QB dept. : jets starting QB in 2013 is... ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not an expert at sorting out trades and i do not know the contract situation of Matt Flynn.

But can we do a Matt Flynn for Santonio Holmes trade. Seahawks might want more weapons on offense for Wilson and we NEED a QB.

holmes for flynn ? ?...cool ~ ~

:cheer:

To me the best option is to spend on other players. Sanchez is what he is and his contract is what it is, if Marty is any good, maybe he can get more out of him. Remember Alex Smith sucked and Harbaugh wound up in the NFC championship game with him. And they still found Kapernick. I'd rather the Jets find some young QB in the draft, find other position players in the draft and free agency, and develop the new young QB. If Sanchez starts and sucks or Greg starts and sucks, oh well.

I really don't see a point in wasting more money on a QB like Flynn who is way overpriced for what he is, and/or a Matt Moore who might be cheaper, but how much cheaper for a guy who really isn't good enough to be an NFL Backup.

The reality is they need to find a QB in the draft who might become good enough to lead a team. This pipe dream of "waiting till next year to find a franchise QB' is what most teams, including the Jets, have dreamed about since the beginning of time.

I think the Jets will try everything possible to move Sanchez off the roster. I think they'll be willing to eat 80-90% of his contract if it means getting a late pick back and Sanchez removed from the team. The Jets do and should care what the fans think, and the fans are done with Mark Sanchez.

If their choice is to cut him or keep him, they'll probably keep him, though. In that case, you hope Mornhinwig can do something with him, but you can't bank on that. My personal opinion is that Sanchez might eventually be salvaged, but his confidence is shot right now, and the fans here will not give him a chance to get it back. I don't know what his teammates think of him, either, but they seemed to be energized when Sanchez was sat down. I just think getting something out of him here is a serious long shot.

And finding a QB who can start as a rookie in the second or third round is another long shot. But this is the problem the Jets face this year, the draft is QB weak and so is the FA market. I think in this situation, you need to take a multi-pronged approach. So you grab the inexpensive vet -be it Moore, Campbell, Wallace, some CFL or arena guy, whatever- and you have QB as a focus of your draft, hoping to take one in the second or third that can surprise. Thing is, you don't want to force that QB pick, either, because you have a bunch of other needs, too. Draft has to be BAP straight down the line. If you've got a QB close to the top of your board in any given round, take him, but don't pass up prospects you have as clearly better than that prospect for the QB. When you get to the fifth or sixth round, and still haven't taken a QB, then you just grab the best one left.

I am not an expert at sorting out trades and i do not know the contract situation of Matt Flynn.

But can we do a Matt Flynn for Santonio Holmes trade. Seahawks might want more weapons on offense for Wilson and we NEED a QB.

They have Lynch, Rice, Baldwin, Tate and Zach Miller. They like Turbin a lot too. Why would they add a malcontent wide receiver coming off an injury with a terrible contract to an already solid group?

Also, the Jets could have signed Matt Flynn last offseason. They didn't. There is a reason why. He's not an improvement over the current QBs.

They have Lynch, Rice, Baldwin, Tate and Zach Miller. They like Turbin a lot too. Why would they add a malcontent wide receiver coming off an injury with a terrible contract to an already solid group?

Also, the Jets could have signed Matt Flynn last offseason. They didn't. There is a reason why. He's not an improvement over the current QBs.

" .... He's not an improvement over the current QBs. "

~ ~ imho , he is " a little " improvement over the qb's on our present roster. :frown:

" .... He's not an improvement over the current QBs. "

~ ~ imho , he is " a little " improvement over the qb's on our present roster. :frown:

Not enough to trade for/assume that contract. If he gets released and is looking for an incentive laden deal, then maybe the Jets bite and offer an open competition.

Jets' Mark Sanchez faces uncertain future with many new faces in franchise

Before Rex Ryan sat and watched the Jets introduce John Idzik as the new general manager, marking a new era for the organization, the head coach ran into a fellow holdover from the era just past. In the hallways of the team facility in Florham Park, Ryan bumped into Mark Sanchez, the erstwhile franchise quarterback.They exchanged greetings and Ryan said that he will find time to talk with Sanchez while the quarterback is in town.What Ryan can tell Sanchez at this point about his future is unknown. Idzik said Thursday that he still needs to outline a plan for the roster, which will come after a thorough evaluation period.

