Buffalo Bills hire Doug Marrone as HC

Integrity28

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bills have hired Doug Marrone for their head-coaching vacancy.

Marrone turned Syracuse's football program around and has extensive NFL experience, having coordinated the Saints' offense from 2006-2008 and overseen the Jets' offensive line from 2002-2005. He's also received strong reccomendations from the likes of Bill Parcells, Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton. In Buffalo, he'll be faced with turning around an offense that has been in the Top 20 just once since 2004. The Bills also interviewed Oregon's Chip Kelly on Friday and former Bears coach Lovie Smith on Saturday before ultimately agreeing to a deal with Marrone.

I'm pretty surprised by this. I know he was talked about as a candidate, but figured Whisenhunt or Lovie would nab this job.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont hate the pick, but to choose him over Lovie Smith is a head scratcher. However, Marrone can build a defense as well. SU shut down some legit teams this year.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Bills are getting a cheap coach with name recognition from SU, which is like Central/Western NY's version of Notre Dame.

I dont hate the pick, but to choose him over Lovie Smith is a head scratcher. However, Marrone can build a defense as well. SU shut down some legit teams this year.

He hired Scott Shafer to be the DC and handed the controls on that side of the ball completely to him. Shafer is being talked about as Marrone's replacement at SU. As a Cuse fan/alum, Im just hoping Marrone isn't able to bring Shafer along with him.

Is this the sort of high end candidate we're missing out on by not firing Rex?

No.

Bruce Arians was the guy I wanted us to go after, him, or Lovie Smith. Otherwise, I'm good with Rex staying put. I didn't want another rookie HC.

He hired Scott Shafer to be the DC and handed the controls on that side of the ball completely to him. Shafer is being talked about as Marrone's replacement at SU. As a Cuse fan/alum, Im just hoping Marrone isn't able to bring Shafer along with him.

Interesting. I wouldnt want to see them lose the DC either then. Thanks

I get it, if the Bills' primary focus on offense. Smith has proven that no matter how much talent was added to the offensive side of the ball, his teams struggled to be mediocre.

According to Schefter on ESPN this morning, Marrone was the most sought after coach, ahead of Chip Kelly, for the teams left with openings.

I like that he was working under Sean Payton when he was with the Saints. I also like that it's a fresh new face here, not a retread that's already been canned from a NFL head coaching gig.

He managed to take a horrendous college program like Syaruce and get them into bowl games and winning them. They were in the bottom of FBS before he got there. He also has head coaching expierence because of it.

We could have done a lot worse. Not sure what true better options there were. Lovie Smith has missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons, and his offenses are embarassing. He has plenty of flaws too. Chip Kelly can't make up his mind, and now Cleveland has given up on him.

My daughter goes to Syracuse.

Sorry to see him go ... thought he had the program turned in the right direction. SU played pretty well this year and could have easily won 2 more games against some top teams.

Nassib to Bills? :winking0001:

I've heard people here talking about us taking Nassib. Is anyone actually projecting him to go first round?

I'm pretty surprised by this. I know he was talked about as a candidate, but figured Whisenhunt or Lovie would nab this job.

That's what you get for thinking they'd do the smart thing. There's a reason they haven't made the playoffs this century.

My daughter goes to Syracuse.

Sorry to see him go ... thought he had the program turned in the right direction. SU played pretty well this year and could have easily won 2 more games against some top teams.

Nassib to Bills? :winking0001:

That's the thinking out here. Should be interesting to see how this move effects their draft .

According to Schefter on ESPN this morning, Marrone was the most sought after coach, ahead of Chip Kelly, for the teams left with openings.

he was in play for the Eagles' job too

this is the state of the HC market. Marrone is a hot name.

Rex Ryan is a very good NFL head coach. especially when you measure him against his peers (not Parcells... or mythical offensive savior that's gonna turn Sanchez or Mike Glennon into Johnny Unitas)

Archived