first 5 moves you'd make if given the reigns this offseason

sirlancemehlot

There's a much better chance for us to compete next year by trying to replicate the 2009 version than trying to become this passing team...that isnt going to happen.

We tried to be ground and pound this year....all that was was lipservice. No backs, sh*tty guards...never made sense.

Replace Slauson and Moore and get some running backs that can actually play. Unless Geno is on the board....none of the QB's are worth spending a high pick on imo.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does everybody want to draft a TE? Even if Keller is gone, Cumberland and Reuland are not bad. They are certainly not the dregs like we are going to be rolling with at other spots.

in a word: blocking

a blocking TE can make a huge difference in the run game. Say what you will about Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht, but what they lacked in sodt hands they made up for in mauling DEs and linebackers. From the Chris baker era on, we've lacked that dominating blocker on the end of the line.To claim a "ground and pound philosophy" and ignore the blocking TE is a recipe for failure, especially considering the struggles of our RT's the l;ast two seasons.

Why does everybody want to draft a TE? Even if Keller is gone, Cumberland and Reuland are not bad. They are certainly not the dregs like we are going to be rolling with at other spots.

Having the guy that's competent both blocking and out in the pattern makes life easier for everybody.

in a word: blocking

a blocking TE can make a huge difference in the run game. Say what you will about Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht, but what they lacked in sodt hands they made up for in mauling DEs and linebackers. From the Chris baker era on, we've lacked that dominating blocker on the end of the line.To claim a "ground and pound philosophy" and ignore the blocking TE is a recipe for failure, especially considering the struggles of our RT's the l;ast two seasons.

Having the guy that's competent both blocking and out in the pattern makes life easier for everybody.

Reuland seemed to block okay to me. Cumberland still leaves something to be desired. I think Reuland is a decent 2 way TE and I think that using an OT for the true blocking TE is fine. No need to burn a pick IMO. Bring in some vet min guy(s) and a batch of UDFAs - priority guys will probably come because they will see a chance to start. I'd rather get a Richie Anderson/Sowell styled pass catching FB. Somebody that could take some pressure off the QB - and I wouldn't draft one of those either - easy UDFA position to try and fill and develop.

Reuland seemed to block okay to me. Cumberland still leaves something to be desired. I think Reuland is a decent 2 way TE and I think that using an OT for the true blocking TE is fine. No need to burn a pick IMO. Bring in some vet min guy(s) and a batch of UDFAs - priority guys will probably come because they will see a chance to start. I'd rather get a Richie Anderson/Sowell styled pass catching FB. Somebody that could take some pressure off the QB - and I wouldn't draft one of those either - easy UDFA position to try and fill and develop.

Reuland is here because he's boys with Sanchez. That's it.

Reuland is here because he's boys with Sanchez. That's it.

1. So is Braylon Edwards, and most of these people (including the OP) want him back on a multi-year deal.

2. Who cares why he is here? He looks like he can play alright to me. The Niners liked him and they have some pretty good TEs over there. Scottie McKnight was only here because he was "boys with Sanchez" and he didn't get any run.

3. Like how I wrote all this bullsh*t in response to what was probably nothing more than a joke?

1. So is Braylon Edwards, and most of these people (including the OP) want him back on a multi-year deal.

2. Who cares why he is here? He looks like he can play alright to me. The Niners liked him and they have some pretty good TEs over there. Scottie McKnight was only here because he was "boys with Sanchez" and he didn't get any run.

3. Like how I wrote all this bullsh*t in response to what was probably nothing more than a joke?

Jeff Reuland is not the future.

1. Fire Tanny

2. Hire either one off Ross, Polian or that guy from Texans

3. Give Sanchez a broom and tell him to start swooping away

4. Get in charge over the cheerleading tryouts

5. Sleep with all the girls on the tryouts + Woodys daughter, just for fun

I liked what Reuland showed this year. Needs to gain some weight, but showed some versatility and such.

he was ok but im remembering several bad drops and bad penalties. altho this could be a matthew mulligan flashback. the Jets don't need to draft a TE high but they certainly need one (or more). In related news Hayden Smith got his first NFL reception last week.

