Draft Position Scenarios

JetNation

I think the assumption is that we'd have Matt Ryan, not McFadden.

ok well Mark is 4-6 in the playoffs and Matt Ryan is 0-3. I know the playoff stat thing is a huge crutch for Sanchez supporters but ask again how happy would Jets fans be with Matt Ryan really? We'd all be waiting for the inevitable playoff dump to happen. My point is that losing for a higher pick is not a road to recovery. If we want to really go crazy maybe they lose every game they can get Jake long that year. Who is on the injured reserve right now. Some drafts are weak, the 2013 draft is looking like one of those crops.

you can point to Andrew Luck and John Elway as an example where losing was a good thing. I can point to every other losing team, ever. The exception doesn't disprove the rule. Some teams have been losing for decades. All it does is make them a loser. Statistically you'd rather be a winner. To be in the rabbit hole so deep that losing is good... it's unhealthy way to think and it's no way to run a pro football team.

true but at this point tell me how winning the next 2 games would help this team......

that's true but 6-10 is still better than 8-8. And 9-7 is better than that. Rooting for the team to lose is no way to go through life.

i saw Vernon Gholston's name in this thread (it wouldn't be a draft thread without it) serious question how much better are the Jets with Darren McFadden?

yeah of course DMC is better but seriously, he'd be a pariah in this town if he had that career here.

As long as you bring it up, if the Jets lost that last game to KC in week 17 of 2007, the 2008 draft pick wouldn't have been Gholston or McFadden. It would have been Matt Ryan, since we would have been drafting at #2 instead of #6. We also wouldn't have given up a 3rd rounder and $12M for 1 year of Brett Favre. It also means we would have had our first and second round draft picks to use in 2009 instead of blowing them both on Sanchez.

So just so I get this right, you would choose a 4-12 record in 2007 and:

• Vernon Gholston
  • 1 year of Brett Favre
  • Half a decade of Mark Sanchez

instead of a 3-13 record in 2007 and:

• Matt Ryan
  • 2009 first round pick
  • 2009 second round pick
  • 2009 third round pick
  • $12M in cap room not used on Favre.
  • 3 players already under contract (Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, Brett Ratliff)

With those extra picks, then we might have taken a WR in rounds 1-3 in 2009 (Harvin? Nicks? Wallace?) which means we may not have traded 3rd and 5th rounders in 2010 (and another $10M in cap space) for less than 2 seasons of Braylon Edwards. Or maybe, since we still would have a hole at OLB due to not drafting Gholston, we might have taken Clay Matthews.

Looks to me like it was a damn tragedy for the Jets to win that last game in 2007 when we were already eliminated.

Now what say you?

As long as you bring it up, if the Jets lost that last game to KC in week 17 of 2007, the 2008 draft pick wouldn't have been Gholston or McFadden. It would have been Matt Ryan, since we would have been drafting at #2 instead of #6. We also wouldn't have given up a 3rd rounder and $12M for 1 year of Brett Favre. It also means we would have had our first and second round draft picks to use in 2009 instead of blowing them both on Sanchez.

• Vernon Gholston
  • 1 year of Brett Favre

• Matt Ryan
  • 2009 first round pick
  • 2009 second round pick
  • 2009 third round pick

With those extra picks, then we might have taken a WR in rounds 1-3 in 2009 (Harvin? Nicks? Wallace?) which means we may not have traded 3rd and 5th rounders in 2010 (and another $10M in cap space) for less than 2 seasons of Braylon Edwards. Or maybe, since we still would have a hole at OLB due to not drafting Gholston, we might have taken Clay Matthews.

Looks to me like it was a damn tragedy for the Jets to win that last game in 2007 when we were already eliminated.

Now what say you?

This just made me so sad. Never knew this.

ok well Mark is 4-6 in the playoffs and Matt Ryan is 0-3. I know the playoff stat thing is a huge crutch for Sanchez supporters but ask again how happy would Jets fans be with Matt Ryan really? We'd all be waiting for the inevitable playoff dump to happen. My point is that losing for a higher pick is not a road to recovery. If we want to really go crazy maybe they lose every game they can get Jake long that year. Who is on the injured reserve right now. Some drafts are weak, the 2013 draft is looking like one of those crops.

cool-story-poe.jpg

This just made me so sad. Never knew this.

Yeah. Hope we lose these last 2 games.

