OFFICIAL: Jets win Super Bowl in home stadium thread

JOJOTOWNSELL

Lets get it started! Super Bowl at meadowlands next year, why not win it at home??!! who is feeling lucky for the ticket lottery!!??

After everything we have been through rooting for this team, I believe that would be the appropriate payback.

I think they have a chance, the defense will be top 5. Now can they find a way to score.

Would love for it to be so but you must consider some things first.

The following players are not presently under contract for 2013 without a new deal:

Mike DeVito

Bryan Thomas

Laron Landry

Yeremiah Bell

The following players are not presently under contract for 2014 without a new deal:

Darrelle Revis

Calvin Pace (even if doesn't get cut by agreeing to a major pay cut for 2013, he's still a FA in 2014).

The following will likely get cut to get us under the cap for 2013, due to the amount saved by cutting them by March 1:

Bart Scott ($7.15M)

Eric Smith ($3M; lol)

Sione Pouha ($3.83M; I say at least 50/50 he's cut this year). If he makes it through 2013 it's only a slim chance the Jets don't cut him to save $5.5M on their 2014 cap. And even if he somehow plays out his entire deal, in the 2014 season he'll be just a few months shy of his 36th birthday.

The only current first stringers who - as of today - look to be on the Jets in 2014 are Cromartie, Harris, and Wilkerson. Ellis and Coples and Davis weren't first string starters in 2012 but they are under contract for 2014.

They also need to acquire enough new players on offense to "find a way to score" as you put it.

So now name the starters on Bruce's imaginary top-5 defense for the 2014 Jets.

Would love for it to be so but you must consider some things first.

The following players are not presently under contract for 2013 without a new deal:

Mike DeVito

Bryan Thomas

Laron Landry

Yeremiah Bell

The following players are not presently under contract for 2014 without a new deal:

Darrelle Revis

Calvin Pace (even if doesn't get cut by agreeing to a major pay cut for 2013, he's still a FA in 2014).

The following will likely get cut to get us under the cap for 2013, due to the amount saved by cutting them by March 1:

Bart Scott ($7.15M)

Eric Smith ($3M; lol)

Sione Pouha ($3.83M; I say at least 50/50 he's cut this year). If he makes it through 2013 it's only a slim chance the Jets don't cut him to save $5.5M on their 2014 cap. And even if he somehow plays out his entire deal, in the 2014 season he'll be just a few months shy of his 36th birthday.

The only current first stringers who - as of today - look to be on the Jets in 2014 are Cromartie, Harris, and Wilkerson. Ellis and Coples and Davis weren't first string starters in 2012 but they are under contract for 2014.

They also need to acquire enough new players on offense to "find a way to score" as you put it.

So now name the starters on Bruce's imaginary top-5 defense for the 2014 Jets.

umm, the Superbowl is being played in NY next season, not the 2014 season, right???

Keep thinking where the JETS would be this season with even an average QB.

I know 6-10 feels like the end of the world but this team can come back pretty quick from it.

with sam bradford we're a playoff team. now i'm depressed

I honestly don't know. But I do know we're going to have a tough time putting a top-5 defense on the field in 2014.

What is it with this top 5 defense, who cares about that.....what was the Pats D rated at? 30th?

SE-

Secondary remains the same (YB and LL re-signed)

D-line will be Coples, Wilk, Ellis, Devito (re-signed),

LBs are the ?. Harris will be back unless we can find a trade partner. Your Pace analysis is correct...TBD on him. Bart and BT are gone. My guess on our first rounder if we don't trade down is that it will be spent on either a guy like Jordan (oregon) or Moore (TAMU) or maybe even on Manti

Poetic justice

Somehow someway this is going to happen....ok maybe here is how:

1. Mystery GM man, allows Rex to be HC while running the D.

2. Mystery GM man, signs Norv or Wiselhunt to run OC and I mean that guy is soley responsible of the O.

3. Mystery GM man, brings in (via Woody) Mike Vick to "compete" for QB position.

4. Mystery GM man, trades Tebow to Jacksonville for MJD.....

5. Mystery GM man, tells Sanchez get with the program and provide results.

Then,

Jets proceed to go 10-1 in the first 11 games of 2013.....only loosing to the Pats......

