GM Candidate Central - MERGED

Lizard King

With the names that emerged today, I finally feel like the search firm is doing more than reading who the other GM-less teams are talking to on twitter. LOL

Lol yeah same here. I feel like for all the searching they're doing all they are ending up with is a bunch of potential candidates. WTF??!!? Do they KNOW you can only hire one? Why are they interviewing MORE than one then?!!?

This franchise, I SPIT on it.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol yeah same here. I feel like for all the searching they're doing all they are ending up with is a bunch of potential candidates. WTF??!!? Do they KNOW you can only hire one? Why are they interviewing MORE than one then?!!?

This franchise, I SPIT on it.

Wtf are you talking about? All I was saying was it's glad to see them casting a wider net than what fans say on twitter.

Sources close to the situation say that the chances of Cohen getting the GM job are very, very low. So he's out.

Truthfully at this point, anybody that agrees to become GM of the Jets, probably isn't going to be the best of candidates This circus has been insane. Unless they get so overpaid it's not funny, anybody with a grain of dignity and pride and options probably signs elsewhere or waits it out for a better offer next season.

Think about it. The Guy from the CFL, he's been super successful for years, is out of the limelight, probably gets paid well, still lives in the US, so really unless the guy isn't all that he really is supposed to be, why jump to the NY Jets? There is nothing good that would really come out of it for him. He has a bad draft and people blame him for not having the NFL experience. He has a good draft, people credit Rex Ryan.

If the Jets go 4-12 and fire Rex Ryan, he has to make some splashy moves and succeed or be run out of the NFL as fast as he came in. If the Jets go 9-7, Rex gets all the credit.

The way the Jets are handling this GM mess, and just throwing out every name they can think of, but never having any real thoughts on what they are actually trying to build and why, is just a mess. Really it becomes hiring some young guy and see what he does. Cohen would have made sense, but who knows what happened. The young guy from Pittsburgh probably makes sense now. Nobody else is going to hire him as a GM, so why not come.

Truthfully at this point, anybody that agrees to become GM of the Jets, probably isn't going to be the best of candidates This circus has been insane. Unless they get so overpaid it's not funny, anybody with a grain of dignity and pride and options probably signs elsewhere or waits it out for a better offer next season.

Think about it. The Guy from the CFL, he's been super successful for years, is out of the limelight, probably gets paid well, still lives in the US, so really unless the guy isn't all that he really is supposed to be, why jump to the NY Jets? There is nothing good that would really come out of it for him. He has a bad draft and people blame him for not having the NFL experience. He has a good draft, people credit Rex Ryan.

If the Jets go 4-12 and fire Rex Ryan, he has to make some splashy moves and succeed or be run out of the NFL as fast as he came in. If the Jets go 9-7, Rex gets all the credit.

The way the Jets are handling this GM mess, and just throwing out every name they can think of, but never having any real thoughts on what they are actually trying to build and why, is just a mess. Really it becomes hiring some young guy and see what he does. Cohen would have made sense, but who knows what happened. The young guy from Pittsburgh probably makes sense now. Nobody else is going to hire him as a GM, so why not come.

guy from pitt is basically a tanny clone,,cap, cap and more cap..unless he has some great talent evaluators/scouts ready to join him now, its he as new GM with cap guru knowledge and bradway/cohen handling talent,,,what changed?

I'd rather have CFL guy or Angelo. At least they know how to be a well rounded GM and have done so successfully.

Ross would be new, but has scout background and observed a solid 'how its done organization' like GMen.

guy from pitt is basically a tanny clone,,cap, cap and more cap..unless he has some great talent evaluators/scouts ready to join him now, its he as new GM with cap guru knowledge and bradway/cohen handling talent,,,what changed?

I'd rather have CFL guy or Angelo. At least they know how to be a well rounded GM and have done so successfully.

Ross would be new, but has scout background and observed a solid 'how its done organization' like GMen.

Why was Angelo fired? People seem to hate him.

This clearly the process of the consultants.

There is nothing wrong with bringing in a variety of candidates that have strengths in different areas, picking brains, and hiring the best solution...

This CAN be a positive IMO

There is nothing wrong with bringing in a variety of candidates that have strengths in different areas, picking brains, and hiring the best solution...

True. Having a cap guy run things can be great, as long as he brings in a strong scouting department to rely on. It's much scarier though because it makes us think that we will be seeing the same talent evaluation as the past 4 years.

What I worry is that this is the process of consultants. Doing a lot of busy work just to prove you're worth the money.

I can see it now. A bunch of jr analysts stuck in conference room with some sr managers writing up slides and pie charts.

"Look, I found this guy from the CFL... Hey, this guy worked with Parcells."

Suddenly it's a 100 page slide deck with a bunch of pretty graphs and colors that took a few weeks to prepare, but really doesn't say anything or mean anything. Because 99 percent of it is just fluff. Fluff that gets you another contract.

