Report: GM Mike Tannenbaum FIRED (MERGED)

gangreenman

Trade Revis for 2014 and 2015 picks and hopefully you find your franchise guy in one of those 2 drafts, if you can't get lucky with a 2nd/3rd rounder in this one.

the Jets will have draft picks in those years without having to trade their best player. the problem with draft picks is if they don't work out you just traded your best player for nothing. Just pay him.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather pay franchise QB money to Revis than to an unproven Qb. the Jets problem was paying franchise QB money to Sanchez. Who is this franchise Qb they are gonna give Revis' money to? is he 2 drafts away?

Well like I said, it really comes down to what the GM is willing to do. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the concept, you know as well as I do that there are some GMs out there who would never invest that kind of money in the CB position. If the new guy is one of those guys, that has a serious impact on how the situation needs to be handled. If it becomes a forgone conclusion that Revis is gone in a year, that should make it clear to even his biggest fans that a trade has to be considered if the offer is right. If, on the other hand, the new GM thinks Revis is well worth the money, that's a completely different story. Let's not forget, the franchise tag is not an option, so the Jets essentially need to make a decision about all of this before the start of next season.

I'd rather pay franchise QB money to Revis than to an unproven Qb. the Jets problem was paying franchise QB money to Sanchez. Who is this franchise Qb they are gonna give Revis' money to? is he 2 drafts away?

Also, we paid QB money to Revis 2 years ago. How did that work out?

Our linebackers are old and slow, but I like our pass-rushers. Wilkerson and Coples will be a solid tandem for a long time. Maybe add another pass-rushing OLB in the draft and that will become the strength of this defense.

What pass rushers?

the Jets will have draft picks in those years without having to trade their best player. the problem with draft picks is if they don't work out you just traded your best player for nothing. Just pay him.

This is an incredibly pessimistic and short-sighted viewpoint. Maybe we'll end up BETTER for trading Revis. Have you considered this possibility? You build teams through the draft, and you build TITLE contenders with QB's and pass-rushers, not CB's. We already have a guy who's been nearly as good as Revis ready to step into his role. There's no reason for the GM not to at least explore trading Revis. If we don't get good value back then you look to stockpile draft picks another way.

This is an incredibly pessimistic and short-sighted viewpoint. Maybe we'll end up BETTER for trading Revis. Have you considered this possibility? You build teams through the draft, and you build TITLE contenders with QB's and pass-rushers, not CB's.

considering that Revis is the best player the Jets have drafted since Joe willy, the chances that they get better by trading him, statistically are very small. Revis already was a once in 40 years draft pick. He's made all pro every year he's been healthy. the chances they find a better player in the next 2 or 3 drafts is tiny. Im not arguing that a good Qb is more valuable than a great CB what i am arguing is that these are seperate issues. the Jets aren't choosing between Revis and Brady. they are choosing between Revis and air.

the Jets aren't choosing between Revis and Brady. they are choosing between Revis and air.

They're choosing between Revis and a shot at the next Brady. Revis can't win us a title. A Brady could. I'll take my chances, ESPECIALLY when you factor in how much Revis will cost us against the cap going forward versus what draft picks cost.

Also, we paid QB money to Revis 2 years ago. How did that work out?

What, you think being fat and out of shape (being directly responsible for an injury) one season, showing a sharp decline in play in the second half of the year the next season, and then playing a grand total of 2 games the season after that isn't worthy of $16 million / year? I guess someone has some awfully high standards, huh?

Wilkerson, who should have been a Pro Bowler, and Coples. I expect both to elevate their play next year.

I wouldnt consider them "pass rushers", even though they were the Jets sack leaders. They are just solid DE's. We need a true, OLB, edge rusher. Asking 3-4 DE's be your pass rusher is a little backwards.

What, you think being fat and out of shape (being directly responsible for an injury) one season, showing a sharp decline in play in the second half of the year the next season, and then playing a grand total of 2 games the season after that isn't worthy of $16 million / year? I guess someone has some awfully high standards, huh?

Don't get me wrong, Revis is an all-world talent and I support his quest to get paid like it more than most. But for OUR franchise, in its current state, he's the wrong fit. Successful teams have the following as their top-paid players:

1. QB

2. Everybody else.

Us:

1. CB.

Few other people

like 5th. CB

This just doesn't work in the NFL.

Cro is a bonafide athlete refusing to jam receivers at corner. He's gonna lose a step and he's gonna be terrible. It's coming. This is the player they should trade. Not revis.

I agree with you on the two players, most of the rest of the league probably does, too.