I liked what Reuland showed this year. Needs to gain some weight, but showed some versatility and such.

i think these dem jets have effed up your eyes mon, i am not even sure Cro would have been good, if schedule was hard. played so many sh1tty qbs this yr

Agree with the idea of a pass catching back which is why I mentioned " a Danny woodhead type" to bail out the qb and pick up blitzes. Udfa or late pick would do. But the TE is too important to overlook IMO. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Daniels, witten, Gonzalez , gates, graham, Lewis , these guys are huge weapons and most of them excellent blockers. Using a tackle tips your hand. You don't have to cover Jason smith. You see the jumbo package and you're playing run all the way.

Agree with the idea of a pass catching back which is why I mentioned " a Danny woodhead type" to bail out the qb and pick up blitzes. Udfa or late pick would do. But the TE is too important to overlook IMO. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Daniels, witten, Gonzalez , gates, graham, Lewis , these guys are huge weapons and most of them excellent blockers. Using a tackle tips your hand. You don't have to cover Jason smith. You see the jumbo package and you're playing run all the way.

Fine with this, but I am talking about a pass catching FB. Somebody that is in WITH the HB and can still catch. You don't need speed to catch a 3-4 yard pass, run 2-3 yards and fall down. It's an easy place to find a football player. FWIW, I don't remember Reuland dropping balls or being penalized much. I think he had one bad drop, but it was in that stretch where Sanchez couldn't hit a barn and a bunch of other guys had drops right around it. I'm not saying he's a world beater, but he's the kind of guy we are looking for and we aren't going to find Gates or Witten without burning a high pick. There will be need positions - OLB, RB, S, OG. We have to try to fill them with FAs and maybe the draft - if a real deal TE is around, fine, but it's not a huge need IMO.

Seriously? IMO TEs worth first rounders are few. If he is there take him, but Cumberland/Rueland + 1st rounder elsewhere > First Round TE + some stiff @ OLB/OG/S/RB

Look at all the playoff teams. They all have legitimate TEs. I don't know where you're getting this about Reuland being even a contributor. The dude is scraps. Tyler Eifert will be a monster in this league.

Look at all the playoff teams. They all have legitimate TEs. I don't know where you're getting this about Reuland being even a contributor. The dude is scraps. Tyler Eifert will be a monster in this league.

I'm saying that there will be few 1st round grade TEs and TE is not a value position IMO. Reuland IS scraps. So is Cumberland, but they both can and did contribute.

Question implies im the new gm so dont have to list that one one of my moves; in no particular order

1. Trade everyone with trade value

2. Accelerate all cap pain possible to 2013 by cutting high priced talent with no trade value not expected to contribute in 2014 and beyond

3. Sign a cheap placeholder qb ala orton or matt moore for next season

4. Defer decision on rex by bringing in an OC with a modern philosophy who can step into hc role in 2014 if need be

5. Start scounting qbs expected to enter draft or FA in 2014

First 5 moves don't exist in a vacuum. Need a tentative plan for the season, though these plans would probably change by March 1 given the state of the team and results of the combine, and certainly by draft time in late April.

Cut Pace. Cut Scott. Cut Eric Smith. Cut Justin Smith. Cut Tebow (unless we can squeeze something - anything - out of Jacksonville). Those are the first 5 moves. Don't (immediately) re-sign Moore, Slauson, DeVito, Greene, Hilliard, Keller, Thomas, or Landry.

Intend to keep Harris at his current numbers. Depending on how the last moves play out for the team in free agency, move a maximum of $2M to 2014. Though that pretty much guarantees him 2 years of starting instead of just the 2013 season.

Keep Holmes for 1 more year. Douche that he is, Holmes is at least a legitimate #2 WR at worst. Likely cut him in 2014 barring an unexpected turnaround in production and attitude.