What I worry is that this is the process of consultants. Doing a lot of busy work just to prove you're worth the money.

I can see it now. A bunch of jr analysts stuck in conference room with some sr managers writing up slides and pie charts.

Suddenly it's a 100 page slide deck with a bunch of pretty graphs and colors that took a few weeks to prepare, but really doesn't say anything or mean anything. Because 99 percent of it is just fluff. Fluff that gets you another contract.

They SHOULD be vetting everybody to find our GM. Not really responsible to go with our first choice without looking around. Also, it's not like whatever we pay the search firm comes off the cap.. does anyone really care how much this costs Woody? I don't think any of our 'top' choices are going anywhere anymore.. with Caldwell gone and the guy in SD signed.. we can really afford to take our time now.

They SHOULD be vetting everybody to find our GM. Not really responsible to go with our first choice without looking around. Also, it's not like whatever we pay the search firm comes off the cap.. does anyone really care how much this costs Woody? I don't think any of our 'top' choices are going anywhere anymore.. with Caldwell gone and the guy in SD signed.. we can really afford to take our time now.

I'm not worried about vetting everybody and really, why should any of us care how much Woody spends on some consulting firm.

But I know that world. A lot of it is BS. It becomes more about upselling, networking, promotions, coming up with a lot of busy work that looks impressive but never says anything. Do we really need to know every candidate or potential candidate that nobody has ever heard of? No. It's PR. It's PR for Woody to show fans they are doing something. It's PR for the firm to show they are worth what's being paid.

From what we've seen so far, they have been more Fluff than results. There is no rhyme or reason to the random names that they've mentioned and I'm sure there are plenty of others. Throwing out some names with a quick blurb about why is one thing, it means you are actually doing homework, throwing out random names just to throw them out there to satisfy the public and the client, that's not worth anything at all. It's BS. Which is great for a consulting firm, terrible for the company hiring them.

True. Having a cap guy run things can be great, as long as he brings in a strong scouting department to rely on. It's much scarier though because it makes us think that we will be seeing the same talent evaluation as the past 4 years.

Exactly...a strong "scout" needs an assistant "cap/contract" guy, and vice versa.

Definitely scary...but despite the trainwreck that was last year, we cant possibly get any lower.

Maybe due to less talent because of cap restrictions...but I have faith that they will get this right...Woody wants that Superbowl $$$

Lol, the glass is half empty, and justified...Im trying to look at it from the opposite side.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Jags new GM David Caldwell on why he went back to Jets for 2nd time: "Shad (Khan) made me go to NY to visit the Jets." #nyj

lol

I watched some highlights of Caldwell new conference. He would have been eaten alive by the NY media by the way he was gulping his way thru the Tebow questions in the presser in Jacksonville,

This sounds like Caldwell wanted to use JETS as a leverage in his Jax negotiations and got called out by Shad Khan.

In a year when so many GM positions are open its difficult to come away with a good candidate. Just because so many teams had already made hires does not mean they will make good GM's. That remains to be seen.

Think the JETS put all their eggs in the Gamble basket. When that interview did not shape up as they wanted so they have been making some panic moves. They could have called up Caldwell earlier if they were so interested. Guys like Telesco were never in the first round of candidates. The Cohen as frontrunner story was just to guage how the fandom reacts to it. It did not go down too well with the fans so the JETS are now reaching out to other candidates.

In a year when so many GM positions are open its difficult to come away with a good candidate. Just because so many teams had already made hires does not mean they will make good GM's. That remains to be seen.

Think the JETS put all their eggs in the Gamble basket. When that interview did not shape up as they wanted so they have been making some panic moves. They could have called up Caldwell earlier if they were so interested. Guys like Telesco were never in the first round of candidates. The Cohen as frontrunner story was just to guage how the fandom reacts to it. It did not go down too well with the fans so the JETS are now reaching out to other candidates.

My biggest concern with all of this is that there doesn't' seem to be a real plan.

We all are fans, but who cares what we think, if the team thinks Cohen is the best man for the job. Or they think he isn't and never even bring him up. It would have been nice if they had Candidates 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on and after interviews and other offers, they found their guy. But it just seems, as you said, they thought Gamble was the guy, he bombed, they had no real backup plan.

Now it just seems like they are throwing out any name and hope somebody is interested. I am curious to know how he bombed though. Did the consulting firm come in like office space and think, "he's not the guy for you" or did he come in and Johnson thought he was a moron. It's one thing to be a shot in the dark and nobody knows who you are, it's another to be the Guy, the Only Guy, and bomb.

And after this debacle, why would anybody hire this consulting firm again? Don't leak any info, line up a bunch of names, do the research, prepare, interview, and then figure out who you want/don't want and move on from there. And do it quickly.

This all just sounds like some fly by night organization who has no clue what they are doing.

How do you know that these GMs dont want to work with Tattoo?