They can listen to offers for both, and then decide accordingly. Revis is a tremendous player, but he's obviously a headache when it comes to contract negotiations. He's also likely to get back significantly more in a trade. They should start talking to Revis about an extension as soon as new GM is hired to get a feel for what they're looking at with him. The new guy could simply decide to part ways because of money, having been screwed by his predecessor.

The fact that we are worried about who our corners are is a reflection of how bad the front 7 is. High priced corners are the achilles heel of organizations that try to fix pass defense at the backend of a defense they FAILED to build in the front 7.

Pass rush is the key to everything on defense. EVERYTHING.

With it, we can put role-players on the corners and spend our money on offense. Without it, we are hamstrung by contracts for guys like Revis and Cromartie.

Jets have consistently had one of the top defenses against the pass despite the lack of a pass rush. If it's not the stellar CB play, then I guess it must be coaching?

This is all cart before the horse kind of stuff.

First, you need to hire a new GM.

Then you need that GM to decide if he is done with Rex this year, or after next.

Then this GM decides how he is going to mold the dynamics of this team, after his own vision.

Based on those criteria, you begin to understand what player movements may be made, and who may be the best fit, who may be considered expendable with value, and is is just expendable.

It is a process. And no one on this team should be considered "untouchable"

I agree with you on the two players, most of the rest of the league probably does, too.

They can listen to offers for both, and then decide accordingly. Revis is a tremendous player, but he's obviously a headache when it comes to contract negotiations. He's also likely to get back significantly more in a trade. They should start talking to Revis about an extension as soon as new GM is hired to get a feel for what they're looking at with him. The new guy could simply decide to part ways because of money, having been screwed by his predecessor.

Jets have consistently had one of the top defenses against the pass despite the lack of a pass rush. If it's not the stellar CB play, then I guess it must be coaching?

Or in the case of this year-The lack of quality offenses they played. This stellar defense did not perform so well when matched up against the better offenses in the league. Paper lion.

Cro is a bonafide athlete refusing to jam receivers at corner. He's gonna lose a step and he's gonna be terrible. It's coming. This is the player they should trade. Not revis.

Trade both Cro and Revis and get some picks to rebuild the team by a bona fide "football guy" GM.

This is all cart before the horse kind of stuff.

First, you need to hire a new GM.

Then you need that GM to decide if he is done with Rex this year, or after next.

Then this GM decides how he is going to mold the dynamics of this team, after his own vision.

Based on those criteria, you begin to understand what player movements may be made, and who may be the best fit, who may be considered expendable with value, and is is just expendable.

It is a process. And no one on this team should be considered "untouchable"

For once I agree with you fully here. We won't really know what our future is going to look like until the new GM is in tow.

the Jets aren't choosing between Revis and Brady. they are choosing between Revis and air.

The Jets could be choosing between Revis and a franchise QB, depending on what QBs are FAs in 2014. It's not like there's a QB cap and a CB cap.

Don't get me wrong, Revis is an all-world talent and I support his quest to get paid like it more than most. But for OUR franchise, in its current state, he's the wrong fit. Successful teams have the following as their top-paid players:

1. QB

2. Everybody else.

Us:

1. CB.

Few other people

like 5th. CB

This just doesn't work in the NFL.

I hear you man, and I'm right there with you. Under ideal circumstances I would love nothing more than for the Jets to keep Revis, but I'm just not sure that, given the state of this team, it really makes the most sense. Just based on his position alone, Revis is not now nor will he ever be the kind of player that will truly lead your team to a championship. The Jets have plenty of work to do and having your team hamstrung by a huge contract to a guy who's prime years will be wasted away while the team is in the process of rebuilding and trying to track down it's franchise QB isn't going to accomplish much in the long run. We saw glimpses of it in 2010 and it was proven further this year that this pass defense does not live and die by Revis and while his presence would still certainly be an obvious boost, the question is if it's enough of a difference to justify such a huge chunk of the salary cap while also passing on whatever could be gotten in return for him. It's not that I don't think Revis is an amazing player, I'm just not sure the difference he provides to the overall value to the team matches up to the difference between how much more he wants to be paid than the other top players at his position. Consider that he wants to get paid twice as much as his own teammate Cromartie, who seemed to do just fine stepping into Revis' role for him this year. When you consider that you can get 2 Cro's for the price of 1 Revis, it's tough not to have some doubts.

Or in the case of this year-The lack of quality offenses they played. This stellar defense did not perform so well when matched up against the better offenses in the league. Paper lion.

Yeah, as previously discussed, the Jets were the only team in the league to face lesser competition this year, and losing Revis for the season is completely insignificant.

