Joel Hanrahan dealt to Red Sox

PFSIKH

I think Melancon will surprise you in Pittsburgh. He pitched very well in September but by then Bobby only used him in mop up situations.

Everyone looks good in the NL. AJ looked productive. ;)

I think Melancon will surprise you in Pittsburgh. He pitched very well in September but by then Bobby only used him in mop up situations.

if i were a Pirate fan (we have one on here...can't remember who though) I'd be glad my team at least is competitive in adding arms like Liriano but they should NOT have traded their closer. Kick in the balls to the fans type of move.

if i were a Pirate fan (we have one on here...can't remember who though) I'd be glad my team at least is competitive in adding arms like Liriano but they should NOT have traded their closer. Kick in the balls to the fans type of move.

Yeah. Way to get Melancon who has closed before and is under team control for a few years and some decent prospects who are under team control for a guy who would be a free agent and leave next season anyway. Jerks.

Yeah. Way to get Melancon who has closed before and is under team control for a few years and some decent prospects who are under team control for a guy who would be a free agent and leave next season anyway. Jerks.

You know how I feel about Melancon. dude is hot garbage and I do not consider that a fair trade if i'm the Pirates GM

And you can wait until the trade deadline to deal Hanrahan for probably better from a team that really wants to make the playoffs who has a bad closer.

But yes, you were right in calling them jerks :D

Yeah the Bucs have done just that for years. It's always about $$ with that small market team. I work with 3 Pirate fans and they are NOT happy about this trade. It's got to be real tough to be a Pirate fan. Just getting to .500 is a big deal for them.

You know how I feel about Melancon. dude is hot garbage and I do not consider that a fair trade if i'm the Pirates GM

And you can wait until the trade deadline to deal Hanrahan for probably better from a team that really wants to make the playoffs who has a bad closer.

But yes, you were right in calling them jerks :biggrin:

Sands is a decent prospect. I can see him starting in Pittsburgh.

Like it or not, any smart Pirate fan knew this was coming a long time ago. Small market teams can't afford to pay their closers $7 million.

Then why is a team like KC picking up arms left and right? Or Toronto going on a spending spree? That is a serious question.

I know MLB has a new TV deal that will kick in 2014 I believe. Maybe the Royals and Jays are spending on future earning, which is a nice change.

The Pirates have a new stadium and a halfway decent team. Spend a couple of bucks to win 3 more games.

Then why is a team like KC picking up arms left and right? Or Toronto going on a spending spree? That is a serious question.

I know MLB has a new TV deal that will kick in 2014 I believe. Maybe the Royals and Jays are spending on future earning, which is a nice change.

The Pirates have a new stadium and a halfway decent team. Spend a couple of bucks to win 3 more games.

Because KC is dumb. Remember when they signed Reggie Sanders to a megadeal? Yeah.

Toronto isn't a small market. And using KC as an example only proves my point. They aren't doing anything the Pirates aren't/haven't. They aren't paying any bullpen arms $7 million. If they had spent $7 million on a closer, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay all those starting pitchers. Just like if the Pirates had spent $7 million on Hanrahan, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay Martin and Liriano. Who is KC's highest paid relief pitcher?

Toronto isn't a small market. And using KC as an example only proves my point. They aren't doing anything the Pirates aren't/haven't. They aren't paying any bullpen arms $7 million. If they had spent $7 million on a closer, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay all those starting pitchers. Just like if the Pirates had spent $7 million on Hanrahan, they wouldn't have been able to afford to overpay Martin and Liriano. Who is KC's highest paid relief pitcher?

The Jays might not be a small market, but they are not a large market like Boston, NY, and Chicago.

What exactly would you the Jays are doing? Buying arms and hoping their closer continues his resurgence.

Archived