Report: GM Mike Tannenbaum FIRED (MERGED)

gangreenman

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that Mike Tannenbaum is out as the Jets' general manager, let's take a look at names likely on the team's radar. Woody Johnson announced that Rex Ryan will remain as coach, so a candidate who has ties to Ryan might help.

Jerry Angelo, former Bears GM -- A well-respected football man who built the Bears' 2006 Super Bowl team. He went 87-73 during an 11-year run as the Bears' GM. Spent last season out of football, looking to get back in.

David Caldwell, Falcons, director of player personnel -- A Bill Polian protege who spent a decade as a Colts scout. Has been linked to several potential openings. Has spent only one season in current role, working with highly regarded GM Thomas Dimitroff.

Joey Clinkscales, Raiders, director of player personnel -- Knows the ins and outs of the Jets' organization, having served as vice president of college scouting from 2008 to 2012. Prior to that, he was a longtime scout for the Jets.

Scott Cohen, Jets, assistant GM -- The top in-house candidate. Has worked closely with Tannenbaum since 2008, mostly scouting in pro personnel. Previously, worked for the Eagles.

Eric DeCosta, Ravens, assistant GM -- Has been linked to several GM openings in recent years, but signed a lucrative deal last January to remain with Ravens. Seen as Ozzie Newsome's heir apparent. Has a background with Ryan.

John Dorsey, Packers, director of football operations -- Has spent most of his career in Green Bay. Worked at the side of Ron Wolf, one of the best GMs in history. Worked his way up from a college scout.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins, assistant GM -- Considered a rising star in league circles. A native New Yorker, a former practice-squad TE for the Jets and a former Jets scout. Learned the business from Bill Parcells. Strong scouting background. Knows the AFC East.

Tom Gamble, 49ers, director of player personnel -- Has been linked to potential openings in Jacksonville and Cleveland. Served as Jets defensive assistant in 1995-96. Also spent time under Polian with the Colts. Solid resume.

George Kokinis, Ravens, personnel assistant -- Familiar with Ryan from their days in Baltimore together. Has spent most of career with the Ravens, but served as the Browns' GM in 2009 before losing a power struggle to then-coach Eric Mangini.

Bill Polian, former Colts GM -- One of the most accomplished personnel men in history, having built Super Bowl teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis. Now works as an ESPN analyst. The question is, at age 70, does he want back in?

Link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19553/potential-gm-candidates

agree which is why I think they agreed in Principal already with someone (Marc Ross).

the fact they changed course and didnt keep Tanny as Cap Guy tells me the folks Woody talked to last week said they wouldnt come if Tanny still here.

Plus, Ross pulled his name from panthers search 2 days ago after he was #1 choice and contract was already being negotiated. odd timing?? Hope so :)

If they had someone set up why hire a search consultant?

Now that Mike Tannenbaum is out as the Jets' general manager, let's take a look at names likely on the team's radar. Woody Johnson announced that Rex Ryan will remain as coach, so a candidate who has ties to Ryan might help.

Jerry Angelo, former Bears GM -- A well-respected football man who built the Bears' 2006 Super Bowl team. He went 87-73 during an 11-year run as the Bears' GM. Spent last season out of football, looking to get back in.

David Caldwell, Falcons, director of player personnel -- A Bill Polian protege who spent a decade as a Colts scout. Has been linked to several potential openings. Has spent only one season in current role, working with highly regarded GM Thomas Dimitroff.

Joey Clinkscales, Raiders, director of player personnel -- Knows the ins and outs of the Jets' organization, having served as vice president of college scouting from 2008 to 2012. Prior to that, he was a longtime scout for the Jets.

Scott Cohen, Jets, assistant GM -- The top in-house candidate. Has worked closely with Tannenbaum since 2008, mostly scouting in pro personnel. Previously, worked for the Eagles.

Eric DeCosta, Ravens, assistant GM -- Has been linked to several GM openings in recent years, but signed a lucrative deal last January to remain with Ravens. Seen as Ozzie Newsome's heir apparent. Has a background with Ryan.

John Dorsey, Packers, director of football operations -- Has spent most of his career in Green Bay. Worked at the side of Ron Wolf, one of the best GMs in history. Worked his way up from a college scout.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins, assistant GM -- Considered a rising star in league circles. A native New Yorker, a former practice-squad TE for the Jets and a former Jets scout. Learned the business from Bill Parcells. Strong scouting background. Knows the AFC East.

Tom Gamble, 49ers, director of player personnel -- Has been linked to potential openings in Jacksonville and Cleveland. Served as Jets defensive assistant in 1995-96. Also spent time under Polian with the Colts. Solid resume.

George Kokinis, Ravens, personnel assistant -- Familiar with Ryan from their days in Baltimore together. Has spent most of career with the Ravens, but served as the Browns' GM in 2009 before losing a power struggle to then-coach Eric Mangini.

Bill Polian, former Colts GM -- One of the most accomplished personnel men in history, having built Super Bowl teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis. Now works as an ESPN analyst. The question is, at age 70, does he want back in?

Link:

http://espn.go.com/b...l-gm-candidates

Give us some more Scott Cohen

Lol, so typical, morons

Keeping Rex is not as stupid as you say. Even if you are 100% correct in your assessment of him, which I'm not certain you are.

