ties with the guy and be done with it.  Let him be a failure pile in a sadness bowl for another NFL or CFL team.

As I stated earlier I am not saying that this is going to happen, it is a long shot.  If the Jets have any chance to have a successful season next year they have to bring in serious veteran  competition for Smith.  He was horrible this year.  He may be better next year, but the Jets have to be prepared if he isn't.

Sanchez's bonus is due I think in March so they won't have the draft to evaluate their situation,  Sanchez should be at least a consideration.  Perhaps they have a plan and are thinking along the lines of perhaps a trade, and the competition for Smith will be a moot point.  Perhaps not.

I know the emotional dislike of Sanchez is overwhelming  for a lot of fans, but I really hope Idzik is not considering that at the moment, and does the best thing for the team in the long run.   I wish I was as sure as a lot of other people on the board of what that is, but I don't think the FO has completely written off Sanchez until they see what develops, and what their options are  

How many top 5 picks get drafted to the the guy and have the team do nothing to build around him?  Josh Freeman - they brought in Vincent Jackson, Matt Stafford had Megatron.  Sanchez?  The jets never had a true #1 threat - they dropped Cotchery, got rid of any pass catching option in the backfield, and the offensive line led by Wayne Hunter nearly got him killed.  Von Miller still is wiping Sanchez bits off his jersey.

In 2011 if Stephen Hill catches a little 3 yard pass or the defense stops Tim Tebow from driving 98 yards they make the playoffs for 3 straight years with declining talent on both sides of the ball.

Alex Smith was trhe #1 overall pick and had awful numbers and never finished a season.  Given the right environment and right coaching he re-invented himself.  Sanchez is young and has solid fundamentals witha great play action fake - better option that Vick, Hill, McCown.

This isn't true. Alex Smith was playing GREAT football when he got hurt and lost his gig to Kaepernick, it was more about him growing into a QB, than about "a new environment". The trade to KC didn't make Alex Smith, Alex Smith made Alex Smith over the years in SF. It just took a while for that organization to get out of his way, they did NOTHING to help him there for the better part of his career. 

There is zero comparison to be made to Sanchez, who progressively got worse over the years, other than that they are both QBs.

Put a sock in it. The reason Alex Smith became this phenomenal QB you're getting a boner over is because SF didn't have fans like you to drive him out of the NFL. His first 5-6 years were VERY similar to Marks with the difference being Sanchez' playoff success.

If Alex Smith, Rich Gannon, or any number of late bloomers started their careers in NY you impatient babies would have whined long and hard enough for the team to cut ties long before they matured into good QB's.

The fact you're oblivious to the similarities btw Smith and Sanchez is obnoxious... but not surprising.

Somebody hip check this puke into a dumpster. Sanchez had 4 years only to get worse and worse. You two born losers are obviously meant for each other.

I'm ready to move on from Sanchez too, but I'd have no problem bringing him back to compete at a DRASTICALLY reduced salary.  Maybe a year to sit and watch could have helped him?  I don't know, and neither does anyone else.  Not like he's going to be able to command a ton of money and a starting job as a FA, so he may as well stay in a place where he knows the offense.

However, if there's as much bad blood between him and Idzik as has been reported...he's gone.

Sanchez's bonus is due I think in March so they won't have the draft to evaluate their situation,  Sanchez should be at least a consideration.  Perhaps they have a plan and are thinking along the lines of perhaps a trade, and the competition for Smith will be a moot point.  Perhaps not.

I know the emotional dislike of Sanchez is overwhelming  for a lot of fans, but I really hope Idzik is not considering that at the moment, and does the best thing for the team in the long run.   I wish I was as sure as a lot of other people on the board of what that is, but I don't think the FO has completely written off Sanchez until they see what develops, and what their options are

They'll cut him before that bonus is due. Then, they'll look at the pile of free agent QBs -which would now include Sanchez- and decide which, if any, is the one they want to sign. When you look at the list of potential free agents, Mark may actually be one of the better options, especially given that he knows the system and has a familiarity with the team.

I still think it's a long shot. Not only would the majority of fans revolt, but I suspect the locker room has long given up on him, too.

Not an impossibility, though.

They'll cut him before that bonus is due. Then, they'll look at the pile of free agent QBs -which would now include Sanchez- and decide which, if any, is the one they want to sign. When you look at the list of potential free agents, Mark may actually be one of the better options, especially given that he knows the system and has a familiarity with the team.

I still think it's a long shot. Not only would the majority of fans revolt, but I suspect the locker room has long given up on him, too.

Not an impossibility, though.

I agree.  Yes, it is a long shot, but they should consider it

Not sure where the locker room stands though.  A lot of vet players were going to bat for him early on.  Not sure where that is now

He was dragged to the playoffs and to those 4 victories. The weakest link on two teams that had Super Bowl-caliber rosters. That's his legacy.

