Laron Landry

Lupz27

it depends on the pick. dee milliner wouldn't be that much cheaper. early 2nd round would be more like a kyle wilson, yes that's big savings. but if you are trading Revis only to use 9 on a (worser) corner, they are not saving much and getting worse at the same time.

Also the Jets don't get cap relief/save money until 2014 if we trade him this year, he would escalate 12 million of dead money on to the 2013 cap if traded. So the only way to trade him is really if you decide to blow the whole thing up, and take 2013, as a rebuilding year.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it depends on the pick. dee milliner wouldn't be that much cheaper. early 2nd round would be more like a kyle wilson, yes that's big savings. but if you are trading Revis only to use 9 on a (worser) corner, they are not saving much and getting worse at the same time.

Last year's #9 pick received just over $3 million / year. Hell, these days #1 overall pick is getting just over $5 million / year. Revis is looking for in the neighborhood of $16 million / year. It's not even close.

Unless of course you're suggesting that the Jets don't extend Revis, instead letting him play out his contract. In that case, you'd be arguing that 1 year of Revis is worth more than the combined value of everything the Jets could get for Revis in return, which would be downright laughable. Please tell me that's not your argument. Again, this is all assuming the Jets receive a respectable trade offer for Revis, considering that your position all along has been that the Jets should absolutely not even consider it regardless of what they may be offered.

Also the Jets don't get cap relief/save money until 2014 if we trade him this year, he would escalate 12 million of dead money on to the 2013 cap if traded. So the only way to trade him is really if you decide to blow the whole thing up, and take 2013, as a rebuilding year.

Yeah, but that's the entire point. This isn't all about looking at what would make a sh*tty Jets team slightly better or worse for one season that's likely to be a complete sh*t-show regardless. The point is which direction is of the greatest long-term benefit for the team overall. While that's certainly not guaranteed to be getting rid of Revis, it sure as hell isn't a sure bet to be keeping him either, which is why the you can't eliminate the possibility and have to at least listen to any offers that may come.

Last year's #9 pick received just over $3 million / year. Hell, these days #1 overall pick is getting just over $5 million / year. Revis is looking for in the neighborhood of $16 million / year. It's not even close.

Unless of course you're suggesting that the Jets don't extend Revis, instead letting him play out his contract. In that case, you'd be arguing that 1 year of Revis is worth more than the combined value of everything the Jets could get for Revis in return, which would be downright laughable. Please tell me that's not your argument. Again, this is all assuming the Jets receive a respectable trade offer for Revis, considering that your position all along has been that the Jets should absolutely not even consider it regardless of what they may be offered.

Two years ago, the Cardinals sent DRC and a 2nd round pick to Philly for Kevin Kolb.

Revis should fetch, at minimum: a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick (that can escalate into a 1st).

Yeah, but that's the entire point. This isn't all about looking at what would make a sh*tty Jets team slightly better or worse for one season that's likely to be a complete sh*t-show regardless. The point is which direction is of the greatest long-term benefit for the team overall. While that's certainly not guaranteed to be getting rid of Revis, it sure as hell isn't a sure bet to be keeping him either, which is why the you can't eliminate the possibility and have to at least listen to any offers that may come.

No disagreement here, if it were up to me I would trade Revis, Cromartie, and cut every single player that is useless to me in the future, Sanchez, Harris, Holmes, ect. take all the cap hits in 2013, stock up on as many draft picks as possible for the 2013, and 2014 drafts, play nothing but rookies, and scrubs in 2013 except for the poor guys who are my foundation for 2014, and beyond like Mangold, Wilk, Colpes ect.. Finish the 2013 season 1-15 draft my franchise QB 1st overall, and hopefully I have ATLEAST 1 other 1st round pick in 2014 from trading Revis, and Cromartie, and start to replenish my Veteran FA's with all the crazy cap space created from escalating all dead money hits on the Jets bad deals to the 2013 cap, Jets would be competing at a high level no latter then 2015.

