first 5 moves you'd make if given the reigns this offseason

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think priority #1 for any candidate has to be that they're just going to let all the bad stuff expire in the 2013 season and not do anything major. There is a lot of opportunity for the Jets in the future if they just take some time off from max deals and trading away picks. Two good drafts and a couple solid FA acquisitions and we're right back in the mix of things but the Jets first and foremost have to decide that they're going to let that happen.

AKA Standard Retooling Procedure, and I completely agree. Luckily this FA class does not have any big money temptations I can think of off the top of my head, and I think the team would avoid anyway.

I love people saying they want mangini as gm... I'm o my phone but if I were at a pc this would be a great time to bump some 2007 threads or some Schlegel /gholston threads or the ones where he admits he doesn't make in game adjustments... If you think mangini is any part of the answer you are a fool.

2006 draft under mangini:

d'brickashaw ferguson

Nick mangold

Kellen Clemens

Schlegel

Eric smith

Brad smith

Leon Washington

Jason posiask

Drew Coleman

Titus Adams

2007:

Darrell's revis

David Harris

Chansi stuckey

Jacob bender

FA..: Thomas jones.

2008:

ghoulston

Keller

Lowery

Ainge

Henry

Garner

FA:

Chris Jenkins (trade)

Alan faneca

Calvin pace

Damien woody

Tony Richardson

Ty law

Brett farve

And u give a crap about Anthony Schlegel and in-game adjustments from a general manager? Deny this haul can be beat by ant jets coach in the last twenty years. You can't.

BTW: Steelers fans hate Bruce Arians with the wrath of a thousand gods.

And rothlisberger nearly mutinied whe he wasn't retained.

It probably a moot point anyway considering he said this when asked about whether hed consider taking on a hc job with another team:

“My gosh, you’ve got to," he said. “But if they don’t have a quarterback or don’t have a chance to get one, that ain’t no fun, man. That’s a headache and ass firing waiting to happen.

“But sure, I’d listen. You have to. That’s your goal. That’s why you do this."

You're just fetishizing non-Rexness at this point. Dungy is Lovie Smith with a better QB.

True about the non-Rexness. But, I mentioned the Dungy thing as an extension of a hypothetical Polian hiring, wherein Polian would want to put the band back together. Dungy makes me puke on a social-views level.

That said, I'd much rather wake up on February 5th with Polian/Dungy running this team than the anticipated Tannenbaum/Rex combo.

I would make the games more family friendly with a series of halftime challenges:

1 - Set up cardboard cutouts of players, three fans come down and try to throw more ints than Sanchez

2 - Three female fans come down and see how many of them can throw a football further than McElroy

3 - Three fans under the age of 12 come down and see how many of them can run through a Cromartie tackle

4 - Three disabled fans come down and see how many can beat the Jets o-line with a speed rush

5 - As many fans as want to come down and do their best reenactment of Buttfumble

All winners get a foot massage from Rex on the jumbotron.

1. Walk straight into Woody's office and tell him flat out that it's my way or the highway and to stay out of everything. If he has a problem with that, I'll go elsewhere. Under no circumstances is he to involve himself in football decisions anymore and any attempt to will result in my resignation. His job is to shut his mouth, sign the checks, and watch from his skybox.

2. Fire Rex and the entire coaching staff excepting Pettine, who gets asked to stay on as DC with a raise.

3. Cut Scott, Sanchez, Tebow, and Holmes. Disregard any and all cap penalties, they have to go, period. Trade Harris. Let Keller, Greene, Slauson, and Landry walk. Offer a take-it-or-leave-it reduced pay to Pace.

4. Hold a press conference stating explicitly that the old way of doing things is over. No more moves in the interest of headlines, no more "Play Like a Jet" bullsh*t. No more overpaying players. No more overly dramatic or overly ambiguous nonsense like the past 2 regimes have given the fans and press.

5. Make it very clear that under no circumstances is anyone in the scouting department to consider walking into my office and recommend trading up for someone in the next two drafts. The first guy who does it gets fired. Anyone after gets put to death.

You know my political lean. You know how irritating I find Dungy. That said, I'd tolerate it because I think he'd do a good job.