Mark Sanchez was not the reason the Jets didn't win a Super Bowl either year. His numbers in the playoffs are very solid. Way better than his regular season numbers.

Mark Sanchez was not the reason the Jets didn't win a Super Bowl either year. His numbers in the playoffs are very solid. Way better than his regular season numbers.

yep

I didn't like Sanchez when the Jets drafted him, but he tricked me in the playoffs, I started thinking maybe he was going to be a player that shined when the chips were on the line.  HA

Better start getting your new Avitar ready! "cause as of March 15th, or whenever that Roster Bonus is due, Sanchez will be gone forever. Thanks for the memories, Mark.

He will be cut but he will have as good a shot to come back as any other free agent qb.

This isn't true. Alex Smith was playing GREAT football when he got hurt and lost his gig to Kaepernick, it was more about him growing into a QB, than about "a new environment". The trade to KC didn't make Alex Smith, Alex Smith made Alex Smith over the years in SF. It just took a while for that organization to get out of his way, they did NOTHING to help him there for the better part of his career.

There is zero comparison to be made to Sanchez, who progressively got worse over the years, other than that they are both QBs.

Correct he was playing great when injured in 2012. However he signed his one year contract to play in 2011 and went 13-3. After 2011 season he signed a 3 year $24mill contract. So he went from an avg qb from 2005-2010...big improvement in 2011 and was having a great year in 2012. Nice to see Sanchez follow the same path.

Correct he was playing great when injured in 2012. However he signed his one year contract to play in 2011 and went 13-3. After 2011 season he signed a 3 year $24mill contract. So he went from an avg qb from 2005-2010...big improvement in 2011 and was having a great year in 2012. Nice to see Sanchez follow the same path.

Don't even bother...  to 90% of the board Sanchez is the worst QB ever and nothing you say will change their opinion.  The clown you quoted just stated SF didn't give Smith weaponz, and in the next sentence says there is "zero comparison" to Sanchez.  It's so hypocritical you almost have to think he's joking..  but they're not.

I would have like to have seen what Sanchez would have done under MM but that ship has sailed.  Geno sucked for most of the year but has Mark in agility, speed, and arm strength.  If Sanchez is back next year it should be as a back up. 

Yeah, I know I am correct.

The rest of your response has almost nothing to do with the cause/effect of Alex Smith that you originally detail.

Of course it would be nice if Sanchez followed the same path, but that's not what I was responding to.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez ends up being a backup for the Patriots next season. I also won't be surprised if they sign Santonio Holmes either.

Let the demise of the Patriots organization begin!! Heck yeah.... take 'em both and I'll even throw in Stephen Hill as a chaser!!

Don't even bother...  to 90% of the board Sanchez is the worst QB ever and nothing you say will change their opinion.  The clown you quoted just stated SF didn't give Smith weaponz, and in the next sentence says there is "zero comparison" to Sanchez.  It's so hypocritical you almost have to think he's joking..  but they're not.

I would have like to have seen what Sanchez would have done under MM but that ship has sailed.  Geno sucked for most of the year but has Mark in agility, speed, and arm strength.  If Sanchez is back next year it should be as a back up. 

Never said that, you'll have to try harder if you really want me to bite on this troll crap.

Yeah, I know I am correct.

The rest of your response has almost nothing to do with the cause/effect of Alex Smith that you originally detail.

Of course it would be nice if Sanchez followed the same path, but that's not what I was responding to.

I was comparing the 2011 season and prior to watch Sanchez has done from his rookie year til now. Signing Sanchez to one a one year deal is the option I am giving. What happens is a mystery but it worked out well for smith. Not sure why you are bringing up 2012 and 2013.

One has to beg the question, if 3 mediocre performances and 1 quality performance from Sanchez in 4 playoffs wins apparently mean so much as to wipe away every failure (and there were a whole lot of them) over the course of 4 poor regular seasons, then how come 2 crappy playoff performances in which he was one of the primary reasons the Jets lost doesn't seem to carry any weight with some of you?

BG---I look at the improvement he made from 2010 to 2011. In 2011 he nearly doubled his TD total from the previous season. Also led the 2nd best red zone TD scaring offense in football. 2012 was a waste for the organization as a whole.

32 TD in 2011 is a lot. His 26 passing TD was 9th best in the NFL. The guy has plenty of upside as a veteran on the team. If he played for anyone else people would be saying this is the bug we should bring in given his age and potential.

I was comparing the 2011 season and prior to watch Sanchez has done from his rookie year til now. Signing Sanchez to one a one year deal is the option I am giving. What happens is a mystery but it worked out well for smith. Not sure why you are bringing up 2012 and 2013.

LOL whu?

