Potential hires from GM Gamble

SouthernJet

If those guys are still under contract, Im pretty sure the only way they can go to a different team is if they get a promotion. Moving to a different team in the same position isnt allowed. Atleast is wasnt under the old CBA.

agree

If those guys are still under contract, Im pretty sure the only way they can go to a different team is if they get a promotion. Moving to a different team in the same position isnt allowed. Atleast is wasnt under the old CBA.

I think Tomsula is a DL coach so it wouldn't be a lateral move

I think Tomsula is an DL coach so it wouldn't be a lateral move

Correct, it would be a promotion for him. But since we've invested heavy in DL the past 2 drafts it is a bonus that he was DL coach previously, like Rex.

DC - Tomsula (currently DL coach, rumored as Gamble's HC prospect would be in-house replacement for Rex next year)

TE - Delanie Walker, he'd be a much needed blocking, pass-catching weapon for us, should be a FA this off-season.

QB - Alex Smith, would be a solid starter who passes for accuracy, low turnovers for next 3 years while prospects are drafted and developed, immediately solves QB problem if we get this year's version. Would need to trade for him.

S - Dashon Goldson, We will need a safety again... This guy can play, should still be a FA.

Tomsula. Are we really embracing this guy? Flavor of the month coaches who haven't held the position you're potentially hiring them for are a bad idea. Rex, mangini, Edwards...at least these guys were successful coordinators at some point and yet they still flopped

I'll embrace whatever this guy wants to go with if hired. I'd just be so excited to have a GM with higher football IQ and a better track record then the posters on JN because the last guy didn't.

Tomsula. Are we really embracing this guy? Flavor of the month coaches who haven't held the position you're potentially hiring them for are a bad idea. Rex, mangini, Edwards...at least these guys were successful coordinators at some point and yet they still flopped

No we are mentioning him. Eventually they will hire him then we will embrace, fondle and insist he is taking us to the promise land. Way before he even starts. Oh yes.

Actually, the promotion thing was in the old CBA. Now, coaches are only guaranteed the ability to move if they're being offered a head coaching position. Of course, San Francisco could grant him permission, but it's entirely up to them.

Of those three, only Rex was a successful coordinator. Mangini was a DC pretty much in name only for Belichick for a single season, and Edwards was skipped over the coordinator level.

DC - Tomsula (currently DL coach, rumored as Gamble's HC prospect would be in-house replacement for Rex next year)

TE - Delanie Walker, he'd be a much needed blocking, pass-catching weapon for us, should be a FA this off-season.

QB - Alex Smith, would be a solid starter who passes for accuracy, low turnovers for next 3 years while prospects are drafted and developed, immediately solves QB problem if we get this year's version. Would need to trade for him.

S - Dashon Goldson, We will need a safety again... This guy can play, should still be a FA.

Isn't Alex Smith supposed to get cut this offseason because of his crazy contract?

Isn't Alex Smith supposed to get cut this offseason because of his crazy contract?

Not sure, but I highly doubt Gamble will bring in a guy he drafted and then lost his job. (Sanchez anyone).

He leaves himself way to open to 'what didnt you learn in SF' talk if Smith falters.

I could see Matt Moore and a sleeper pick in draft.

He's making 7.5 next year. I could see a team giving something up then restructuring a longer term deal. I don't think he's worth giving anything up for, the offense we'd surround him with is laughable compared to SF's and I don't think he's anything special.

I'm more interested to see whom Gamble flushes out, personally. Sparano, Bradway, Pettine, etc.

Bradway will be first fired IMHO as he needs ZERO input from anyone,its his area of expertise LOL.

Coach firings will take a wee bit longer..

Not sure, but I highly doubt Gamble will bring in a guy he drafted and then lost his job. (Sanchez anyone).

He leaves himself way to open to 'what didnt you learn in SF' talk if Smith falters.

I could see Matt Moore and a sleeper pick in draft.

Agreed with Moore and maybe a Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Aaron Murray with a later pick

Bradway will be first fired IMHO as he needs ZERO input from anyone,its his area of expertise LOL.

Coach firings will take a wee bit longer..

Matt Cavanaugh needs to be a day one firing, we couldn't have possibly been worse off going into the last 4 seasons with no QB coach at all.

Matt Cavanaugh needs to be a day one firing, we couldn't have possibly been worse off going into the last 4 seasons with no QB coach at all.

Firing Cavanaugh isn't going to be enough.

#Public_Flogging

We're talking about Tomsula going from DL coach to DC under Rex. Then being on-staff if needed to take over for Rex in the future. Since this is the guy Gamble is rumored to favor as a HC candidate, it's just being logical about the impending circumstances of hiring a GM under the mandate of keeping Rex.

Not all first-time coaches flop, we just happen to be on a run of 3 for our Jets. The assumption is Gamble has better qualification and judgement for how to choose a head football coach than Woody and Tanny.

We're talking about Tomsula going from DL coach to DC under Rex. Then being on-staff if needed to take over for Rex in the future. Since this is the guy Gamble is rumored to favor as a HC candidate, it's just being logical about the impending circumstances of hiring a GM under the mandate of keeping Rex.

Not all first-time coaches flop, we just happen to be on a run of 3 for our Jets. The assumption is Gamble has better qualification and judgement for how to choose a head football coach than Woody and Tanny.

If Pettine is flushed, Thurman would get the gig. You can't bring an heir apparent who runs a different scheme and give him control of Rex's D. He'd be a puppet.

Rex didn't allow Thurman to interview with the Raiders for their DC opening so it stands to reason he was given some assurances he'll be promoted once Pettine is gone.

Rex, Norv, Thurman, and Ben Kotwica who has been studying under Westoff for years... those will likely be your coaches.

I think Tomsula is a DL coach so it wouldn't be a lateral move

yes it would.

As far as the NFL is concerned there are HCs and not HCs. If you go from Line Coach or DC, that's lateral in the NFL's view.

Let Rex pick his coaches.

yes it would.

As far as the NFL is concerned there are HCs and not HCs. If you go from Line Coach or DC, that's lateral in the NFL's view.

Let Rex pick his coaches.

Going from position coach to coordinator, which is what people are suggesting, is in fact a promotion. Not a lateral move.

Rex picked Sporano.

I think that makes you 100% incorrect. LOL

He didn't "lose his job". He was outstanding at his job and got hired here. He was never fired.

Archived