Back to Back Non-Winning Seasons for the First Time Since Kotite

Gen X Jet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That too.

Both can't be true. You don't win 4 road playoff games with the worst QB in the league and a HC who's worse than Kotite. Even Parcells only had success when Vinny Testaverde was at his best. Same with Herm and Pennington. We've never had anywhere close to good QB play with Sanchez in there.

Both can't be true. You don't win 4 road playoff games with the worst QB in the league and a HC who's worse than Kotite. Even Parcells only had success when Vinny Testaverde was at his best. Same with Herm and Pennington. We've never had anywhere close to good QB play with Sanchez in there.

Those teams were loaded with talent. Since then Rex has slowly destroyed it. He is horrible at evaluating talent and even a worse leader. Sanchez is actually a better QB than Rex is a head coach. Both suck though. Don't confuse Rex's ability to coach a defense with his ability to be a head coach.

Those teams were loaded with talent. Since then Rex has slowly destroyed it. He is horrible at evaluating talent and even a worse leader. Sanchez is actually a better QB than Rex is a head coach. Both suck though. Don't confuse Rex's ability to coach a defense with his ability to be a head coach.

This is exactly right, dead on

1. Oh, so Rex buys the groceries?

2. Sanchez, bottom 5 in every statistical cateogory, is better than Rex, whose pass defense has ranked top 5 every season? The only area, statistically, that the Jets have been horrible in consistently is in passing offense. Wonder who is to blame for that.

3. Rex's ability to coach defense is something Herm and Mangini didn't have, yet you say they're both better. At least Rex can coach one side of the ball effectively. Those guys did neither, and are still both ESPN analysts. Rex will be in this league for a long time, either as a HC or DC. Sanchez will be carrying a clipboard or end up in the CFL.

I really want to know how much input Mangini and Rex had during drafts and free agency. If the coaches had a lot of input, it looks like Mangini had the eye for talent but was a crappy coach. Ryan on the other hand, has zero eye for telant but can coach (the defense at least).

2. Sanchez, bottom 5 in every statistical cateogory, is better than Rex, whose pass defense has ranked top 5 every season? The only area, statistically, that the Jets have been horrible in consistently is in passing offense. Wonder who is to blame for that.

3. Rex's ability to coach defense is something Herm and Mangini didn't have, yet you say they're both better. At least Rex can coach one side of the ball effectively. Those guys did neither, and are still both ESPN analysts. Rex will be in this league for a long time, either as a HC or DC. Sanchez will be carrying a clipboard or end up in the CFL.

1) Yes. Go back and read the articles and cute stories about how Rex needed to have Holmes, Greene, the Terminator ect. He certainly didnt draft or sign the core of the teams he took to those championship games.

2) Again, great defensive coach, terrible head coach.

3) Herm atleast knew he was a moron. Mangini was not given enough time, imho. Neither had two non winning season in a row.

I really want to know how much input Mangini and Rex had during drafts and free agency. If the coaches had a lot of input, it looks like Mangini had the eye for talent but was a crappy coach. Ryan on the other hand, has zero eye for telant but can coach (the defense at least).

If you go back and read the articles, Rex had his fingerprints on every move. He is a complete moron when it comes to talent.

It's been we'll documented that Rex wanted Sanchez, and Wilson.

He brought in Scott, raved about Haris, bitched about Rhodes, and wanted Holmes and Mason.

Rex has so much more to do with the personnel than people want to admit

1) Yes. Go back and read the articles and cute stories about how Rex needed to have Holmes, Greene, the Terminator ect. He certainly didnt draft or sign the core of the teams he took to those championship games.

2) Again, great defensive coach, terrible head coach.

3) Herm atleast knew he was a moron. Mangini was not given enough time, imho. Neither had two non winning season in a row.

1. Fine. Then Tannenbaum is rightfully getting fired for listening to Rex, a dumbass personnel evaluator. Doesn't mean that's supposed to be his job. Rex is there to coach the talent he's given, and he does a pretty solid job at that. Give him an average QB and he'd make the playoffs every single season.

2. Fine. He's still GREAT at something. Who was the last Jet HC you could say that about? How many coaches in the league can you say that about?

3. I don't think he did. I think Herm thought he was a capable HC. He wasn't. Meanwhile, Mangini was given the same amount of time that Rex has, and did less with it.

It's been we'll documented that Rex wanted Sanchez, and Wilson.

He brought in Scott, raved about Haris, bitched about Rhodes, and wanted Holmes and Mason.

Rex has so much more to do with the personnel than people want to admit

Exactly, Tannenbaum was fired for bad contracts, sparano, and most important, to get a new face in here to evaluate everything, including Rex. He was not fired for the talent, that is up to the head coach.

Exactly, Tannenbaum was fired for bad contracts, sparano, and most important, to get a new face in here to evaluate everything, including Rex. He was not fired for the talent, that is up to the head coach.

No its not. That's up to the GM and the scouting department. The HC can't spend his fall days watching college football gametape. If Rex had a ton of say in personnel, that doesn't mean it's all Rex's fault. It means Tannenbaum, Bradway and co. are really sh*tty at their jobs. It wasn't supposed to be Rex's job to begin with.

