Why Rex WASN'T Fired

SoFlaJets

So you're saying Rex wasn't fired cause Woody was scared to go to a press conference by himself? OK.

well I have also thought of what it would have looked like with Woody and Scott Cohen or maybe Dennis Thurman-even though there was no guarantee that Thurman would still even BE a Jets coach after a Rex firing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex wasn't fired because Doug Marrone is considered to be a hot candidate.

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Had Rex been fired he would automatically be considered the top coach on the market and the really ****ed up part? ESPN would be touting his going to back to back AFC Championships and only having one losing season and how he would give any team that hired him instant credibility.

Let's face it guys, with everybody else being gone do you think that Woody Johnson would have been able to handle that press conference all by himself today? I mean there is no GM, no OC, No DC, no STs coach, no QB coach, hell there ain't even a strength and conditioning guy anymore....all that is left is Scott Cohen and maybe Dennis Thurman....and Rexy....God help us...we so effed

agreed! Its a tough day to be a JEST fan! Yes JEST!

Can you think of any other reason why the Buffoon wasn't fired?

Yeah, Woody is an idiot, doesn't want to pay guaranteed money, thinks Rex is a good coach... one, all, somewhere in between. Woody isn't some high school kid. He didn't hold onto Rex out of fear of going to a press conference alone or for the moral support. Ridiculous.

Just wow. You can't be that naive can you?

Andy Reid = many more years of opportunity, better QB play in almost every year... still no Superbowl. Not saying he's a bad coach, but not as good as Rex.

If he was the Jets coach right now, you would be bitching even more.

Class dismissed.

Rex=God!

More power

Offense is not needed.

GM not needed, just a bitch to do Rex's dirty work!

"Hey bitch! Go get Sanchize extended! And get me a goddam snack when your done, wait, get the snack first, than extend Sanchize!

Andy Reid = many more years of opportunity, better QB play in almost every year... still no Superbowl. Not saying he's a bad coach, but not as good as Rex.

Class dismissed.

Philly was left at the alter by Chip Kelly. Missed out on Marrone. And denied Jay Gruden. They are reportedly interviewing Lovie Smith next.

meanwhile Andy Reid had his choice of jobs and has been signed to KC for big money, as of last week.

the HC market is absolute garbage, and Jets want to throw away Rex, for who? Bill Parcells is not gonna walk through that door.

Class dismissed.

According to who?

Reid took over a 3-13 Eagles team who had no QB. Everybody wanted Ricky Williams. They drafted McNabb.

Reids first 4 years as HC of a bad Eagles team.

1998 3-13 Year Before Reid

1999 - 5-11

2000 - 11-5 won a playoff game... Eagles first playoff win since 1995.

2001 - 11-5 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2002 12-4 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2003 12-4 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2004 13-3 NFC East division champ, made it to Super Bowl

Rex Ryans years as NY Jets HC.

2008 - 9-7 Year Before Rex Ryan. Jets were what, 7-2 at one point in the season, Favre injured, Mangini did a poor job down the stretch.

2009 9-7 but we all know the Jets were an 8-8 team (Colts forfeited the damn game).... made it to AFC Championship game

2010 11-5 made it to AFC Championship game

2011 8-8

2012 6-10

2013 "Thought to be a rebuilding year?"

I'm a bit confused on what math and system you are using to say Rex Ryan is a better coach, player evaluator, etc compared to Andy Reid.

Reid took over a terrible Eagles team who went 3-13 the year before he was hired, and turned that team around in two years to go on a run where they won the division and made it to the NFC Championship game 4 years in a row. Even made a super bowl. You can say Reid choked in big games. You can say Mcnabb choked in big games. But McNabb was booed by fans when he was picked. So the truth is, Reid had every reason to not pick McNabb that year. But the reality is, the Eagles went from a terrible team in the late 90's, a 3-13 team to a super bowl contender every year.

