Jim Popp GM Speculation thread (MERGED)

CM28

Found this reported by Mehta:

Jim Popp, GM of Montreal Alouettes in CFL, is believed to be on Jets GM radar as well, I'm told. He had been in mix for Panthers job

This, for me who isn´t an american, is kind of interesting. I like the fact of getting a proven GM (CFL) to interview.

Also John Idzik from Seattle seems like a good candiate. Maybe time to sit back and have a little faith again, more so now when it seems like the in-house project is just for good means.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you imagine this place if they hired a guy from CFL......

Oh boy

Yeah that was my first reaction, but you should check him out before you start to cry. The guy has been a GM for a very long time and has done a very good job. When stealing a good GM from another NFL team isn´t an option, why not check this guy out? Or if I am totaly wrong, explain why.

Could you imagine this place if they hired a guy from CFL......

Oh boy

I can't imagine what would happen. Part of me is rooting for it just for the entertainment value.

We paid 200k to get someone from the CFL? LOL..............

Yeah that was my first reaction, but you should check him out before you start to cry. The guy has been a GM for a very long time and has done a very good job. When stealing a good GM from another NFL team isn´t an option, why not check this guy out? Or if I am totaly wrong, explain why.

There is one potentially significant issue with this idea. When you're interviewing personnel guys throughout the league, one of the benefits that comes along with their obvious experience in the field is their preexisting knowledge of the current players throughout the NFL. In an instance like this, you're talking about a guy who isn't going to know much of anything about the league's current player base outside of some basic common knowledge, because those aren't the guys who he's spent his career studying. While the general skills and experience may be there, you're surrendering a whole lot of knowledge and that means, for a fairly significant amount of time, the GM would have to be heavily relying on his staff for all player evaluation. While there's a degree of that for any GM candidate, since they obviously can't know everything about every player, I feel like it would be far more significant in this case than your average GM hire. That would only be compounded by the fact that he'd likely be sporting a staff that would not even be his own, as you certainly aren't going to rely on the CFL scouts he's familiar with to know much about NFL players or, perhaps more importantly, the pool of college players who are certain to be NFL-bound.

There is one potentially significant issue with this idea. When you're interviewing personnel guys throughout the league, one of the benefits that comes along with their obvious experience in the field is their preexisting knowledge of the current players throughout the NFL. In an instance like this, you're talking about a guy who isn't going to know much of anything about the league's current player base outside of some basic common knowledge, because those aren't the guys who he's spent his career studying. While the general skills and experience may be there, you're surrendering a whole lot of knowledge and that means, for a fairly significant amount of time, the GM would have to be heavily relying on his staff for all player evaluation. While there's a degree of that for any GM candidate, since they obviously can't know everything about every player, I feel like it would be far more significant in this case than your average GM hire. That would only be compounded by the fact that he'd likely be sporting a staff that would not even be his own, as you certainly aren't going to rely on the CFL scouts he's familiar with to know much about NFL players or, perhaps more importantly, the pool of college players who are certain to be NFL-bound.

On the other side, talent changes so fast in NFL he would up to speed ASAP. If he feels we have scouts who have done due diligence on draft and evaluators who know current guys we could pick up , you get a guy who has proven from a organazational POV he can be the CEO/GM type and run a sound shop.

Being a talent evaluator or cap guy reporting to a Proven GM is like a great OC or DC reporting to a Proven HC. All the OCs and DCs dont turn out to be great HCs. Some of the talent/cap guys dont turn out to be great GMs. This guy has been best GM in CFL for 12 years.

On the other side, talent changes so fast in NFL he would up to speed ASAP. If he feels we have scouts who have done due diligence on draft and evaluators who know current guys we could pick up , you get a guy who has proven from a organazational POV he can be the CEO/GM type and run a sound shop.

Being a talent evaluator or cap guy reporting to a Proven GM is like a great OC or DC reporting to a Proven HC. All the OCs and DCs dont turn out to be great HCs. Some of the talent/cap guys dont turn out to be great GMs. This guy has been best GM in CFL for 12 years.