But we all know Woody Johnson would never allow anything remotely close to this scenario to happen so it is pointless to even talk about. He will demand the new GM to figure a way to get even in deeper future cap hell to make it possible to sign more players for this upcoming season because he wants to win now at all costs.

Unless of course you're suggesting that the Jets don't extend Revis, instead letting him play out his contract. In that case, you'd be arguing that 1 year of Revis is worth more than the combined value of everything the Jets could get for Revis in return, which would be downright laughable. Please tell me that's not your argument.

how do you know that Revis is looking for 16 per? The negotiations might start at 16 but the ACL tear kills his leverage. If he had stayed healthy and made another all pro team, then yes he might ask for (and get) that kind of money. The Revis market is cold right now. Cro is more tradable because the league is about what have you done for me lately. No GM is gonna offer multiple ones for a guy who missed the last 13 games of the season.

as for your second line i do think 1 year of Revis is worth something. Jets fans are worried about what the team is gonna look like in 2014, like the Romans said eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we will die. There is no huge long term vision in the NFL, these teams are churning through players and dumb salary cap stuff aside, there's only the present.

We are supposed to sit here and plan for 5 years from now? after next season? who knows what the world will be like. We could be all flying around in Jet pants.

No disagreement here, if it were up to me I would trade Revis, Cromartie, and cut every single player that is useless to me in the future, Sanchez, Harris, Holmes, ect. take all the cap hits in 2013, stock up on as many draft picks as possible for the 2013, and 2014 drafts, play nothing but rookies, and scrubs in 2013 except for the poor guys who are my foundation for 2014, and beyond like Mangold, Wilk, Colpes ect.. Finish the 2013 season 1-15 draft my franchise QB 1st overall, and hopefully I have ATLEAST 1 other 1st round pick in 2014 from trading Revis, and Cromartie, and start to replenish my Veteran FA's with all the crazy cap space created from escalating all dead money hits on the Jets bad deals to the 2013 cap, Jets would be competing at a high level no latter then 2015.

But we all know Woody Johnson would never allow anything remotely close to this scenario to happen so it is pointless to even talk about. He will demand the new GM to figure a way to get even in deeper future cap hell to make it possible to sign more players for this upcoming season because he wants to win now at all costs.

this is an awfully brave plan that involves going 1-15. It's great to talk about the long term. Living week to week through a 1-15 season is brutal for any NFL team. It's the worst. These guys, the 53 men on the roster, would be miserable. The coaches would be miserable. Everyone would be in danger of losing their livlihood including the new GM. The Jets go through people like toilet paper. Would a new GM keep his job after 1-15? and the fanbase. We cried at 8-8, we screamed at 6-10, 1-15 they will need riot police at Metlife stadium.

I like how people want to move Revis and cut Harris, but are counting on Coples as being part of the future. This team was 6-10 with the worst QB play I have seen in my life and I am not a young man. There are lot more quality pieces on this team than people want to give credit. Sanchez didn't just suck this year, he rolled up into a ball and let teams kick us. Yes the team is not perfect even excepting the QB. Yes there is work that needs to be done, but they don't need to gut the team to be great in 2014. They already will have cap space in 2014.

how do you know that Revis is looking for 16 per? The negotiations might start at 16 but the ACL tear kills his leverage. If he had stayed healthy and made another all pro team, then yes he might ask for (and get) that kind of money. The Revis market is cold right now. Cro is more tradable because the league is about what have you done for me lately. No GM is gonna offer multiple ones for a guy who missed the last 13 games of the season.

as for your second line i do think 1 year of Revis is worth something. Jets fans are worried about what the team is gonna look like in 2014, like the Romans said eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we will die. There is no huge long term vision in the NFL, these teams are churning through players and dumb salary cap stuff aside, there's only the present.

We are supposed to sit here and plan for 5 years from now? after next season? who knows what the world will be like. We could be all flying around in Jet pants.