Unless you think that a new coach/new GM can make us a contender next year (I don't), then it really doesn't matter.

Next year is about clearing salary and acquiring good, young talent. That's the only thing that matters.

Let Rex deal with the mess for the first year and if somehow it turns out well, you haven't abandoned a pretty solid X's and O's guy. If not, you bring in a new guy with a stronger foundation and less of a disaster on his hands.

All we should be hoping for right now is a couple good draft picks and a veteran to replace the Sanchize.

Link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19553/potential-gm-candidates

DeCosta, Gaine, and Gamble are the types of people I'd like to see brought in. I'd add Kokinis, but losing a power struggle to Mangini doesn't bode we'll for him. The Jets need to bring in a boss.

DeCosta, Gaine, and Gamble are the types of people I'd like to see brought in. I'd add Kokinis, but losing a power struggle to Mangini doesn't bode we'll for him. The Jets need to bring in a boss.

I agree. Those three candidates are my early favorites too. I would add Gamble too though.

Joey Clinkscales! The guy that brought us Vernon Gholston! Yay! 2008 is when our drafts started going to sh*t and the two guys mentioned from within were our scouts during that time frame. Why not go back to when we were drafting starters?

You're the godfather of the ilk.

Too likeable.

Classy. What are you 12?

Is this the first time you've seen him post? First time you've seen any of us post? This place is basically an overweight homo-erotic junior high school lockerroom.

If they had someone set up why hire a search consultant?

Is it possible this has something to do with the EEo rules? I know they have to interview minority candidates for coaching openings. Do they have to do that for the GM search as well? Having a consultant involved can insure that you follow all the rules and you can pass the liability off to them if you violate.

Keeping Rex is not as stupid as you say. Even if you are 100% correct in your assessment of him, which I'm not certain you are.

Unless you think that a new coach/new GM can make us a contender next year (I don't), then it really doesn't matter.

Next year is about clearing salary and acquiring good, young talent. That's the only thing that matters.

Let Rex deal with the mess for the first year and if somehow it turns out well, you haven't abandoned a pretty solid X's and O's guy. If not, you bring in a new guy with a stronger foundation and less of a disaster on his hands.

All we should be hoping for right now is a couple good draft picks and a veteran to replace the Sanchize.

This is where I've been for a while.

There's gonna be some pain next year. The new GM can give Rex a chance with some new talent. If it doesn't work out, the new GM can then blame Rex and clean house next year.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there's some Woody saving money crap going on in there, too.

I would much rather a coach and GM build a team in concert, in their own mold so that they can draft personnel to fit that mold. Keeping Rex on for one year to serve as a martyr for his sins makes no sense. Get on with all the dirty business now. We all realize next years team will be an abortion.

There's gonna be some pain next year. The new GM can give Rex a chance with some new talent. If it doesn't work out, the new GM can then blame Rex and clean house next year.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there's some Woody saving money crap going on in there, too.

And...... the process of truly rebuilding get delayed further

Link:

http://espn.go.com/b...l-gm-candidates

Put a big red X on Clinckscale's forehead. Do not want. But, then again, I wouldn't put it past Woody.

I would much rather a coach and GM build a team in concert, in their own mold so that they can draft personnel to fit that mold. Keeping Rex on for one year to serve as a martyr for his sins makes no sense. Get on with all the dirty business now. We all realize next years team will be an abortion.

Let it be one. You want to find out who has character? Let it go all Lord of the Flies up in here and we will see who stands for what.

There absolutely is. But, you know what, Woody's gotta swallow Sanchez's 8.2 million, plus money to tannenbaum and sporano. Is it the end of the world for him to not throw out another 6M in a rebuilding year?

This decision is not about next year, it is about the future.

We will never get a good GM contingent upon having to keep Rex here. First off, everyone good will realize that if the going gets tough, they will be gone before the coach, second, any good GM will want to bring in a coach they are comfortable with.

So this is huge strike 1.

Next, even if we get an Alex Smith, we are no better than an 8-8 team next year.

I don't want an Alex Smith, I want a true franchise QB, and I want a big time offense that has a chance to someday win a SB!

You don't get big time franchise QB's picking in the middle of the first round, unless you are lucky as sh*t, and we are not.

Second, Rex has shown horrible judgement, when it comes to offense, both in coaching choices and in personnel choices.

I have zero, absolutely zero faith that Rex and the new "must keep Rex" GM will be able to instill an NFL offense.

This is typical Jets, no long term plan, lets play it one year at a time. We will be below average, to average at best next year, and miss out on a good draft pick, and will be stuck with Rex and an Alex Smith type QB.

Every year we will be praying to squeeze out wins with our defense and poor offense, and hoping for breaks to get into the playoffs.

It's not the worst situation, but its not what I want as a fan.

I want championships, I want a team that every year is a legitimate contender to be a champion.

It's year 1. We're in cap hell, and we don't have a full slate of draft picks... And, by all accounts, it's a weak draft. This year is about gutting, and adding 1 or 2 pieces. The real rebuild comes after next year.

Patience, Dierking-son.

Archived