Problem would be twofold; all the idiocy of Herman Edwards on the field and social views that in this market will be a problem. But even saying that it would bring the Jets back to some respectabilitty. At this point if Keith Richards or Ted Nugent or Camille Paglia could coach a football team, done. Rex Ryan has made things so awful the even the clear downside of Dungy might be a big improvement.

One thing that has bothered me about DUngy still will always be he had the Bucs quit on him in a playoff game vs. the Eagles before he was fired. On the other hand Rex Ryan on the 2 biggest days of his life only had his teams ready to play 30 minutes instead of 60. I fullly expect if it is Dungy I will complain about many of the same things that made Herman Edwards infuriating, and still he would be better than this daily horror show.

1. Fire Mike Tannenbaum or at least move him to the accounting department. Bring in a talent guy who can actually develop talent and recognize it in a draft.

2. Allow new GM to decide Rex's fate.

3. Fire Tony Sparano, whether Rex stays or goes.

4. Release Tim Tebow. Cut Scott, Pace, Thomas, Jason Smith, Eric Smith etc to make the cap more manageable.

5. Seriously explore trading Darelle Revis or Antonio Cromartie.

I say keep no one, or at least not anyone who has had Woody's ear in the past. Woody is a flake. I want no serpents around trying to twist his feeble mind. Agree with everything else

I would make the games more family friendly with a series of halftime challenges:

1 - Set up cardboard cutouts of players, three fans come down and try to throw more ints than Sanchez

2 - Three female fans come down and see how many of them can throw a football further than McElroy

3 - Three fans under the age of 12 come down and see how many of them can run through a Cromartie tackle

4 - Three disabled fans come down and see how many can beat the Jets o-line with a speed rush

5 - As many fans as want to come down and do their best reenactment of Buttfumble

All winners get a foot massage from Rex on the jumbotron.

i love this idea

Let's face it guys, this is the Jets we're talking about here. We all KNOW the way that Woody Johnson runs things by now. He makes the minimal amount of changes that he has to to save face. In this case it means that (from all reports) Sparano will be fired and that will be seen as THE big move since no SERIOUS football people even want to be affiliated with this crappy club. As somebody said somewhere, we've only had one guy (who has BEEN an NFL head coach) who even WANTED to be the HC of the NYJ. Remember, Bill Cowher actually LAUGHED at the prospect of taking the Jets job....it has become painfully obvious that Woody Johnson is seen as a not so serious owner who can't seem to attract anyone of any substance to work for him. So...don't expect much in terms of any big sweeping changes being made this January, Feb, March. Rex will be back and if no one even wants the job like I suspect, Tannenbaum will be back as the GM

Let's face it guys, this is the Jets we're talking about here. We all KNOW the way that Woody Johnson runs things by now. He makes the minimal amount of changes that he has to to save face. In this case it means that (from all reports) Sparano will be fired and that will be seen as THE big move since no SERIOUS football people even want to be affiliated with this crappy club. As somebody said somewhere, we've only had one guy (who has BEEN an NFL head coach) who even WANTED to be the HC of the NYJ. Remember, Bill Cowher actually LAUGHED at the prospect of taking the Jets job....it has become painfully obvious that Woody Johnson is seen as a not so serious owner who can't seem to attract anyone of any substance to work for him. So...don't expect much in terms of any big sweeping changes being made this January, Feb, March. Rex will be back and if no one even wants the job like I suspect, Tannenbaum will be back as the GM

It's telling that even when Edwards and Mangini walked the plank the Tannenbaum/Bradway front office stayed mostly intact spare a swap of titles. And this is the problem; no serious GM candidate is going to jump into this mess to find himself backstabbed and 2nd guessed by these 2 surivors talking into Johnson's ear on a daily bassi.

It's telling that even when Edwards and Mangini walked the plank the Tannenbaum/Bradway front office stayed mostly intact spare a swap of titles. And this is the problem; no serious GM candidate is going to jump into this mess to find himself backstabbed and 2nd guessed by these 2 surivors talking into Johnson's ear on a daily bassi.