Unless the Jets find themselves a QB in the next 3 months, one season of Revis isn't worth a damn thing to the Jets. That means, either make sure he's going to be lasting a lot longer than that, or else get something in return for him that will. And yes, the Jets absolutely are supposed to plan for things beyond just this season. When you don't, that's exactly how you end up with the kind of sh*t show the Jets find themselves in the middle of. It's exactly the kind of logic you're using that got Tanny fired, mortgaging the future for what you think might be of slight help in the present.

this is an awfully brave plan that involves going 1-15. It's great to talk about the long term. Living week to week through a 1-15 season is brutal for any NFL team. It's the worst. These guys, the 53 men on the roster, would be miserable. The coaches would be miserable. Everyone would be in danger of losing their livlihood including the new GM. The Jets go through people like toilet paper. Would a new GM keep his job after 1-15? and the fanbase. We cried at 8-8, we screamed at 6-10, 1-15 they will need riot police at Metlife stadium.

See this is the main problem, the Jets, and Woody Johnson are ALWAYS worried about what everyone else thinks, and to run a NFL team this way is why we are always getting laughed at, if the Colts panicked last year, and traded for a semi competent QB to go 6-10 because they were worried about what their fan base thought, they would be milling about at that record for 10+ years if they never got Peyton back, going 1-15 to get Luck was the best thing that happened to them since they did the same when they got Peyton. And YES I do believe their is the next franchise QB available at 1st overall in the 2014, YES things can change from now to then, but that is MY OPINION.

I like how people want to move Revis and cut Harris, but are counting on Coples as being part of the future. This team was 6-10 with the worst QB play I have seen in my life and I am not a young man. There are lot more quality pieces on this team than people want to give credit. Sanchez didn't just suck this year, he rolled up into a ball and let teams kick us. Yes the team is not perfect even excepting the QB. Yes there is work that needs to be done, but they don't need to gut the team to be great in 2014. They already will have cap space in 2014.

Completely this... except the part about Harris. he is expensive, and in my opinion isn't worth the price tag. He is an old school backer that doesn't fit in anymore. Nowadays you need someone who can do more than be a slightly more agile lineman. In closing, he isn't dynamic enough for me to warrant that dynamic contract.

See this is the main problem, the Jets, and Woody Johnson are ALWAYS worried about what everyone else thinks, and to run a NFL team this way is why we are always getting laughed at, if the Colts panicked last year, and traded for a semi competent QB to go 6-10 because they were worried about what their fan base thought, they would be milling about at that record for 10+ years if they never got Peyton back, going 1-15 to get Luck was the best thing that happened to them since they did the same when they got Peyton. And YES I do believe their is the next franchise QB available at 1st overall in the 2014, YES things can change from now to then, but that is MY OPINION.

YOUR OPINION isn't the point. We knew for years before they came out that Peyton and Luck were generational stars at QB. Sucking for Luck was a plan from the start of the season. We wouldn't be sucking for Luck (or Peyton) we'd just be sucking.

Completely this... except the part about Harris. he is expensive, and in my opinion isn't worth the price tag. He is an old school backer that doesn't fit in anymore. Nowadays you need someone who can do more than be a slightly more agile lineman. In closing, he isn't dynamic enough for me to warrant that dynamic contract.

I agree about Harris. He is a decent player, not a perfect fit for every D and grossly overpaid. I just don't see the point in paying him to play elsewhere when we should be well under the cap for 2014. Jason has been saying for 2 years or so that our window was done until 2014 when we could again reload. It's not a surprise and it doesn't require gutting the team.

YOUR OPINION isn't the point. We knew for years before they came out that Peyton and Luck were generational stars at QB. Sucking for Luck was a plan from the start of the season. We wouldn't be sucking for Luck (or Peyton) we'd just be sucking.

I agree about Harris. He is a decent player, not a perfect fit for every D and grossly overpaid. I just don't see the point in paying him to play elsewhere when we should be well under the cap for 2014. Jason has been saying for 2 years or so that our window was done until 2014 when we could again reload. It's not a surprise and it doesn't require gutting the team.

