How keeping Rex might AID in our GM search

Sperm Edwards

Yes, I may be reaching, but consider the totality of the Jets situation.

We have a terrible cap situation. We have half our starters either free agents or, due to bloated 2013 salaries, will be cut within the 2 months at the latest. We have no QB. We don't even have a backup QB. Our best offensive player is famous for being a superdouche and is mega-paid and uncuttable until next season. Our best defensive (and overall) player is coming off a season-ending ACL injury and is only under contract for one more year (and can't be franchised). Our pro bowl safety has said the Jets get no discount and he's going to the highest bidder, which we probably can't afford to be. This season is most likely going to be a failure.

So if you're a GM interested in the Jets job, but realize (or believe) that '13 is going to be pretty crappy, which would you choose?

a) The ability to blame the incumbent HC, with the public knowing (or at worst, believing) that he was forced upon you. Plus Rex is such a lightning bolt for press, and has such a big mouth, the blame for 2013 will fall squarely on Rex. The after year 1 he's easily fired (if that's your wish) and you can bring in your hand-picked guy with a clean slate.

b) Bring in your own hand-picked guy to coach a (most likely) sure-thing failure in year 1. If things don't turn around fast, you will be held more responsible for a year-one failure that was unavoidable whether Rex or a newbie took over as the 2013 HC.

In general, I agree that any incoming GM would want his own HC. But if year one is such a mess (from a GM's standpoint), but you still want the job - especially because of the gobs of cap space and latitude you'll have just 1 year into the job? It's not that inconceivable that said new GM would want the ability to not have to shoulder a greater portion of the responsibility for that year 1 failure. Particularly if you get to play it off like you never wanted Rex in the first place, which is believable enough.

If the Jets weren't in this hideous cap and talent scenario, then I agree Rex might be a hindrance for a GM who wants his own guy as HC sooner or later. But in our situation? I don't know that inheriting Rex is such a negative for him. The press already sees Rex as a negative and the press will render the new GM totally blameless for year 1.

Just a thought, anyway.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a good thought, but the GM's #1 pick will likely be employed next year, so it's a gamble (sorry, lol)

I'm looking at the next 2 years as the knicks "summer of lebron" of whatever they called it

we gonna suck until sanchez' contract is off the books and holmes and scott and pace and oh god.......

Was the Dolphins first season under Philbin a disaster?

The Dolphins weren't in cap hell and they were able to draft what they think is their QB of the future last year. That player doesn't exist in this year's draft

No. No it wasn't. It was considered a positive year, considering the happenings in NY.

Word. If the new coach is worth anything, he'll find a way to get something from a bad roster. If Rex stays one year and the inevitable full-on mutiny takes place, I just don't see how that's a positive for a new GM.

Was the Dolphins first season under Philbin a disaster?

Philbin didn't have greater than 50% of the Dolphins starting roster not under contract in a season they had no cap room and not even so much as a backup QB. Oh yeah, and the QB prospects this year supposedly suck ass.

Really, this situation is pretty unique. The light at the end of the tunnel is being the GM in 2014 without a lame-duck 2013 GM screwing up future years to try to save his own skin. So at least we got the firing Tannenbaum part right.

A new GM isn't as invested in hating Rex as much as many here are. At the very worst, he'd see Rex as an incompetent clown (if he even feels that way at all). If 2013 is a mulligan year, why set up yourself and your own guy to take blame for it?

Looking at the situation as a non-Jets fan, being force-fed Rex for 1 season might be a good thing because this force-feeding is public.

Maybe.

The Dolphins weren't in cap hell and they were able to draft what they think is their QB of the future last year. That player doesn't exist in this year's draft

Wasn't Miami the only tem who thought that highly of their rookie QB and that was because of Sherman.

Philbin didn't have greater than 50% of the Dolphins starting roster not under contract in a season they had no cap room and not even so much as a backup QB. Oh yeah, and the QB prospects this year supposedly suck ass.

Really, this situation is pretty unique. The light at the end of the tunnel is being the GM in 2014 without a lame-duck 2013 GM screwing up future years to try to save his own skin. So at least we got the firing Tannenbaum part right.

