Running Backs: On the Move?

Integrity28

It's not intentional, I know that's the way it comes off, but to get out of the mess the GM inherits, IMO the easiest, and fastest way possible is to cut bait with anyone not in your future plans that would hurt your franchise beyond 2013, so that means cutting all the players that will have HUGE dead cap hits like Sanchez, and Holmes, and in return you have no resources other than the draft, and about 7 returning starters to work with, so it would be really difficult to build a successful product on the field in 2013 with the cap mess, and ANY penny left over should be used only to get Revis locked up for life if he is willing to sign on for life. Come 2014 Jets would be out of cap hell, had 2 drafts to restock, and a handful of great players left over, and a few possible great up, and comers. IF they find a competent QB in this 2 year span the 2014 Jets will be ready to compete again with this plan IMO.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Not sure that a brand new GM would have the type of patience, but I see where you're going.

Turner is done. He's no better than Powell at this point. D Williams is owed a TON of money. It's easy to say you shouldn't worry about RB until you go through 3 seasons of Shonn Greene getting the majority of the carries on your team. The OL is fine.

The OL is not fine unless a QB shows up, probably aren't taking on Williams' contract if he's released, Turner > Greene.

The OL is not fine, probably aren't taking on Williams' contract if he's released, Turner > Greene.

This just isn't true. The Jets were the 5th best OL in the NFL according to Football Outsiders' metrics and thats with the bad platoon at LG. Also, Turner was MUCH worse than Greene this year in a year where Greene was a JAG like he always is. (Turner was like 40th out of 42 players with 100 rushes in DVOA) Turner isn't an NFL player anymore.

I like your highlighted list quite a bit. Think MJD and Tate will cost too much though (but I'd love either one obviously). Ivory and Dixon are intriguing and I'd be very happy bringing either one in. If the writer is right and Dixon only costs a 7th I think it'd be a great grab.

edit: BTW, just say no to DMC, Mathews and Beanie Wells. They won't be reclamation projects (possible exception is DMC...but not worth the price tag). Leave them to break some other fan bases hearts.

Seriously dude? I've been waiting 3 years for this

Yeah well, I don't like your tone.

Plus, I question the predictive value of FO's stats. The OL consists of D'Brick, Mangold, a 34 year old Moore, and three JAGs.

I agree, and the old Moore, and 3 Jags need to be replaced with a young stud, and 2 veteran leaders like Faneca, and Woody, that's step 1 in many steps that need to happen to fix this, get young stud in this draft, and sign the 2 vets after next season when we have cap space, and hopefully a QB worth blocking for.

Maybe you can't

depends on what your goal is, i suppose. make a splash in FA and get cortland buzzing CJ2K or MJD will do that. winning games when they count? barry sanders couldn't lead this team to playoffs w/sanchez at helm.

- MJD is an interesting option because he is a true feature back, and we have legitimate trade bait in Tim Tebow, if nothing else we could get an injured back at a discounted rate. Perhaps Timmy and a 3rd/4th gets it done.

- Anthony Dixon for a 7th round pick is an interesting idea. Gamble's close ties make it a nice parting gift from SF, it would beef up our bench a bit, perhaps giving us a goalline back and making it possible to cut ties with the FB position altogether.

- I also really really like Chris Ivory and Pierre Thomas... Dudes are the beast. However, if it would take a 2nd round pick to get either, I would have to pass... Similar, fresher talent can be had in the draft for a later round pick. I'm eyeing you Eddie Lacy/Montee Ball

- F.Chowds (several posts above) has an interesting list. I wouldn't mind Reggie Bush or Mike Goodson playing RB behind a revamped line.

If the above statement is true, that we fielded a 5th ranked OL, and we still address the line in this draft... I don't think it matters who we employ to play RB, so long as he has more burst than Shonn (putt-putt) Greene.

RB is a replaceable part, and I wouldn't want the team spending heavily in free agency or worse, trading a pick and then spending free agent money on one. Tannenbaum's been fired for a career filled with moves like that, I'd be very discouraged if new GM pulled anything similar.

I could see bringing in an older back on the cheap, though. Maybe a guy like Ronnie Brown?

Definitely draft one.

tate would be great, but no way we can afford him. they'd want to much and then after 1 year he would want paid! the guy I see on that list that we could actually get i think is Ivory. the kid is a beast! he's young, and cheap. just the way I like them! lol

Archived