You guys seriously might be in for a rude awakening lol. The password is: restructure.

There is absolutely zero upside to bringing Sanchez back.  Zero.

Option 1: Geno wins the QB competition and you have an overpaid back-up QB who makes more than the starter and was the former starter on the team.  Not a good situation.  It makes it much harder to bench Geno for him than another veteran because of the situation.

Option 2: Sanchez wins the QB competition and you essentially give up on Geno's career AND you have a starter who in 5 years in the league, failed to demonstrate he can be anything above one of the league's worst QBs.

Sanchez offers nothing to the Jets at this point.

LOL whu?

You're first response you talk about how great he was playing last season when he got hurt. I am talking about how his one year deal 2 years ago allowed for him to reinvent himself and actually have a chance to do something in 2012. I am not saying anything about what will happen with a one year deal for Sanchez ... He might come in and backup, might win the starting job, might have to fill in during the season. If things go his way and he has a strong season in 2014 he forces the jets to make a decision. Do they sign him like the niners did with Smith or let him walk. What smith did in 2012 has nothing to do with what I am saying. His 2011 season was the stop gap year... That is what you would like to see from Sanchez... A stable better an stop gap year with new weapons on offense.

Option 1: Geno wins the QB competition and you have an overpaid back-up QB who makes more than the starter and was the former starter on the team.  Not a good situation.  It makes it much harder to bench Geno for him than another veteran because of the situation.

Option 2: Sanchez wins the QB competition and you essentially give up on Geno's career AND you have a starter who in 5 years in the league, failed to demonstrate he can be anything above one of the league's worst QBs.

Why would you overpay him? No matter what the dead money hits the cap when he is cut . Whoever you sign that money is there. Sign him for whatever you want ... Hell Geno is making nothing as a second round pick. If geno can't win the job for the second year in a row he isn't the long term answer.

So best case Sanchez wins the job which proves Geno was never gonna be the man. He starts and maybe delivers a solid year with some legit weapons on offense and a real offensive system

Worst case you have a one year veteran backup ready to step in if geno sh*ts the bed like he didn for many games this season.

Geno is the 39th pick....isn't elite , isn't a franchise guy, has a lot of holes in his game , and the jets need to bring in a legit veteran and not another Davjd Garrard or mark Brunell.

You're first response you talk about how great he was playing last season when he got hurt. I am talking about how his one year deal 2 years ago allowed for him to reinvent himself and actually have a chance to do something in 2012. I am not saying anything about what will happen with a one year deal for Sanchez ... He might come in and backup, might win the starting job, might have to fill in during the season. If things go his way and he has a strong season in 2014 he forces the jets to make a decision. Do they sign him like the niners did with Smith or let him walk. What smith did in 2012 has nothing to do with what I am saying. His 2011 season was the stop gap year... That is what you would like to see from Sanchez... A stable better an stop gap year with new weapons on offense.

You're all over the map. My response to you was that going to KC didn't make Alex Smith, the way you alluded to. It was time in the league, he had already turned the corner in SF. It wasn't about him landing with a new team, new coach, etc.

In other words, since that seemed (at the time) to be the lynch pin of your argument, your argument is moot. Since I responded to you, you've bounced all over, I don't really want to get bogged down trying to respond to a moving target. It comes across as trolling. If that's not your intent, then I suggest you organize your thoughts better.

I would argue if Option 2 happens, Geno's career is over anyway.

I think if they do the unthinkable and bring him back, and option 1 happens, the only reason would be because they could not find anything else out there worth backing up Geno with.

Either way, I just don't see it happening. Sanchez is as hated as Rex is loved by the fan base.

Why would you overpay him? No matter what the dead money hits the cap when he is cut . Whoever you sign that money is there. Sign him for whatever you want ... Hell Geno is making nothing as a second round pick. If geno can't win the job for the second year in a row he isn't the long term answer.

So best case Sanchez wins the job which proves Geno was never gonna be the man. He starts and maybe delivers a solid year with some legit weapons on offense and a real offensive system

Worst case you have a one year veteran backup ready to step in if geno sh*ts the bed like he didn for many games this season.

Geno is the 39th pick....isn't elite , isn't a franchise guy, has a lot of holes in his game , and the jets need to bring in a legit veteran and not another Davjd Garrard or mark Brunell.

If "best case" is Sanchez starting, in your opinion, then nothing more needs to be said.  You're a Sanchez fan, not a Jet fan.

That's fine.  But don't pretend like you have the best interest of the Jets in mind.  It's transparent.

I would argue if Option 2 happens, Geno's career is over anyway.

I think if they do the unthinkable and bring him back, and option 1 happens, the only reason would be because they could not find anything else out there worth backing up Geno with.

Either way, I just don't see it happening. Sanchez is as hated as Rex is loved by the fan base.

