If Jets sign GM Gamble how you think QB situation plays out?

SouthernJet

Guessing time.

If we get Gamble how you think the QB mess plays out?

Some might think this means Alex Smith to Jets. Other side may say 'Hey Smith knows Gamble was part of group that drafted him, BUT, also part of group that decided to bench him'.

I think Gamble doesnt want to allow second guessing on Smith if he fails with Jets.

I think he may opt for Matt Moore and then either a Kaepernick-like pick he likes later in this years draft or wait until 2014 when there is more talent there.

As far as Sanchez, I think keeping Rex is enough, and Mark 'may' will be cut (if they cant trade him for 6/7th round pick and Woody eats Cap). It will be very hard to move on if Mark still on Team in any capacity, Cap be damned.

Alex Smith. Then we draft a kid this year or next to groom, but assume Alex makes us a playoff team for next 3 years.

More importantly we get back to building a beast OL, the key to any successful offense that even an average veteran QB can thrive behind.

Alex Smith will probably be too expensive for the Jets whether Gamble wants him or not.

The Matt Moore-type / high-mid draft pick makes the most sense for next year. Then position yourself to make a big splash at the position in free agency or the draft in 2014.

JETS should be looking at:

1. Moore

2. Campbell

3. Orton

I am not sure about the contract situations of these guys but if available they can be brought in for reasonable prices and be stop gap for a season or two. I do understand they are average or slightly above average. But on this team that will be a HUGE upgrade!

I think the Moore/whatever journeyman scenario is the best option long term. Smith would be better but the idea here is someone inexpensive to hold the fort until the cap purge is complete and we can go get some skill position upgrades in 2014. Hold the fort at quarterback, get a linebacker early and try to get an upgrade somewhere on offense in the second and middle rounds.

Hopefully, he brings in an experienced OC and, after sending Rex to Punta Cana, Gamble and the OC sit around the adult table and decide whether Tyler Wilson/Geno Smith/Tyler Bray are worth pursuing. May as well start the rookie next year.

or wait till 2014 if they think 2 or 3 better candidates and a poor Jets 2013 record will allow that option in 2014 draft..it will be fun for sure to watch..

or wait till 2014 if they think 2 or 3 better candidates and a poor Jets 2013 record will allow that option in 2014 draft..it will be fun for sure to watch..

I would give Gamble credit if he told Woodrow that 'hey, everyone knows your roster, you are gonna suck next year. Lets not waste 2013 cash chasing a potential 8-8 at best record'

JETS should be looking at:

1. Moore

2. Campbell

3. Orton

I am not sure about the contract situations of these guys but if available they can be brought in for reasonable prices and be stop gap for a season or two. I do understand they are average or slightly above average. But on this team that will be a HUGE upgrade!

I liked Orton last year but pretty sure he signed a two-year deal with the Cowboys.

Or wait till 2014 if they think 2 or 3 better candidates and a poor Jets 2013 record will allow that option in 2014 draft..it will be fun for sure to watch..

I can't believe that a younger GM candidate will have the patience to dump his first year in hopes of drafting a QB in 2014. I hope Gamble drafts a QB this year and next until he gets The One.

I can't believe that a younger GM candidate will have the patience to dump his first year in hopes of drafting a QB in 2014. I hope Gamble drafts a QB this year and next until he gets The One.

Whoever plays next year is in the tank and I'm all for taking a QB if they deem one worth it. God knows I'd rather pierce my testicles with hot needles every Sunday then suffer through another season of a Sanchez/Rex collaboration. If not I'd rather they trade down or finally try and get us a real pass rush threat.

So is it safe to say that we all think Sanchez is going to be on this roster next season?

I think new GM will try to come up with a way to get Sanchez off the roster. He may not be able to, but he's gonna try.

The wastes of space currently at the Jets QB position all need to be gone. Beyond that, I do not want to see the Jets go anywhere near Smith. It's not that I think he's all that bad, but the truth is he's not all that good either and he is absolutely not worth a long-term or big money contract, both of which he will be seeking. In the end, he isn't good enough to be the true answer at the QB position and the Jets have pissed away enough of their years on guys like that and they don't need to do it anymore. All they need at this point is someone to hold the fort while they go and try to find the guy who can (hopefully) be this team's long term answer, and not someone they will have to make any sort of serious commitment to do that.

Guessing time.

If we get Gamble how you think the QB mess plays out?

Some might think this means Alex Smith to Jets. Other side may say 'Hey Smith knows Gamble was part of group that drafted him, BUT, also part of group that decided to bench him'.

I think Gamble doesnt want to allow second guessing on Smith if he fails with Jets.

I think he may opt for Matt Moore and then either a Kaepernick-like pick he likes later in this years draft or wait until 2014 when there is more talent there.

As far as Sanchez, I think keeping Rex is enough, and Mark 'may' will be cut (if they cant trade him for 6/7th round pick and Woody eats Cap). It will be very hard to move on if Mark still on Team in any capacity, Cap be damned.

Gamble left with no offer from Jets, the Jets still want to interview Ross, and 2 others 1st before committing, smartest thing they have done IMO, need to see what others have to offer before jumping on 1st crush that comes your way.

jets get a smith, sanchez to SF on the real cheap to backup kaepernick

perfect sitch

Except the 9ers know what they are doing and want no part of Sanchez. And the Jets shouldn't want any part of Smith either. He's mediocre and will never be anything more than that. Look at the Texans/Bengles game of mediocre QB's today and Smith isn't even as good as those guys.

Alex Smith. Then we draft a kid this year or next to groom, but assume Alex makes us a playoff team for next 3 years.

More importantly we get back to building a beast OL, the key to any successful offense that even an average veteran QB can thrive behind.

Agree with half of this, draft top OL prospects minimum of 3 early, cut bait with Holmes, Sanchez, ect. get all cap space possible for 2014, and start McElroy even after drafting a QB in 2nd-4th round, and start the suck for JohnnyBridgeClown campaign alla 2011 Colts! Turn the 2014 team over to either QB, or take Clowney IF you found the future R Wilson type in the middle of this years draft.

I can live with trading down in the first round and taking an OL with an extra 2nd round pick. Not at 9.

That would prob be the plan UNLESS the TA&M, or Michigan kids fell in our lap at 9, it would be tough to pass on either TBH, but unlikely to happen.

Doesn't matter if Suckchez is on the roster or not, the Jets can't start this loser again next year.4 yrs is too much with this inept butthole at this so important position anymore,and I think management knows that.Smith,Flynn anyone but Sanchez next year,he's a bust and thats that,just put this nightmare behind them.The Jets aren't that far away,the defense is play-off ready but that pathetic offense will wear a defense down barely scoring 14pts a game.How many 3&outs could a defense take.I hope this new GM tells Rex sorry Sanchez is out,tat or no tat.

Smith will not be cheap because so many teams need a QB.

Signing him would be a big mistake, he's average, nothing more.

The fact that he lost his job to a second year QB on a team expected to compete for a SB should tell us everything we need to know.

Archived