I don't disagree that there is the potential, in the long run, for it to work out, but you'd have to realize going in that he's going to be deferring a lot in the beginning to the likes of Bradway & Co in terms of player evaluation, even with the FA pool, as he's just not going to have the knowledge about these guys. Granted, in the end he would be able to look at these guys himself before actually making a final decision, but it would be a matter of getting to that point. I certainly don't think it's destined for failure, but I think you're essentially looking at a different type of learning curve than what you'd see in your normal GM hire.

I tend to agree with SouthernJet. First year will probably not be his finest but I think he or someone like him would be a great long term solution. And that has to be what matters. Stability.

I don't disagree that there is the potential, in the long run, for it to work out, but you'd have to realize going in that he's going to be deferring a lot in the beginning to the likes of Bradway & Co in terms of player evaluation, even with the FA pool, as he's just not going to have the knowledge about these guys. Granted, in the end he would be able to look at these guys himself before actually making a final decision, but it would be a matter of getting to that point. I certainly don't think it's destined for failure, but I think you're essentially looking at a different type of learning curve than what you'd see in your normal GM hire.

We have 'the beginning' to work with .I am more than willing to let 2013 be a NFL learning curve since he is FAR more proven in being a GM already. The other guys would be ahead of curve talent wise, but need to learn to be a GM. So six of one so to speak.

Don´t know about that. Look at the Tanny-era..

Steve Mariucci tweeted last night that he would be a great hire:

Steve Mariucci@SteveMariucci

Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL !!!! Mark my words !

One thing that a CFL GM has to know is what NFL rejects can play, whoa re the guys at the end of NFL benches who can or might contribute and what CFL talent he can raid.By defintion he is already a bottom feeder who has to know the same talent pool an NFL GM would have to know.

Exactly the reasons Wrecks Ryan, King of the New York Jets, will have no use for such a man.

With the New York Jets still looking to fill their vacant general manager position they have turned their attention to the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes executive Jim Popp and this is a name Jets fans should want to hear.

As GM of the Alouettes Popp has created a successful program for the past 15 seasons.  He started as player personnel director for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.  Spending two years there helping them make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.  With only two years to build, that accomplishment is remarkable.

Prior to becoming a front office executive, Popp was a coach at the Citadel, North Carolina and Michigan State (where he also played 4 years collegiately).  College coaches know a thing or two about recruiting, particularly at schools that haven’t been college football powerhouses in the past.  He’s originally from North Carolina which made him a top candidate for the Carolina Panther’s GM opening this year.  That job was filled by Giants executive Dave Gettleman.  It is believed that Popp was the finalist and the Panthers were mulling both options for a few days.

Jet fans should put aside the fact that he’s been a GM in the CFL because of one reason:  Personnel.  The CFL doesn’t have the best talent (as everyone knows), in fact, a lot of players are college players who didn’t make it in the NFL or weren’t talented enough to make it onto a practice squad.  To be a GM for 15 years, make the playoffs every year except 2001 and 2007, win 4 championships and 10 Grey Cups with limited talent, Popp should be considered a priority for the Jets to interview.

With the Jets only having 39 players signed for next season (6 who most likely will be cut making it 33), Popp could get the most out of the free agent class when he has limited funds to spend.  He will go for the best quality guys for those 18-20 positions for the least amount of money.  Whether it is guys signing to veteran minimum contracts, or undrafted free agents, Popp could be a sleeper in this extensive GM search.

Additionally, the Jets have signed a few CFL players to future/reserve contracts to their roster in the past few weeks, so it’s apparent, they know of Popp’s potential to find the best guys at the cheapest price.  The CBA in the CFL allows teams a salary cap of 4.4 million dollars.  The Jets, after rookie contracts and cuts, will have roughly between 5-9 million dollars to spend in 2013 on current free agents and undrafted free agents.

If there were a guy who could do the most with the least amount of money out of all the GM candidates wouldn’t Popp be the guy?  Additionally, with the top GM candidates turning the Jets down or using them as leverage, a guy like Popp, who’s looking for his opportunity in the NFL, would be very enticed to take a job in New York regardless of their current salary cap issues.  In fact, it may be an easier transition for him, as he’s used to having limited funds.

If the Jets are looking for best option of the GMs left, Popp should be considered on top of their list.  His ability to find the “best of the worst” is all the more reason to give him the opportunity to rebuild this franchise.  The Jets need a talent scout/evaluator as well as a guy who can manage the salary cap.  They cannot afford a finance guy or strictly a personnel guy.  A GM who is a manager and well rounded such as Popp should be the guy for the job.  Jed Hughes, who’s helping Woody Johnson through this arduous but necessary thorough search will choose the best guy for the organization.  The GM hired could very possibly be Jim Popp.