A new GM isn't as invested in hating Rex as much as many here are. At the very worst, he'd see Rex as an incompetent clown (if he even feels that way at all). If 2013 is a mulligan year, why set up yourself and your own guy to take blame for it?

Looking at the situation as a non-Jets fan, being force-fed Rex for 1 season might be a good thing because this force-feeding is public.

Maybe.

I'm with your thinking (I snidely proposed the same scenario last week), but I just think that the new GM doesn't have as much to gain by conceding a full year of his tenure. The new coach needs to get here and start identifying who he wants to keep moving forward and who he needs dumped, especially if he's going to bring in different philosophies on O and D. You're going to blame Rexenbaum for what happens next year, anyway.

We have a terrible cap situation. We have half our starters either free agents or, due to bloated 2013 salaries, will be cut within the 2 months at the latest. We have no QB. We don't even have a backup QB. Our best offensive player is famous for being a superdouche and is mega-paid and uncuttable until next season. Our best defensive (and overall) player is coming off a season-ending ACL injury and is only under contract for one more year (and can't be franchised). Our pro bowl safety has said the Jets get no discount and he's going to the highest bidder, which we probably can't afford to be. This season is most likely going to be a failure.

So if you're a GM interested in the Jets job, but realize (or believe) that '13 is going to be pretty crappy, which would you choose?

a) The ability to blame the incumbent HC, with the public knowing (or at worst, believing) that he was forced upon you. Plus Rex is such a lightning bolt for press, and has such a big mouth, the blame for 2013 will fall squarely on Rex. The after year 1 he's easily fired (if that's your wish) and you can bring in your hand-picked guy with a clean slate.

b) Bring in your own hand-picked guy to coach a (most likely) sure-thing failure in year 1. If things don't turn around fast, you will be held more responsible for a year-one failure that was unavoidable whether Rex or a newbie took over as the 2013 HC.

In general, I agree that any incoming GM would want his own HC. But if year one is such a mess (from a GM's standpoint), but you still want the job - especially because of the gobs of cap space and latitude you'll have just 1 year into the job? It's not that inconceivable that said new GM would want the ability to not have to shoulder a greater portion of the responsibility for that year 1 failure. Particularly if you get to play it off like you never wanted Rex in the first place, which is believable enough.

If the Jets weren't in this hideous cap and talent scenario, then I agree Rex might be a hindrance for a GM who wants his own guy as HC sooner or later. But in our situation? I don't know that inheriting Rex is such a negative for him. The press already sees Rex as a negative and the press will render the new GM totally blameless for year 1.

Just a thought, anyway.

Colts went from "suck for Luck" to playoffs.

Never assume that years must be thrown away on the path to rebuild. I've said it many times before here, "rebuilding" is a PR campaign rolled out by NFL front offices most commonly in hindsight after they realize the season has not met expectations.

Nobody comes into a season planning to lose while they "assemble" the parts for a future winner. The entire premise of that is stupid. Any owner, GM, coach will take ugly wins with a dash of luck and good fortune over losses and explaining that it is a rebuilding year.

I agree with some of your premise about why Rex being retain would be an attraction to some GM candidates... however, if having a contingency plan for failure in year 1 is top of mind for the GM candidate, then I don't want that guy in the job. I want someone that thinks and wants to win now and win with what we have and what he can add to the team, immediately.

Colts went from "suck for Luck" to playoffs.

Never assume that years must be thrown away on the path to rebuild. I've said it many times before here, "rebuilding" is a PR campaign rolled out by NFL front offices most commonly in hindsight after they realize the season has not met expectations.

Nobody comes into a season planning to lose while they "assemble" the parts for a future winner. The entire premise of that is stupid. Any owner, GM, coach will take ugly wins with a dash of luck and good fortune over losses and explaining that it is a rebuilding year.

I agree with some of your premise about why Rex being retain would be an attraction to some GM candidates... however, if having a contingency plan for failure in year 1 is top of mind for the GM candidate, then I don't want that guy in the job. I want someone that thinks and wants to win now and win with what we have and what he can add to the team, immediately.

Custer believed he could win at Little Big Horn. Guys with concussions believe they can still play.