Rex Ryan took over a team that went 9-7, he picked Mark Sanchez to be the franchise QB, and the Jets are essentially a .500 club with no division titles under Ryan. They've gotten a lot worse the past two years.

And now they are in rebuild mode. A team that was 9-7 the year before Rex becomes a 6-10 team in year 4 of Rex's regime and the idea is they have to start over and rebuild....I'm really confused on How that's a better coach, player evaluator, etc? ANd I don't like Andy Reid.

Class dismissed.

Love these "because I say so posts". Yesterday was simply the latest in 12 months of embarassing nonsense coming out of our HC's mouth.

Had Rex been fired he would automatically be considered the top coach on the market and the really ****ed up part? ESPN would be touting his going to back to back AFC Championships and only having one losing season and how he would give any team that hired him instant credibility.

Andy Reid was the best HC this year and Lovie Smith is next. Smith took the Bears to a Super Bowl.

Rex being the top HC on the market is like you going home from the bar with the fat girl at closing time because thats all thats left.

According to who?

Reid took over a 3-13 Eagles team who had no QB. Everybody wanted Ricky Williams. They drafted McNabb.

Reids first 4 years as HC of a bad Eagles team.

1998 3-13 Year Before Reid

1999 - 5-11

2000 - 11-5 won a playoff game... Eagles first playoff win since 1995.

2001 - 11-5 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2002 12-4 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2003 12-4 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2004 13-3 NFC East division champ, made it to Super Bowl

Rex Ryans years as NY Jets HC.

2008 - 9-7 Year Before Rex Ryan. Jets were what, 7-2 at one point in the season, Favre injured, Mangini did a poor job down the stretch.

2009 9-7 but we all know the Jets were an 8-8 team (Colts forfeited the damn game).... made it to AFC Championship game

2010 11-5 made it to AFC Championship game

2011 8-8

2012 6-10

2013 "Thought to be a rebuilding year?"

I'm a bit confused on what math and system you are using to say Rex Ryan is a better coach, player evaluator, etc compared to Andy Reid.

Reid took over a terrible Eagles team who went 3-13 the year before he was hired, and turned that team around in two years to go on a run where they won the division and made it to the NFC Championship game 4 years in a row. Even made a super bowl. You can say Reid choked in big games. You can say Mcnabb choked in big games. But McNabb was booed by fans when he was picked. So the truth is, Reid had every reason to not pick McNabb that year. But the reality is, the Eagles went from a terrible team in the late 90's, a 3-13 team to a super bowl contender every year.

Rex Ryan took over a team that went 9-7, he picked Mark Sanchez to be the franchise QB, and the Jets are essentially a .500 club with no division titles under Ryan. They've gotten a lot worse the past two years.

And now they are in rebuild mode. A team that was 9-7 the year before Rex becomes a 6-10 team in year 4 of Rex's regime and the idea is they have to start over and rebuild....I'm really confused on How that's a better coach, player evaluator, etc? ANd I don't like Andy Reid.

That's oversimplifying a bit from 2008-2009.

Mangini had Favre and a healthy Kris Jenkins for most of the season. When they got hurt the team was awful.

Rex had rookie Sanchez, lost Jenkins in the first half of week 6, and lost Leon the week after that. And for the first 4 games Chansi Stuckey was the #2 WR. Cotchery was the #1.

I've got a laundry list of criticism for Rex, starting with his infuriating Sanchez obsession. But as easy as it is to say in hindsight, he didn't inherit the same team Mangini had.

Mangini had a real QB and an all-pro NT.

Rex had rookie Sanchez and Pouha, who I don't think ever started a game before.