Cut Sanchez. Take the full cap hit in 2013 so none leaks into 2014. If we can find someone to trade with where we get a 7th round pick in 2013 that upgrades to a 5th in 2014 if he starts 9 or more games in 2013 I'll take it and probably blow the GM who offers it to me. Twice. New team only absorbs $1M of Sanchez's salary and all of his $500K workout bonus. $16M dead cap hit in 2013 then he's off the books completely for 2014 and beyond. I'll take it.

Offer $12M/year extension for Revis to keep him beyond next season (though I don't know how it could be structured to fit under the cap and with the high guaranteed $ that a Revis will require). Further, will need same language as exists in his current deal that he's screwed for the rest of his prime earning years if he holds out. If he scoffs at it, which I expect he would, then trade him for a 1st round pick if that's the best we can get coming off injury (though I'd prefer to get more for this all-time great). If he makes it through the season without injury he'll be a UFA in 2014 demanding $16M+ anyway (and will hold out 2 years into that deal as well).

Trade Cromartie for a first. He may very well have that trade value considering his level of play and that he's under contract for 2 more years. In the most optimistic scenario, he'll be of use to us (for a legit run) in 2014 and then he's a 30 year-old FA. If the best we can get is a low 2nd or worse, then keep him.

Trade one of our newly acquired first round picks for Kirk Cousins (2nd if Washington will take that, and I prefer they do). As of today he seems to be at least as good of a prospect as the potential first rounders. Washington has no first round picks the next 2 drafts and that may be too tough for them to turn down for their backup QB no matter what lip service they're giving to the media right now. Cousins better be noticeably above-average with us winning 8+ games by year 2, though, or else I'll get fired pretty soon. Now that I've written this he'll probably suck for us once he's given a starting job.

Alternative, if possible. Combine trading a CB for a 1st and a high 2nd or 1st for Cousins: Trade Cromartie or Revis for Kirk Cousins and a 3rd-4th round pick. Josh Wilson sucks anyway.

Since it looks dumber than super-stupid on its face, why would I be willing to trade Revis and/or Cromartie?

Both have high cap numbers and VERY high trade value. The Jets are in need of cap space and as many high draft picks as we can get. If either one figures to be a starter for the next 4-5 years then I'd feel differently. But to keep one or both for a year or two at high cap numbers during rebuild/non-contender seasons makes little sense to me. With 12 starting positions (plus our kicker and punter) needing to be filled via the draft and free agency (with limited cap space), Jets will probably suck with or without these two in 2013.

Using or turning down 1st round picks for high priced players should only be done if you are contenders that year and/or if you figure that player to be a high-level performer for at least 4 more seasons.

Revis is a FA after 2013. He famously wants $16M/year or more, which he isn't worth because no matter how great he is, he's still just a CB. Turning down a trade offer of a first is the same as burning a first just to have him for 1 more year, during a rebuilding season no less, and then the privilege of entering a contract negotiation with him past 2013.

Cromartie is a FA after 2014 and will then be 30 years old. Turning down a 1st (assuming we could get it) is the same as trading a 1st to acquire him for 2 more years. That may make sense for a contender, but not for a rebuilding team already undergoing a gutting of half their starters.

By the time we're contenders again, Cromartie would be a 30 year old FA and Revis' cap number would be hovering around $19M for us.

Now I've created a hole at CB for the next couple of seasons (two if you count Wilson, but he'll just have to start again). But I've gained a 1st round pick plus a dirt-cheap starting QB who won't need a new mega contact for at least 2 more seasons until he shows something.

Trade Cromartie for a first. He may very well have that trade value considering his level of play and that he's under contract for 2 more years. In the most optimistic scenario, he'll be of use to us (for a legit run) in 2014 and then he's a 30 year-old FA. If the best we can get is a low 2nd or worse, then keep him.