One thing that a CFL GM has to know is what NFL rejects can play, whoa re the guys at the end of NFL benches who can or might contribute and what CFL talent he can raid.By defintion he is already a bottom feeder who has to know the same talent pool an NFL GM would have to know.

Exactly the reasons Wrecks Ryan, King of the New York Jets, will have no use for such a man.

why should we believe Rex has any say in who the next GM is gonna be? Because he was at the press conference? As for the original statement that's true, when you go to the combine or senior bowl, the Cfl staffs are there too, they look at all the guys too.

why should we believe Rex has any say in who the next GM is gonna be? Because he was at the press conference? As for the original statement that's true, when you go to the combine or senior bowl, the Cfl staffs are there too, they look at all the guys too.

Seemed from the press conference if you take it at face value Wrecks Ryan is the Jets, period.

I disagree. Especially when our team is looking to be financially strapped.

If you look at our favorite team from the North, they are constantly getting bargain-basement deals on players who still have viable talent in the league... the name Danny Woodhead comes to mind but there are plenty others. Perhaps a quality bottom-feeding GM is Exactly what we need, and I don't see his hiring as being exclusive. Maybe we can pair him with a talented personell guy like Gamble and a numbers guy like Khan, and create a legitimate front office.

I would have no issues with it if he's good, but its like getting a HC from college. They should know scouting, recruiting, this and that, and many fail at the NFL level for a variety of reasons. The transition from a league that most people don't even know about or watch to a league and a team where every move is going to be questioned, is something that can't be taught.

A guy from Ohio might be afraid of joining the Jets. A guy from an entirely different football league, a league that most people don't watch, would be interesting.

I tend to agree with SouthernJet. First year will probably not be his finest but I think he or someone like him would be a great long term solution. And that has to be what matters. Stability.

POPP has worked with our former HC WALT MICHAELS. POPP has an extensive football background and should not be dismissed so lightly! I guess the guys who are mocking POPP also mocked CAMERON WAKE, KURT WARNER, COOKIE GILCREST, WARREN MOON and several other CFL players that excelled in the NFL.

Poop won't cut it. His first bust pick and the media will be screaming about the lack of his NFL experience.

We need someone inside the box. Maybe Cohen it is. Atleast the way the search is going and the quality of candidates that are getting interviewed it seems like the JETS want Cohen to look like the saving grace!

POPP has worked with our former HC WALT MICHAELS. POPP has an extensive football background and should not be dismissed so lightly! I guess the guys who are mocking POPP also mocked CAMERON WAKE, KURT WARNER, COOKIE GILCREST, WARREN MOON and several other CFL players that excelled in the NFL.

Hey, I´m sold on Popp already.

And here is more on Popp from the start page:

CFL’s Jim Popp Would Be NY Jets Best GM Option

by Ron Pickett on January 10, 2013

email.png

With the New York Jets still looking to fill their vacant general manager position they have turned their attention to the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes executive Jim Popp and this is a name Jets fans should want to hear.

As GM of the Alouettes Popp has created a successful program for the past 15 seasons. He started as player personnel director for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Spending two years there helping them make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. With only two years to build, that accomplishment is remarkable.

Prior to becoming a front office executive, Popp was a coach at the Citadel, North Carolina and Michigan State (where he also played 4 years collegiately). College coaches know a thing or two about recruiting, particularly at schools that haven’t been college football powerhouses in the past. He’s originally from North Carolina which made him a top candidate for the Carolina Panther’s GM opening this year. That job was filled by Giants executive Dave Gettleman. It is believed that Popp was the finalist and the Panthers were mulling both options for a few days.

Jet fans should put aside the fact that he’s been a GM in the CFL because of one reason: Personnel. The CFL doesn’t have the best talent (as everyone knows), in fact, a lot of players are college players who didn’t make it in the NFL or weren’t talented enough to make it onto a practice squad. To be a GM for 15 years, make the playoffs every year except 2001 and 2007, win 4 championships and 10 Grey Cups with limited talent, Popp should be considered a priority for the Jets to interview.

