Buffalo Bills hire Doug Marrone as HC

Integrity28

he was in play for the Eagles' job too

this is the state of the HC market. Marrone is a hot name.

Rex Ryan is a very good NFL head coach.

I don't understand how you reached this conclusion. He's a very good NFL coach, he has in no way proved he's a good HC to this point.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard people here talking about us taking Nassib. Is anyone actually projecting him to go first round?

I don't think so ... not that high ... middle rounds maybe.

As I said, my daughter is a freshmen there, so I watched alot of their games, even went to the Pitt game at the Dome, as that was Parents Weekend. I was kind of impressed with Nassib this year. He made some big mistakes early in the season, but he got much better as the season went on. He essentially carried their offense for most of the year running "up tempo", no huddle. Lots of zone reads in the running game, west coast based passing game... pretty efficient.

As far as his potential in the Pros, I question the arm strength a little bit and the ability to squeeze throws into tighter windows in the pros, but he's a very gutsy kid who's much better than people thought when the season started.

Probably later rounds, 3rd or 4th or later.

I don't think so ... not that high ... middle rounds maybe.

As I said, my daughter is a freshmen there, so I watched alot of their games, even went to the Pitt game at the Dome, as that was Parents Weekend. I was kind of impressed with Nassib this year. He made some big mistakes early in the season, but he got much better as the season went on. He essentially carried their offense for most of the year running "up tempo", no huddle. Lots of zone reads in the running game, west coast based passing game... pretty efficient.

As far as his potential in the Pros, I question the arm strength a little bit and the ability to squeeze throws into tighter windows in the pros, but he's a very gutsy kid who's much better than people thought when the season started.

Probably later rounds, 3rd or 4th or later.

I've seen him mocked to the Jets in the second. If he does well at the combine, he could do better than that. Once QBs get some buzz going, they generally move up quickly.

I've seen him mocked to the Jets in the second. If he does well at the combine, he could do better than that. Once QBs get some buzz going, they generally move up quickly.

Agreed. Possible he could go as high as 2nd if he impresses at combine, although I still think he's a stretch in the first two rounds.

I like the kid though, thought he played well when it counted and games were on the line ... lots of comebacks too.

he's 34-30 WL with 4-2 in the playoffs, in this league, that's very good.

After 4 years with the Jets, Herm had a better regular season record than Rex, sometimes you need to look beyond the stats.

Sanchez also has the same or almost the same record as a starting QB in the NFl, he's not very good, to put it mildly

this guy was 25-25 in college

yeah, the Bills are still a bargain-bin shopping team :biggrin:

See this is just ignorant and uniformed.

25-25 is better than 10-37 (what they were before him), right?

Going from the 102nd ranked recruiting class, to the 73rd is good, right?

Finishing with the 21st ranked offense in the fbs is good right?

He took the 82nd best qb in the 08 recruiting class, a two star prospec,t and made him into a first rounder. Not bad, right?

I"m not overly excited about what he's done though, it is impressive, I'm excited that they stayed ahead of the curve and hired a coach who has he potential to be great. That is what excites me about Marrone is that we are seeing him at the very beginning of what I think will be a great career for him.

It's not our usual retread like Gailey or Jauron.

After 4 years with the Jets, Herm had a better regular season record than Rex, sometimes you need to look beyond the stats.

Sanchez also has the same or almost the same record as a starting QB in the NFl, he's not very good, to put it mildly

Herman Edwards was such a hot coaching name that Carl Petersen tampered with the Jets to get him to go to KC. I'm not the one who makes the standards for what is considered "good" by the league. Rex is good by the league's standards. He has a great defense and many head coaches don't have anything great.

Is he good by Jets fan's standards, that's another question. While I can sympathize with wanting nothing but the best, sometimes I think we as fans lose perspective. the perfect is the enemy of the good. This is entertainment and being a Jets fan is like betting a number at the roulette wheel. You're 33-1 to win. And we get mad when it doesn't happen.

Stoped there

it happened dude. not only did Herm get another job, he was interviewing for it before he got fired from NY. In other news Im real sorry the Jets didn't fire Rex and miss out on the Doug Marrone era. But don't worry there's still time to get Tomasula.

See this is just ignorant and uniformed.

25-25 is better than 10-37 (what they were before him), right?

Going from the 102nd ranked recruiting class, to the 73rd is good, right?

Finishing with the 21st ranked offense in the fbs is good right?

