**Official NY Jets General Manager Discussion Thread** (MERGED)

CrazyCarl40

Google Search....

Jed Hughes

Vice Chairman

Global Sector Leader, Sports

Consumer

New York

Mr. Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing, and developing leaders. His relationships within sports and intercollegiate athletics are extensive, having spent twenty years coaching in professional and intercollegiate football and working for five Hall of Fame coaches.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google Search....

Jed Hughes

Vice Chairman

Global Sector Leader, Sports

Consumer

New York

Mr. Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing, and developing leaders. His relationships within sports and intercollegiate athletics are extensive, having spent twenty years coaching in professional and intercollegiate football and working for five Hall of Fame coaches.

NO EXPERIENCE

His big career accomplishment was getting Brady Hoke to Michigan.

Go, team.

During his long and successful career, Jed Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing and developing leaders. His relationships in professional and intercollegiate sports are extensive, as he spent 20 years coaching for five Hall of Fame coaches: Bo Schembechler (Michigan), Chuck Noll (Pittsburgh Steelers), Bud Grant (Minnesota Vikings), John Ralston (Stanford), and Terry Donahue (UCLA). As defensive coordinator at UCLA, Jed was recognized as the top recruiter in the U.S. for three years, and 75% of the Bruins' 1982 Rose Bowl starters were his recruits.

In 2012, Jed joined Korn/Ferry from Spencer Stuart, where he led the Sports Practice for over a decade. Among his high profile placements are Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby; Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott; USOC chief Scott Blackmun; New York Jets President Neil Glat; SMU Athletic Director Rick Hart, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy; and University of Michigan head coach Brady Hoke.

He has led C-level and board searches for the Big 12 and Pac-12 Conferences, U.S. Olympic Committee, Arsenal FC, Liverpool FC, LPGA, ATP Tour, PGA of America, and Women’s Tennis Association; athletic director searches for the University of Michigan, Michigan State, SMU, Syracuse and the University of Virginia, He also has filled head coaching positions for the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, University of Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State football, as well as University of Oregon basketball.

I was being sarcastic. Everyone was in an uproar because they actually thought Woody would hire someone who wouldn't be qualified to help choose a GM.

This guys resume should quell their fears.

Some of these guys are not exactly consistent. We complain that Woody is NOT a football guy. So we should want him to hire someone to help out with this. But thats just me I guess.

During his long and successful career, Jed Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing and developing leaders. His relationships in professional and intercollegiate sports are extensive, as he spent 20 years coaching for five Hall of Fame coaches: Bo Schembechler (Michigan), Chuck Noll (Pittsburgh Steelers), Bud Grant (Minnesota Vikings), John Ralston (Stanford), and Terry Donahue (UCLA). As defensive coordinator at UCLA, Jed was recognized as the top recruiter in the U.S. for three years, and 75% of the Bruins' 1982 Rose Bowl starters were his recruits.

In 2012, Jed joined Korn/Ferry from Spencer Stuart, where he led the Sports Practice for over a decade. Among his high profile placements are Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby; Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott; USOC chief Scott Blackmun; New York Jets President Neil Glat; SMU Athletic Director Rick Hart, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy; and University of Michigan head coach Brady Hoke.

He has led C-level and board searches for the Big 12 and Pac-12 Conferences, U.S. Olympic Committee, Arsenal FC, Liverpool FC, LPGA, ATP Tour, PGA of America, and Women’s Tennis Association; athletic director searches for the University of Michigan, Michigan State, SMU, Syracuse and the University of Virginia, He also has filled head coaching positions for the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, University of Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State football, as well as University of Oregon basketball.

So he placed a bunch of business executives, and his coaching placements are all jags. Glas this dude is running point for us.

This basically equates to Woody not wanting to pay the top candidate what he's worth, but rather paying another scumbag one salary to go find an under-qualified candidate to pay the balance of what the top candidate should get.

Most intelligent people who are not sitting on a family fortune call this six to one, half dozen to another. But its not really, its worse.... You are spending the same amount, but doing it in the least efficient manner and thus getting the lesser qualified candidate in return. Or worse paying someone to tell you to pay the top candidate what he's worth. Stupid.

Here we are contemplating whether Woody will bite the bullet on Sanchez, Rex, Sporano, Tanny contracts... LOL, Woody doesn't seem%2

SOrry to say that Richie Rich seems like a cheap bastard. He doesn't want to pay salaries to people who he fires. ANd he doesn't want to spend up to the max of the cap either. We are in deep sheet here. I don't know if the stadium overextended this guys' credit or he really isn't that rich to begin with . Simple facts: if the Jets are going toi improve they have to dump Tannenbaum, Ryan, Bradway, Sanchez, Holes, 3/4s of the LBs and pay their salaries to get them to go.And let a real pro start over. This spoiled lucky sperm brat thinks he can get off easy . Too late.