You don't think we could get double for Revis what we get for Cro? I know we wont get 2 1st's for Revis - but we could get a 1st and a 3rd maybe. Or Cousins and a 2nd/4th. Snyder will pay Revis the 16 he wants so he can have the core to a defense. By trading Revis and keeping Cro we won't exhaust our backfield and I think we can get much more in trade for DR.

First 5 moves don't exist in a vacuum. Need a tentative plan for the season, though these plans would probably change by March 1 given the state of the team and results of the combine, and certainly by draft time in late April.

Cut Pace. Cut Scott. Cut Eric Smith. Cut Justin Smith. Cut Tebow (unless we can squeeze something - anything - out of Jacksonville). Those are the first 5 moves. Don't (immediately) re-sign Moore, Slauson, DeVito, Greene, Hilliard, Keller, Thomas, or Landry.

Intend to keep Harris at his current numbers. Depending on how the last moves play out for the team in free agency, move a maximum of $2M to 2014. Though that pretty much guarantees him 2 years of starting instead of just the 2013 season.

Keep Holmes for 1 more year. Douche that he is, Holmes is at least a legitimate #2 WR at worst. Likely cut him in 2014 barring an unexpected turnaround in production and attitude.

Cut Sanchez. Take the full cap hit in 2013 so none leaks into 2014. If we can find someone to trade with where we get a 7th round pick in 2013 that upgrades to a 5th in 2014 if he starts 9 or more games in 2013 I'll take it and probably blow the GM who offers it to me. Twice. New team only absorbs $1M of Sanchez's salary and all of his $500K workout bonus. $16M dead cap hit in 2013 then he's off the books completely for 2014 and beyond. I'll take it.

Offer $12M/year extension for Revis to keep him beyond next season (though I don't know how it could be structured to fit under the cap and with the high guaranteed $ that a Revis will require). Further, will need same language as exists in his current deal that he's screwed for the rest of his prime earning years if he holds out. If he scoffs at it, which I expect he would, then trade him for a 1st round pick if that's the best we can get coming off injury (though I'd prefer to get more for this all-time great). If he makes it through the season without injury he'll be a UFA in 2014 demanding $16M+ anyway (and will hold out 2 years into that deal as well).

Trade one of our newly acquired first round picks for Kirk Cousins (2nd if Washington will take that, and I prefer they do). As of today he seems to be at least as good of a prospect as the potential first rounders. Washington has no first round picks the next 2 drafts and that may be too tough for them to turn down for their backup QB no matter what lip service they're giving to the media right now. Cousins better be noticeably above-average with us winning 8+ games by year 2, though, or else I'll get fired pretty soon. Now that I've written this he'll probably suck for us once he's given a starting job.

Alternative, if possible. Combine trading a CB for a 1st and a high 2nd or 1st for Cousins: Trade Cromartie or Revis for Kirk Cousins and a 3rd-4th round pick. Josh Wilson sucks anyway.

Since it looks dumber than super-stupid on its face, why would I be willing to trade Revis and/or Cromartie?

Both have high cap numbers and VERY high trade value. The Jets are in need of cap space and as many high draft picks as we can get. If either one figures to be a starter for the next 4-5 years then I'd feel differently. But to keep one or both for a year or two at high cap numbers during rebuild/non-contender seasons makes little sense to me. With 12 starting positions (plus our kicker and punter) needing to be filled via the draft and free agency (with limited cap space), Jets will probably suck with or without these two in 2013.

Using or turning down 1st round picks for high priced players should only be done if you are contenders that year and/or if you figure that player to be a high-level performer for at least 4 more seasons.

Revis is a FA after 2013. He famously wants $16M/year or more, which he isn't worth because no matter how great he is, he's still just a CB. Turning down a trade offer of a first is the same as burning a first just to have him for 1 more year, during a rebuilding season no less, and then the privilege of entering a contract negotiation with him past 2013.

Cromartie is a FA after 2014 and will then be 30 years old. Turning down a 1st (assuming we could get it) is the same as trading a 1st to acquire him for 2 more years. That may make sense for a contender, but not for a rebuilding team already undergoing a gutting of half their starters.

