Report: GM Mike Tannenbaum FIRED (MERGED)

gangreenman

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Rex has made more personnel dicisions and has a major fault in the makeup of the team? Probably. Which means we fired the right guy. A real GM assumes as much decision making as he can. Any coach, given the opportunity, will build his own squad his own way. The GM is the one who implements the plan, and assumes responsibilty for the personnel ultimately. Tanny was the consummate "yes-man". Eventually, being Woody's lapdog wore thin and he was exposed as a fine lawyer and accountant, but a clueless boob as far as football decisions. He let Rex and Mangini pull the strings because he was out of his depth. Mangini did a nice job with the personnel, drafting and FA's. So Tanny looked like a genius. Mangold, Brick, Leon Washington, Brad and Eric Smith, Revis, Harris, T-Rich, D. Woody, Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones, Dustin Keller, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins..Mangini guys that made Tanny look good. But if he was any good, he'd have continued that success. Tanny was only as good as the people around him. Now we need a guy to take the rudder and steer the team, not the other way around.

hot d*mn let's hire mangini as GM

that head hunter is gonna earn his fee by being told to get a "star" GM who has to sign off on rex being HC, pettine DC and presumably - no trading revis

lol

only the jets

Did you hear what KC is doing? Ownership is hiring the HC and them seeing if Paoli fits or not.

With 2013 likely being a rebuilding year, isn't it better to have Rex here than have a new HC who could be tainted with a bad initial season?

Think about it. The last 5 Jets HC had a winning season their first year with the team (Parcells, 9-7, Groh, 9-7, Herm, 10-6, Mangini, 10-6, and Rex, 9-7).

Do we want the new HC starting his tenure with a losing record because of a bad roster?

presumably - no trading revis

lol

only the jets

I don't get how trading Revis is considered such a great way to get better. People say they were fine without him, well actually no they were 6-10 without him. the dude is worth a couple wins at least and there's not alot of players like that. when you find em you try to keep em. whoever they hire should know that.

I don't get how trading Revis is considered such a great way to get better. People say they were fine without him, well actually no they were 6-10 without him. the dude is worth a couple wins at least and there's not alot of players like that. when you find em you try to keep em. whoever they hire should know that.

Two wins? Because they went 8-8 the year before and this year went 6-10. But Revis also went 4-12 in 2007, so how many wins was he worth then?

Regardless, your point is absurd. The Jets didn't lose games because of their pass defense, which was 2nd in the NFL (5th the year before with Revis). They lost them because Sanchez was awful.

Apparently 2?

Really? What games would have the Jets have won this year with Revis on the field?

There is no question the Jets are better with him than without. The real question is as good as mevi$ is, is he worth the ridiculous money he will demand next extension. Now I say ridiculous not because he isn't talented, its because he is merely a CB and you can't pay a CB almost 1/4 of your cap space. If the Jets use him this year (assuming no holdout which might be a huge assumption) they have no leverage to dump him the year after as they can't franchise him meaning he can walk with zero compensation. Better to get picks and cap relief then deal with his contract demands. There is only one position that should get the kind of money he wants, and it ain't a CB.

There is no question the Jets are better with him than without. The real question is as good as mevi$ is, is he worth the ridiculous money he will demand next extension. Now I say ridiculous not because he isn't talented, its because he is merely a CB and you can't pay a CB almost 1/4 of your cap space. If the Jets use him this year (assuming no holdout which might be a huge assumption) they have no leverage to dump him the year after as they can't franchise him meaning he can walk with zero compensation. Better to get picks and cap relief then deal with his contract demands. There is only one position that should get the kind of money he wants, and it ain't a CB.

Good post.

Couldn't agree more.

Harbaugh was not your typical ST coach. He was diverse enough to become a DB coach in his last year with the Eagles, he was the son of a coach, a former player for The U...He and his brother were amongst the most well respected and highly touted young coaches in the game before landing their HC gigs.

Ya sure mon, at the time all pundits said WTF? Also Jim wasnt in the NFL and it is never certain how a college coach will do in NFL. that said Ravens made right choice over skippy rexey mon

This is all true, but until we know what kind of contract he is talking about how can you decide? The message board geniuses just want to trade him cause he'll get a lot of money. He'll deserve it. The idea that you get better by trading away all high dollar players without considering the contract and what you'll get in return is kind of crazy. Picks and cap relief will be spent in spades trying to find a player that is worth 1/3 of Revis.