He took the 82nd best qb in the 08 recruiting class, a two star prospec,t and made him into a first rounder. Not bad, right?

I"m not overly excited about what he's done though, it is impressive, I'm excited that they stayed ahead of the curve and hired a coach who has he potential to be great. That is what excites me about Marrone is that we are seeing him at the very beginning of what I think will be a great career for him.

It's not our usual retread like Gailey or Jauron.

dude if you think this guy is going to make any changes to your even-worse-than-the-jets franchise then you are mistaken my friend

the guy would still be available in a month and was on nobodies radar for a reason

it happened dude. not only did Herm get another job, he was interviewing for it before he got fired from NY. In other news Im real sorry the Jets didn't fire Rex and miss out on the Doug Marrone era. But don't worry there's still time to get Tomasula.

Yup, and it was odd Bit.

Jet fans hated him yet he was sought still by KC/others.

BUT, my buddy who lives in Kansas was saying all his friends (seas tix holders) were PISSED from Day One cause they knew he sucked.

Sometimes fans know more than execs.

Reading this for two minutes trying to figure out which way you were arguing.

The more I read about this hire for the Bills the more I think it was possibly a good idea on their part.

It's amazing that you can't credit the coach with that record when you look at the QB he's had to work with for four years.

Herm had Testaverde and Pennington, and even Brooks Bollinger was probably better than anyone on the Jets today. There's just no comparison.

You're 33-1 to win. And we get mad when it doesn't happen.

Bit, that is absolute rubbish.

You have it sound like winning is some form of lottery, and that you win when your numbers come up.

It is not like that at all. Winning is a combination of planning and adept maneuvers and execution with a little bit of luck thrown in. It is about having a plan.

This current regime of jets (or at least the half that is left regarding maneuvers and execution), are not excellent at that. rex is a good coach, but not a great coach.

As well, as Bill Parcells tells us, coaches have a shelf life. Rex is one of those coaches that has a short shelf life, based on his frailties in leadership and over-loyalty.

we witness that manifested in player moves and ultimate leadership. More so, we see it in declining results.

Do not give us this "winning is a 33-1 shot. Pure tripe

It's amazing that you can't credit the coach with that record when you look at the QB he's had to work with for four years.

Herm had Testaverde and Pennington, and even Brooks Bollinger was probably better than anyone on the Jets today. There's just no comparison.

You can't separate the coach from the QB. The coach was the biggest proponent of drafting the qb. The coach has had his staff nurture and mentor the qb. The coach was a part of recommending that the qb get extended. The coach would not bench the qb.

They are part of the same equation.

You can't separate the coach from the QB. The coach was the biggest proponent of drafting the qb. The coach has had his staff nurture and mentor the qb. The coach was a part of recommending that the qb get extended. The coach would not bench the qb.

He was loyal to Sanchez for too long. Should've had a legitimate backup option this year and the extension never should've happened. I'd say there's some joint responsibility there with the guy they fired.

That said, if Rex had Testaverde and Martin his first season, he would've won the Super Bowl.

He was loyal to Sanchez for too long. Should've had a legitimate backup option this year and the extension never should've happened. I'd say there's some joint responsibility there with the guy they fired.

That said, if Rex had Testaverde and Martin his first season, he would've won the Super Bowl.

Football evaluation can't take place like that. Coaches coach and are evaluated on how they performed with the players they have.

Any coach in the league could substitute 2 prime positions and say "if I only had x and y, I would win the SB".

It is the mantra of the loser.

Rex gets half the credit when the Jets were doing well, and gets all the blame when things go badly. I guess that’s always the way with a coach so obviously favouring one aspect of the game, and even moreso for a guy who likes to run his mouth, but it’s still quite ridiculous to think he’s solely responsible for everything that happened with Mark Sanchez.

I blame Brett Favre for it all. The ****.

Football evaluation can't take place like that. Coaches coach and are evaluated on how they performed with the players they have.

Any coach in the league could substitute 2 prime positions and say "if I only had x and y, I would win the SB".

It is the mantra of the loser.

Rex didn't say it, I did. And I am -by definition- a loser, having rooted for this team for over 40 years.

Rex gets half the credit when the Jets were doing well, and gets all the blame when things go badly. I guess that’s always the way with a coach so obviously favouring one aspect of the game, and even moreso for a guy who likes to run his mouth, but it’s still quite ridiculous to think he’s solely responsible for everything that happened with Mark Sanchez.