By the time we're contenders again, Cromartie would be a 30 year old FA and Revis' cap number would be hovering around $19M for us.

Now I've created a hole at CB for the next couple of seasons (two if you count Wilson, but he'll just have to start again). But I've gained a 1st round pick plus a dirt-cheap starting QB who won't need a new mega contact for at least 2 more seasons until he shows something.

Wow. First off...awesome job of planning and explaining your ideal scenario. TLDR people are missing out on some good stuff here.

second: You are doing a Blow It Up and Kill It With Fire approach to the existing team. I don't think i'm quite there yet. It's a watered down league and re-building is generally a matter of three to five player changes in key spots (though QB is a big spot).

Third: I think Cro and Revis keep us relevent defensively..otherwise we are way too old and slow to get anything done on D. Get a first for one, hang on to the other and hope for the best

fourth: nice job outlining all the cuts. I immediately re-sign DeVito and Landry, though. The rest can flap in the wind until their prices come down.

Fifth: hang on to Homes, like you saud, but sign Braylon on the cheap as well. Holmes, Braylon, Kerley, Hill are a very solid receiving corps. Gates can hang around too unless we get a replacement in the mid-rounds of the draft.

You don't think we could get double for Revis what we get for Cro? I know we wont get 2 1st's for Revis - but we could get a 1st and a 3rd maybe. Or Cousins and a 2nd/4th. Snyder will pay Revis the 16 he wants so he can have the core to a defense. By trading Revis and keeping Cro we won't exhaust our backfield and I think we can get much more in trade for DR.

Cro is locked up for 2 years. Revis for one. Plus Cro would be cheaper to keep total for 3-4 years where Revis is a well known headache with money and holdouts and such. Plus Revis is coming off a serious knee injury.

Wow. First off...awesome job of planning and explaining your ideal scenario. TLDR people are missing out on some good stuff here.

second: You are doing a Blow It Up and Kill It With Fire approach to the existing team. I don't think i'm quite there yet. It's a watered down league and re-building is generally a matter of three to five player changes in key spots (though QB is a big spot).

Third: I think Cro and Revis keep us relevent defensively..otherwise we are way too old and slow to get anything done on D. Get a first for one, hang on to the other and hope for the best

fourth: nice job outlining all the cuts. I immediately re-sign DeVito and Landry, though. The rest can flap in the wind until their prices come down.

Fifth: hang on to Homes, like you saud, but sign Braylon on the cheap as well. Holmes, Braylon, Kerley, Hill are a very solid receiving corps. Gates can hang around too unless we get a replacement in the mid-rounds of the draft.

I had some position by position breakdowns but my post was long enough going back & cutting it off where I did.

I agree about the usual rebuild time for a team. But as it now stands we need to sign or re-sign some 12 starters plus a backup QB plus a kicker plus a punter. So i don't see this as a typical NFL rebuild.

Landry I'm wary of. I think we got lucky and should take the money and run on him. Different reason, but like Holmes he's a great acquisition for 1 year and a bad one to lock up for superdollars with $20M+ guaranteed. As a consolation prize we get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2014 for losing a UFA. (Same thing with any other FAs like Moore or DeVito). But I would bring back Bell for a low cost, low year deal like his present one -- if he'll have us.

1. Hire Polian, hope you get the good Polian since he's starting from scratch. Let him gut the roster and get a top-three pick in 2014, where he gets a quarterback. Make a show out of firing Tannenbaum, Rex, Bradway, etc.

2. The coach should also be a veteran hand. A post-Rex locker room is going to be a mess, so bringing in a guy with pre-formed credibility will be important. I think the only guy crazy enough to take this job is Gruden. As to whether Gruden could get this team to play for him, or if he'd be able to work for Polian, is a coin flip. Another possibility would be Polian talking Dungy away from NBC, where he looks miserable. Under no circumstances should they retain Westhoff, who is a back-biter.

