Jets will attempt to trade Sanchez this offseason - Mehta

Sperm Edwards

NY Jets ready to get rid of Mark Sanchez, will explore trade market for former first round pick

The Jets’ need to replace Sanchez with a veteran signal caller could lead them to another player who has fallen on hard times recently. The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

Comments (1)

BY MANISH MEHTA/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2012, 8:37 PM

Less than four years after the Jets made a franchise-changing decision to move up in the draft for Mark Sanchez, they will attempt to trade the struggling quarterback after the season.

One day after Rex Ryan benched Sanchez for third-stringer Greg McElroy for Sunday’s game against the Chargers, the Daily News has learned that the Jets will explore trading the player that they once believed would be their franchise quarterback.

It’s a stunning reality for a team that enjoyed the success of back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in Sanchez’s first two seasons. The Jets’ decision to look for trading partners doesn’t eliminate the possibility that he could be back in 2013 and still compete for the starting job.

In order for the Jets to pull off a deal, they would almost certainly have to absorb the bulk of Sanchez’s guaranteed $8.25 million base salary for 2013. The likely out-of-pocket ceiling for potential suitors would be $3 million.

The Jets’ need to replace Sanchez with a veteran signal caller could lead them to another player who has fallen on hard times recently.

The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

“Bring it on,” one Jets source said about signing Vick if he becomes available. “He was hit too many times (behind a subpar offensive line) the last two years.”

Rex Ryan may be the X-Factor to land Vick, according to sources. Ryan has always had an affinity for Vick, who could potentially help save the coach from getting his walking papers after the 2013 season.

“(Ryan) loves him,” a team official said.

The Jets’ solid offensive line and defense also make them an attractive option for Vick, who lost his starting job after suffering a concussion this season.

No matter which quarterback the Jets bring in to either replace or compete with Sanchez (if he’s not traded), Ryan will place special emphasis on ball security. Sanchez has a league-high 50 turnovers in the last 30 games.

“Our big thing is turning the football over,” Ryan said on Wednesday. “If you can point at one thing that we have to do better as a football team, and Mark has to do as a quarterback, that’s the thing I would look at: We have to protect the football. File that in the ‘No Kidding’ deal, but that’s the truth.”

Sanchez’s career arc has been unusual, to say the least. Expectations sky-rocketed after he won four road playoff games over his first two seasons. He had a 3:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio in six playoff games, tantalizing the franchise for what could lie ahead.

“Mark’s won games in this league. It’s not like he hasn’t,” Ryan said. “It’s hard to win playoff games in this league, and he’s got four of them all on the road. Wins against Peyton Manning on the road. Wins against Tom Brady. It’s not like he doesn’t have the tools to do it. That’s why we did take him with the fifth overall pick.”

Ryan praised Sanchez for having “the athleticism to be a tremendous quarterback,” but his penchant for giving up the ball was the breaking point for the coach. Sanchez revealed on Wednesday that Ryan relayed the news of his benching in the post-game locker room after his five-turnover performance in a 14-10 loss to the Titans on Monday.

“It’s not like a debate,” Sanchez said. “He’s the head man and he makes the decisions.”

Sanchez took scout-team reps in practice for the first time in his career Wednesday as McElroy prepared for his first career start. He didn’t speculate about his future with the team or address whether he felt hampered by lack of offensive weapons this season.

“I’m not going to make excuses,” Sanchez said. “At the end of the day, no matter what kind of situation that you’re in, the quarterback has the ball and it’s my job to make good decisions with the football regardless of personnel situation. I’m not going to go there. Is every interception the quarterback’s fault? Of course not. But they’re attributed to the quarterback. It goes as my stat. You live with that. You own up to your side of the mistakes and you move on.”

It was probably a surreal day for Sanchez, but he reiterated that his primary focus was to help McElroy prepare for his big moment.

“It’s different than what I expected in August,” Sanchez said. “But it’ll somehow work out. Make me better. Make me stronger.”

Even if it is not with the Jets.

Twitter.com/MMehtanydn

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz2FYQSjswh

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the "plan" is seriously to take a $17 million dollar hit on Sanchez only to replace him with a punch-drunk Michael Vick, then this will officially become the worst iteration of the New York Jets to ever exist.

Tannenbaum cannot be allowed to see this through.

The donkey show isn't going to end til that money is off the books. 2013 is going to be hilariously painful. Embrace it.

The donkey show isn't going to end til that money is off the books. 2013 is going to be hilariously painful. Embrace it.

They need to stash Sanchez as the #3 QB, pay him his $8 mil and allow a stopgap-type (Matt Hasselback?) to run the team for a year. That's the only route. Tannenbaum can't be trusted to do this, because he's a cockroach.

The News has learned that Michael Vick, who is expected to be released by the Eagles shortly after the season, would be amenable to coming to the Jets if Sanchez is out of the equation.

“Bring it on,” one Jets source said about signing Vick if he becomes available. “He was hit too many times (behind a subpar offensive line) the last two years.”

Rex Ryan may be the X-Factor to land Vick, according to sources. Ryan has always had an affinity for Vick, who could potentially help save the coach from getting his walking papers after the 2013 season.