He turned Pouha into a damn good, first-time starter at age 30 (starting an over the hill Marques Douglas for most of the season with Jenkins lost and Ellis getting suspended for a week. A year later he turned another previous near-nobody into a player in DeVito. Sure he may have "inherited" Pouha and DeVito, but they weren't sh*t until Rex was their coach. And pro bowl or not, the Ellis he inherited couldn't really play late into games effectively anymore like he used to. Mangini also left him with $10M in dead cap space with Gholston making good starter money plus another $5M in cap black holes for Pennington and Barrett and Coles. Gholston gobbled up space (and a roster spot and the great player a team seeks to land at #6) reserved for the pass rusher Rex didn't inherit.

F*CK. Why am I the one defending this semi-fat bastard?

Andy Reid was the best HC this year and Lovie Smith is next. Smith took the Bears to a Super Bowl.

Rex being the top HC on the market is like you going home from the bar with the fat girl at closing time because thats all thats left.

JiF goes home with the fat girl even when there's plenty of girls left.... must explain his love for Rex.

Mangini had Favre and a healthy Kris Jenkins for most of the season. When they got hurt the team was awful.

Rex had rookie Sanchez, lost Jenkins in the first half of week 6, and lost Leon the week after that. And for the first 4 games Chansi Stuckey was the #2 WR. Cotchery was the #1.

I've got a laundry list of criticism for Rex, starting with his infuriating Sanchez obsession. But as easy as it is to say in hindsight, he didn't inherit the same team Mangini had.

He turned Pouha into a damn good, first-time starter at age 30 (starting an over the hill Marques Douglas for most of the season with Jenkins lost and Ellis getting suspended for a week. A year later he turned another previous near-nobody into a player in DeVito. Sure he may have "inherited" Pouha and DeVito, but they weren't sh*t until Rex was their coach. And pro bowl or not, the Ellis he inherited couldn't really play late into games effectively anymore like he used to. Mangini also left him with $10M in dead cap space with Gholston making good starter money plus another $5M in cap black holes for Pennington and Barrett and Coles. Gholston gobbled up space (and a roster spot and the great player a team seeks to land at #6) reserved for the pass rusher Rex didn't inherit.

These are better than your arguments against Rex. Reconsider your position. Join the good side. Vote Rex.

These are better than your arguments against Rex. Reconsider your position. Join the good side. Vote Rex.

I'm not voting for or against anything other than winning a superbowl and have little tolerance for anything standing in the way of that.

And if we end up with the 4th best GM prospect - or even the 2nd-best one - because of Rex being a holdover, then f*ck him also. If not then I don't care, as long as we bring our offense into the 21st century. He's still a solid DC. Our last 2 head coaches weren't even good coordinators (and neither were most of our prior coordinators for that matter either, save Pettine).

Admitting the coach that your team is stuck with sucks, is like admitting that there is no Santa Claus. It is a bittersweet moment, and it can not get better from there. I can understand the reluctance from some of the more naive.

You could be proven wrong.

You could be proven wrong.

Could, but doubtful. Would you lay money on it?

The Jets will be a wretched team next year, and Rex will lose his job after that. If the Jets somehow promote Cohen, he will be gone too, most likely, and Woody will be facing next off-season, what he has delayed in not doing this off-season. And that is putting a proven football man in charge, with a coach that fits his mold and work from there.

The way they are approaching this, is just backwards

The Jets will be a wretched team next year, and Rex will lose his job after that. If the Jets somehow promote Cohen, he will be gone too, most likely, and Woody will be facing next off-season, what he has delayed in not doing this off-season. And that is putting a proven football man in charge, with a coach that fits his mold and work from there.

You look at the teams who succeed; they mostly have superior QB. Like to think this was smoke and mirrors and the Jets franchise is geared toward drafting Clowney in April 2014. Yes, we'll suck for 2013; but we making serious plans for the future. This will be bitter but necessary medicine.

But I didn't see anyone yesterday who was that long-term smart.

I'd consider placing money on it actually, but I don't necessarily think I'll be proven right when he's with the Jets. The scenario you posted, that will probably happen. We have the Mexican heist of a contract to thank for that.