Dan Reeves is quoted in today's NY Post that he might be interested. Polian hasn't yet taken the Chiefs' job. Casserly is a free agent. WHy are the Jets not talking to these guys right now instead of paying a pile of money to allow some buzzword-spouting douche in a suit to make the decisions? He helped hire Goodell, who a. was already wroking in the NFL office and b. is a slo a buzzword-spouting douche. Great.

woody is plenty rich. it's easy for the message board to say eat all these contracts but no one likes wasting money.

Without getting into a discussion about economics or business here I will just say that the rich rely heavily on credit. The stadium deal could very well be hurting the Jets franchise as a business.

Without getting into a discussion about economics or business here I will just say that the rich rely heavily on credit. The stadium deal could very well be hurting the Jets franchise as a business.

I acknowledge this is speculation. But a a half interest in a billion dollar stadium means some serious mortgage payments. Yes, the NJSEA and the state of NJ paid a whole bunch, but not all of it. Johnson is looking at selling a very expensive and lousy product in a declining economy.

I am one guy. I will not renew if I'm required to pay a PSL to see Rex Ryan continue to fight the legality of the forward pass.It's not like we get a ton of playoff games. Mutiply that out and he is looking at his team getting blacked out for the first time since the mid-1970s.

When I get to work tomorrow I will do a Bloomberg scan of how much debt is outstanding from the NY Jets side of the stadium deal. My old firm, Jefferies, was the bookrunner on the Jets side, so I know they have a lot of dough that they owe interest on.

When I get to work tomorrow I will do a Bloomberg scan of how much debt is outstanding from the NY Jets side of the stadium deal. My old firm, Jefferies, was the bookrunner on the Jets side, so I know they have a lot of dough that they owe interest on.

I would be interested to find out. This is all compounded by a terrible economy and having two super bowl winning teams in or close to your market.

No one should trust anything Woody does, but we have to understand context.

First, Woody is a trustfund baby who inherited all his money. He has no sports experience whatsoever. When he bought the team Bill Parcells was in charge and recommended hiring Terry Bradway as his replacement. Mike Tannenbaum was already in the organization when Woody bought the team.

So Woody has never had to hire a "football man" on his own. Thus, the need for a search firm.

This basically equates to Woody not wanting to pay the top candidate what he's worth, but rather paying another scumbag one salary to go find an under-qualified candidate to pay the balance of what the top candidate should get.

Most intelligent people who are not sitting on a family fortune call this six to one, half dozen to another. But its not really, its worse.... You are spending the same amount, but doing it in the least efficient manner and thus getting the lesser qualified candidate in return. Or worse paying someone to tell you to pay the top candidate what he's worth. Stupid.

Here we are contemplating whether Woody will bite the bullet on Sanchez, Rex, Sporano, Tanny contracts... LOL, Woody doesn't seem%2

Woody is the type of guy who feels better throwing 2 million away in the garbage if it helps him save 500,000 on the contract for whatever position it is, its like a class thing, the less his men make the more power he feels over them, just a thought anyway.

SOrry to say that Richie Rich seems like a cheap bastard. He doesn't want to pay salaries to people who he fires. ANd he doesn't want to spend up to the max of the cap either. We are in deep sheet here. I don't know if the stadium overextended this guys' credit or he really isn't that rich to begin with . Simple facts: if the Jets are going toi improve they have to dump Tannenbaum, Ryan, Bradway, Sanchez, Holes, 3/4s of the LBs and pay their salaries to get them to go.And let a real pro start over. This spoiled lucky sperm brat thinks he can get off easy . Too late.

Dan Reeves is quoted in today's NY Post that he might be interested. Polian hasn't yet taken the Chiefs' job. Casserly is a free agent. WHy are the Jets not talking to these guys right now instead of paying a pile of money to allow some buzzword-spouting douche in a suit to make the decisions? He helped hire Goodell, who a. was already wroking in the NFL office and b. is a slo a buzzword-spouting douche. Great.

He also placed the guy running the Packers who have been pretty good under his watch. I'm encouraged he's going this route instead of calling up Parcells who endorsed Tannenbaum and Sparano.

I did not find that, but I believe you. Link to exact quote?

IMO, Jets need a GM/Executive with a league known presence. Somebody the players will know, respect and fear to some degree.

Archived