Top GM Candidate Gamble May Want Tomsula as Coach

JetNation

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not sure i know exactly what you mean here. what's the dumb logic? not wanting to give some guy who hasn't even shown he can be a successful coordinator our hc gig?

I was agreeing with you, and for a moment, not sure why, I thought Philbin was just an OL coach in GB....my mistake.

i'm not sure i know exactly what you mean here. what's the dumb logic? not wanting to give some guy who hasn't even shown he can be a successful coordinator our hc gig?

or I could have been talking about the Fins hiring of Sparano....but Id be lying if I said that, lol

BFD

The new GM makes is clear that the cap and team are a mess. Not even Woody is stupid enough to think 1 season is going to right the ship placing his HC on the hotseat. Its a 4 year plan. Why waste more time with Rexs mentality? Its stupid.

The problem with this is that no one will tune in for the games or buy merchandise.

"I love having Rex Ryan as a part of this organization. His energy, passion and love for the game..."

There is a perfect position that I am sure the Jets will be happy to hold open for Rex until 2014 -- replacement for Fireman Ed. Can't you just see it now?

i have no problem with bringing in a new head coach but i don't know that i'd be willing to let gamble dictate bringing this guy tomsula with him as the terms that make the deal. this guy tomsula has like no track record whatsoever that i can find. anyone know anything about him? best i can see is that he had a brief, mediocre tenure in nfl europe and has otherwise been a defensive line coach.

Who gives a sh*t about Rex's press conferences?

The Jets go 4-12 and this first time HC Tomsula could possibly be on the hotseat going into 2014 with the pressure of putting together a winning season. No GM or first time HC wants that.

2013 is the enema year. Get rid of bad contracts, get in young players, and let Rex take the fall.

ok but then why fire Tannenbaum?? Stupid Jets even suck at sucking the right way.

Seriously hire some fall guy within the organization for a year, cut and trade every big contract minus Mangold and Brick. Go 2-14.

Then get your guy.

ok but then why fire Tannenbaum?? Stupid Jets even suck at sucking the right way.

Seriously hire some fall guy within the organization for a year, cut and trade every big contract minus Mangold and Brick. Go 2-14.

Then get your guy.

why keep him? if you keep him and he wants to to try to sell out to keep his job he could try to mortgage the future of the team to make himself look good. tanny had to go.

why keep him? if you keep him and he wants to to try to sell out to keep his job he could try to mortgage the future of the team to make himself look good. tanny had to go.

fair enough. Bottom line this team is screwed. If they do this right it's only for one year. They do it wrong it could be another 4.

But what GM wants this mess?

IMO, if this Gamble dude insists on this no-name Tomsula guy, Woody is going to go in another direction.

I don't care what the story the media are driving, and they are driving an agenda to get RR out of town.

Woody has got to show some loyalty to a guy that brought the team as close to the SB as Bill Parcells, with a crap-ass QB.

Rex Ryan brought this franchise to almost as many Conference Championships in 4 years as the entire organization was able to get to in the almost 40 years prior!

Man, this is absolutely crazy.

What makes Gamble a top candidate besides the whole 49ers being the Texans of the NFC over the past 2 years? Super special tactics?

Get the Steelers guy in here.

The 49ers are hands down the most talented team in the NFL. They don't have an elite QB but other than that they are absolutely loaded. When healthy, the Jets have 3 or maybe 4 players at most that could start for the 49ers.

That is exactly what you want from your GM.

In this particular scenario, you bring in Gamble and Tomsula at a time when expectations are at near all-time lows, then give them a year to identify the 3/4ths of the roster that need to be flipped. Added bonus: 2013 gets to be a redshirt year for Tomsula to figure out how to be a head coach. I'm assuming Gamble would be smart enough to hire coordinators with some experience to help mentor his young HC--maybe then you get the Norv Turner/Chan Gailey-type hire at OC.

As for this idea of keeping Rex around to staple a bad 2013 to on his way out the door, that only works if Woody hires a Casserly or Polian--somebody with enough political capital to have earned a throwaway season while intentionally going 2-14. No young GM wants to go into his first four-year rebuild having to forfeit a full season. New York has turned on Rex as hard as it's turned on Sanchez. He's a negativity magnet right now, and there aren't enough Ryan Lindley's on the schedule next year to turn that around.

fair enough. Bottom line this team is screwed. If they do this right it's only for one year. They do it wrong it could be another 4.

A GM that can come in and rebuild his way.

The team isnt screwed, but its going to be painful for awhile until the mess is cleaned up.

Tomlin was a defensive guy, but the Steelers changed to throwing the ball. Isnt Pete Caroll more of a defensive guru?

yes but Big Ben was developed previously. and besides the Steelers didn't do regime change. That was a succession plan. big difference.

The bg problem i have with all of this is i am tired of regime change. you get a guy that brings us some success, but the QB is one of the worst ever, couldnt even start for a Big East team, and we have to win despite him. give him red-yellow-green wristbands. it is insane. they missed on sanchez, but you can't fire RR for that. You keep a guy that wins despite having the most turnover prone, worst rated QB in the NFL.

Pete Carroll? IDK what that guy is. A cheerleader?

Archived