GM Candidate Central - MERGED

Lizard King

Glazer had it that Gamble's "bad" interview stemmed from him telling teams it was his way or no way, which is smart. That Niners team is going to be great for three years minimum, so even if Gamble doesn't get a job this year, he'll have plenty more chances. No need to compromise when he's got all the leverage.

Hopefully after we elevate Cohen and this year's another ****ing nightmare Woody pulls his head out of his ass and gives a real GM what he wants.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then why did he interview at all ? He could have done a Heckert and stayed away.

Because it never hurts to take the interview. Especialy when it's geographically convenient and you can get intel on a competitor. Heck, Ross might not have missed but a half day of work and been home for dinner.

Jets to hold follow-up GM interviews

Updated: January 13, 2013, 11:22 AM ETBy Adam Schefter | ESPN

The New York Jets will hold follow-up discussions with at least two of the general manager candidates they already have interviewed and hope to finalize their decision this week, according to sources.

The name to watch is former Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, who is high on the Jets' radar. Angelo had an impressive interview, sources said.

Jets assistant general manager Scott Cohen also interviewed well, according to sources, and is likely to be a part of the process.

Angelo, who was fired from his post in Chicago after the 2011 season, is the only known candidate with experience as a GM. He was the Bears' GM for 11 years, compiling an 87-73 record and building the team that reached Super Bowl XLI.

Owner Woody Johnson confirmed last week that Rex Ryan is part of the package, meaning the next GM has to retain the coach for at least one season. Johnson said he hasn't received any negative backlash from potential candidates.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8840250/new-york-jets-set-follow-gm-interviews-sources

I think this may have been covered previously in this forum, if so, my apologies.

Have you ever heard of Tommie Harris, Chris Williams or Michael Haynes? Neither have I (apologize if you did, but there is a point here). Those were all #1 picks that Angelo for the Bears over the past 10 years. There are other genius picks as well, including Bears and Pariots' reject Cedric Benson.

It's not surprising that the only person who will consider the Jets job is a mirror image of Tannenbaum. Bears had one good season (2010-2011, in which they went ot the CG like the Jets), lost in in the NFCCG, then got fired after the next. Leave it to the Jets to pick the only guy who could be worse than Tannenbaum.

"They're calling back candidates who already turned them down," added Glazer. One of those candidates could be 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, who was once considered the odds-on-favorite for the job but may have spurned the Jets. ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned earlier on Sunday that ex-Bears GM Jerry Angelo is also a "name to watch."

Only 32 GM jobs available and no-one wants ours.

I blame Woody. He's too cheap to pay Rex $6M to go home. Normally I wouldn't b1tch about throwing someone else's $6M away but its obvious this organization has to clean house.

Someone explain to me, how Rex Ryan is allowed to basically run this organization? He admits he lost the locker room, admits he hasn't put his stamp on this team, neglected the offense in an offensive era, flip flops on his ground and pound stance - the list goes on.

Kotite Part 1 was brutal. We are in the midst of the sequel.

This is an absolute fukin joke.

@JayGlazer: Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

Good call - I missed that. But I don't understand. The cap situation will be a lot better a year from now. The Jets will have high picks in the next two drafts. If Rex and his staff were gone - that means the circus leaves town.

One of those candidates could be 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, who was once considered the odds-on-favorite for the job but may have spurned the Jets.

That's some solid info right there.

a former gm who my dad has as a patient said that gamble didnt impress the jets whatsoever. They felt he was really reserved and not a action now guy looking to move forward quickly.

a former gm who my dad has as a patient said that gamble didnt impress the jets whatsoever. They felt he was really reserved and not a action now guy looking to move forward quickly.

And that's possible too. I seriously hate reporting with the words "may have" " could have" or "possibly". It's not reporting. It's guessing,

@JayGlazer: Rex isn't what GM candidates are concerned with - their cap situation, personnel, QB and the circus turned a lot of candidates off

Glazer is also buddies with Rex. Jacksonville has the same exact QB situation as us, and they got one of the elite candidates.

LOL, then hire him, he wasnt BSing in interview. With our cap and qb situation we need a calm, look to future guy.