You start rebuilding now. You cut dead weight so they don't hinder years you could be competitive if only there was another $5-10M in cap space. If the guys we're rebuilding with mature quickly then that rebuilding season doesn't need to be a failure. But one needs to know what the likely conclusion is no matter what one desires.

Tannehill isn't at the same level as the 3 great rookies QB's this season. There could easily be a few QB's in this year's draft better than him...

Yeah, this is a complete reach.

First, this reeks of a meddling owner. Bad, bad news, think Snyder, think Jerry Jones. No GM wants to deal with that crap.

This is magnified by the fact that the entire free world, right or wrong, believes that Woody pushed for Tebow, and the GM who brought him in is now gone.

Second, any smart GM realizes that the window in todays NFL is very, very short.

If a new GM has to keep Rex, he will realize that it is a huge risk, and effectively his hands are tied from a system standpoint for at least a year. I don't care what anyone says, you draft and sign players that you think will fit your systems.

Basically by keeping Rex, you are committing to players that fit his style of defense, and offense.

Meaning, you lose a full year in your very small window.

Any GM worth anything at all will realize this is an absolute awful situation, and I will not be happy with any GM we get in this situation, because it means they are not likely to be any good.

Yeah, this is a complete reach.

First, this reeks of a meddling owner. Bad, bad news, think Snyder, think Jerry Jones. No GM wants to deal with that crap.

This is magnified by the fact that the entire free world, right or wrong, believes that Woody pushed for Tebow, and the GM who brought him in is now gone.

Second, any smart GM realizes that the window in todays NFL is very, very short.

If a new GM has to keep Rex, he will realize that it is a huge risk, and effectively his hands are tied from a system standpoint for at least a year. I don't care what anyone says, you draft and sign players that you think will fit your systems.

Basically by keeping Rex, you are committing to players that fit his style of defense, and offense.

Meaning, you lose a full year in your very small window.

Any GM worth anything at all will realize this is an absolute awful situation, and I will not be happy with any GM we get in this situation, because it means they are not likely to be any good.

It's not unusual at all for new GM's to be stuck with old coaches. It's not really that clueless by Woody standards.

It's not unusual at all for new GM's to be stuck with old coaches. It's not really that clueless by Woody standards.

I disagree, and I think it's even worse in this situation, given NY and Woodys reputation as a bad owner.

It's not unusual for a coach to be kept, but it is unusual for the forced keeping of the coach. The right way to do it is to say the new GM makes the call.

Just a thought, anyway.

Have to chose option A, especially knowing the owner wants the HC back for at least one more year. The new GM still has to look at the long-term and with the Jets there are many decisions that ultimately lead to a sub-par 2013. Not to mention the fact that the top end of the 2014 NFL looks quite promising.

Gig em.

Not for nothing but resign Landry an make the right draft pick at 9 at OLB an this defense is pretty nasty for 2013. Just keeping things honest here.

It will be, which means we will be 8-8 or 9-7, keep Rex, never get a QB or an offense, and stay in the 6-9 to 9-7 Range he'll that will be Rex, yay!

Just a thought, anyway.

I agree.

GM gets a "free" first year, with very little accountability.

If things go more South next season, he gets to clean house underneath and do it his way.

Sort of a "no lose" situation, unless Woody has a tatoo of Rex in a green tie and glasses on his arm and is married to the buffoon long term regardless.

Not sure what's worse: that you put in the effort to type this stupid post, or that you felt the need to go back and add to this stupid post.

The same can be said for 99.999% of your posts. You did make a good post...once.

Just a thought, anyway.

I agree. I threw out a lot of these same points as reasons new GM might want to keep Rex on, before it was trotted out that Woody was mandating it.

Excuse for failure aside, it gives the new GM a chance to evaluate the talent on the team, as well as the talent of the coaches under contract coaching them. It's also one less thing he has to do. He needs to handle a lot of immediately pressing cap issues and free agency all while putting together his front office and preparing for the draft. it's a lot. Having the head coach and at least half the team's staff in place makes the initial transition a little easier.

Any improvement in 2013 is seen as a great success for new GM, and any failure is blamed on a soon-to-be outgoing head coach. It's not a terrible position to be in.

Archived