Cimini says it's down to 3 choices: Gamble/Ross/Cohen

SouthernJet

Bios of all three:

Gamble:

Tom Gamble is in his 24th NFL season and his seventh year with the 49ers. On February 4, 2011, Gamble was promoted to Director of Player Personnel after having served as the Director of Pro Personnel for the previous seven years in San Francisco.

Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

While working closely with General Manager Trent Baalke, Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster. In 2010, Gamble had been assigned additional responsibilities in collegiate scouting in order to maximize the use of his extensive experience in talent evaluation.

During his time in the NFL, Gamble has helped build nine playoff teams – five with Indianapolis and four with Philadelphia. Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as a college scout for the Colts from 1998 to 2004 under veteran NFL executive Bill Polian.

Gamble originally entered the NFL as an assistant in the player personnel department of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. He stayed with the Eagles through 1994, serving as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and later served as the director of pro scouting.

From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets. He then worked as a part-time college scout for the Carolina Panthers before serving as a pro scout for the Baltimore Ravens during the 1997 season.

Gamble earned his B.S. from High Point University in 1987 and an M.S. from Rowan University in 1988. He grew up in a football family, where his father, Harry, served as the head coach at both the University of Pennsylvania and Lafayette College. Harry was also formerly the President of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Ross:

Marc Ross is in his fifth season as the Giants’ Director of College Scouting. Ross is in charge of the Giants’ college scouting department and the team’s draft. He joined the organization on May 18, 2007 and ran his first organizational draft the next year, when the Giants selected Kenny Phillips, Terrell Thomas and Mario Manningham, among others.

Ross came to the Giants from the Buffalo Bills, for whom he spent three seasons as a national college scout.

Ross’ first NFL job was as a public relations training camp intern with the Giants in 1995. After leaving camp, Ross worked in Columbia University’s athletics department.

Ross returned to the NFL with the Eagles’ personnel department during the club’s 1996 training camp. He was the team’s eastern regional scout from 1997 until 2000, when, at age 27, he became the NFL’s youngest college scouting director. During his tenure in Philadelphia, Ross was responsible for drafting such outstanding NFL Players as Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess.

After seven years with the Eagles’ organization, Ross joined the Bills in the spring of 2004 as a national college scout.

Ross was an All-Ivy League wide receiver at Princeton in 1993 and 94. He holds five school records, including one as a receiver (a 20.2-yard average per catch in 1993) and four as a punt returner (most career returns, 74; most career return yards, 696; most returns in a season, 32 in 1994 and most yards in a game, 161 on six returns vs. Cornell in 1994).

Ross earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology from Princeton and a master’s degree in sport management from the University of Massachusetts in 1997.

Cohen:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-guide/2012/html/Cohen,-Scott.html

From all indications Caldwell did not even go for the second interview with the JETS. So he used it as a ploy to get the JAGS to play ball.

At this point I would even settle for an Eric Mangini over Cohen!

What indications? As far as I can tell they were supposedly scheduling it sometime today. Did they say he didn't show?

*Check that. I see he removed his name from consideration and is in negotiations with the Jags. Thanks Jetcane

I guess none of us know what happened behind close doors. For all we know, Cohen, who has a long rep as a football guy (scout/pro personel w/eagles etc) disagreed w/tanny on many things. maybe Tanny was always over -riding Cohen/Bradway on direction.

None of us really know. We do know Clinksdales left for those reasons, that staff would want X player and Tanny would not back them up.

I am going to wait until the Jets actually hire Cohen before I really go off the deep end. I still think Gamble is the man. He is not one of the finalists in San Diego, and no one else is really kicking his tires yet. I found the "he is bad at the cap" quotes to be interesting, but that could also be false. He is the most qualified man for the job. I highly doubt Woody's advisors will suggest an internal hire.

I am going to wait until the Jets actually hire Cohen before I really go off the deep end. I still think Gamble is the man. He is not one of the finalists in San Diego, and no one else is really kicking his tires yet. I found the "he is bad at the cap" quotes to be interesting, but that could also be false. He is the most qualified man for the job. I highly doubt Woody's advisors will suggest an internal hire.

agree. so hire a cap guy as asst GM.big deal. no salary cap for coaches/front office

Bad at the cap, our ex-genius resigned Sanchez and crippled the teams cap with over paying Jags.

I guess none of us know what happened behind close doors. For all we know, Cohen, who has a long rep as a football guy (scout/pro personel w/eagles etc) disagreed w/tanny on many things. maybe Tanny was always over -riding Cohen/Bradway on direction.

None of us really know. We do know Clinksdales left for those reasons, that staff would want X player and Tanny would not back them up.

As I said in the other thread, I disagree that Clinkscales left for those reasons. He left because his buddy and college teammate, Reggie McKenzie, was hired as GM in Oakland. He got a higher ranking job than he could have gotten here unless they replaced Tannenbaum. The day that McKenzie was hired everybody expected him to take Clinkscales.

I'm sure there is some truth to him disputing players with some of the others, but this is like saying that Rex left Moorehead State to work with Buddy in Arizona because they were meddling with his vision.

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeero chance Ross takes this job and Gamble cough had a "bad interview" cough, which means he's already told them to pound sand. It's Cohen.

I think that you are right- UNFORTUNATELY! I see Cohen a sa guy that WRECKS can dominate. If he wants to draft another TERMINATOR, Cohen will probably say Why yes sir! Right away! Lets do it! Just what we do not need!

Just because Gamble has a long standing relationship with Rex and the Ryan family, doesn't mean he thinks Rex is anything short of a dunce. And after Woodrow essentially told the world today that his partner in running the Jets is Rex Ryan, I can very well understand him not wanting to be involved. Long standing family associations aside.

Mangini ?

As crazy as it sounds he is at least very prepared and detail-oriented. But suspect how he left here precludes that, and his MO is not a good match from GM Rex Ryan's perspective. even though would appear they would very much compliment each other.

Just because Gamble has a long standing relationship with Rex and the Ryan family, doesn't mean he thinks Rex is anything short of a dunce. And after Woodrow essentially told the world today that his partner in running the Jets is Rex Ryan, I can very well understand him not wanting to be involved. Long standing family associations aside.

There is no long standing association between Ryan and Gamble. Gamble's father fired Ryan's father.

any1 who thinks they are better than the Jets should probably not work for the Jets.

any1 who thinks they are better than the Jets should probably not work for the Jets.

In fairness, anyone who does not think they are better than the Jets must have terribly low self esteem.

There is no long standing association between Ryan and Gamble. Gamble's father fired Ryan's father.

Gamble was quoted as saying he had a long association with Rex. Don't have the quote - not going to bother looking for it.

Archived