3. Do the Revis trade, get back the 2014 cap space, a first and a third, and move on. Dump Tebow, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Brandon Moore, Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, Eric Smith, Ducasse, and Keller. Trumpet a new philosophy. Try to re-sign Landry and Harris, but don't get crazy on the numbers. Bring in the old veteran stopgap QB.

4. In the draft, trade down if possible.There isn't a ton of greatness at the top of this draft, anyway, so if someone wants your pick to get the DEs in this draft, take 2014 picks in return for your 2013s. Draft Tyler Eifert, draft a prospect at QB, load up on OL and LB.

5. Act with dignified derision anytime a reporter asks about the last four years. Make it clear that it was a blight on the blight-filled history of the Jets and will not be tolerated in the future. Give the impression that you're a first-class organization.

Ok so we get the new GM, and he want's to clear house, and that includes trading Revis like you suggest, and you want a guy who is willing to trade back to get more picks to help fill all the holes this team has, ok so here is me doing sort of what you would like to do, but I take it a few steps further (actually a million steps further lol).

1. Trading Revis, if I am going to trade Revis I am looking to really fleece someone here, so matching up desperation at the CB position, and a team that will more than likely stink next season, but doesn't have a top 10 pick this season, (I am assuming they win week 17) I find a partner with the Tennessee Titans, They get Revis, the Jets recieve the Titans 1st, and 2nd in 2013 draft, and Titans 1st in 2014.

2. Since we are blowing it up I also trade Cromartie, his value is never going to be higher than it is right now, I am not sure if you could get a late 1st for him, but I do think getting a 2nd is not out of the question, matching partners with CB need, and a team with a high pick I come across the Detroit Lions, they get Cromartie, the Jets recieve the Lions 2013 2nd round pick, projected as the 4th overall in the round as of today.

3. I cut bait with every dead weight contract, and every player I don't see having a future with the team, EVEYONE! Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Pace, Scott, Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, S Pouha, and B Moore, I take all the dead cap hits in 2013, and I also let EVERYONE walk who's contract has expired Greene, Keller, Landry, Bell, Thomas, Edwards, and DeVito among others I can't think of right now.

4. NFL Draft, So after the Revis, and Cromartie trades the Jets have 2 1st round picks (hopeful assumption the Jets lose this week, and a couple other teams win) pick #7-9, and pick #11-13 from the Revis trade with Tennessee, and 3 2nd round picks, #36 from Detroit for Cromartie, #40-42 Jets pick, and #43-45 Titans pick. This is where it gets interesting, so I will number each move as a step, but they are all part of my 4th move.

4a. Taking the assumption a 2nd QB will vault himself up the draft boards to be a top 5 pick with G Smith going #1, with the #7-9 pick the Jets trade back with the St. Louis Rams who are desperate for a franchise LT to protect Bradford, in return the Jets recieve both 1st round picks from the Rams the #17, and #25 picks in the draft.

4b. With the #11-13 pick from Tennessee for Revis the Jets again trade back with the Cincinnati Bengals, in return the Jets get the Bengals 1st, and their 2nd rounder from Oakland, picks #22-26, and #37.

4c. With the #17 pick the Jets again find a trading partner, but with a team who already made a 1st round selection, but want to move back in to get more help for what they think is their franchise QB, an unlikely trading partner, but both parties are going in different directions so rivalry gets tossed out the window, the Jets give the Miami Dolphins the #17 overall pick for the Dolphins 2 2nd rounders, picks #45, and #54.

4d. This still leaves the Jets with 2 1st round picks #22-26 from Cincy, and #25ish from St. Louis, just say they are back to back 25, and 26. Pick #25 again trade back, with whom you ask? The team from Arizona, or Jax who missed out on drafting a QB at the top of the draft, but really love another QB, and want to get back in to the 1st to make sure they get their man, I will use the Jaguars as the likely team, they would have had the 2nd overall pick, and couldn't pass on Jarvis Jones, in return the Jets fleece the Jags getting their 2013 2nd rounder #33, and their 2014 1st rounder.

