Jets interim football operations being run by GM Scott Cohen, former GM Terry Bradway

Jets interim football operations being run by assistant GM Scott Cohen, former GM Terry Bradway

As the Jets various roster moves have come out -- the signing of reserve/future contracts, basically -- a few of you have asked a great question: Who, exactly, is making these moves while the team searches for a new general manager?

This may seem obvious, but since I heard from a few of you on Twitter, figured we'd hash it out here: Former GM and current senior personnel executive Terry Bradway and assistant GM Scott Cohen.

Woody Johnson and his executive search firm Korn/Ferry will begin GM interviews on Friday, but in the meantime, Cohen and Bradway have maintained control of football operations.

Bradway was the team's general manager from 2001-06 and Cohen joined the team as assistant GM in 2008 after eight seasons as the Eagles director of pro personnel.

The Pro Football Writers Association rescinded their formal complaint to the NFL regarding the Jets not making Rex Ryan available to the media within a week of the season ending, a violation of the NFL media policy.

The Jets will have Ryan speak on Tuesday, nine days after the end of the year.

"The PFWA is satisfied that the New York Jets are following the spirit of the rules in making their executives available on Tuesday,” the statement from the PFWA read in part.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com; twitter.com/ConorTOrr

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/jets_interim_football_operatio.html

Ugh... get Bradway out. How long has he been part of this franchise and involved in scouting? How long have we gone without find a QB?

I'd bet anything that the entire front office, from Bradway on down (outside of maybe some of the lower level scouts), will be retained through April to help out with the draft, with the new GM obviously bringing along some guys of his own. If you're the new GM, you're obviously not going to give them any major say in the picks, but there would be too much ground to make up in just 3 months without at least retaining some of these guys, even with having all of the scouting reports. After that, all bets are off.

I'd bet anything that the entire front office, from Bradway on down (outside of maybe some of the lower level scouts), will be retained through April to help out with the draft, with the new GM obviously bringing along some guys of his own. If you're the new GM, you're obviously not going to give them any major say in the picks, but there would be too much ground to make up in just 3 months without at least retaining some of these guys, even with having all of the scouting reports. After that, all bets are off.

ive seen other organizations change GMs and most of the scouting guys stay. some fans think that fire the guy at the top and everyone else down to secretary is gone, but it's not really like that.

ive seen other organizations change GMs and most of the scouting guys stay. some fans think that fire the guy at the top and everyone else down to secretary is gone, but it's not really like that.

Yeah, I'm sure a bunch of the guys could stay long term, as it's not exactly like the Jets would have the freedom to go out and sign every scout from the old team of wherever our new GM is coming from anyway. That said, I could easily see a new GM wanting Bradway out after he gets what he needs from him for this draft though. But I suppose you never know.

Yeah, I'm sure a bunch of the guys could stay long term, as it's not exactly like the Jets would have the freedom to go out and sign every scout from the old team of wherever our new GM is coming from anyway. That said, I could easily see a new GM wanting Bradway out after he gets what he needs from him for this draft though. But I suppose you never know.

If the new GM comes from the scouting community, he'll have a pretty good crop of names he'll want to bring in, simply from spending time on the road with scouts from other teams. IMO, the only way Jets personnel men survive is if the new GM knows that they're good at what they do, which is awesome.

This is exactly what I expect. New GM will bring some of the draft work his future previous team has done, but he's going to be relying on the Jets current staff pretty heavily, too - at least for this draft.

This is exactly what I expect. New GM will bring some of the draft work his future previous team has done, but he's going to be relying on the Jets current staff pretty heavily, too - at least for this draft.

The only thing a newly hired GM, but currently employed personnel guy would require from a Bradway is the self-scouting of the Jets current personnel. If the Jets guys survive until the draft, it will only be to prevent them from taking proprietary property (read: college scouting that Woody has paid for) to whatever teams pick them up post-firing from the Jets.

Edited by T0mShane
The only thing a newly hired GM, but currently employed personnel guy would require from a Bradway is the self-scouting of the Jets current personnel. If the Jets guys survive until the draft, it will only be to prevent them from taking proprietary property (read: college scouting that Woody has paid for) to whatever teams pick them up post-firing from the Jets.

Good points.

I expect them all to stick 'til after the draft, but once it's over, it's hard to imagine new GM wanting Bradway telecommuting, or Cohen in the building. He'll hire his own lieutenants, but a lot of the soldiers will probably remain.

• Upvote 1

If the new GM comes from the scouting community, he'll have a pretty good crop of names he'll want to bring in, simply from spending time on the road with scouts from other teams. IMO, the only way Jets personnel men survive is if the new GM knows that they're good at what they do, which is awesome.

I don't disagree with you in the long term, but I wouldn't expect that to all happen immediately, as soon as the new GM is hired. Keep in mind there will probably be plenty of guys the new GM will want that he's not going to be able to get, at least not right away.

I think it really is a combination of both actually. In the end the GM is going to have the final say on things, so it's not like there's some great harm to having these guys around in the short term, so you might as well not throw away any value they may be able to provide. Just given the way the NFL works, I'm sure there's guys out there that the Jets scouts have put a lot of work into researching that the incoming GM has never even looked at. Plus, I'm sure the GM could see it as an opportunity to evaluate the potential some of these guys have for the future of his staff.