With the Jets only having 39 players signed for next season (6 who most likely will be cut making it 33), Popp could get the most out of the free agent class when he has limited funds to spend. He will go for the best quality guys for those 18-20 positions for the least amount of money. Whether it is guys signing to veteran minimum contracts, or undrafted free agents, Popp could be a sleeper in this extensive GM search.

Additionally, the Jets have signed a few CFL players to future/reserve contracts to their roster in the past few weeks, so it’s apparent, they know of Popp’s potential to find the best guys at the cheapest price. The CBA in the CFL allows teams a salary cap of 4.4 million dollars. The Jets, after rookie contracts and cuts, will have roughly between 5-9 million dollars to spend in 2013 on current free agents and undrafted free agents.

If there were a guy who could do the most with the least amount of money out of all the GM candidates wouldn’t Popp be the guy? Additionally, with the top GM candidates turning the Jets down or using them as leverage, a guy like Popp, who’s looking for his opportunity in the NFL, would be very enticed to take a job in New York regardless of their current salary cap issues. In fact, it may be an easier transition for him, as he’s used to having limited funds.

If the Jets are looking for best option of the GMs left, Popp should be considered on top of their list. His ability to find the “best of the worst” is all the more reason to give him the opportunity to rebuild this franchise. The Jets need a talent scout/evaluator as well as a guy who can manage the salary cap. They cannot afford a finance guy or strictly a personnel guy. A GM who is a manager and well rounded such as Popp should be the guy for the job. Jed Hughes, who’s helping Woody Johnson through this arduous but necessary thorough search will choose the best guy for the organization. The GM hired could very possibly be Jim Popp.

Poop won't cut it. His first bust pick and the media will be screaming about the lack of his NFL experience.

We need someone inside the box. Maybe Cohen it is. Atleast the way the search is going and the quality of candidates that are getting interviewed it seems like the JETS want Cohen to look like the saving grace!

I can only speak for myself but I would be more forgiving if someone like Popp made a bust pick in his first draft. Wouldn´t it be worse if someone with all the NFL experience made it?

I can only speak for myself but I would be more forgiving if someone like Popp made a bust pick in his first draft. Wouldn´t it be worse if someone with all the NFL experience made it?

In that case you are only speaking for own self. Not the media circus surrounding the JETS. A Poop hiring is destined to fail!

Honestly at this point, I'd rather the Jets just hire a damn GM and get it over with. Start hiring coaches, scouts, start scouting players, figure out what the hell they are doing with Tebow and Sanchez and everybody else on this roster. Figure out what they are doing with the cap, etc.

All this PR about "what GM" is just pointless. They didn't get the candidates they supposedly wanted, now its like the bargain basement hunt for some name that will never get the "WOW can't wait." Whether it's the guy from Canada, the guy from Miami, the guy from the Steelers, or the guy in the Jets front office already, it really is a crap shoot. They all could be great. They all could suck. They all could just be avg.

The whole PR "look at us, we are interviewing so many people" sounds like a Woody PR move and a Consulting firm that has to prove they are worth a couple hundred thousand bucks. For me, just get the damn process over with and hopefully the person does a great job and builds a great department, builds a great staff, builds a great team, and can handle the cap. Because again, none of these guys excite me or disgust me, they are really no names who want to be the GM. Or they don't.

How many top picks, bust or not, really matter in the long run?

It's great to make good first round picks, but look at the teams who seem to win year after year.

Ravens... They took Flaco with the 18th pick, but how many times do the Ravens even pick in the top 10?

Steelers... They aren't know to make some big splashy picks. They dump the Buresses, Holmes, etc and still win.

The Patriots. They seem to know how to make smart decisions in the draft and free agency.

The Eagles for years dumped aging players and replaced them with younger versions of the same player.

Packers. Rodgers was a guy who fell to them, not a guy they traded everything away for.

Honestly I'd rather the Jets find a guy or staff who mimic winning teams who care more about winning over making the big bad splashy pick.

Building a winning team year after year seems to be the motto of the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, even Giants. It's really not about having a bust, but building a team that can win over the long haul. And replacing players, coaches, scouts year after year. It seems the Jets and most other teams in the NFL want to 'hit that homerun' with one pick and always wind up stinking year after year or they wind up in the middle of the pack year after year with an entire new regime every few seasons.

Archived