I don't know how I'd compare Rex to Mangini and Herm, all 3 are awful, but the latter 2 never lost locker rooms like this and certainly not to this degree. Herm was just a bad overall coach and never seemed to grasp how to manage a game, Mangini was just stubborn because he thought he was Belichick...Rex though, there are just so many issues that are all so weird. That's the only way to describe all this stuff. I truly think the guy just has some real mental issues. You watch him in these postgame conferences and it looks like he doesn't realize that he's speaking to adults with ears and eyeballs.

Sparano was all Rex, Rex raved about Sparano and how good a fit he was to the style offense he wanted to play.

Tanny was never put in GM role to be a traditional GM, he was put in for Mangjni to be a Paoli type.

Mangini was far better at talent evaluation than Rex.

Rex is atrocious as a talent evaluator, and a horrible leader. He is a very good defensive mind, but absolutely not a HC.

I don't know how I'd compare Rex to Mangini and Herm, all 3 are awful, but the latter 2 never lost locker rooms like this and certainly not to this degree. Herm was just a bad overall coach and never seemed to grasp how to manage a game, Mangini was just stubborn because he thought he was Belichick...Rex though, there are just so many issues that are all so weird. That's the only way to describe all this stuff. I truly think the guy just has some real mental issues. You watch him in these postgame conferences and it looks like he doesn't realize that he's speaking to adults with ears and eyeballs.

I will say this with confidence, if Mangini was still here, the team would much better than it is now.

Mangini was boring as fk, but he had a good plan and had a good eye for talent.

He would have needed good coordinators, and wanted to fire Schitty, but even Parcells needed good coordinators.

They would have been better off with Mangink than Rex.

1. Fine. Then Tannenbaum is rightfully getting fired for listening to Rex, a dumbass personnel evaluator. Doesn't mean that's supposed to be his job. Rex is there to coach the talent he's given, and he does a pretty solid job at that. Give him an average QB and he'd make the playoffs every single season.

2. Fine. He's still GREAT at something. Who was the last Jet HC you could say that about? How many coaches in the league can you say that about?

3. I don't think he did. I think Herm thought he was a capable HC. He wasn't. Meanwhile, Mangini was given the same amount of time that Rex has, and did less with it.

1) Even though most won't agree, I do agree that Rex gets the team to play hard for him. This year there was a HUGE lack of talent, again mostly to do with Rex's past decisions.

2) There are a ton of great coordinators that just cant be head coaches. I think that Rex is one of them unfortunately. I believe this because it seems like he can not fix problems. Rhodes was soft, he trades him. Holmes messes up, no more captains, assistants say stuff behind his back, deny it. ect. ect. ect He just doesn't handle these issues the way a head coach should. What happens if the next GM brings in another Rhodes? What would Rex do then? Could he coach him? The coach has to have heavy say in personnel. It just has to be that way.

3) Herm was a better head coach. Not by much - but he was. And Mangini was only given 3 years. I would have liked to see what he could have done in 2009.

No its not. That's up to the GM and the scouting department. The HC can't spend his fall days watching college football gametape. If Rex had a ton of say in personnel, that doesn't mean it's all Rex's fault. It means Tannenbaum, Bradway and co. are really sh*tty at their jobs. It wasn't supposed to be Rex's job to begin with.

The scouts narrow it down. Then Rex decides (see the story about Rex sitting in his office before the draft watching tape on a college LB when he discovered the Terminator) Ofcourse Rex doesnt attend UK games. Once the scouts narrow it down, Rex makes the final call. It has been this way since Parcells was here and it still is this way here.

The scouts narrow it down. Then Rex decides (see the story about Rex sitting in his office before the draft watching tape on a college LB when he discovered the Terminator) Ofcourse Rex doesnt attend UK games. Once the scouts narrow it down, Rex makes the final call. It has been this way since Parcells was here and it still is this way here.

Exactly right, so hard for jet fans to accept

I will say this with confidence, if Mangini was still here, the team would much better than it is now.

He would have needed good coordinators, and wanted to fire Schitty, but even Parcells needed good coordinators.

+100000000 Firing Mangini was a huge mistake. I would love it if the Jets could get him back in some capacity. He kind of got a raw deal here and in Ceveland.

There is no human being in the history of the entire world who is worse at their job than Sanchez is as an NFL QB.

No he didn't. If HC's are as responsible for talent evaluation as you say, he's responsible for Vernon Gholston.

It was a huge mistake, and Rex has made more significant And more mistakes, and somehow is loved, I guess his big mouth has fooled the jet fams

One bad pick out of a ton of good ones. Yes Vernon was his fault - but everyone misses a few.

You're not allowed to miss that badly on the 6th pick in the draft. Same reason why Tannenbaum is gone. Sanchez (5th pick).

Particularly under the old CBA when top 10 picks were so costly against the cap.

I agree from a roster standpoint. But I'm 100% confident that I would have stabbed myself in the face by now if Mangini had remained HC. Those games were the worst.

Archived