That is 100% true.  But, that's why you don't go to Sanchez.  We've seen enough of Sanchez to know he's not a capable NFL starter.  If Geno proves not to be, that's fine.  But, going to Sanchez represents a major step backwards for the franchise.

The truth is, realistically the only thing that gets in the way of Geno as week 1 starter is another rookie (or young QB) taking the job.  Whoever the vet is, they are there only to step in if Geno struggles.

You're all over the map. My response to you was that going to KC didn't make Alex Smith, the way you alluded to. It was time in the league, he had already turned the corner in SF. It wasn't about him landing with a new team, new coach, etc.

In other words, since that seemed (at the time) to be the lynch pin of your argument, your argument is moot. Since I responded to you, you've bounced all over, I don't really want to get bogged down trying to respond to a moving target. It comes across as trolling. If that's not your intent, then I suggest you organize your thoughts better.

My  theory is that when Smith came back for a one year deal in 2011 he was there to be a stable veteran to lead a team that had some weapons.  A new system that fit smith and a gam eplan that worked for him.  In 2011 under they new OC he had his best season completing 61% of his passes had 17TD passes and only 5 interceptions.  He turned his career around in 2011 on that one year deal.  In 2012 he built on that 2011 campaing under a new 3 year contract.  He was completeing an insane 70% of his passes and had a 104 rating.  He got hurt and lost his job to Kap who offered more explosiveness on offense and was a bit of an unknown.

His play in 2011 and part of 2012 allowed him to be traded to KC in 2013 where he still completed 60% of his passes had 23TD and only 7 INT.  People like to think SMith was always this high percentage low turnover QB but that didn't happen until 2011 with a new OC and understanding what his role on the team was.  The Jets will have a lot of new weapons on offense next season.  That will take time to incorporate for any QB  - especially a young QB that really had issues in his rookie season.  Sanchez has already been through new personnel, new systems, and has always been a stand up guy. 

I understand there is a lot of hate towards him in NY from some fans, but when you look at what is out there for a QB I would rather have a flawed Sanchez that has won big games than a 35 year old career backup that has a handful of startes the last 5 years.  When Sanchez was the QB people complained well there is no threat to his job - he has no fear - he is too comfortable.  You want to see if Geno is the guy -- bring back the guy that beat him out in 2013 and see if that doesn't motivate his ass to show he is the real deal.

If "best case" is Sanchez starting, in your opinion, then nothing more needs to be said.  You're a Sanchez fan, not a Jet fan.

That's fine.  But don't pretend like you have the best interest of the Jets in mind.  It's transparent.

If the option is Geno Smith going into camp with the other veteran QB being Shaun Hill or some other no name backup QB with limited starting experience compared to Smith vs Sanchez with Simms and a draft pick I would opt for option number 2.  Geno failed to win the job in 2013...I would like to see if he can beat out the guy he failed to beat out.  See if he has developed into anything worth getting excited about.  Smith is a second round QB who was beyond awful for many games.  He only had 4 clean no interception games and tied the Jet record for Picks 6's...not the best record I want to see tied.

I am a Jet fan and when I see Geno Smith as the starter I see a wasted season waiting to happen unless he develops a lot over the winter.  When I look at the list of availble QBs in 2014 you know Jay Cutler isn't coming, Matt Schaub - please god no, Michael Vick - seriosuly, and a list of no names and never weres.  If Sanchez were just another name on that list fans would say he shoul dbe given a serious look to come in and battle with Smith. 

If the option is Geno Smith going into camp with the other veteran QB being Shaun Hill or some other no name backup QB with limited starting experience compared to Smith vs Sanchez with Simms and a draft pick I would opt for option number 2.  Geno failed to win the job in 2013...I would like to see if he can beat out the guy he failed to beat out.  See if he has developed into anything worth getting excited about.  Smith is a second round QB who was beyond awful for many games.  He only had 4 clean no interception games and tied the Jet record for Picks 6's...not the best record I want to see tied.

I am a Jet fan and when I see Geno Smith as the starter I see a wasted season waiting to happen unless he develops a lot over the winter.  When I look at the list of availble QBs in 2014 you know Jay Cutler isn't coming, Matt Schaub - please god no, Michael Vick - seriosuly, and a list of no names and never weres.  If Sanchez were just another name on that list fans would say he shoul dbe given a serious look to come in and battle with Smith. 

"Geno failed to win the job in 2013" -- Unless you work for the Jets, this is opinion and conjecture.

"I would like to see if he can beat out the guy he failed to beat out" -- This is unnecessary, petty, and still based on conjecture.

Finally, outside of a small pocket of Jets fans, Sanchez is one of the leagues worst QBs.  Statistics, both standard and advanced, back this up.  He would absolutely not be my choice of available QBs.

Archived