Brian Gaine will interview for GM

F.Chowds

If we hire Gaine, it'll be fun watching Pac tie himself into knots trying to reconcile his belief that the Dolphins are and always have been an inferior franchise to the Jets with his inevitable conclusion that Gaine is a football savant who's going to lead us to multiple championships.

If we hire Gaine, it'll be fun watching Pac tie himself into knots trying to reconcile his belief that the Dolphins are and always have been an inferior franchise to the Jets with his inevitable conclusion that Gaine is a football savant who's going to lead us to multiple championships.

I'm sure, like Cohen, Gaine is an undercover genius whose brilliant input went largely ignored, except for those good players that ended up on the roster. Those were all his.

I'm sure, like Cohen, Gaine is an undercover genius whose brilliant input went largely ignored, except for those good players that ended up on the roster. Those were all his.

When the defense plays bad: Pettine's fault #lolbills

When the defense plays good: REX IS A MASTERMIND

The Jets will interview Dolphins assistant general manager Brian Gaine for the GM spot this week, according to a person familiar with the search. The person requested anonymity because the Jets have not made the candidates public.

Gaine, a Don Bosco grad and Pearl River, N.Y. native, has been with Miami since 2008 and was promoted to the assistant GM spot back in June of 2012.

Gaine, a former NFL tight end, saw his front office career began with the Jets back in 1999 under Bill Parcells, where he started as a scout and worked his way up to assistant director of pro scouting under Terry Bradway.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com; twitter.com/ConorTOrr

When the first list of potential candidates came out with their mini-bios, his was one of the names I liked best.

All comes down to how he interviews. :)

I also suspect the Jets have gotten a lot of blowback regarding hiring internally -if that was actually becoming a real option- and is probably one of the reasons why we see the field expanding today.

When the first list of potential candidates came out with their mini-bios, his was one of the names I liked best.

I also suspect the Jets have gotten a lot of blowback regarding hiring internally -if that was actually becoming a real option- and is probably one of the reasons why we see the field expanding today.

Honestly, I'd rather the Jets promote Scott Cohen compared to hiring a guy who has spent the past 5-6 years helping build the Miami Dolphins into the 'powerhouse' they are today.

More fodder from terrible organizations.

that's kind of the thing about these GM and HC markets. All the good ones are under contract already. Jets fans imagine that they can fire Tanny and get Ron Wolf, fire Rex and get Belly. Trade revis and pay a franchise QB in free agency.

The demand is too high and the supply is too small.

Honestly, I'd rather the Jets promote Scott Cohen compared to hiring a guy who has spent the past 5-6 years helping build the Miami Dolphins into the 'powerhouse' they are today.

They need an outside guy. The fact that Gaine has worked with Bradway in the past is a negative, IMHO.

that's kind of the thing about these GM and HC markets. All the good ones are under contract already. Jets fans imagine that they can fire Tanny and get Ron Wolf, fire Rex and get Belly. Trade revis and pay a franchise QB in free agency.

The demand is too high and the supply is too small.

BS there are a ton of good candidates from winning programs.

They need an outside guy. The fact that Gaine has worked with Bradway in the past is a negative, IMHO.

I wouldn't have cared if he never even heard of the Jets before, outside doesn't mean better.

At this point, Cohen vs Blaine equals out. We don't know what either really did within the organization or How much/little input they had, what their day to day roles exactly were, etc. Some 'press report' selling a candidate is just that, a press report.

Everybody oversells themselves and if they are well liked and recommended, those people are going to sell themselves too. It's the same theory as giving your new job references and former bosses. Nobody gives out people who say bad things about them. Most people give out those who will give them glowing reviews, embellished responsibilities, etc. That's just the way it is.

The Dolphins have been a bad organization. They have been searching for a franchise QB since Marino retired. They have been searching for stability maybe even longer. They have a new head coach every other year. The Jets might have issues and problems, but at least they've been a playoff team under Herm, Mangini, and Rex. They just can't figure out how to become that 12-4 team year after year. Or find a franchise QB.

It's one thing to grab somebody from the Patriots, Colts(they've been a playoff team for 13 out of 14 seasons), Packers, even Eagles. Teams who were super bowl contenders year after year over the past decade. It's another to try and grab some young guy from a team that stinks and has been bad over the past decade.

I mean hey, why not find somebody in the Bills organization or Jaguars...I'm sure there are a lot of young assistants who would make great GMs...

The Dolphins have been a bad organization. They have been searching for a franchise QB since Marino retired. They just can't figure out how to become that 12-4 team year after year. Or find a franchise QB.

I hate to say this but they found their franchise QB. His name is Ryan Tannehill and while he won't be Brady level awesome, he's way better than Mark and is gonna break out next year.

I hate to say this but they found their franchise QB. His name is Ryan Tannehill and while he won't be Brady level awesome, he's way better than Mark and is gonna break out next year.

Who knows. He had his moments. But it's early. Mark Sanchez had his moments too. Remember the Patriots playoff game? Nobody was calling Sanchez a bad QB back then. People love to jump on bandwagons way too early these days. Kind of like people already claiming Kapernick in SF is the franchise QB. He's had his moments to, but he's stunk at times too.

The difference is Kapernick is on the 49ers and Ryan is on the Dolphins.

Chad Henne was the franchise QB for the dolphins at one point too..

Would it kill them to look externally to Green Bay... or even to any other organization that doesn't suck as much or more than ours?

Would it kill them to look externally to Green Bay... or even to any other organization that doesn't suck as much or more than ours?

This is what I don't get. Look at the Patriots, Packers, heck even the Falcons or Ravens. And why was the lone guy from the Giants just an afterthought and not a real consideration? The Giants have won 2 super bowls. Searching Teams who have had success over the past 5-10 years makes sense. Teams who have consistent success. Different coaches. Different players. Different front offices.

Why pick somebody from the Dolphins?

This is what I don't get. Look at the Patriots, Packers, heck even the Falcons or Ravens. And why was the lone guy from the Giants just an afterthought and not a real consideration? The Giants have won 2 super bowls. Searching Teams who have had success over the past 5-10 years makes sense. Teams who have consistent success. Different coaches. Different players. Different front offices.

Why pick somebody from the Dolphins?

Parcells

Who knows. He had his moments. But it's early. Mark Sanchez had his moments too. Remember the Patriots playoff game? Nobody was calling Sanchez a bad QB back then.

that's true just something about tannyhill strikes me as having the quick release and decision making that makes a good Qb.

Archived