The GM would not comment on the quarterback, noting that he had only just been shown his new office by Ryan, so it would be premature to offer an opinion at so early a stage.While Idzik did say that Sanchez has accomplished "some nice things" with the Jets, it’s obvious that change is afoot. After a disastrous, turnover-prone season followed by the firing of offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh, Ryan brought in Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee to fill their positions. Idzik made it clear the roster would be heavy on internal competition, a mantra carried over from Seattle. There, Russell Wilson, an undersized third-round pick, overtook Matt Flynn, a pricey free agent signing, during training camp to become the Seahawks’ starting quarterback. With all that in mind, Ryan insisted that a new beginning would serve Sanchez well.

Already, Sanchez has reached out to retired four-time Pro Bowl QB Jeff Garcia for help learning Mornhinweg’s iteration of the West Coast offense. Set to work with his third offensive coordinator in three years, it’s what Ryan described as Sanchez trying to get "a head start." Last offseason Sanchez did the same with Chad Pennington to learn Sparano’s system. "He’s gotta be popping out of his skin, I think as any QB would," Ryan said. "You have a combination like Marty Mornhinweg and David Lee as coaches, that’s a heckuva start. I believe Mark needs to erase his hard drive. I think it’s new, he’s gotta be excited about it, and the fact that he’s reaching out to Jeff Garcia to get an idea about (Mornhinweg’s offense) tells you how much he wants to (succeed)."

Garcia believes that Sanchez reaching out means he’s cognizant that he will have to go through "a new learning curve" this offseason, his first facing uncertainty about his future. Last season he saw Sanchez as sometimes looking "timid" in his decision-making, on the way to 18 interceptions and just 13 touchdown passes."He should be challenged," Garcia said Thursday on WFAN. "He should be forced to bring the best out of himself. He should never feel content that that’s his position. ... The best players should play and that’s why I think competition brings out the best in people."Along with helping him learn the offense Mornhinweg will run, Garcia thinks he is equipped to help Sanchez because, unlike the Jets quarterback, he didn’t have an easy road to NFL success.

Unlike Sanchez, who was the fifth overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, Garcia went undrafted and spent the first five years of his professional career in the Canadian Football League."All the stats are there (for me) but the fact that it was never handed to me. ... I fought, I scratched my way into it, I maintained it," Garcia said."Mark has been that guy. He’s been a top round draft pick, he came out of USC where he was put on a pedestal. ... A lot of things have been put into his lap. ... He’s kind of hit that wall."

Mike Vorkunov: mvorkunov@starledger.com; twitter.com/Mike_Vorkunov

> http://www.nj.com/je...ces_uncert.html

Jets GM 'comfortable' with Mark Sanchez

Jets general manager John Idzik said something Monday on WFAN radio that could make some New York fans nervous.

nyj.gif"I feel comfortable with Mark [sanchez] being a Jet," Idzik said, according to ESPNNewYork.com.But the new Jets boss properly hedged his bets with his next statement."I told him we're going to add competition and everyone should be up for it," Idzik added. "It's going to make Mark, and everybody else, better." Idzik properly addressed New York's quarterback situation as it currently stands.

New York will search for the best quarterback possible to improve the position. But Idzik has a tight salary cap this offseason and it will be a challenge to find attractive options. If a suitable replacement cannot be found, Idzik says the Jets feel "comfortable" going with Sanchez for one more year because they would have no choice.Money obviously plays a factor. The Jets owe Sanchez $8.25 million in guaranteed salary in 2013. Cutting Sanchez would be even more detrimental with more than twice the cap hit.

Seahawks backup Matt Flynn has been mentioned as a trade possibility due to Idzik's ties in Seattle. A top rookie draft pick also is a possibility to add competition. But it appears to be a sure thing that Sanchez remains on the Jets' roster next season. It is Sanchez's role as a starter or backup that is still to be determined.

> http://espn.go.com/b...th-mark-sanchez

Idzik still hedges on Revis, not Sanchez

New Jets GM John Idzik said Monday morning he was "taken aback" by the Darrelle Revis trade-talk firestorm last week because he hadn't conducted any internal discussions on the Jets' roster -- and still hasn't -- but he apparently doesn't need those conversations to confirm Mark Sanchez's place on the team.

Go ahead, read between the lines.

Idzik, appearing on WFAN radio, was asked if he feels "comfortable" with Sanchez as the quarterback. He replied, "I feel comfortable with Mark being a Jet. I told him we're going to add competition and everyone should be up for it. It's going to make Mark, and everybody else, better." Idzik said he has spoken to Sanchez, and he said the embattled quarterback is "champing at the bit. He wants to get going with his new coordinator. He's all about competing. I got a really good feeling from Mark." Sanchez has a $12.8 million cap charge and a contract that is almost immovable, so it's not exactly breaking news that Idzik would confirm his place on the roster. Yet when asked about Revis, the best player on the team and one of the best in the league, Idzik fell back on the company line -- still too early to evaluate. He said he still hasn't had any in-depth discussions about the roster.