At the same time, I don't doubt that the current team (starting with Woody) would like to keep these guys from going anywhere before this draft, as they've got just about all of the scouting info for this year's crop outside of senior bowl, combine and pro days.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to defend Bradway, but wasn't there a report floating around after the draft that he was really high on Russell Wilson but the Seahawks picked him up? He's not totally inept, at least enough to throw the organization into a tailspin as a temporary stopgap until the new GM is found.

How hard is it to be a scout....its like being a weatherman it seems and you get to watch football all day.

How rampant is the nepotism with scouting?

Chris Landry, a former scout, hosted a radio show on one of the networks, and he would get asked this all the time. Basically, it's an awful life. You start off making $18k per year driving around the Midwest to scout community colleges and D-II, sending reports to area scouts who then take the credit if any of the guys you find end up in camp. Just to get that sh*tty job, he said that you have to spend a few years coaching in the college ranks and, through networking and dumb luck, your name ends up in front of a personnel director when they need info on a player from the conference you're coaching in.

Chris Landry, a former scout, hosted a radio show on one of the networks, and he would get asked this all the time. Basically, it's an awful life. You start off making $18k per year driving around the Midwest to scout community colleges and D-II, sending reports to area scouts who then take the credit if any of the guys you find end up in camp. Just to get that sh*tty job, he said that you have to spend a few years coaching in the college ranks and, through networking and dumb luck, your name ends up in front of a personnel director when they need info on a player from the conference you're coaching in.

So basically there are no Evan Roberts in NFL scouting depts.

How hard is it to be a scout....its like being a weatherman it seems and you get to watch football all day.

How rampant is the nepotism with scouting?

this is a great question and It's tough to be a scout. alot of these guys work out of a bag for 270 days a year. And a holiday inn is a good hotel alot of the time it's super 8. they get a territory like the midwest and are at college practices/games all over their territory. the salaries are not great and the best perk is all the team merch you can wear. to be a guy like bradway actually have a voice in the draft room, takes decades of experience. sometimes they make thousands and thousands of reports and a dude like Parcells puts em in the garbage can and does what he wants. every year they are on the verge of being fired but these aren't like rex ryan salaries. more like a teacher.

there are 2 types of scouts; Ex players ( old black dudes) and ivy league math types (young white dudes). You'll see mean joe greene making content and the guy with the laptop next to him barely shaves and wearing khakis, went to exeter and dartmouth.

either way its' a tough gig. tons of competition and alot of gossip and in fighting. working for an NFL team is kinda like working for military and/or a big dysfunctional fraternity. tons of group-think. Most of the time they go with the crowd cause to make a bad call and stick out is an easy way to get fired. I don't envy the scouts.

Edited by bitonti

this is a great question and It's tough to be a scout. alot of these guys work out of a bag for 270 days a year. And a holiday inn is a good hotel alot of the time it's super 8. they get a territory like the midwest and are at college practices/games all over their territory. the salaries are not great and the best perk is all the team merch you can wear. to be a guy like bradway actually have a voice in the draft room, takes decades of experience. sometimes they make thousands and thousands of reports and a dude like Parcells puts em in the garbage can and does what he wants. every year they are on the verge of being fired but these aren't like rex ryan salaries. more like a teacher.

there are 2 types of scouts; Ex players ( old black dudes) and ivy league math types (young white dudes). You'll see mean joe greene making content and the guy with the laptop next to him went to exeter and dartmouth. either way its' a tough gig. tons of competition and alot of gossip and in fighting. working for an NFL team is kinda like working for military and/or a big dysfunctional fraternity.

did you get into it with the hope of landing somewhere or was it purely a hobby? Has your outlook changed at all?

did you get into it with the hope of landing somewhere or was it purely a hobby? Has your outlook changed at all?

another great question i guess when i first started 10 years ago there was a tiny hope to do it professionally. but that didn't last long. I don't see how these guys can have work life balance or carry on normal human relationships. like everyone else in the league they work crazy hours and are rewarded for obscene levels of effort. going on no sleep is expected. but even with the bad salary and the tough hours, you can make a huge discovery and then have to keep it to yourself and pass it up the chain (someone else gets credit). Or too scared to say anything and bury it, cause that's the safe play. There are alot of good ole boys in scouting, literally from SEC country. The whole league is like that. Look at Roger goodell that's their guy. Culturally it's a wonder bread group of people that love the old days and don't want to think progressively. which is a shame because scouting is more of an art not a science. i don't think there's alot of nepotism but the road to promotion is pretty much null. alot of these scouts are what they are and that's it.

Edited by bitonti

another great question i guess when i first started 10 years ago there was a tiny hope to do it professionally. but that didn't last long. I don't see how these guys can have work life balance or carry on normal human relationships. like everyone else in the league they work crazy hours and are rewarded for obscene levels of effort. going on no sleep is expected. but even with the bad salary and the tough hours, you can make a huge discovery and then have to keep it to yourself and pass it up the chain (someone else gets credit). Or too scared to say anything and bury it, cause that's the safe play. There are alot of good ole boys in scouting, literally from SEC country. The whole league is like that. Look at Roger goodell that's their guy. Culturally it's a wonder bread group of people that love the old days and don't want to think progressively. which is a shame because scouting is more of an art not a science. i don't think there's alot of nepotism but the road to promotion is pretty much null. alot of these scouts are what they are and that's it.

funny you say that considering Polian came out and said Moneyball doesnt work in the NFL- as there are no undervalued players...

Edited by Matt39