What is a proven football man? The son of one of the all time great defensive co-ordinators, the brother of a (former) NFL defensive co-ordinator and a guy who was considered one of the best defensive co-ordinators in the game? Would that legislate as a “football man”?

I think Rex is a good coach. A very good coach who made one dreadful mistake (drafting Sanchez) which has haunted him and probably cost him one or more Superbowls, a mistake I don’t even blame him for making. It was the right play after Favre had abandoned the team. I hate Favre, hated him before he came, while he was here and even more now, had he stayed with the Jets in 2009 we probably enter the 2009 playoffs the #1 seed and as the team to beat, so good was Rex’s defense. Alas, he ****ed off and we needed a QB, we got Sanchez. If Rex handpicked him then yes he has a lot of the blame to take, but it could have gone either way, and you know it. That’s the draft, that’s the years class he had to work with. Being tied with Sanchez really hurt him, and Tanny effectively killed him with the extension. The worst move in the history of the NFL. The worst.

You don’t get to the AFCCG with one of the worst 5 QB’s in the NFL with bad coaching, it’s not possible. They’re the two most important people on the team. I know which one performed and which didn’t.

Edit: ****ing email format bullsh*t.

No doubt about it. They'd be blowing him to high heaven talking about how great he is. And FTR, there are very few non-Jets fans who dont think Rex is a good coach. Everyone's favorite Charlie Casserly said the other day that the one area the Jets have covered, is HC. They just need to fill in the rest. ESPN would have been all over his nuts if he was fired and he'd have been quickly scooped up by another team.

Boom!!! Outside of the great OL that Rex inherited, his offense was, Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones, Jerricho Cotchery and Chansi Stuckey...Clowney too? Talk about an offense!!!!

And then that unreal defense that Mangini had with Kenyon Coleman and Eric Barton and Kerry Rhodes and Dwight Lowery - I mean, how was this not a SB team when you have David Harris and Revis on your D? lol

I'm not sure about Rex, I think he could be a good coach, but his time mangement and challenge skills need to improve.

He may be a good talent evaluator on the defensive side, but I'm not sure he knows anything about the other side of the ball. I offer up as evidence Vlad Ducasse, Stephen Hill and, yes, Sanchez. BTW, giving Rex credit for winning 6 games in spite of Sanchez when he was the one advocating moiving up to draft him and was solidly behind him in the face of all the criticsm is hypocritical at best.

I don't think this is going to be a one-year process, this team has too many holes to fill at QB, WR, TE, OL, LB and S. I think it will be a long time before we even challenge for a division title.

Rex wasn't fired because he's a better coach than anyone available (including Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, etc.)

WRONG. Rex wasn't fired because the franchise lacks a Football Man to guide Woody and tell him this is not The One. Its pretty gd clear to me he can't win a Super Bowl, because a real HC would have done it by now. He has a proven he has a ceiling as an 11 win coach, which SOUNDS good but elite guys routinely put out 12-13 in their sleep.

He is on record saying he thinks offense is a pointless part of the game and only there for defenses to beat up on, so you KNOW the Jets will never field a competent one under his watch (unless they find The One at OC).

The new, hopefully Football Man, GM will need to prioritize firing Rex and getting His Guy (probably The One if the GM is a FB Man) in here to establish a New Attitude and Direction. Plain and simple. It's the only route to take folks. I'm just using ****ing science here.

I'd consider placing money on it actually, but I don't necessarily think I'll be proven right when he's with the Jets. The scenario you posted, that will probably happen. We have the Mexican heist of a contract to thank for that.

What is a proven football man? The son of one of the all time great defensive co-ordinators, the brother of a (former) NFL defensive co-ordinator and a guy who was considered one of the best defensive co-ordinators in the game? Would that legislate as a “football man”?