Idzik said he was surprised by the reports, which broke on the eve of his introductory news conference last Thursday, that the Jets are open to trading Revis."I called Darrelle just to make sure he knew exactly what was going on from our end," Idzik said. "It was good to talk to him. I thought it was well-received."

Idzik touched on a few other topics in the interview.On the salary-cap problem (almost $20 million over the cap), he said, "It's definitely a huge item, right at the forefront, but it's nothing we can't manage." Idzik hinted he could take a revolving-door approach to the roster. He mentioned his former team, the Seahawks, noting that in Pete Carroll's first season (2010), "I'd be willing to bet we set the record for NFL transactions in a year. We were massaging that roster pretty good the entire year." He said competition will be an ongoing theme.Idzik said Rex Ryan has "extraordinary traits" and, when pressed, he said he would've had no problem hiring Ryan if the head-coaching position had been vacant. "Yeah, absolutely, you'd want a guy like Rex." He said he was "comfortable" with Ryan's choice of Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, adding that he has "trust in Rex" and talked with him throughout the selection process.

> http://espn.go.com/b...vis-not-sanchez

who I would like to see starting week one: Matt Flynn, Michael Vick

wouldn't mind seeing starting week one: Alex Smith, Geno Smith

would be a little pissed to see starting week one: Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Matt Moore, Greg McElroy

would probably never watch a Jets game all year if starting week one: Fatass Russell, Matt Barkley

who will probably be starting week one regardless of what this board thinks because our organization stinks: Mark Sanchez

*edited to try to be more accurate

who I would like to see starting week one: Matt Flynn, Michael Vick

wouldn't mind seeing starting week one: Alex Smith, Geno Smith

would be a little pissed to see starting week one: Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Matt Moore, Greg McElroy

would probably never watch a Jets game all year if starting week one: Fatass Russell, Matt Barkley

who will probably be starting week one regardless of what this board thinks because our organization stinks: Mark Sanchez

*edited to try to be more accurate

Honestly if it's Sanchez or any of these other also rans, might as well stick with Sanchez since he's going to be on the team anyway.

I mean since when did Matt Flynn and Seattle become known as QB gurus? We are talking about the same squad that thought Charlie Whitehurst was their future QB. So they signed Flynn to a big contract after one meaningless game. And then the guy never even played. People rip the Jets for bringing in Tebow. Tebow has had a better football career than Flynn. It's just odd to hear people suddenly think Flynn as some savior. Wilson made Seattle look smart. But he was a 3rd rounder that just turned out to be good. What will happen next season? Who knows. But Flynn will cost money, Sanchez will still be on the Jets, and who knows what Flynn will or will not do. At this point he's a career backup who had one good game.

If there was a QB worthy of being picked at #9, I really don't think they'd hesitate.

If there was a QB worthy of #9 they would be trading up to make sure they didn't miss out.

This is the guy I mentioned in the Glennon thread. Seems like a worthy project that might be around later. My judgment was based strictly on what I read. Looking at him, I don't see the cannon I had hoped for. He seems to kind of shovel the ball out there. At least he is a big guy with an NFL arm who might still be around in the 3rd or later.

If there was a QB worthy of #9 they would be trading up to make sure they didn't miss out.

This is the guy I mentioned in the Glennon thread. Seems like a worthy project that might be around later. My judgment was based strictly on what I read. Looking at him, I don't see the cannon I had hoped for. He seems to kind of shovel the ball out there. At least he is a big guy with an NFL arm who might still be around in the 3rd or later.

I wasn't a fan of how he threw the ball either. Lot of throwaways. Using my completely imaginary system I would draft him no higher than the 4th. I almost want the next QB of the Jets to be from the 7th round so we could hear about how this guy put on his boots, grabbed his lunch pail, and went off to outwork everyone all day err day early. .Bigger than Lin!

The 2012 season came to an end Sunday night with Super Bowl XLVII, so we turn our attention to 2013 with a nine-part analysis of the Jets -- a position-by-position breakdown as we head toward the scouting combine and free agency:

ny_u_marksts_200.jpg

Are you ready for another season of Mark Sanchez ?

QUARTERBACK

2012 depth chart: Mark Sanchez (starter), Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy.

Overview : The season was, in a word, terrible. Sanchez committed 26 turnovers, lost his job, regained it because of a McElroy concussion and finished with another poor performance. Tebow never got a chance, in part, because he clashed with coordinator Tony Sparano, who either didn't know how to use him or didn't want to use him. It truly was a three-quarterback circus, mismanaged by Rex Ryan, who nearly paid with his job.

