Gutty Ryan would welcome firing if "Woody" doesn't fix offense. (From the YeahOKGuy Dept.)

T0mShane

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All they need is a franchise level QB and they're back in it. Think the Redskins regret trading for RGIII?

They're on the brink of the playoffs with no semblance of a defense and one weapon in the passing game (Garcon, who's been hurt most of the year).

Why RG3 isn't even in the MVP discussion is mind-boggling. He belongs right there with Peyton and AP.

Easier said than done. What Franchise QB is out there via the draft or Free Agency? The answer is probably none.

Granted, there's no sure bet out there like a Luck or RG3 this year. But few thought Russell Wilson would be the goods and he is. There's like 75 QB's in this draft. Surely one of them will outpace their draft spot. They can't ALL suck. Why can't we find our own Wilson or Colin Kaepernick?

Every NFL team ought to stockpile QB's in the draft just in case. Everyone ripped the Skins for taking Cousins a few rounds after RG3. Now, with the shortage of legit QB's in the league, they might be able to get a 2nd rounder and more for him.

God help us if Ryan Mallet turns out to be the goods in New England.

They're on the brink of the playoffs with no semblance of a defense and one weapon in the passing game (Garcon, who's been hurt most of the year).

Why RG3 isn't even in the MVP discussion is mind-boggling. He belongs right there with Peyton and AP.

I think the Redskins success has to do more with Alfred Morris than RGIII. That dude has been rock solid all season long. I'd say he has been more vital to their success than RGIII. Kirk Cousins did just fine in the game against the Eagles. Why? Alfred Morris.

Granted, there's no sure bet out there like a Luck or RG3 this year. But few thought Russell Wilson would be the goods and he is. There's like 75 QB's in this draft. Surely one of them will outpace their draft spot. They can't ALL suck. Why can't we find our own Wilson or Colin Kaepernick?

Every NFL team ought to stockpile QB's in the draft just in case. Everyone ripped the Skins for taking Cousins a few rounds after RG3. Now, with the shortage of legit QB's in the league, they might be able to get a 2nd rounder and more for him.

God help us if Ryan Mallet turns out to be the goods in New England.

Even if we draft a QB this year, do you want this regime with these coaches handling that kid? They have no idea how to develop a QB at all.

I think the Redskins success has to do more with Alfred Morris than RGIII. That dude has been rock solid all season long. I'd say he has been more vital to their success than RGIII. Kirk Cousins did just fine in the game against the Eagles. Why? Alfred Morris.

Running QB's tend to help open running lanes too, don't forget. LeSean McCoy had a lot of success when Vick was on the top of his game.

Also, Shannahan is a master of the running game; and offenses in general for that matter. That doesn't hurt. Morris is indeed solid, and the fact that he didn't juggle RB's at all showed he had a ton of confidence in the kid. But he wasn't the only reason that offense had success.

Even if we draft a QB this year, do you want this regime with these coaches handling that kid? They have no idea how to develop a QB at all.

Which is why I've been pushing for a new GM for a while now. New regimes mean new QB's. Maybe Rex will be here and maybe not. But I imagine the GM will hire his people and have the final say on who the QB is and who develops him.

Unless Woody hires himself another puppet, in which case we'll be having this same discussion for years.

Running QB's tend to help open running lanes too, don't forget. LeSean McCoy had a lot of success when Vick was on the top of his game.

Also, Shannahan is a master of the running game; and offenses in general for that matter. That doesn't hurt. Morris is indeed solid, and the fact that he didn't juggle RB's at all showed he had a ton of confidence in the kid. But he wasn't the only reason that offense had success.

Shanahan has been here for 3 years and his rush offense has been 30th, 25th and now 1st.

Shanahan has been here for 3 years and his rush offense has been 30th, 25th and now 1st.

I see progress there. LOL.

Certainly Shannahan's ability to run an offense overall can't be questioned. Before RG3 arrived, if you combined the stats of Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck over the previous two years and made them one quarterback, that QB would have averaged 3,843 passing yards and 20 touchdowns.

Possible. I think the line about working in TV signals his understanding that the offensive incompetence and the yapping and the foot thing will make it tough to get another head gig. His first priority is to save his job here, and the easiest way to do that is to make himself the martyr and Tannenbaum the scapegoat.

Ehhhhh, I think the most direct line for Ryan to keep his career afloat is to jump ship now and avoid being burned at the stake by the new GM in a year's time. This team is hopeless next season unless Drew Brees decides to take the vet minimum to play here. Sure, shedding Tannenbaum might help Rex, but Tannenbaum is likely the only GM interested in keeping Rex on as the Jets head coach moving forward. Casserly may have implied he'd keep Rex on if he's hired as the GM, but would anyone else want all that baggage?

Even if this is the case, that doesn't make RG3 any less of a franchise QB. Franchise QB's give you hope. And lots of home playoff games.

I agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that no one is saving the Jets because the organization is the problem. With the redskins a 9-7 season is an im

Even if this is the case, that doesn't make RG3 any less of a franchise QB. Franchise QB's give you hope. And lots of home playoff games.

I agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that no one is saving the Jets because the organization is the problem. With the redskins a 9-7 season is an improvement but with the Jets it will take much more than that.