I think Rex is a good coach. A very good coach who made one dreadful mistake (drafting Sanchez) which has haunted him and probably cost him one or more Superbowls, a mistake I don’t even blame him for making. It was the right play after Favre had abandoned the team. I hate Favre, hated him before he came, while he was here and even more now, had he stayed with the Jets in 2009 we probably enter the 2009 playoffs the #1 seed and as the team to beat, so good was Rex’s defense. Alas, he ****ed off and we needed a QB, we got Sanchez. If Rex handpicked him then yes he has a lot of the blame to take, but it could have gone either way, and you know it. That’s the draft, that’s the years class he had to work with. Being tied with Sanchez really hurt him, and Tanny effectively killed him with the extension. The worst move in the history of the NFL. The worst.

You don’t get to the AFCCG with one of the worst 5 QB’s in the NFL with bad coaching, it’s not possible. They’re the two most important people on the team. I know which one performed and which didn’t.

Edit: ****ing email format bullsh*t.

My concern about Rex is what he does with the Jets. If he should win someplace else rather than here, well good for him. It is not helping us today.

A good football man-Someone who makes decision that fit the mold of a pre-determined shape of a team. A model that is malleable, but is consistent in theory. They draft talent based on talent alone, not on need or a prejudice of a unit. They make smart free agent moves to fill in, to subsidize the draft, and do not become over-loyal, because of prior relationships or temerity of cutting someone.

ie-someone who does not bring in a Tim Tebow, because it is a shiny toy. There is a purpose to moves.

Each NFL year is a dog year in terms of our life spans. Rosters change, personnel shift, and good teams adjust.

For those fans that want to live 3 and 4 years ago, and discuss what a great run that was-that is over. It was eons ago and this team and its coach or not reflective of that any more. get over your boyish enthusiasm and understand this team for what it truly is. Miscast and mismanaged.

Coaches have a shelf life. Some or shorter than others. rex's style gives him a short shelf life. get rid of moldy bread.

I'm not voting for or against anything other than winning a superbowl and have little tolerance for anything standing in the way of that.

And if we end up with the 4th best GM prospect - or even the 2nd-best one - because of Rex being a holdover, then f*ck him also. If not then I don't care, as long as we bring our offense into the 21st century. He's still a solid DC. Our last 2 head coaches weren't even good coordinators (and neither were most of our prior coordinators for that matter either, save Pettine).

this is something that the new Jets fan doesn't quite get yet SE. I guess they think that "success" is going to, and not even WINNING 2 AFCCs-sorry but it isn't good enough for me, I want nothing less than another Lombardi Trophy in the Jets showcase and I fear it will never happen with this owner who gives carte blanche to a stupid football mind like Rex Ryan. We thought it was bad enough when he did the same with a Hall of Famer in Bill Parcells. Rex Ryan doesn't even have 1/10th the football mind that Tuna had and probably still has if given the reigns once more.

this is something that the new Jets fan doesn't quite get yet SE. I guess they think that "success" is going to, and not even WINNING 2 AFCCs-sorry but it isn't good enough for me, I want nothing less than another Lombardi Trophy in the Jets showcase and I fear it will never happen with this owner who gives carte blanche to a stupid football mind like Rex Ryan. We thought it was bad enough when he did the same with a Hall of Famer in Bill Parcells. Rex Ryan doesn't even have 1/10th the football mind that Tuna had and probably still has if given the reigns once more.

Bitonti tells us that winning a SB is a crapshoot. Every team has a 1/32 shot of winning it. When your number is up, it is up. We are due baby, the odds are in our favor!!!

Bitonti tells us that winning a SB is a crapshoot. Every team has a 1/32 shot of winning it. When your number is up, it is up. We are due baby, the odds are in our favor!!!

those odds are drastically reduced when you have an owner who has other priorities that are more important to him than what should be his FIRST-you know like oh let's just say...politics

1/32 is being generous. that assumes every team has an equal shot. and like gambling there's no such thing as being due. A roulette wheel hitting red 10x in a row is not any more likely or unliklely to hit red the 11th time.

Archived