Report: GM Mike Tannenbaum FIRED (MERGED)

gangreenman

Sounds like Tanny is completely out with no re-assignment.

As to Rex, we have to see what the new GM thinks. This is not unprecedented. A new GM essentially gives the incumbent HC a 1 yr tryout before deciding to go in a different direction or decide to retain the HC.

The new GM in Pittsburgh kept Bill Cowher on the heels of a 6-10 season. 2 years later they won the SB.

The "search firm guy" also helped Seattle hire their GM who may be executive of the year.

But lets keep panicking.. more fun that way.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of Arizona, Jacksonville, Cleveland, San Diego, Kansas City, the Jets, and Carolina, the Jets are easily the least attractive job for any GM candidate. You're stuck with Rex, Sanchez, Holmes, an aging defense and a nitwit, meddling owner who demands back pages. Good luck, search firm guy.

Can Billy King work for both teams?

Out of Arizona, Jacksonville, Cleveland, San Diego, Kansas City, the Jets, and Carolina, the Jets are easily the least attractive job for any GM candidate. You're stuck with Rex, Sanchez, Holmes, an aging defense and a nitwit, meddling owner who demands back pages. Good luck, search firm guy.

ts if you can't be happy today, the day Tanny gets fired... you might not ever be happy

I don't think it's the least attractive of all, but it's really got a lot of hideous options to it.

Based on talent, I would agree it is not the least attractive, but all of those other teams will have a new HC, not a HC who is one bad season from being fired.

To me, that would make us easily the least attractive when you throw in everything else.

ts if you can't be happy today, the day Tanny gets fired... you might not ever be happy

I would be happier if Rex was fired.

And I would have been thrilled if both Rex and Tanny were fired.

But then, I would have probably been unhappy again as soon as we hired a new crappy GM and a new crappy coach.

Im a Jet fan.

Based on talent, I would agree it is not the least attractive, but all of those other teams will have a new HC, not a HC who is one bad season from being fired.

To me, that would make us easily the least attractive when you throw in everything else.

Looks like Titans are keeping Munchak so they have the same situation and are inheriting Locker. At least with the Jets the QB situation is something the new GM would be able to rectify.

Yeah who isn't dying to go to Jacksonville, Cleveland, or Kansas City...

Yeah who isn't dying to go to Jacksonville, Cleveland, or Kansas City...

If you are a coordinator looking to make a name, NY is a risky proposition.

If you do well, you are a huge success and a HC in the making, but the lack of patience here will also get you fired quicker than most places, and the blame game is played at a much higher level here than most other places.

Look at Schotty, after 2006, he could have had a HC job.

Last year, he was lucky to get an OC job.

Scott Pioli still has a job somehow so scratch KC off your "Which Team Sucks Less" list.

Eric DeCosta, Ravens, assistant GM -- Has been linked to several GM openings in recent years, but signed a lucrative deal last January to remain with Ravens. Seen as Ozzie Newsome's heir apparent. Has a background with Ryan.

IM THINKING THATS WHY REX WASN'T CANNED YET....

Bill Polian, former Colts GM -- One of the most accomplished personnel men in history, having built Super Bowl teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis. Now works as an ESPN analyst. The question is, at age 70, does he want back in?

I WOULD LOVE TO GET POLIAN.....

Link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19553/potential-gm-candidates

You have got to be kidding, Tom.

Az, Jax, Cle, and Carolina are NFL sewers. KC has a worse team in place than NY. Only SD might be more attractive, and that's only because living in SD would be cool.

NY is a big time high profile job, and while 2013 looks like crap, the new executive will be able to start molding the team in his image -from the HC on down- as soon as 2014. It's exactly the kind of job that someone with ability and ego would want.

You have got to be kidding, Tom.

Az, Jax, Cle, and Carolina are NFL sewers. KC has a worse team in place than NY. Only SD might be more attractive, and that's only because living in SD would be cool.

NY is a big time high profile job, and while 2013 looks like crap, the new executive will be able to start molding the team in his image -from the HC on down- as soon as 2014. It's exactly the kind of job that someone with ability and ego would want.