Free agents : None.

2013 personnel preview : The position will have a different look. The plan is to find a short-term fix while developing someone for the future. Tebow wants out, and he'll get his wish. It'll be an open competition in training camp, with Sanchez battling the most competent, cost-effective veteran they can find. The options include Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Flynn, Matt Moore and, perhaps, Alex Smith, although he probably will be too rich for the Jets' blood.If new GM John Idzik picks a quarterback on the second day of the draft, it could be curtains for McElroy. Idzik's ultimate wish, of course, is to strike gold with another Russell Wilson.

Salary-cap situation : Sanchez has a $12.8 million cap charge, and they can't unload him because of an $8.25 million guarantee. Basically, they're stuck in a stale marriage, hoping new OC Marty Mornhinweg can work a miracle with the former franchise-type QB. Sanchez's cap number is so high it will prevent them from acquiring an expensive alternative -- not that there are any surefire solutions out there.

> http://espn.go.com/b...s-quarterback-2

It is my belief that the starting quarterback of the 2013 Jets on opening day will be Mark Sanchez.

The team will certainly bring in competition, but the quality of said competition will be low to moderate, and Sanchez will defeat them (even if only in Rex's eyes) in Camp and preseason.

Sanchez will start. Sanchez will in all likelyhood fail. Sanchez and Rex will thus be fired at years end.

And the real next era of the New York Jets will begin in 2014.

Matt Moore. They will bring in Moore and he will blow the doors off the Fraudchize. Then Fraudchize will cry and complain. Moore will be the stop gap till we get a good drafted player in the 2014 draft. The Jets may also draft a QB. McElroy will be gone.

Jets wrong to drag out Tebow-mania

nyj.gifEven the new regime with the New York Jets dreams about a Tim Tebow trade that probably won’t happen.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Jets general manager John Idzik will hold onto Tebow until at least mid-March to see if he can get value in return for the popular backup quarterback.

But here's the harsh truth the Jets refuse to accept: Tebow has little or no trade value.

Tebow is a struggling backup quarterback who can’t throw with accuracy and comes with an immense following. That, as the Jets found out in 2012, has the potential to be a huge distraction. The AFC East blog recently explored position changes for Tebow, which is the best chance to prolong his NFL career.Why the Jets would extend Tebow-mania in New York is baffling. This experiment was a disaster from the start and it’s time to let it go. The best the Jets can probably get is a seventh-round pick. Is that worth another month or so of Tebow questions, Tebow distractions and Tebow headlines for New York during the offseason?

The smart thing for the Jets to do is release Tebow and get it over with. This was a huge mistake by former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Yet, Idzik wants to keep this problem around longer than necessary.Idzik has a solid NFL pedigree. But some of his preliminary decisions have been questionable. So far, Idzik upset his best player (Darrelle Revis) by refusing to deny trade rumors, says he’s “comfortable” with embattled quarterback Mark Sanchez, and is holding out hope to swindle another team for a Tebow trade.

The Jets have a lot of cleaning up to do this offseason, and this is not a good start.

> http://espn.go.com/b...-out-tebowmania

~ ~ 1. All about the quarterbacks :

Unlike the Jets, who have coached around Mark Sanchez for the better part of four years, the Ravens and 49ers made Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick the focal point of their respective offenses. They weren't game managers, they were game changers -- Flacco with his pocket passing, Kaepernick with his dual-threat skills. Kaepernick began the day with only nine career starts, but he certainly wasn't babied by coach Jim Harbaugh. On championship teams, the quarterback is the catalyst, not a complementary player. If the Jets don't feel that way about Sanchez, they need to find a new QB -- and they might.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/b...away-from-sb-47

Jets QB possibilities, minus Vick

Michael Vick was never seriously in the mix to come to the Jets, and now that he has signed a one-year extension with the Eagles and new coach Chip Kelly, the hopes that Vick would challenge or overtake Mark Sanchez for the Jets starting job have vanished.Still, someone will challenge Sanchez. New Jets general manager John Idzik is set on a quarterback competition with Sanchez, who underperformed in 2012 but will still be part of the Jets' future with an immovable $8.25 million guaranteed coming his way in 2013.

Here is a look at some of the quarterbacks still on the market :

Matt Flynn -- The Seahawks backup lost the starting job to Russell Wilson

last year, but that is hardly a blemish on his résumé after Wilson's

breakthrough season. Idzik, fresh out of Seattle, knows the bigger issue

is Flynn’s salary. With Wilson signed to a rookie deal, the Seahawks

may be willing to carry the $7.5 million Flynn is due. The Jets would

probably not be able to afford both Flynn and Sanchez, and Sanchez isn’t

going anywhere.