8-8 team with Revis, 6-10 without. Doesn't fix our QB problems and doesn't make us a contender. We have Cromartie as a bonafide # 1 corner. No need to continue to load so much money into the CB position when its QB's and pass-rush that win titles.

Regardless, your point is absurd.

yeah everyone wants to trade the team's best player for a 2nd round pick, and I am the absurd one. Maybe if the Jets fire everyone, trade everyone and disband the franchise, they can be awesome in 2040. Gotta take a step back right?

Cro is a bonafide athlete refusing to jam receivers at corner. He's gonna lose a step and he's gonna be terrible. It's coming. This is the player they should trade. Not revis.

Cromartie has been 10X more physical than in year's past and was voted Team MVP.

Trading Cromartie doesn't make the Jets better.

Cromartie has been 10X more physical than in year's past and was voted Team MVP.

He's physical in tackles but still refuses to jam, which is pretty bad for a defense that plays man all the time. Look I don't think the Jets should trade their best players cause they went 6-10 but if there is a corner to be traded we are all focusing on the wrong one. Cro has about 1 or 2 more years of being good. Revis will be Revis until he retires.

The fact that we are worried about who our corners are is a reflection of how bad the front 7 is. High priced corners are the achilles heel of organizations that try to fix pass defense at the backend of a defense they FAILED to build in the front 7.

Pass rush is the key to everything on defense. EVERYTHING.

With it, we can put role-players on the corners and spend our money on offense. Without it, we are hamstrung by contracts for guys like Revis and Cromartie.

8-8 team with Revis, 6-10 without. Doesn't fix our QB problems and doesn't make us a contender. We have Cromartie as a bonafide # 1 corner. No need to continue to load so much money into the CB position when its QB's and pass-rush that win titles.

Not so sure about that. We havent tried him at QB. If we replaced Sanchez with him, I'd bet the Jets are in the playoffs.

He's physical in tackles but still refuses to jam, which is pretty bad for a defense that plays man all the time. Look I don't think the Jets should trade their best players cause they went 6-10 but if there is a corner to be traded we are all focusing on the wrong one. Cro has about 1 or 2 more years of being good. Revis will be Revis until he retires.

The point that you seem to be ignoring is that there's a fairly good chance that Revis will be Revis for a different team even if the Jets don't trade him. I don't disagree that a 2nd round pick isn't worth making a deal for (considering the Jets are guaranteed to get a 3rd back even if he walks in FA), but if the Jets' new GM isn't willing to pay franchise QB money to a CB, which is exactly what Revis is going to be looking for in a year from now, he has to be willing to at least listen to offers.

The point that you seem to be ignoring is that there's a fairly good chance that Revis will be Revis for a different team even if the Jets don't trade him. I don't disagree that a 2nd round pick isn't worth making a deal for (considering the Jets are guaranteed to get a 3rd back even if he walks in FA), but if the Jets' new GM isn't willing to pay franchise QB money to a CB, which is exactly what Revis is going to be looking for in a year from now, he has to be willing to at least listen to offers.

I'd rather pay franchise QB money to Revis than to an unproven Qb. the Jets problem was paying franchise QB money to Sanchez. Who is this franchise Qb they are gonna give Revis' money to? is he 2 drafts away?

The fact that we are worried about who our corners are is a reflection of how bad the front 7 is. High priced corners are the achilles heel of organizations that try to fix pass defense at the backend of a defense they FAILED to build in the front 7.

Pass rush is the key to everything on defense. EVERYTHING.

With it, we can put role-players on the corners and spend our money on offense. Without it, we are hamstrung by contracts for guys like Revis and Cromartie.

Our linebackers are old and slow, but I like our pass-rushers. Wilkerson and Coples will be a solid tandem for a long time. Maybe add another pass-rushing OLB in the draft and that will become the strength of this defense.

I'd rather pay franchise QB money to Revis than to an unproven Qb. the Jets problem was paying franchise QB money to Sanchez. Who is this franchise Qb they are gonna give Revis' money to? is he 2 drafts away?

Just because we whiffed on Sanchez doesn't mean you give up trying to find a QB. That's the task of the new GM and the scouting department he brings in.

QB's are cheaper in the draft than they were when Sanchez was taken because of the new CBA, so the incentive to take a QB early in the draft has never been greater. Trade Revis for 2014 and 2015 picks and hopefully you find your franchise guy in one of those 2 drafts, if you can't get lucky with a 2nd/3rd rounder in this one.

Archived