I hear you man, and I'm right there with you. Under ideal circumstances I would love nothing more than for the Jets to keep Revis, but I'm just not sure that, given the state of this team, it really makes the most sense. Just based on his position alone, Revis is not now nor will he ever be the kind of player that will truly lead your team to a championship. The Jets have plenty of work to do and having your team hamstrung by a huge contract to a guy who's prime years will be wasted away while the team is in the process of rebuilding and trying to track down it's franchise QB isn't going to accomplish much in the long run. We saw glimpses of it in 2010 and it was proven further this year that this pass defense does not live and die by Revis and while his presence would still certainly be an obvious boost, the question is if it's enough of a difference to justify such a huge chunk of the salary cap while also passing on whatever could be gotten in return for him. It's not that I don't think Revis is an amazing player, I'm just not sure the difference he provides to the overall value to the team matches up to the difference between how much more he wants to be paid than the other top players at his position. Consider that he wants to get paid twice as much as his own teammate Cromartie, who seemed to do just fine stepping into Revis' role for him this year. When you consider that you can get 2 Cro's for the price of 1 Revis, it's tough not to have some doubts.

Plus we don't know how long Rex will be here. While strong CB's are crucial to his scheme, they may not be a fit for a future HC. Say we keep Revis and pay him AND Cro big money, but still lose and Rex gets fired. We'd have to find a HC who can work with a terrific secondary but no pass rush like Rex did.

Also, tl;dr.

Trade both Cro and Revis and get some picks to rebuild the team by a bona fide "football guy" GM.

I think in the long term this is a very distinct possibility, but if the Jets would like to have a proven #1 presence at CB while they bring younger guys in at the position, Revis is the one that they would essentially be forced to move more quickly while Cro's contract gives them freedom to wait one or even two (with some help from the franchise tag) more years before moving on from him. If the GM would rather have the picks on hand immediately that's obviously a different story.

Plus we don't know how long Rex will be here. While strong CB's are crucial to his scheme, they may not be a fit for a future HC. Say we keep Revis and pay him AND Cro big money, but still lose and Rex gets fired. We'd have to find a HC who can work with a terrific secondary but no pass rush like Rex did.

Also, tl;dr.

THAT was tl;dr? Give me a break, that was child's play.

I'm aware of that. The point I'm making is that IF we did have a pass rush generated by the front 7, THEN we wouldn't have so much money tied up in the CB position. I feel we can accomplish a similar statistical ranking with legit pass rush and less expensive corners.

When you rely on 2 elite corners and no pass rush for your pass D, you end up with what we've seen (in spite of the rankings) which is a defense that can be picked apart in the underneath coverage by good QBs and a team that has to devote members of the front 7 to coverage, thus weakening the run D.

Revis and Cromartie are luxuries. Pass rushers are necessities. IMO.

This.

I advocated trading Revis a couple weeks back. Totally agree with you. The team with the best CB doesn't win the SuperBowl. The Raiders and Nnamdi are a perfect example of that... they should have traded his ass and rebuilt, rather than let him leave as a FA.

This.

I advocated trading Revis a couple weeks back. Totally agree with you. The team with the best CB doesn't win the SuperBowl. The Raiders and Nnamdi are a perfect example of that... they should have traded his ass and rebuilt, rather than let him leave as a FA.

So let's play this out, trade Revis and make two Draft picks. If they are busts it was a bad idea, if they are great you are back in cap he'll.

So let's play this out, trade Revis and make two Draft picks. If they are busts it was a bad idea, if they are great you are back in cap he'll.

2013 picks? Or let NFL see him recovered in camp/games and get hopefully higher value in 2014 picks?

The bolded makes zero sense.

Teams don't get into "cap hell" because of great players.

They get into cap hell for paying sucky players as if they're great players and then having to eat the salary when the team gets rid of them.

franchise QBs don't hit FA. unless they are like Drew Brees with a torn labrum.

yup, and folks forget rumor back then was Jets had agreed on deal for Phillip Rivers before Brees went down and SD let Brees leave. SD decided to keep Rivers when Brees got hurt, deal cancelled.

franchise QBs don't hit FA. unless they are like Drew Brees with a torn labrum.

i don't think it's a slam dunk either way on the question of trading Revis.

If you keep him, you get a HoF -possibly GOAT- CB for the next however many years at franchise QB-like money.

If you trade him, you get a couple high picks, and an extra $12-15M or so in money to use in free agency. So whether that money is used for a franchise QB, or LaRon Landry & friends, it's money they can use for talent they need.

By this logic... we should never draft or sign another player ever.

This Jets team is way too many players short of a good roster for them to be indulging in two of the top 5 CBs in the league, giving them their 3rd+ contracts of their career where you essentially start paying for what they've done and not what they will do for the rest of their career.

Archived