Cimini -

The New York Jets are taking a Ground & Pound approach to their search for a new general manager -- slow and deliberate. There's nothing wrong with that, as long they don't pull a Tony Sparano and play for a field goal. Or, worse, suffer a Butt Fumble.

During their 11 days without a GM, the Jets have reached out to no fewer than 14 prospective candidates, at least seven of whom already have interviewed for the job. To use a pet phrase from former GM Mike Tannenbaum, they're exercising due diligence. They're looking under every rock (another Tannenbaum-ism), and that's a good thing.

The Jets, one of three teams still in the GM market, are trying hard to get this right. They've made so many bad decisions over the years and decades that you can't blame them for being thorough. It's not like they've missed out on any megastar GM prospects.

What about Dave Caldwell, the former Falcons executive? The Jets liked him a lot, but he was just another name in the crowd until Thursday, when, in his first news conference as the Jaguars' GM (perhaps the first of his life), he told Jaguar Nation and the world that he wanted no part of Tim Tebow. Instant headline.

The Jets being the Jets, there's always the possibility they could turn this search into a circus. For now, let's cut them a little slack as we wait for owner Woody Johnson, president Neil Glat and their headhunter pal, Jed Hughes, to make a decision.

Under Johnson's ownership, the Jets have been a keep-it-in-the-family kind of organization, but now is the time to go outside the family and seek a fresh approach. They're doing that -- or at least trying to.

Let's dig a little deeper and examine some trends and myths that have developed during the Jets' search:

The Rex Factor: Johnson announced that Rex Ryan isn't going anywhere, and some people think the keep-Rex mandate is scaring away potential candidates. I'm not sure about that. The GM wannabes know the ground rules before they walk in the door. The Jets made it clear that Ryan is part of the package.

The one semi-big name that spurned the Jets was Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta, but was it because of Ryan? Obviously, he knows Ryan from their time together in Baltimore, but it's hard to believe that's the reason he declined an interview. DeCosta has incentive to remain in Baltimore; he's Ozzie Newsome's heir apparent. He issued a statement the day after the season, saying he's not interested in going anywhere.

A shift in focus? It's interesting to note that, after not being blown away by any of the candidates in the first round of interviews, the Jets set up meetings with two so-called "numbers" guys -- Steelers director of football and business administration Omar Khan and Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik. Khan was scheduled to interview Thursday, Idzik Friday.

They both specialize in contracts and salary cap, not scouting and personnel, meaning they wouldn't be a traditional GM. The Jets started the search looking for a strong talent evaluator who could rebuild a declining roster, so it makes you wonder if they've shifted gears.

Khan's résumé is eerily similar to that of Tannenbaum. Khan is 35, attended Tulane and started out as an intern with the Saints. Tannenbaum earned a law degree from Tulane, spent some time with the Saints and was named GM at 36 after starting out as a capologist.

It would be a mistake to hire a bean-counting, big-picture guy, giving more say in personnel to Ryan. He should stick to coaching, not picking players.

Thinking outside the box -- and country: The Jets are reportedly interested in Jim Popp, the longtime GM of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes. Popp recently interviewed unsuccessfully for the Panthers' GM vacancy.

He's from North Carolina, played at Michigan State, coached at a bunch of different U.S. colleges and probably knows his stuff. But he has no NFL experience. This would be a bold hire by the Jets, probably too bold.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...lecting-new-gm

So we should listen to the media now?

Did Pac just quote Cimini?

A positive article from Cimini and Pac, of all people, quoting him? Am I the only one waiting for the other shoe to drop with this one? Something funny is obviously going on here, because this is just all sorts of wrong.

Either that or we've officially entered the Twilight Zone.

A positive article from Cimini and Pac, of all people, quoting him? Am I the only one waiting for the other shoe to drop with this one? Something funny is obviously going on here, because this is just all sorts of wrong.

Either that or we've officially entered the Twilight Zone.

Offseason. Isn't New Year's a nice time for a Twilight Zone marathon?

Two tidbits from the radio:

1. Peter King told Lupica that the Jets offered Caldwell the job on Monday, along with a large housing allowance and other perks, and he turned them down flat. Now they're interviewing guys "they never imagined they'd have to interview a week ago."

2. Glazer just laughed at Francesa when asked about the Jets GM search, saying that there's no QB, a bad cap situation, and Rex, making it a really tough sell.

2. Glazer just laughed at Francesa when asked about the Jets GM search, saying that there's no QB, a bad cap situation, and Rex, making it a really tough sell.

Uh isn't that the GM's job to fix? If it were an easy, good situation to come into, the previous guy would have done a good job and still had a job.

Two tidbits from the radio:

1. Peter King told Lupica that the Jets offered Caldwell the job on Monday, along with a large housing allowance and other perks, and he turned them down flat. Now they're interviewing guys "they never imagined they'd have to interview a week ago."

The media conspiracy continues.

Archived