Offensive Coordinator Talk (MERGED)

jets22

this team is a joke what has happend??????? Gamble loked like a great fit for us, now we are looking at no names for the GM job, im just so sick of how bad we have gotten and we are the joke of the nfl. f- - - them

imagine the candidates we'd be talking about if we didn't hire an elite headhunter!

Coach-Danny-grease-the-movie-20408873-1024-675.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least we don't have Ray Rice for him to not use. And Flacco is self-proclaimed elite.

All kidding aside... There are worse options than Cam.

Cam has built good offenses everywhere he goes, not great, but good. If Rex's D goes back to being elite, that may be enough. That said, I don't want to shoot for average here.

Report: Jets will interview Stanford OC

The Jets will interview Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton for their offensive-coordinator vacancy, according to CBSSports.com. The meeting will occur Monday or Tuesday.

Hamilton has no coordinator experience on the NFL level, but he worked as a quarterbacks coach with the Jets (1994-1995), 49ers (2006) and Bears (2007-2009). He has been at Stanford since 2010, coaching wide receivers, quarterbacks (Andrew Luck) and ascending to the coordinator job in 2011.

Nationally, Stanford was No. 6 in scoring and No. 11 in total offense.

Report: Jets will interview Stanford OC

The Jets will interview Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton for their offensive-coordinator vacancy, according to CBSSports.com. The meeting will occur Monday or Tuesday.

Hamilton has no coordinator experience on the NFL level, but he worked as a quarterbacks coach with the Jets (1994-1995), 49ers (2006) and Bears (2007-2009). He has been at Stanford since 2010, coaching wide receivers, quarterbacks (Andrew Luck) and ascending to the coordinator job in 2011.

Nationally, Stanford was No. 6 in scoring and No. 11 in total offense.

Ordinarily, I'd like a candidate like this, but I think Rex needs a head coach for his OC, not an up & comer.

The New York Jets are interviewing former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron for their vacant offensive coordinator position today according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News citing a source.

Cameron was fired this season by the Ravens.  Prior to joining the Ravens, Cameron served as head coach for the Miami Dolphins for one year and was offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers before taking the Miami job.

Ordinarily, I'd like a candidate like this, but I think Rex needs a head coach for his OC, not an up & comer.

I'm not so sure. He just needs a good coach because he probably isn't going to meddle in the O. What I think he really needs is a strong presence in the FO looking to get some offensive talent. I don't think he needs a "head" coach because he will take care of the rah rah stuff and just needs a solid coach and play caller.

I'm not so sure. He just needs a good coach because he probably isn't going to meddle in the O. What I think he really needs is a strong presence in the FO looking to get some offensive talent. I don't think he needs a "head" coach because he will take care of the rah rah stuff and just needs a solid coach and play caller.

+1

They already tried hiring a former HC at OC to help Rex out. Getting a strong GM and more good players should be the new plan and that is what it looks to be.

Hue Jackson, Pat Shurmur interviewing with Panthers Monday

Posted by Josh Alper on January 14, 2013, 3:55 PM EST

300x-25.jpg?w=244

Reuters

The Browns hired Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski to replaced the fired Pat Shurmur as their head coach.

That left the Panthers with an opening for an offensive coordinator and, in a twist worthy of a romantic comedy, they are reportedly interviewing Shurmur for the position on Monday. Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer first reported the team’s interest in Shurmur last week and reported their meeting with Shurmur as well.

Person also reports that it is expected that the Panthers would ask Shurmur to seriously overhaul or scrap altogether the West Coast offense he’s run in other places because it is a bad fit for their personnel. That raises the question of why they’d be interested in hiring a coach whose experience is with an offense that doesn’t interest them, but we suppose there’s always a chance that Shurmur has secretly yearned to run a completely different scheme than the one that has taken him this far in his career.