I truly wish the NFL had give the Jets to the Dolans instead of this rich kid...at least we would all be able to be watching the Jets lose in their own stadium on the west side of the Big City instead of sharing one with the better team who wins Super Bowls

1) Fire Tannenbaum: Once he is out the door I would start making calls to guys like Polian, Mike Holmgren (Who knows a little something about QB's as well) and probably a few others to gauge their interest. I want a GM who is going to bring in a scouting department that understands the draft is more than 3 rounds and that will spend alot of time in the office after the Super Bowl going over film looking for football players. Use the combine to go find potential diamonds in rough not first round picks. If the new GM wants to fire Rex and the coaching staff, so be it.

2) New head coach (If so deemed by the new GM). I want somebody that will be able to use 2013 to see if there is anything salvagable from the QB that used to be Mark Sanchez. They will also need to bring in a veteran QB like a Matt Hasslebeck to get me through the 2013 season and tell Holmes to STFU. At that point we can make the final call on cutting Sanchez and look to draft another QB. If it wasn't for the salary cap hit I would cut Sanchez today but since the hit is 17 million might as well see if there is anything salvagable.

3) Sparano, Bart Scott, Tim Tebow, C'ya

4) Go me some damn weapons on offense. Use the draft and free agency to upgrade the RB position. If Keller leaves (which i don't think he will based on this season) then go get a TE as well.

5) Pray for a miracle.

1. Walk straight into Woody's office and tell him flat out that it's my way or the highway and to stay out of everything. If he has a problem with that, I'll go elsewhere. Under no circumstances is he to involve himself in football decisions anymore and any attempt to will result in my resignation. His job is to shut his mouth, sign the checks, and watch from his skybox.

Are you Belichek in this scenario? How many rings are you bringing to the Jets to make these demands. A fistful?

1) Re-Sign Laron Landry

2) Sparano out, Hire Norv or other proven candidate as OC

3) Sign either Alex Smith or Mike Vick to compete with (and beat out) Mark Sanchez.

4) Draft best available DE pass rusher or RB stud in rd 1.

5) Sign or Draft a real TE at some point.

Is there a reason to not like Dungy from a football standpoint. I know ppl are still turned off bc of his association w Herm but the guy knows football.

I think its because it took Dungy forever to get over the hump and even when he did the feeling was he had little to do with it. He had great teams in Tampa Bay and they could not win the big one until after he left. In Indianapolis it was more of the same though they finally did get one.

The football issue I have with Dungy would be more or less whether his brand of football can succeed today. He is a defensive coach that had limited success rebuilding/rebranding the Colts defense. Offensively he has no clue. Those Tampa teams were brutal offensively. The Colts were simply a byproduct of the QB. This wasnt a situation where he is coaching a young Peyton Manning, ala Belichick and Brady from 2001-2003, and trying to just use him as a piece to the championship. This was the greatest QB in the league in his prime. So in general I think you are asking him to come in and try to bring his Tampa 2 style that was successful a decade ago into New York. Thats a tall order when you consider the lack of success with it in Indy.

Dungy is also a players coach and if you move on from Rex you need a bit more discipline in the system, IMO.

1) Re-Sign Laron Landry

2) Sparano out, Hire Norv or other proven candidate as OC

3) Sign either Alex Smith or Mike Vick to compete with (and beat out) Mark Sanchez.

4) Draft best available DE pass rusher or RB stud in rd 1.

5) Sign or Draft a real TE at some point.

I have no interest in either of those two in number 3. Too expensive, too many years, not enough of an upgrade.

What stud RBs are in the first round? I find it lacking. And I don't want another DE. If we go defense in round 1 it had better be a 3 down OLB who can cover.

What stud RBs are in the first round? I find it lacking. And I don't want another DE. If we go defense in round 1 it had better be a 3 down OLB who can cover.

OLB pass rusher in 1 like Jarvis Jones, Bjorn, Sam Montgomery, Damontre Moore

RB in rd 2 like Eddie Lacy or Andre Ellington.

Calvin Pace and Shonn Greene are not coming back these are 2 obvious moves

I'm with this, kinda. Make this a blue-collar, foundation-laying draft. Try to squeeze out extra picks, draft OL, TE, LB, then hope you're in position for the big QB in 2014.

They'll have to address OG, OT, and TE eventually too right? I am on record of not loving Jarvis Jones.

Archived