Finish the season 13-3, Highest ever in Jets history...First round bye and home field throughtout.

Defeat Jacksonville/Tebow in the Divisional round....

Defeat the Pats/Brady in the AFCCG....

Have home field in the SB and defeat the Giants........

Somehow someway this is going to happen....ok maybe here is how:

1. Mystery GM man, allows Rex to be HC while running the D.

2. Mystery GM man, signs Norv or Wiselhunt to run OC and I mean that guy is soley responsible of the O.

3. Mystery GM man, brings in (via Woody) Mike Vick to "compete" for QB position.

4. Mystery GM man, trades Tebow to Jacksonville for MJD.....

5. Mystery GM man, tells Sanchez get with the program and provide results.

Then,

Jets proceed to go 10-1 in the first 11 games of 2013.....only loosing to the Pats......

Finish the season 13-3, Highest ever in Jets history...First round bye and home field throughtout.

Defeat Jacksonville/Tebow in the Divisional round....

Defeat the Pats/Brady in the AFCCG....

Have home field in the SB and defeat the Giants........

There is no way Giants get to the SB. :)

I never said it was all-important. I was responding to someone boasting that we'd have one even though maybe 3 of our present defensive first stringers will be under contract in 2014.

But 2014 is unimportant for the purposes of this thread. The Super Bowl in NYC follows the upcoming season, not the 2014 season.

SE-

Secondary remains the same (YB and LL re-signed)

D-line will be Coples, Wilk, Ellis, Devito (re-signed),

LBs are the ?. Harris will be back unless we can find a trade partner. Your Pace analysis is correct...TBD on him. Bart and BT are gone. My guess on our first rounder if we don't trade down is that it will be spent on either a guy like Jordan (oregon) or Moore (TAMU) or maybe even on Manti

• In 2014, the year of this supposed "top 5 defense," Bell will be 36 and it's an unrealistic desire that he will still be a productive 16-game starter.
  • Landry is going to the highest bidder, which we probably can't afford to be. Injury-prone anyway to say the least. He was a great pickup for 1 year on the cheap (like Holmes was). He's a great talent and a big hitter but I don't know that it's wise to guarantee him tens of millions of dollars on a long-term deal.
  • DeVito is almost definitely going to a different team. We have too much invested in our DL already to re-sign him to a new deal.
  • Coples is not yet a starter. He's plenty talented but we'll see what he is as an every-down player when it happens.
  • Wilkerson is turning into a beast.
  • Harris is maybe average at this point and getting worse. He was already slow and he's gotten even slower.
  • Ellis has not shown he can last a full season. Even with Pouha out for 1/4 of the season, Ellis missed twice as many games (4) as he started (2) this year. How's he going to hold up when there's no Pouha starting 10+ games? No one knows. It would be awesome if he played 16 games but wishing it to be so 2 years in advance does not make it so.

I don't see re-signing and retaining all these players you've outlined (Revis, Landry, Bell, DeVito) as being realistic. This team has cap issues and needs to fill holes on offensive starters for QB, RB, WR opposite Holmes, TE, FB, RG, LG, RT. That's 8 starters plus a backup QB we need.

I see:

Front 7:

1. DE/DT Coples, assuming he develops as we hope
  2. NT Ellis, with durability issues (as many men his size understandably have)
  3. DE/DT Wilkerson
  4. Pass-rushing DE/OLB - ?
  5. ILB - Harris
  6. ILB/possible OLB - Davis, who was unable to unseat Bart Scott for the starting job
  7. OLB - ?

Secondary:

1. Revis - will probably be a FA unless he's traded first
  2. Cromartie - will be in the last year of his contract
  3. ? - Josh Bush?
  4. ?

I never said it was all-important. I was responding to someone boasting that we'd have one even though maybe 3 of our present defensive first stringers will be under contract in 2014.

Oh got it I thought you were banging the drum on that.....

Archived