Gamble to Jets? Not so fast - Cimini

jetscanes331

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19859/gamble-to-jets-not-so-fast

The Jets' search for a general manager may have hit a snag.

The early favorite, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, will interview Tuesday with the Chargers, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday night. Earlier Sunday, there were reports that Gamble had pushed back back his Chargers interview, fueling speculation that a Gamble-Jets deal was on the horizon.

That apparently isn't the case.

In the meantime, the Jets are said to be focused on another candidate. It's not clear if that person is Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell, whom they interviewed Friday, or the two candidates slated to meet Monday with team officials -- Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross.

Caldwell reportedly is a leading candidate for the Jaguars' GM vacancy. Unless there's a mystery candidate, the Jets must interview Ross to satisfy the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate.

Perhaps this latest twist is posturing on the part of the Jets -- and Gamble, for that matter.

This much is known: From the outset, the Jets were prepared to expand the search if they weren't blown away by someone in the first round of interviews. If they go that route, they could try to re-connect with Packers director of football operations John Dorsey. He was on their original interview list, but the situation turned fluid amid reports he was headed to the Chiefs.

Another possibility is Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine, a former Jets player and scout who comes with Bill Parcells' stamp of approval.

Not sure what's going on here. We may screw this up yet.

Sounds like the Jets are in the driver's seat and dragging their feet. I know they can't do anything til they interview Ross on Monday, but still don't like Gamble talking to other teams.. Can't imagine who the jets could have in mind - considering they only interviewed Caldwell who is probably going to Jacksonville.

The Chargers are planning to hire a new general manager before they move on to finding their next head coach and they should reach the end of that process in the next few days.

That was the message from team president Dean Spanos, who said that the team’s road trip to interview candidates over the last few days has left them close to making a decision about who will take over the job vacated by A.J. Smith.

“The process is winding down. As you know, we’ve been on the road the last few days and just returned to San Diego,” Spanos said, via the team’s website. “It was a productive trip as we were able to meet with a number of people in a short period of time. Hopefully we can make a decision within the next day or two.”

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the team’s current director of player personnel Jimmy Raye and Colts vice president of football operations Tom Telesco are considered the top two candidates for the job. Acee also reports that Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is “at or near” their list of coaching candidates whether or not Telesco winds up getting the G.M. post.

Since when is Gamble the next sure fire can't miss GM? Did I miss something does he have 4 SB teams he put together? All these young up, and comers are GAMBLE'S! Let's not act like WE know the difference between his potential GM ability, and someone like Ross. As long as we don't hire from within I'll be ok.

. Acee also reports that Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is “at or near” their list of coaching candidates whether or not Telesco winds up getting the G.M. post.

Can someone please translate this? Arians is "at or near" a list of candidates? WTF does that even mean?

Perhaps at or near the TOP of the list? If so I'll be bummed. I really think Arians is going to be an excllent head coach in this league. Add to that the fact that he helped develop P. Manning, Rothlisberger, and now Luck...the guy has a solid record. And he coached the Colts into the playoffs from the worst record in the league last year as a stand-in.

Can someone please translate this? Arians is "at or near" a list of candidates? WTF does that even mean?

Perhaps at or near the TOP of the list? If so I'll be bummed. I really think Arians is going to be an excllent head coach in this league. Add to that the fact that he helped develop P. Manning, Rothlisberger, and now Luck...the guy has a solid record. And he coached the Colts into the playoffs from the worst record in the league last year as a stand-in.

Steelers fans considered Arians an idiot who did not design, plan, or call the proper plays for their QB and roster. It was a great day to see that clueless ninkompoop go away for them so he could ruin another offense.

Other theory is that this is being fed to press and floated to gauge fan reaction to news of potentially getting someone other than Gamble. Not outside of Woody's realm of derpitude.

IMO, Korn/Ferry is spreading rumor to improve the Jets position, and Gamble's agent is countering.

Since when is Gamble the next sure fire can't miss GM? Did I miss something does he have 4 SB teams he put together? All these young up, and comers are GAMBLE'S! Let's not act like WE know the difference between his potential GM ability, and someone like Ross. As long as we don't hire from within I'll be ok.

Great post and I think sums everything up nicely.

By my count, the Jets haven't interviewed anyone but Gamble to this point. Since Heckert cancelled.

I think Cimini is just making sh*t up to get some clicks before the Tuesday press conference.

Didn't you read the article? They interviewed Caldwell on Friday and have two interviews scheduled for today. Try and keep up.

Didn't you read the article? They interviewed Caldwell on Friday and have two interviews scheduled for today. Try and keep up.

No. I didn't, I come here and read the over-reactive estrogen wars to find out what's going on. See... reading 2 vageen sentences from you to find out what's up was a lot was easier than wasting my time with a whole article.

Thanks.

Hey, anybody think of this possibility: the interview with Ross is more than just to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Ross happens to be an outstanding candidate and talent evaluator who has been running the Giants drafts the last several years and has done an amazing job.

I bet nobody thought of that.

I don't think the Jets want to give the impression that this is a done deal while they still have to negotiate a contract with him and while they have yet to interview the minority candidate. I remember in the past, teams getting in big trouble for holding a sham of a minority interview when they have already decided who to hire.

Hey, anybody think of this possibility: the interview with Ross is more than just to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Ross happens to be an outstanding candidate and talent evaluator who has been running the Giants drafts the last several years and has done an amazing job.

Of course it is, this Rooney rule crap only came up within the past few days after the rumors started that the Jets had all but finished signing Gamble to a contract. Ross is a top candidate and one of the first guys the Jets went after to schedule an interview with. I'm sure they're legitimately interested in him. It's just the media being their normally douchey selves.

Well, obviously no one on JN thought of it...

More likely everyone that thought of it, considered it a given that everyone else had thought of it, and you are just the slowest here now patting yourself on the back for getting caught up with the obvious.

More likely everyone that thought of it, considered it a given that everyone else had thought of it, and you are just the slowest here now patting yourself on the back for getting caught up with the obvious.

I know but Ross happens to be an outstanding candidate and talent evaluator who has been running the Giants drafts the last several years and has done an amazing job.

No. I didn't, I come here and read the over-reactive estrogen wars to find out what's going on. See... reading 2 vageen sentences from you to find out what's up was a lot was easier than wasting my time with a whole article.

Thanks.

The article was practically the same length as the vageen sentences.

patience is a virtue

anger is a gift

That is a GREAT point. I don't know why nobody else had come to that conclusion prior to this.

I dunno if using those three guys is an example of his coaching skills, especially Manning. That's like me coaching Jordan and getting credit for him being the GOAT. A blow up doll could coach those Hall of Fame guys.

Archived