Top GM Candidate Gamble May Want Tomsula as Coach

JetNation

As many of you have heard, the Jets have been granted permission to talk to San Francisco’s Personnel Executive Tom Gamble for their open General Manager position.  Gamble has been in the NFL for 24 years.  He’s regarded as one of the best talent evaluators in all of the NFL.  He’s been directly responsible for assisting San Francisco’s GM Trent Baalke for the past two years drafting guys like Kyle Williams, Kendall Hunter, Mike Iupati and Aldon Smith.  Together they managed to lock up LB core of Navorro Bowman and Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL.com, Bill Polian personally endorsed Gamble as a great fit for the New York Jets:

Bigcatcountry.com, has stated that if Gamble gets a GM job this year, he wants to bring 44 year old Jim Tomsula with him to be the Head Coach.  Tomsula is the currently the 49ers defensive line coach.  He has also been the head coach one game when Mike Singletary was suspended (and won the game).  He has been a defensive coordinator overseas and Gamble believes he has a future as a Head Coach in the NFL.

This could go one of two ways for the New York Jets:

1.  The Jets bring in Gamble and tell him to bring Tomsula to take over as Defensive Coordinator this year, giving Rex Ryan a year to turn this around.  At the end of the 2013 season, they will evaluate Ryan again and make a decision.  If he gets fired Tomsula will be promoted to Head Coach.

2.  Woody Johnson tells Gamble that once he gets the job the Head Coaching position is up to him to decide.  Gamble’s first move could be firing Ryan, Sparano and other coaches and bring Tomsula in for the 2013 season as the Head Coach.  That won’t go over well with some fans, but it may be the best way if the Jets are looking to completely overhaul and rebuild.

As a fan and writer for JetNation.com, I love having Rex Ryan as a part of this organization.  His energy, passion and love for the game have made him a coach that players love to play for.  He instills a level of confidence in each individual player that makes them feel a sense of pride and they respect him for that.  However, if the new GM is looking to start from scratch Rex may be the first of many moves he makes.  Then again, he may want to keep Rex around for a year and then evaluate him.

It’s going to be a whirlwind week/weekend of interviews, but if Gamble gets the job, the Jets are already taking a step in the right direction to turn this organization around.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Therein lies the rub: if a top candidate will take the job only if they can hire their own coach, does Woody blink?

He has to at this point ,especially if he hears it form most of the Top candidates recommended by Polian/Search Firm.

he would look idiotic if he know she takes candidate #5 cause 1 thru 4 say No thanks to Rex as HC. I think the light will go on :)

He has to at this point ,especially if he hears it form most of the Top candidates recommended by Polian/Search Firm.

he would look idiotic if he know she takes candidate #5 cause 1 thru 4 say No thanks to Rex as HC. I think the light will go on :)

We shall see. You'd hope so, but Woody seems to be just that stupid.

We shall see. You'd hope so, but Woody seems to be just that stupid.

I actually think in the end, if all the MOST recommended candidates ask for Rex's head, then Footsie-Gate will creep back into Woody head.

He will think, do I not hire best candidates who all think a new HC is right call while another old Fetish video could emerge any day and make me fire him anyways?

I think number 2 is a possibility and no 1 is a non-starter. Rex is not turning his defense over to a stranger. The Jets will be hard-pressed to get the best candidate unless they let him hire and fire.

Not to mention Rex would be forced to turn his defense over to the guy who was brought in to take his job after a flop year in 2013. Don't see that as very realistic either.

Not to mention Rex would be forced to turn his defense over to the guy who was brought in to take his job after a flop year in 2013. Don't see that as very realistic either.

correct. If he came laterally as a Def Line coach then maybe. But longshot.

Therein lies the rub: if a top candidate will take the job only if they can hire their own coach, does Woody blink?

That is a concern.

It will be interesting to see if Gamble is comfortable with the idea of having his handpicked HC, with no real HC experience or NFL coordinating experience, be possibly tainted by a bad first season with the team in rebuilding mode.

The Jets could be a good job for Gamble as GM because he could rebuild from scratch, but initially a bad first HC job for Tomsula.

Or he comes in and gives Rex his 1more year and then brings in his own guy. Why let your picked guy take the wrap for next season

That's my point exactly.

Jets go 4-12 next year, it's best to have Rex be the HC and you fire him. Then hire your own guy with another high 1st rounder on the roster.

If I'm Tomsula, I don't want the Jets job right now.

Or he comes in and gives Rex his 1more year and then brings in his own guy. Why let your picked guy take the wrap for next season

The why would be to prevent someone else from offering him their HC gig first. But as just a DL coach I don't know how in demand he'd be - to GMs who don't know him as well as Gamble does - before showing his stuff as a coordinator for a year or more.