Is Woody looking for someone to blow smoke up his ass and say ''I can get you that SuperBowl in your stadium this year Mr, Johnson?"

so in other words he a patient guy who might very well not want to trade away draft picks for bandaids and give said bandaids All Pro caliber contracts ? yeah damn that bitch to hell, we need another Tanny ****ing up the depth of this football team and handing out 10 mil per contracts to players that are rated good to jag status.

Woody is an Idiot and the guy he has hunting ofr the GM is probably an idiot too if he made those comments

Glazer is also buddies with Rex. Jacksonville has the same exact QB situation as us, and they got one of the elite candidates.

...who promptly interviewed Schotty for the HC job. How elite is Dave Caldwell anyway?

We know as much about him as we do about Tom Gamble. We read these names but have no idea if they can do a good job. Chances are they won't.

so in other words he a patient guy

he wanted to elevated some DL coach named Tomasula to HC. How is that patient. not even a coordinator. A positional coach from the defensive side of the ball. The Jets should fire Rex to hire another defensive coach?

so in other words he a patient guy who might very well not want to trade away draft picks for bandaids and give said bandaids All Pro caliber contracts ? yeah damn that bitch to hell, we need another Tanny ****ing up the depth of this football team and handing out 10 mil per contracts to players that are rated good to jag status.

Woody is an Idiot and the guy he has hunting ofr the GM is probably an idiot too if he made those comments

LOL, then hire him, he wasnt BSing in interview. With our cap and qb situation we need a calm, look to future guy.

Is Woody looking for someone to blow smoke up his ass and say ''I can get you that SuperBowl in your stadium this year Mr, Johnson?"

lol fair enough to both of you. Thats almost exactly what the guy said. He thought woody wanted a more vocal guy. Now i dont know if woody wants someone like that for headlines or someone vocal and loud enough to take control of the direction this team is going.

gamble didnt have a commanding personality or something

...who promptly interviewed Schotty for the HC job. How elite is Dave Caldwell anyway?

We know as much about him as we do about Tom Gamble. We read these names but have no idea if they can do a good job. Chances are they won't.

You go with the track record, the resume, etc. Caldwell and Gamble both have a sh*tload more accomplishments to point to than Mike Tannenbaum ever did.

Jax is a no pressure job, in a state with no income tax, and money goes significantly farther than in the NY metro area. Plus, he's moving from one southern city to another. A lot of reasons for him to pick Jax that have nothing to do with what may or may not be wrong with the Jets.

A number of these so-called elite candidates are still looking for work.

I'm still willing to let it all shake out.

It's the GM's job to make it happen with no infrastructure and no quarterback.

the Jets have an infrastructure with Brick, Mangold, Wilk, Coples. The trenches are sound. Revis and Cro are stars.

The QB is a problem to be sure. Im going on record if the Jets hire Jerry Angelo, he will be worse than Tanny. This is a man who thought it was a great idea to depend on Orlando Pace 10 years past his prime during a Super Bowl run. us Jets fans complain about the OL now just wait til Jerry Angelo gets done with the OL.

You go with the track record, the resume, etc. Caldwell and Gamble both have a sh*tload more accomplishments to point to than Mike Tannenbaum ever did.

so is that an endorsement of Schotty as the head coach of the Jets? Is that an outcome you'd be comfortable with? Mike Tannenbaum crapped out with Mark but he hit big with Revis. Chances are the next Jet GM will not have a pick as good as the Revis pick. I hope that's not true and the Jets draft a Revis every year for the next 5 years. Chances are they won't get 1.

Jax is a no pressure job, in a state with no income tax, and money goes significantly farther than in the NY metro area. Plus, he's moving from one southern city to another. A lot of reasons for him to pick Jax that have nothing to do with what may or may not be wrong with the Jets.,

In five years, Caldwell isn't going to put on his resume "Weather was awesome and saved a bundle on state taxes." His career will be defined by wins and losses. They go where they think they can win.

the Jets have an infrastructure with Brick, Mangold, Wilk, Coples. The trenches are sound. Revis and Cro are stars.

I'm talking from an organizational perspective. It's just abject chaos. Nobody but Rex can be in charge, because after a disaster season where everybody else left, he got kept on. But Rex can't be in charge either because he got a vote of confidence and no extension. We're really not even talking about football here. This hierarchy couldn't effort a ham sandwich if the Jets were a Subway franchise instead.

Archived