Tarvaris Jackson

-- Jackson is a free agent and the price could be right, given that the

Bills paid him just under $2 million last season. The market for

experienced quarterbacks with starting potential might be crowded this

season, however, inflating Jackson’s value.

Alex Smith

-- Everyone knows about Smith’s situation this year with the 49ers. He

was playing the best football of his career before self-reporting a

concussion. Coach Jim Harbaugh passed the job to Colin Kaepernick

and never looked back, as the team made it all the way to the Super

Bowl. Smith is clearly starter-caliber, but he is another expensive

player. Smith signed a three-year deal at $8 million per year at the

start of last season.

Matt Moore -- The Dolphins backup got bested during last year's "Hard Knocks" training camp by David Garrard and rookie Ryan Tannehill.

Now Moore is a free agent. After performing well during his two-year,

$5 million stint in Miami, Moore could be worth more than that going

forward. With a tight market and now Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III-types in this year's draft, Moore might find he has several teams to choose from.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20729/jets-qb-possibilities-minus-vick

Jets QB possibilities, minus Vick

Michael Vick was never seriously in the mix to come to the Jets, and now that he has signed a one-year extension with the Eagles and new coach Chip Kelly, the hopes that Vick would challenge or overtake Mark Sanchez for the Jets starting job have vanished.Still, someone will challenge Sanchez. New Jets general manager John Idzik is set on a quarterback competition with Sanchez, who underperformed in 2012 but will still be part of the Jets' future with an immovable $8.25 million guaranteed coming his way in 2013.

Here is a look at some of the quarterbacks still on the market :

Matt Flynn -- The Seahawks backup lost the starting job to Russell Wilson

last year, but that is hardly a blemish on his résumé after Wilson's

breakthrough season. Idzik, fresh out of Seattle, knows the bigger issue

is Flynn’s salary. With Wilson signed to a rookie deal, the Seahawks

may be willing to carry the $7.5 million Flynn is due. The Jets would

probably not be able to afford both Flynn and Sanchez, and Sanchez isn’t

going anywhere.

Tarvaris Jackson

-- Jackson is a free agent and the price could be right, given that the

Bills paid him just under $2 million last season. The market for

experienced quarterbacks with starting potential might be crowded this

season, however, inflating Jackson’s value.

Alex Smith

and never looked back, as the team made it all the way to the Super

Bowl. Smith is clearly starter-caliber, but he is another expensive

player. Smith signed a three-year deal at $8 million per year at the

start of last season.

Matt Moore -- The Dolphins backup got bested during last year's "Hard Knocks" training camp by David Garrard and rookie Ryan Tannehill.

Now Moore is a free agent. After performing well during his two-year,

$5 million stint in Miami, Moore could be worth more than that going

forward. With a tight market and now Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III-types in this year's draft, Moore might find he has several teams to choose from.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20729/jets-qb-possibilities-minus-vick

The only ones on this list I am even slightly interested in is Flynn, and Moore.

If Idzik likes him, he is worth the cap hit.  If he doesn’t work out he can be released in 2014 with no cap damage.  Could have a fairly high ceiling, or could be gone.

Moore is a true “hold the fort guy”  very little upside, but more then likely won’t embarrass himself.

Personally, I role the dice on Flynn, and take E J Manuel in the  3rd

The only ones on this list I am even slightly interested in is Flynn, and Moore.

If Idzik likes him, he is worth the cap hit.  If he doesn’t work out he can be released in 2014 with no cap damage.  Could have a fairly high ceiling, or could be gone.

Moore is a true “hold the fort guy”  very little upside, but more then likely won’t embarrass himself.

Personally, I role the dice on Flynn, and take E J Manuel in the  3rd

Moore is someone I would be happy with, he wouldn't be expensive.  Stop gap kind of guy.  I hate the thought of rushing in to another long term QB solution and getting it wrong.

Alex Smith

and never looked back

I like how the press was complaining about the Jets players - Gates and a couple of others not coming forward about McElroy's concussion symptoms, but they have to balls to publish "self-reporting" as if that makes it less of a concussion.  If I'm not mistaken, ESPNewYork was one of the ones whining.

And what are you guys going to do with the QB's already on your roster? Sanchez has a little value, but Tebow has nuthin' IMO. The Jets have a lot of coin wrapped up at that position.

~ ~ all true :frown:

mark will be on our roster for at least one more season.

we'll probably end up releasing tebow.

jax will then sign him on the cheap...to sell some tickets to their games.

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Archived