That’s not the only news on the Panthers offensive coordinator interview front. As Albert Breer of the NFL Network reported over the weekend, that Bengals assistant Hue Jackson also interviewed with the team on Monday. Based on his past history running offenses, there wouldn’t seem to be the same need for Jackson to scrap his preferred scheme if he got the job.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/in_search_of_attack_style_jets.html

In search of attack style, Jets looking at four candidates for offensive coordinator

Former Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, center, appears to be on the Jets' short list of finalists for the same position. (Photo by Howard Smith/US Presswire)

By Conor Orr/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger

on January 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM, updated January 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Jets coach Rex Ryan has said he believes he was holding the team back because of his insistence on the ground-and-pound and reluctance to implement a more aggressive offense after 2009.

At his season-ending news conference last week, he hinted at the predictability of former offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and promised to return next fall with a more attack-oriented offense.

After informing Sparano of his dismissal early in the morning, he had a list of candidates ready by noon.

“I think before, maybe I misjudged the thing about I just want to ground-and-pound, that type of mentality,” Ryan said. “Maybe I bought into that more than maybe I should have. Maybe I needed to be more open-minded and look at things a little bit differently, but we have to have it.”

That list appears to include former Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, former Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, according to reports from the New York Daily News, the New York Post and CBS Sports.

Cameron reportedly interviewed Monday, although his agent, Gary O’Hagan, said he did not have knowledge of a meeting. Mornhinweg interviewed last week, and Hamilton is expected to interview Tuesday.

Of the four candidates, hiring Cameron would seem to be a familiar step for the Jets, which might not be the best thing. Cameron and former Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are similarly rooted in their philosophies and schemes, having both served on the Chargers’ staff. The Jets parted ways with Schottenheimer after the 2011 season.

From the start of 2008 through Week 15 this season, Cameron’s offenses in Baltimore cracked the top 15 only once; the Ravens were 13th in total offense in 2009 (351.2 yards per game), and they were 18th in the league (344 yards per game) when Cameron was fired on Dec. 20.

One of the steady criticisms of Cameron’s game plans was the lack of touches for the team’s playmaker, Ray Rice. Numerous Ravens players complained to the Baltimore Sun about the “vanilla” style offense. Quarterback Joe Flacco publicly expressed his frustration about moving away from a no-huddle offense.

However, his familiarity with Ryan — the two worked together in Baltimore — and his success in San Diego as offensive coordinator from 2002-06 — the Chargers’ passing offense rose in the league standings in each of his first four years there — could override the end of his tenure with the Ravens.

Hamilton, 38, is considered a rising star in coaching circles and has a history with the Jets as an offensive assistant (2003), quarterbacks coach (2004) and wide receivers coach (2005).

At Stanford this past season, the Cardinal had just 10 interceptions and averaged more than 5½ yards per play. Stanford passed the ball 42 percent of the time, which is a similar balance to that of Sparano with the Jets this season.

Mornhinweg, despite a woeful and injury-riddled 2012 for his offense, comes off a seven-year tenure with the Eagles. He had Philadelphia in the top 10 in total offense five times and never below 15th, but he also drew criticism for arguably underutilizing running back LeSean McCoy. Mornhinweg has said in the past that he favors a 60-to-40 pass-to-run ratio, which could match with Ryan’s desire to be more aggressive.“I want to be more of an attack-style team whether it’s running the pistol or running different types of offenses,” Ryan said at the news conference. “That’s what I’m looking to do. I want to be as hard as we are to attack defensively, I want to be the same way on offense.”

Shurmur was fired as head coach of the Browns at the end of the regular season.

Note: The Jets were prepared to give Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell a $1 million housing allowance in his contract during their second interview, according to Sports Illustrated.

Caldwell, who was the Falcons’ director of player personnel, chose the Jaguars shortly after meeting with the Jets last week.

Jim Popp, the general manager of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, is still in the mix for the Jets GM job, according to the Montreal Gazette. Also, don't count out Dolphins assistant GM Brain Gaine, who interviewed with the team last week, just yet.

Archived