41 year old jet fan here,.Richard Todd finding Bill Simpson of the bills wide open in the end zone to end our wild card game when I was 10 should've clued me in on what was to come. Been reading jet nation for about 5 years now but never posted, had to sign up for this one it's too infuriating too pass up. What Rex has done by leaking this is cowardly and disgraceful, wow,.he's coming out and throwing tannenbaum under the bus in an effort to save his own sorry hide before black Monday. Meanwhile he has bragged in the past about having picked all of these players...didn't this clown say he was against drafting a wide receiver in the 2 nd round? Don't get me wrong tannenbaum needs to go Monday also but I stress ALSO,.Rex trying to distance himself from tanny now is a typical coward move from this bully clown.Rex your the HEAD coach you clown, so it's not your reposnsibilty at all to develop an offense? Not at all? So if the owner and the GM magically get you a big time offense then you'll win games? Oh ok thanks..one last thing,..it's apparent now that our HEAD COACH is manish's anonymous source,.that alone should get him fired Monday. Great site max..thanks.

Welcome to JN. Nice perspective...couldn't agree more. Rex is Manish's source...has been from the gitgo...trying to set up his next job.

Welcome to JN Jolot. If it truly plays out that Rex is leaking this stuff he should get fired at his presser after the game. If he's unintelligent to the point where he thinks another owner/GM combo will buy him pointing fingers at everyone but himself - he won't get a job as a DC let alone HC. He's a good defensive mind, but he ain't that good

I agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that no one is saving the Jets because the organization is the problem. With the redskins a 9-7 season is an improvement but with the Jets it will take much more than that.

We went 9-7, 11-5 and 8-8 before this year's "disaster". I'd say that if RG3 were a Jet we'd be a Super Bowl contender, immediately.

And his son, who (hitherto fore and justifiably) was in strong contention for the village idiot - with a BIG field in D.C. for that title - is now a genius with RG3 and Morris.

If RG3 were on the Jets this year we'd be a SUper Bowl contender? Am I reading that correctly?

Yes. Granted, we probably wouldn't be smart enough to run a college-style read option like Washington does, but he's a tremendous talent and that would be pretty hard to f*** up.

What does Washington have surrounding RG3 that we wouldn't? Alfred Morris. End of list. We have a vastly superior defense and better weapons (yes, I said it) with a healthy Holmes.

Ehhhhh, I think the most direct line for Ryan to keep his career afloat is to jump ship now and avoid being burned at the stake by the new GM in a year's time. This team is hopeless next season unless Drew Brees decides to take the vet minimum to play here. Sure, shedding Tannenbaum might help Rex, but Tannenbaum is likely the only GM interested in keeping Rex on as the Jets head coach moving forward. Casserly may have implied he'd keep Rex on if he's hired as the GM, but would anyone else want all that baggage?

I agree. I think Rex saw what happened to Mangini when you go from having alot of power (and its a joke to think that Rex has limited personnel power. Tanny puts his coaches more or less in charge of it) to no power and how it destroys you and your future as a coach. This is being done to distance himself from the decision making and give him a nice out to leave the organization. He'll pick back up as a DC and get a shot with another team in a year or two. If a new GM comes in, the team goes 4-12 because they need to not spend but instead rebuild, and then he fires Rex, Rexs head coaching resume takes a major hit.

lol. So you're seriously going to say that RG3, a Pro Bowler, would not make this team a contender? He made Washington an immediate contender so I fail to see how this statement is so ridiculous.

The Redskins offense is basically a different sport than what the Jets run. Who was going to install that, one. And two, RGIII for as good as he is leads the league in passes behind the line of scrimmage.....who's making plays for the Jets?

This team with its personnel on offense was never going to be a contender this year....even with RG3

The Redskins offense is basically a different sport than what the Jets run. Who was going to install that, one. And two, RGIII for as good as he is leads the league in passes behind the line of scrimmage.....who's making plays for the Jets?

This team with its personnel on offense was never going to be a contender this year....even with RG3

Even a standard offense with RG3 would be vastly superior to any offense we've had since a healthy Favre in 2008. The kid is a transcendant talent. Personnel and coaching doesn't matter so much when you have that.

Would we have as much success as Washington's offense is? Of course not. But you'd be going from an inaccurate retard at QB to a bonafide stud. He took the Skins from 5-11 to 9-6. You can't tell me we wouldn't have gone 10-6 or better with RG3.

I see progress there. LOL.

Certainly Shannahan's ability to run an offense overall can't be questioned. Before RG3 arrived, if you combined the stats of Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck over the previous two years and made them one quarterback, that QB would have averaged 3,843 passing yards and 20 touchdowns.

...and 23 INTs?

lol. So you're seriously going to say that RG3, a Pro Bowler, would not make this team a contender? He made Washington an immediate contender so I fail to see how this statement is so ridiculous.

Teams that found a QB:

Colts: 1-15 to 10-5 Headed to the playoffs.

Redskins: 5-11 to 9-6. Headed to the playoffs.

Seahawks: 7-9 to 10-5. Headed to the playoffs.

There a trends here.

Even a standard offense with RG3 would be vastly superior to any offense we've had since a healthy Favre in 2008. The kid is a transcendant talent. Personnel and coaching doesn't matter so much when you have that.

Would we have as much success as Washington's offense is? Of course not. But you'd be going from an inaccurate retard at QB to a bonafide stud. He took the Skins from 5-11 to 9-6. You can't tell me we wouldn't have gone 10-6 or better with RG3.

Its impossible to say how he'd look in this offense.

Archived