Jonathan Vilma takes issue with Steve Spagnuolo report: 'We're not the Jets'

F.Chowds

New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma sounded off Wednesday morning about comments from an unnamed Saints player that said defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo should be fired.

Vilma wrote via Twitter about the player's comments saying, "don't give me 'anonymous source' bs" and "say who said it."

When asked by NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune for reaction to the player's comments, Vilma said Wednesday morning, "No. I'm bothered you reported it. We're not the Jets who run to the media for everything."

Then when asked if the player's comments were wrong, Vilma said, "That's not the question or the point. If he's man enough to tell you, he should be man enough to put his name on it. And you should do the same."

A Saints player told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Tuesday a "resounding" yes that Spagnuolo should be fired after the Saints (7-9) broke the record for most yards allowed in a season in NFL history and missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions (this season)," the player said. "It's bad."

The player added: "To give up what we gave up can't be all talent. Look at where his units (have) been ranked before. I think one top 10?"

The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks.

"Players have no say in anything," the player said. "It was (a) complete opposite from before where it was a simple D that players had lot of control and say. We couldn't suggest (expletive)...Nothing ever changed. It was his way only.

"Don't even get me started on lack (of) ability to adjust during games. Bad, bad, bad."

The player also said every position group on defense was frustrated with Spagnuolo's scheme all season. "(It was) tough putting on a supportive, everything-will-be-OK face, for you guys (the media) all the time," the player said.

The player said it wasn't just wasn't Spagnuolo's scheme that rubbed players the wrong way. It was Spagnuolo as a coach and a person.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. (Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things. (I) think it's even harder after having (former defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams), who guys enjoyed."

Saints interim coach Joe Vitt said Wednesday morning he did not have a comment on the report at that time. Attempts have been made to reach other members of the team for comment. We'll update the story as we get more information.

Vilma participated in a bounty program at both Miami and NO. For him to act like he's a model of virtue is ridiculous.

What does virtue have to do with it? Vilma's advocating that people own up to their comments to the press... or keep it in the locker room. Virtue has literally nothing to do with this.

I think Vilma has a right to be mad at Goodell about the bounty nonsense.Such behavior has been part of the NFL forever. There's zero evidence anyone was hit any harder nore tackled more fiercely because of any bounty. Vilma's interesting famliy life, another story.

But looking at the numbers on the Saints' defense, nobody should be surprised that Spagnuolo is looking at unemployment. And Vilma is right; the Saints defense sucks a whole bunch worse than the Jets' defense. If the Jets had figured out how to pry Brees away from NOLA last offseason the Jets would've won a whole lot more than 7 games. And Mike Tannenbaum might still be employed at Florham Park.

And there should be a lesson in there to who ever the new GM is; instead of bitching and mewling about what the Jets cannot do about the QB, figure out a way to get a real QB here.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nor/2012.htm

You know what's most pathetic of all? THE MEDIA

As long as their is demand for a sh*t product, then sh*t will be what is manufactured and sold. I blame the consumers.

It is why McDonald's is able to sell us death burgers.

As long as their is demand for a sh*t product, then sh*t will be what is manufactured and sold. I blame the consumers.

It is why McDonald's is able to sell us death burgers.

The McRib-packaging lips and asses and "fit for human comsumption" grade mystery meat isn't as good as when it's extruded into fake rib shape-

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/11-amazing-facts-about-the-mcdonald-s-mcrib-170212930.html

You know what is more pathetic that Vilma being right about this? Our fans getting butthurt at the fact that Vilma is right.

Who's getting butt hurt? If Mehta anonymous sources are real they should be cut/fired.

Vilma acting like he's better than the Jets is what I think is absurd. The guy was all over that Nevin Shapiro report detailing the Miami bounty program in addition to the one in place with the Saints. He's not in a position to judge.

Who's getting butt hurt? If Mehta anonymous sources are real they should be cut/fired.

Vilma acting like he's better than the Jets is what I think is absurd. The guy was all over that Nevin Shapiro report detailing the Miami bounty program in addition to the one in place with the Saints. He's not in a position to judge.

LOL

Did you wag your finger in the air while thinking "he's not in a position to judge" you pansy?

yap yap yap yap. He's one to talk. All he does talk. He's the rex ryan of the NFC

Difference is he matched P Manning audible for audible to help the Saints win the Super Bowl in 2009, without Vilma calling out those D Audibles Saints have no chance in that game.

This now our reputation with players around the league.

No, its a simple cheap shot from a former Jets player who's still pissed obviously. He took a shot a few days after winning the SB as well. Obviously the jets mean more to him than his success on another football team.

He said "The New YYYYYYorleans Saints" in an interview that I seen after winning the superbowl. He emphasized on the "Y" (York). Obviously the guys feelings are hurt and it pleases him to see the Jets doing terrible. Maybe he should stop the run for his team because they're looking terrible down in the bayou.

Archived