Oh OK. Yeah, I admit I am not that verse when it comes to the cap. I don't want to cut someone for the sake of cutting them, especially when its someone the caliber of Harris. If its going to make room for us by letting him go.. yes. But if its cutting him, and him still getting paid by us.. no thanks. He isn't the problem.

Pure drivel to even utter any material of cutting Harris. They guys contract for the most point is guaranteed. What is the exact number? I believe $32 mil of his 36 mil is guaranteed. I know many hate that his cap figure is so high but annually it what he;s worth. What he only made $2.5 mil the 1st year of his contract so place that blame on his contract structure. As for his play he's missing a healthy Pouha. Look at the Titans game and the guards where reaching the second level at will against him.

As for Revis you can only dream you get your hands on elite players in the draft. So now that we have one we shouldn't keep him because of his price tag that we aren't even sure about in regards to the details? With the cap not being a problem in the future I would hope to lock him up and make him the number one priority this/next off season. If we have to trade Holmes to do so then so be it.

As for Landry, would love to have him back but wouldn't be too mad if he wasn't able to be retain. There's guys similar to the situation he was in last off-season who we can target. Kenny Phillips and Louis Delmas who should come affordable. Best case scenario would be to sign Landry and be able to place him with one of these guys. But that would call for the reconstructing of Mangold and Harris to free up $11 mil in cap room. As for Bell, I would rather invest in a younger project then a stop gap but love him as a player. As for as the draft goes I like Jefferson from, Oklahoma. If we can get him in the second that would be good. But of course this would acquire a plan of getting the offense in check.

The Colts went 2-14 but it wasn't like they planned on going 2-14. A lot of Manning haters still thought the Colts would win 7-9 games. And a lot of others thought Manning would miraculously return last season. So it wasn't like the Colts suddenly planned to go 2-14, draft Luck and the rest is history. It was one of those bad years all around and exposed a bad coach who lived off of Manning after Dungy retired. They cleaned house, got rid of Manning, rid of the GM, rid of the coaching staff, drafted Luck and others, and wound up in the playoffs. But it wasn't this "lets go 1-15 so we can get Luck" philosophy.

And it wasn't like the Colts tanked the season. More like they just sucked. If the Jets tanked the season and went 2-14, why would a new GM really keep his job? Especially if it's a guy like a Kahn or Cohen. It would mean the guys he brought in to coach, the guys he drafted, all stunk. It wouldn't be about the fans, but about this GM is clueless. He could fire Rex, but the issue becomes, does the guy really know how to scout, sign, draft?

The Colts went 2-14 and fired almost everybody in the organization. And you're talking about a team who was a super bowl contender every year and a 12+ wins team every year since 2000. Yes that was because of Manning, but still, the team won. Suddenly Manning is out for the year, they go 2-14, and everybody is fired. And Manning is let go. I'm not sure where that gets the Jets in 2014.

And is there even an Andrew Luck ? No. So go 1-15 and wind up with another Sanchez...great.

The Colts went 2-14 but it wasn't like they planned on going 2-14. A lot of Manning haters still thought the Colts would win 7-9 games. And a lot of others thought Manning would miraculously return last season. So it wasn't like the Colts suddenly planned to go 2-14, draft Luck and the rest is history. It was one of those bad years all around and exposed a bad coach who lived off of Manning after Dungy retired. They cleaned house, got rid of Manning, rid of the GM, rid of the coaching staff, drafted Luck and others, and wound up in the playoffs. But it wasn't this "lets go 1-15 so we can get Luck" philosophy.

And it wasn't like the Colts tanked the season. More like they just sucked. If the Jets tanked the season and went 2-14, why would a new GM really keep his job? Especially if it's a guy like a Kahn or Cohen. It would mean the guys he brought in to coach, the guys he drafted, all stunk. It wouldn't be about the fans, but about this GM is clueless. He could fire Rex, but the issue becomes, does the guy really know how to scout, sign, draft?