If reports are true that Woody has already stated Rex will be back, and that is not a decision that the new GM would be able to make on day 1, I strongly disagree with your assertion.

The last thing a GM wants is to be told who he can and cant have as his HC.

Not to mention, if they fire Rex after year 1, he is going to be the next scapegoat if things dont get better quickly.

It is basically the sign of a meddling owner, and one year less to work with, to me, any GM with options would not touch that with a 10 foot pole.

If reports are true that Woody has already stated Rex will be back, and that is not a decision that the new GM would be able to make on day 1, I strongly disagree with your assertion.

Not to mention, if they fire Rex after year 1, he is going to be the next scapegoat if things dont get better quickly.

It is basically the sign of a meddling owner, and one year less to work with, to me, any GM with options would not touch that with a 10 foot pole.

unless they know new GM wants to keep Rex, aka DeCosta and maybe even Ross. Gamble not sure.

unless they know new GM wants to keep Rex, aka DeCosta and maybe even Ross. Gamble not sure.

Which really means we are only hiring a GM who wants to keep Rex.

Way to narrow the pool of candidates Jets!

There is no way anyone is going to convince me this is not a complete debacle.

I would think the one positive of the Jets job is that they won 6 games in a down year and everyone treats them like they won 2. With a 3rd place schedule next year you could win 9 games and look like a genius.

Schedule differences among teams in the same division are very subtle these days.

The Jets won 6 games against very poor competition. The lone win against a team with a winning record was against the Colts.

The Jets will lose talent due to salary cap next year. 9 wins would be a very optimistic view, as we sit here.

Your anti-Rex bias is coloring your views here. IMHO, if Rex were to be fired and any number of these candidates were to land a GM job with another franchise, Rex would likely be on their short list of head coaching candidates.

Your anti-Rex bias is coloring your views here. IMHO, if Rex were to be fired and any number of these candidates were to land a GM job with another franchise, Rex would likely be on their short list of head coaching candidates.

That does not preclude that any new GM would necessarily want Rex as his coach

Rex is staying. Woody would have worded Press release different if new GM can axe Rex.

He would have said 'no personell moves until new GM hired and we will then evaluate all positions'

The Jets will lose talent due to salary cap next year. 9 wins would be a very optimistic view, as we sit here.

They're not really going to be losing much talent because of the cap. The problem comes when trying to acquire new talent. Just cutting Jason Smith and Bart Scott saves them nearly $20M. Calvin Pace is another $8.5M. Eric Smith is $3M. They have a little room to maneuver.

You may be right, but I just don't see that.

Rex was considered a candidate for years before we hired him, and he kept getting passed over every time.

Now, the main concerns have not only been proven true about Rex, but there are many, many unattractive qualities he brings to an organization.

I just don't see him as a real candidate.

I was listening one day to Philly talk radio, and Rex came up as a possibly available replacement for Reid, and it was universally rejected, strongly.

The New York Jets released a statement on behalf of recently terminated General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.  The statement appears below:

Statement from Mike Tannenbaum

I want to thank Woody and his entire family for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime — serving as the General Manager of the New York Jets for seven years.

I am incredibly grateful to have been a part of rebuilding a winning tradition for Jets fans over the past 15 years. My days with Coach Parcells through my years as General Manager of the team that went to back-to-back AFC Championship games have been the fulfillment of a dream I have had since I was a little kid and I’ll always be grateful to Woody, the two head coaches, Rex and Eric, as well as all of the players, staff and the entire organization for this opportunity.

While of course it is disappointing to not achieve the ultimate goal of winning a championship, I am incredibly proud of our overall winning record and success. I feel very fortunate to have been the general manager who drafted cornerstone players during a period that yielded four playoff victories and 22 Pro Bowl appearances.

I appreciate that it is rare for someone to stay with one organization with such a wide range of responsibilities for so many years. My time with the Jets will always be special to me and my family and it has prepared me well for whatever comes next.

There are champions on this team that haven’t been crowned yet. I am confident that the base we’ve established will allow the New York Jets to continue a winning tradition for years to come and I wish everyone in the organization the best of luck.

Jets fans are discussing this move and the Jets other possible replacement

Archived