“(Ryan) loves him,” a team official said.

The Jets’ solid offensive line and defense also make them an attractive option for Vick, who lost his starting job after suffering a concussion this season.

No matter which quarterback the Jets bring in to either replace or compete with Sanchez (if he’s not traded), Ryan will place special emphasis on ball security. Sanchez has a league-high 50 turnovers in the last 30 games.

So Vick is the answer? lulz

They need to stash Sanchez as the #3 QB, pay him his $8 mil and allow a stopgap-type (Matt Hasselback?) to run the team for a year. That's the only route. Tannenbaum can't be trusted to do this, because he's a cockroach.

Disagree. If they can get someone to eat $3M of his money then take it and don't look back.

Un*******believable.

Seriously.

So far the book on Rex's talent evaluation is this:

1. BOOM! Look at that one hit that John Conner put on a guy during a kick return, let's draft him.

2. WOW!! Look at what Santonio did in the SuperBowl 3 years ago when the Steelers didn't hate him, and he had a GREAT quarterback extending plays and throwing the ball to him.

3. HOLY COW!!! Plaxico is out of jail? He was excellent 4 years ago, I watched 5 minutes of tape.

Dude has done nothing but collect dimwitted, selfish, undisciplined players - some of which are athletes that don't understand football - and the other are just thug turds.

So this makes perfect sense.

I don't think I've seen anyone so bad at evaluating talent beyond the DL.

Rex isn't even a good DC, he's a good DL coach... and he has the my players need to love me mentality of a position coach. Imparts no fear. He's the cool dad.

I hate this ****ing guy. He's exactly who I feared he was when he came here. Ugh.

If the "plan" is seriously to take a $17 million dollar hit on Sanchez only to replace him with a punch-drunk Michael Vick, then this will officially become the worst iteration of the New York Jets to ever exist.

Dude, honestly, they're not winning it all next year.

The Jets with Vick might actually be fun to watch, if nothing else... When was the last time you could say that?

Slightly. He's also fragile and a felon. He's not a long term answer and he isn't coming cheap or on a one year deal and that's what they'll need before they draft another "franchise" quarterback.

I don't want to commit out year cap space to him but as a one year flyer, why not? You'd rather have Matt Moore?

on this we agree. Vick suffered more than 1 concussion this year and he has a bad habit of holding on to the ball too long.

all this is moot cause the trade market for Sanchez is non-existent.

The Daily News is reporting that the Jets will try to trade Mark Sanchez when the season is over. Per Manish Mehta:

NY Jets ready to get rid of Mark Sanchez, will explore trade market for former first round pick

Less than four years after the Jets made a franchise-changing decision to move up in the draft for Mark Sanchez, they will attempt to trade the struggling quarterback after the season.

One day after Rex Ryan benched Sanchez for third-stringer Greg McElroy for Sunday’s game against the Chargers, the Daily News has learned that the Jets will explore trading the player that they once believed would be their franchise quarterback.

In October, Dennis Agapito wrote this article on JetNation.com outlining how the Jets painted them into a corner with the contract they gave to Mark Sanchez.

…the Jets decided to give Sanchez a contract extension guaranteeing his 2012 and 13 salary.  Thought this was a
bad decision
at the time as Sanchez did not deserve the vote of confidence given his 2011 season.  Some will argue the Jets needed salary cap relief and got it by giving Sanchez this contract.

The fact is the Jets
saved
$6.4 million on the 2012 salary cap but pushed lots of salary into future caps and made it impossible to release Sanchez, no matter how bad he was, in 2013.  The Jets are
currently
$5.9 million under the cap so even if they never changed Sanchez’s contract given that Mike Tannenbaum is a “cap genius” he could have found enough space, because they didn’t need $6.4 million, and would not have
increased
the 2013 cap-hit $4.35 million for Sanchez.

The NFL has always been a what have you done for me lately league.  And the last memory Jets fans might have about Mark Sanchez could be his 4 interception performance against the Titans on Monday Night football.

I can see Vick signing. I don't see Sanchez being traded to any1. And it opens the door for Vick's injury to be the return of Sanchez. It's got Tanny's last stand written all over it.

If you put Vick with Kerley, Edwards and Hill and draft a guy like Travon Austin and a speed back, that could be a respectable offense. Not great, but not 2012.

Dude, honestly, they're not winning it all next year.

The Jets with Vick might actually be fun to watch, if nothing else... When was the last time you could say that?

I think Vick is brain dead at this point. The beatings he's taken with the Eagles has been ungodly. The second game against the Giants last year, I really thought there was a chance Vick was going to die. I agree that 2013 will suck anyway, but I'd rather see them give a few starts to a mid-round rookie QB than waste time on a washed-up vet.

I think Vick is brain dead at this point. The beatings he's taken with the Eagles has been ungodly. The second game against the Giants last year, I really thought there was a chance Vick was going to die. I agree that 2013 will suck anyway, but I'd rather see them give a few starts to a mid-round rookie QB than waste time on a washed-up vet.

He's not really washed up. He's good when he has time.

Archived