The Colts went 2-14 and fired almost everybody in the organization. And you're talking about a team who was a super bowl contender every year and a 12+ wins team every year since 2000. Yes that was because of Manning, but still, the team won. Suddenly Manning is out for the year, they go 2-14, and everybody is fired. And Manning is let go. I'm not sure where that gets the Jets in 2014.

And is there even an Andrew Luck ? No. So go 1-15 and wind up with another Sanchez...great.

EVERYONE new starting C Painter guaranteed the Colts couldn't compete, if they really thought they had enough to win they would have signed, or traded for a average QB Painter couldn't get a job starting in a semi pro league he is that bad and the Colts new that.

And yes I believe Johnny Manziel IS the next great thing to come along, and not just because of his playmaking ability with his feet, he is the most accurate passer I have EVER seen while running/scrambling out of the pocket, seriously dude drops dimes like P Manning, but while running full speed, and even throwing across his body, he is the next IT QB, he would sell Woody every PSL, and add life to this franchise the likes it has never seen, including the Parcells signing!

The minute we sign Landry to an extension is the year he'll get hurt. It's been a long time (ever?) since we've had an enforcer back there at safety, but the kind of money we're going to have to dish out to a guy who made the Pro Bowl (perhaps undeservedly) will be too much.

This.

Rex came here with a reputation for "loving CBs" and "knowing DL". So far we've seen Revis and Cro both thrive under Rex, Wilson appears to be a bust for a first rounder but he performs adequately enough for a 3rd CB.

The 2 CB tandem we have is our richest area of talent. It's also a position I'm confident our coach can replenish quickly. So it makes sense, at least to me, to trade either Cromartie or Revis for picks. Picks that can be used to bolster the rest of this thin roster.

I hate to break those 2 guys up, but I see it as a pretty low-risk roster move.

I suggested trading Revis for a first round pick before but people called me crazy.

it's not about what other people think. its about the sheer misery of living through that 1-15 season. No one wants to do it, from the owner to the janitor. there are 53 players who are gonna do whatever they can to avoid it. You can't just put the franchise in "crap mode" and walk away for a year.

and it should be noted that our hated Jets toasted the Colts this year 35-9.

Unless the Jets find themselves a QB in the next 3 months, one season of Revis isn't worth a damn thing to the Jets. That means, either make sure he's going to be lasting a lot longer than that, or else get something in return for him that will.

fans are deluding themselves about the state of the Revis trade market. I will say it again no one is gonna trade multiple 1's for a CB who just blew out a knee.

It's selling at a low. Maybe they get a 2 for Revis with some conditionals, at that point might as well take the 3 comp pick.

fans are deluding themselves about the state of the Revis trade market. I will say it again no one is gonna trade multiple 1's for a CB who just blew out a knee.

It's selling at a low. Maybe they get a 2 for Revis with some conditionals, at that point might as well take the 3 comp pick.

While this may not be the optimal time to considering trade him, the Jets don't really have any control over that. But the question is, what if it turns out you are wrong, and the Jets DO get quality trade offers in return for him? Would you still stand by your position that they absolutely cannot consider trading him?

I'd bet real money he's the better player.

Clowney's prospect status goes beyond one play in one postseason game.

better than Teddy? i don't know. Maybe. He plays a different position and really ironman'ed through the end of the season through alot of bad injuries. Think about it Louisville beat Florida. that's not really supposed to happen.

But the question is, what if it turns out you are wrong, and the Jets DO get quality trade offers in return for him? Would you still stand by your position that they absolutely cannot consider trading him?

it depends on the definition of the word quality. the type of deal we want isn't the type of deal we are gonna see. It's not gonna be an RG3 or Hershal walker type of deal. not after the injury.

better than Teddy? i don't know. Maybe. He plays a different position and really ironman'ed through the end of the season through alot of bad injuries. Think about it Louisville beat Florida. that's not really supposed to happen.

Yes.

Florida is not Florida right now. Bridgewater has some talent. In fact, he has alot of talent.

Archived