I blame Brett Favre for it all. The ****.

Pretty sure that it was Rex's name attached to "2 consecutive AFCCG's". We know this, because he told us so. And he deserved the credit he got in getting the Jets there (although, I wish he had not treated that Patriot win like the SB, and had the team prepared in Pittsburgh).

In the same vane, he has to take responsibility for the mess that this team is in right now, as he has earned that also.

And that is where we are today.

Wanna associate? I'm sure you'd be a good poster if you weren't so angry all the time.

You either were not paying attention, or were not here, but I actually garnered votes as "biggest homer" on this site for many years. And that was the approach that I took.

This current regime, Rex primarily, has my blood curdled. The seeming lack of leadership and ineptitude has left me with a total distaste for his brand.

I can't way to get someone new in place to actually care about the team that I like to root for again.

Pretty sure that it was Rex's name attached to "2 consecutive AFCCG's". We know this, because he told us so. And he deserved the credit he got in getting the Jets there (although, I wish he had not treated that Patriot win like the SB, and had the team prepared in Pittsburgh).

In the same vane, he has to take responsibility for the mess that this team is in right now, as he has earned that also.

And that is where we are today.

I actually agree to an extent.

I think the main "mess" we're in right now is down to whoever gave Sanchez that extension, and decided Tebow was the best viable option to challenge. They ****ed us up not only for the season, but have ****ed up the most important position on our team as well as our cap space. I highly doubt Rex negotiated that, even if he did have a say in it. Those are some of the worst moves in the modern day history of the league.

The sad thing about Rex is that his inadequacies are so blatantly obvious, more so because of the attention he draws on himself. His strengths as a football coach aren't nearly as such, particularly when the talent level dipped as dramatically as it did in recent years. I still think he's got a ton to offer any team and I'd like to think he'll show it next season.

Forget separating the two or making excuses for Rex, the entire argument originally being made against Rex, which slats was responding to, was that he must be worse than his record, and the sole reason given was that because Sanchez has nearly the same record. I can't imagine you'd agree, no matter what you think about Rex, that a HC putting up a winning record with the league's worst QB somehow proves that HC to be even worse simply because of that fact. The entire argument is completely devoid of any logic whatsoever.

None of this is to say you have to think Rex is even slightly good as a HC, but there's a world of difference between that and saying that the worse the QB a HC works with, the worse that must automatically make the HC in question. Slats point was to at least give Rex credit for what he's actually accomplished, regardless of how good or bad you may find that to be, as logic would dictate that doing so with worse players would make it a more difficult accomplishment, not an easier one.

You either were not paying attention, or were not here, but I actually garnered votes as "biggest homer" on this site for many years. And that was the approach that I took.

This current regime, Rex primarily, has my blood curdled. The seeming lack of leadership and ineptitude has left me with a total distaste for his brand.

I can't way to get someone new in place to actually care about the team that I like to root for again.

I've actually noticed this change in your tone.

Its amazing that you don't blame the coach for drafting Sanchez, starting him too early, ignoring the offense, saddling the team with piss poor offensive talent.

Whether the Rex lovers want to admit it or not, Sanchez as a Jet is on Rex, from the draft, to the lack of development, it's all on Rex. Even if you want to say Sanchez never had any talent, that too is on Rex, right down to sticking with him as the worst QB in the league, all on Rex.

And no matter how good of a defensive mind Rex is, and he is very good, this team will never, ever win big with Rex because Sanchez was a 5-8 year setback for this franchise.

Forget separating the two or making excuses for Rex, the entire argument originally being made against Rex, which slats was responding to, was that he must be worse than his record, and the sole reason given was that because Sanchez has nearly the same record. I can't imagine you'd agree, no matter what you think about Rex, that a HC putting up a winning record with the league's worst QB somehow proves that HC to be even worse simply because of that fact. The entire argument is completely devoid of any logic whatsoever.

None of this is to say you have to think Rex is even slightly good as a HC, but there's a world of difference between that and saying that the worse the QB a HC works with, the worse that must automatically make the HC in question. Slats point was to at least give Rex credit for what he's actually accomplished, regardless of how good or bad you may find that to be, as logic would dictate that doing so with worse players would make it a more difficult accomplishment, not an easier one.

As usual, your wrong.

The argument was that a good record does not automatically imply good coach.

Do you ever get tired of looking like an ass monkey on these boards?

Archived