4e. Pick #26 the last remaining 1st round pick the Jets hold, again trade back, this time with the Chiefs who want to get their new toy Geno Smith a nice shiny new WR, they lost D Bowe in FA, willingly I might add, in return the Jets get the Chiefs 2nd round pick #34, and swap 3rd rounders, Jets get pick #63, Chiefs get the Jets pick in the 3rd #75.

4f. Ok the crazyiest 1st round a NFL team has ever had has concluded, and the Jets came out with zero players, but now have 9 picks between #33, and #63, to be exact, picks 33, 34, 36, 37, 39, 44, 45, 54, and 63. Also in addition to this absurd amount of 2nd round picks, and the 1st overall pick in the 3rd round, the Jets will also have 3 1st round picks in 2014, Their own, the Titans from the Revis trade, and the Jaguars in the trade up. After all the Jets crazy ass moves, and fielding a 53 man roster that has no experience, the odds are the Jets will finish near the bottom of the league, hopefully if the plan works out the way the new GM hopes it is the 1st overall, and the Jaguars, and Titans won't be to far behind, 1 of the 2 teams probably the Jaguars will be finishing last in their division, and hopefully have the 2nd worst record in the league, and IF their is an Angel finally looking over the Jets shoulder for once the other team will be just as bad, and have the 3rd worst record, giving the Jets the 1st 3 picks in the 2014 draft, and say hello to Johnny Football, Jadevon Clowney, and Marquise Lee! Add those 3 with the 9 players the Jets end up drafting in the 2nd round in 2013, and the Jets are well on their way to being the future power house of the NFL.

5. Assemble a young roster that has enough young talent to be good in the future, but also inexperienced enough to not win more than 1, or 2 games to make sure the Jets get the 1st overall pick in the 2014 draft, I know I gave this step away in 4f, and use all the extra cap space, their should be a ton of it now, to go get the RIGHT veteran, locker room leader type FA's at any holes that are still left, or have a young inexperinced player who is not quite ready to start just yet.

Ok I am not going to be the next Jets GM so obviously this is all a very unrealistic pipe dream, but it was fun going on that journey, and playing fantasy GM with thought of trading Revis, and the thought of trading back to acquire more picks, sorry to waste your time if you actually read all of this.

Ok so we get the new GM, and he want's to clear house, and that includes trading Revis like you suggest, and you want a guy who is willing to trade back to get more picks to help fill all the holes this team has, ok so here is me doing sort of what you would like to do, but I take it a few steps further (actually a million steps further lol).

1. Trading Revis, if I am going to trade Revis I am looking to really fleece someone here, so matching up desperation at the CB position, and a team that will more than likely stink next season, but doesn't have a top 10 pick this season, (I am assuming they win week 17) I find a partner with the Tennessee Titans, They get Revis, the Jets recieve the Titans 1st, and 2nd in 2013 draft, and Titans 1st in 2014.

2. Since we are blowing it up I also trade Cromartie, his value is never going to be higher than it is right now, I am not sure if you could get a late 1st for him, but I do think getting a 2nd is not out of the question, matching partners with CB need, and a team with a high pick I come across the Detroit Lions, they get Cromartie, the Jets recieve the Lions 2013 2nd round pick, projected as the 4th overall in the round as of today.

3. I cut bait with every dead weight contract, and every player I don't see having a future with the team, EVEYONE! Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Pace, Scott, Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, S Pouha, and B Moore, I take all the dead cap hits in 2013, and I also let EVERYONE walk who's contract has expired Greene, Keller, Landry, Bell, Thomas, Edwards, and DeVito among others I can't think of right now.

4. NFL Draft, So after the Revis, and Cromartie trades the Jets have 2 1st round picks (hopeful assumption the Jets lose this week, and a couple other teams win) pick #7-9, and pick #11-13 from the Revis trade with Tennessee, and 3 2nd round picks, #36 from Detroit for Cromartie, #40-42 Jets pick, and #43-45 Titans pick. This is where it gets interesting, so I will number each move as a step, but they are all part of my 4th move.