Especially now more than ever, with rookie contracts being slotted. Used to be that the higher the pick, the more costly the misfire if you didn't get the pick right. Now they're all relatively cheap. Luck's rookie contract is for $5.5M/year and he was the #1 friggin' pick. Sanchez's was about twice that for the #5 pick 3 years earlier.

Hate to say it but when eliminated, we should lose every game. I mean I'll root for them to do well, particularly players who are definitely returning, who are in our long-term plans, or whose trade value we want to remain high. But ultimately I want them to lose these last 2 games. We are mathematically eliminated and should be entering a major rebuilding process without a QB. Having higher draft picks in every round is better than having lower draft picks in every round, and winning meaningless games can only hurt the team's future.

I should say that despite my position on the Cubs - who's 2012 tanking I understood and was fine with (it's throwing other seasons that wowed me) - the Jets winning the last two games does nothing to benefit the franchise.

A high pick gives us a shot at DeMontre Moore or whatever pass rusher is viewed as the most legit by April.

As long as you bring it up, if the Jets lost that last game to KC in week 17 of 2007, the 2008 draft pick wouldn't have been Gholston or McFadden. It would have been Matt Ryan,

Now what say you?

Matt Ryan stinks in the playoffs and we'd hate his guts if he was here.

Are you seriously asking me if Jets fans would be happier with Matt Ryan than they were with Vernon Gholston and Mark Sanchez?

To be fair, Jets fans are never happy. We could be watching the Jets win the Super Bowl whilst getting oral satisfaction from your dream girl and all the while complain the chicken wing dip was too spicy and the beer wasn't "craft" enough.

yeah i'd especially hate that 68% completion rate and 2:1 td:int ratio. not to mention the fact that he has a record of 55-21 as a starter and he has 23 fumbles in 5 years whereas dirty sanchez has that many the past 2 years. matt ryan would be loved here

You also said in March that Peyton Manning sucks now and Mark Sanchez is better.

How many playoff wins do the Jets have, with Sanchez at QB, when the defense gives up 3 TDs? None. So if you're going to try that, at least compare apples and apples. Because in all 3 of Atlanta's playoff games with Ryan the defense has given up that much or more. That doesn't make Ryan's 3 playoff games awesome, but Sanchez would also have zero wins because he sucks balls.

Sanchez is a liability. Ryan is an asset. Doubt there are 5 people who aren't related to Sanchez who feel otherwise.

Taking Gholson + Favre (1 year) + Sanchez + $20-30M less cap space over Matt Ryan is indefensible. Odd you would try to defend it.

You don't saddle a potential incoming GM with a HC that is flailing. You give him a clean slate

Only curveball is Woody is a soft touch and probably doesn't want to pay Rex Ryan to sit home. Plausible prospective new GM might give Ryan a year to prove himself on a very short leash. Which could be a stumbling block to hiring a good real new GM. 2013 is probably a pass for everyone, but having to bring in a new coach and his staff and systems in 2014 is not ideal. And the fan base can put up with a lot but not another odwn year by design in 2014.

• Vernon Gholston
  • 1 year of Brett Favre

• Matt Ryan
  • 2009 first round pick
  • 2009 second round pick
  • 2009 third round pick

Now what say you?

The pwn is strong with this post.

• Vernon Gholston
  • 1 year of Brett Favre

• Matt Ryan
  • 2009 first round pick
  • 2009 second round pick
  • 2009 third round pick

Now what say you?

I say.....

"Everyone said if Marino was going to be around at that time, they'd pick Marino. Obviously the Jets know something that the people up here don't."

*New York Jets First Round choice: Jeff Lageman, Linebacker, Virginia* "It's obvious to me right now that the New York Jets just don't understand what the draft's all about."

*We want Sapp! We want Sapp!* *Sapp wipes sweat from forehead* "The New York Jets select tight end, Penn State, Kyle Brady."

Or, in other words, you're thinking wishfully.

• Vernon Gholston
  • 1 year of Brett Favre

• Matt Ryan
  • 2009 first round pick
  • 2009 second round pick
  • 2009 third round pick

Now what say you?

POTWN

And heartbreaking.

I like Ryan a lot too, but I am not so sure if we had gotten him, that he would be anywhere near the player we are watching right now.

He has a tremendous set of skill players around him, and a very creative OC.

He would be much better than Sanchez most likely, but nothing even close to what he is in Atlanta.

The Falcons at least did it right, they drafted a QB high, and put a tremendous offense around him to help him succeed.

Sanchez is awful, but the Jets did exactly what u don't do when drafting a QB high

Archived