Coordinator to HC is tough enough (and often, if not usually, proves too tough for most); position coach to HC is even harder. It's what makes success stories like Harbaugh and Reid so unusual. Most of the time - if a GM is even willing to gamble his own reputation on one - you end up with a Herm or Mike Tice or Jim Caldwell or Raheem Morris.

That's my point exactly.

Jets go 4-12 next year, it's best to have Rex be the HC and you fire him. Then hire your own guy with another high 1st rounder on the roster.

If I'm Tomsula, I don't want the Jets job right now.

The Jets go 4 - 12 and the new GM/HC weed out who they want to keep.

Do you really want another year of Rexs press conferences?

The Jets go 4 - 12 and the new GM/HC weed out who they want to keep.

Do you really want another year of Rexs press conferences?

Who gives a sh*t about Rex's press conferences?

The Jets go 4-12 and this first time HC Tomsula could possibly be on the hotseat going into 2014 with the pressure of putting together a winning season. No GM or first time HC wants that.

2013 is the enema year. Get rid of bad contracts, get in young players, and let Rex take the fall.

You can't keep the old coach with a new GM that's worth anything. It's called good business practices 101.

What if the old coach is better than what New GM will bring in? Tomsula has a nice resume to be a DC. To be a HC? No, and this is all just speculation for the fire anyway.

i don't know how willing i'd be to take a guy who has never even been a coordinator and just throw him a head coach job to get gamble in as gm. if this guy gamble is only taking a gm job if he can have this guy tomsula as head coach i think i'd like to see woody say no to that. where does tomsula have the resume to just give him a HC gig?

Anyone find it funny that a GM candidate with ties to the Kotite years is being reported to maybe want to try yet *ANOTHER* first time HC or no dice? **** off then. Oooh you're the guy who figured out that Mike Iupati and Aldon Smith can play football - what a genius...The overrating of the outsider is about the only thing that will be annoying about this GM search.

Anyone find it funny that a GM candidate with ties to the Kotite years is being reported to maybe want to try yet *ANOTHER* first time HC or no dice? **** off then. Oooh you're the guy who figured out that Mike Iupati and Aldon Smith can play football - what a genius...The overrating of the outsider is about the only thing that will be annoying about this GM search.

Id hope we'd be going after guys in personnel depts that have had success finding players in rounds 3-7...where we have struggled

gamble seems like a good hire and outcome 1 seems more likely than outcome 2. the reason being money.

this board loves to spend OPM other people's money. To fire Rex, Woody has to eat 6 million. To dump Mark, Woody has to eat 8 million. that's 14 million dollars, doing something that will be free in a year.

let's get real. we don't want to spend 14 dollars, burning 14 million dollars is alot even for a billionaire.

i don't know how willing i'd be to take a guy who has never even been a coordinator and just throw him a head coach job to get gamble in as gm. if this guy gamble is only taking a gm job if he can have this guy tomsula as head coach i think i'd like to see woody say no to that. where does tomsula have the resume to just give him a HC gig?

Im pretty sure the Fins made out with this dumb logic...they just got lucky tho *gulp*

it was inevitable. those were 2 real good picks i wanted Iupati so bad that year

Id hope we'd be going after guys in personnel depts that have had success finding players in rounds 3-7...where we have struggled

I'm all about Packers or Steelers right now, two organizations that have done a pretty good job despite not having high draft picks for half a decade+.

gamble seems like a good hire and outcome 1 seems more likely than outcome 2. the reason being money.

this board loves to spend OPM other people's money. To fire Rex, Woody has to eat 6 million. To dump Mark, Woody has to eat 8 million. that's 14 million dollars, doing something that will be free in a year.

let's get real. we don't want to spend 14 dollars, burning 14 million dollars is alot even for a billionaire.

While I understand where youre coming from with this...you also have to factor in...

Rex/Sanchez = empty seats/blackouts

NewGM/HC = fans seeing the FO taking the necessary steps = tickets sold

Im sure Woody has a team of analysts figuring out which scenerios are more profitable.

Who gives a sh*t about Rex's press conferences?

All they are is distractions,

You think toesucker will go quietly? How about the new GM? You think he wants to listen to Rexs big mouth?

The Jets go 4-12 and this first time HC Tomsula could possibly be on the hotseat going into 2014 with the pressure of putting together a winning season. No GM or first time HC wants that.

BFD

The new GM makes is clear that the cap and team are a mess. Not even Woody is stupid enough to think 1 season is going to right the ship placing his HC on the hotseat. Its a 4 year plan. Why waste more time with Rexs mentality? Its stupid.

2013 is the enema year. Get rid of bad contracts, get in young players, and let Rex take the fall.

It is anyway.

Change the culture today. Only a moron is going to blame the new GM and HC for what Rex and Tanny did.

Archived