4a. Taking the assumption a 2nd QB will vault himself up the draft boards to be a top 5 pick with G Smith going #1, with the #7-9 pick the Jets trade back with the St. Louis Rams who are desperate for a franchise LT to protect Bradford, in return the Jets recieve both 1st round picks from the Rams the #17, and #25 picks in the draft.

4b. With the #11-13 pick from Tennessee for Revis the Jets again trade back with the Cincinnati Bengals, in return the Jets get the Bengals 1st, and their 2nd rounder from Oakland, picks #22-26, and #37.

4c. With the #17 pick the Jets again find a trading partner, but with a team who already made a 1st round selection, but want to move back in to get more help for what they think is their franchise QB, an unlikely trading partner, but both parties are going in different directions so rivalry gets tossed out the window, the Jets give the Miami Dolphins the #17 overall pick for the Dolphins 2 2nd rounders, picks #45, and #54.

4d. This still leaves the Jets with 2 1st round picks #22-26 from Cincy, and #25ish from St. Louis, just say they are back to back 25, and 26. Pick #25 again trade back, with whom you ask? The team from Arizona, or Jax who missed out on drafting a QB at the top of the draft, but really love another QB, and want to get back in to the 1st to make sure they get their man, I will use the Jaguars as the likely team, they would have had the 2nd overall pick, and couldn't pass on Jarvis Jones, in return the Jets fleece the Jags getting their 2013 2nd rounder #33, and their 2014 1st rounder.

4e. Pick #26 the last remaining 1st round pick the Jets hold, again trade back, this time with the Chiefs who want to get their new toy Geno Smith a nice shiny new WR, they lost D Bowe in FA, willingly I might add, in return the Jets get the Chiefs 2nd round pick #34, and swap 3rd rounders, Jets get pick #63, Chiefs get the Jets pick in the 3rd #75.

4f. Ok the crazyiest 1st round a NFL team has ever had has concluded, and the Jets came out with zero players, but now have 9 picks between #33, and #63, to be exact, picks 33, 34, 36, 37, 39, 44, 45, 54, and 63. Also in addition to this absurd amount of 2nd round picks, and the 1st overall pick in the 3rd round, the Jets will also have 3 1st round picks in 2014, Their own, the Titans from the Revis trade, and the Jaguars in the trade up. After all the Jets crazy ass moves, and fielding a 53 man roster that has no experience, the odds are the Jets will finish near the bottom of the league, hopefully if the plan works out the way the new GM hopes it is the 1st overall, and the Jaguars, and Titans won't be to far behind, 1 of the 2 teams probably the Jaguars will be finishing last in their division, and hopefully have the 2nd worst record in the league, and IF their is an Angel finally looking over the Jets shoulder for once the other team will be just as bad, and have the 3rd worst record, giving the Jets the 1st 3 picks in the 2014 draft, and say hello to Johnny Football, Jadevon Clowney, and Marquise Lee! Add those 3 with the 9 players the Jets end up drafting in the 2nd round in 2013, and the Jets are well on their way to being the future power house of the NFL.

5. Assemble a young roster that has enough young talent to be good in the future, but also inexperienced enough to not win more than 1, or 2 games to make sure the Jets get the 1st overall pick in the 2014 draft, I know I gave this step away in 4f, and use all the extra cap space, their should be a ton of it now, to go get the RIGHT veteran, locker room leader type FA's at any holes that are still left, or have a young inexperinced player who is not quite ready to start just yet.

Ok I am not going to be the next Jets GM so obviously this is all a very unrealistic pipe dream, but it was fun going on that journey, and playing fantasy GM with thought of trading Revis, and the thought of trading back to acquire more picks, sorry to waste your time if you actually read all of this.

I wish that could work. But don't see how any CB gets you nearly that much. It will be a #1 and that's it.

Archived