Rex Ryan not included in Jets' initial GM interviews

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nfl.com/n...l-gm-interviews

Coach Rex Ryan said last week he wants the New York Jets to take on more of his personality -- not less -- but that isn't likely to extend to the team's search for a new general manager.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Ryan was nowhere to be seen during the team's first round of interviews with candidates, according to sources apprised of the process. Breer was told meetings were run by owner Woody Johnson, team president Neil Glat and consultant Jed Hughes.

The Jets declined comment on Ryan's absence. As Breer points out, it's not surprising Ryan would be omitted from the initial meetings. If Johnson is serious about finding the best man for the job, he's wise to create a forum where candidates can speak freely on the state of a team that dipped to 6-10 last season.

Johnson has made it clear that whoever takes the front-office gig will roll with Ryan at coach for 2013. Ryan's status beyond next season is undetermined. It's an awkward dynamic that hints at a possible overhaul next season. Predictably, GM-types haven't exactly flocked to Gotham to chat.

Ryan's presence aside, Mike Tannenbaum's replacement inherits many of the problems from last season: tangled issues at the quarterback position, a ho-hum offensive roster, and a franchise seemingly married to endless dramatics.

Not a job for the faint of heart, but someone, somewhere is going to accept it. (We hope.)

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Omg that's totally breaking news. I totally thought he would be in there making the decision.

How can I spin this into "Jets are stupid" storyline.....I got it:

So they're going to force Rex on the New GM, but won't even see what kind of chemistry they have during the interview? **** Woody is so stupid and Korn/Ferry is just getting paid by the hour! OMG could things be any worser?

Omg that's totally breaking news. I totally thought he would be in there making the decision.

So they're going to force Rex on the New GM, but won't even see what kind of chemistry they have during the interview? **** Woody is so stupid and Korn/Ferry is just getting paid by the hour! OMG could things be any worser?

Post of the week.

Eat crow haters, or just spin your negative bs like usual.

If only everyone could provide such worthwhile "contributions" like these that you grace us all with.

I too was confused. Anyone who considers this news is probably an idiot.

I remember once I insinuated that the majority of the site's members were idiots.

I think that was my 4th life here... seems I'm more a cat than you are. You are more like a teflon diaper. Full of poo, but nothing sticks to you. :P

Since im a slight idiot... can I think its news and run around all panicky that Woody and Rex are having a falling out??? :rl:

Just wish they would get someone and end these discussions

To be fair, even if they "get someone" it's not going to end these discussions. The subject matter will change, but not the herp derpity of it. Rex and Woody and the pending GM really have nothing to do with a fan site filled with people who over-react to the news clippings arguing with people who over-react to those over-reactions.

To be fair, even if they "get someone" it's not going to end these discussions. The subject matter will change, but not the herp derpity of it. Rex and Woody and the pending GM really have nothing to do with a fan site filled with people who over-react to the news clippings arguing with people who over-react to those over-reactions.

Bullcrap! I totally bet you that all the crap will end with the hiring of a GM who is Rexoody approved! Just you wait you negative nelly!

I remember once I insinuated that the majority of the site's members were idiots.

I think that was my 4th life here... seems I'm more a cat than you are. You are more like a teflon diaper. Full of poo, but nothing sticks to you. :P

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPU8KCBZtpEk&sa=U&ei=n7j1UIHjEI2I0QGij4HICw&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEsjePBg868On3YLruL7FaUAg0Ktw

Bullcrap! I totally bet you that all the crap will end with the hiring of a GM who is Rexoody approved! Just you wait you negative nelly!

They are going to hire the guy that we all hate in 3 years from now. I really don't know what all the guess-work is about.

http://www.nfl.com/n...l-gm-interviews

Coach Rex Ryan said last week he wants the New York Jets to take on more of his personality -- not less -- but that isn't likely to extend to the team's search for a new general manager.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Ryan was nowhere to be seen during the team's first round of interviews with candidates, according to sources apprised of the process. Breer was told meetings were run by owner Woody Johnson, team president Neil Glat and consultant Jed Hughes.

The Jets declined comment on Ryan's absence. As Breer points out, it's not surprising Ryan would be omitted from the initial meetings. If Johnson is serious about finding the best man for the job, he's wise to create a forum where candidates can speak freely on the state of a team that dipped to 6-10 last season.

Johnson has made it clear that whoever takes the front-office gig will roll with Ryan at coach for 2013. Ryan's status beyond next season is undetermined. It's an awkward dynamic that hints at a possible overhaul next season. Predictably, GM-types haven't exactly flocked to Gotham to chat.

Ryan's presence aside, Mike Tannenbaum's replacement inherits many of the problems from last season: tangled issues at the quarterback position, a ho-hum offensive roster, and a franchise seemingly married to endless dramatics.

Not a job for the faint of heart, but someone, somewhere is going to accept it. (We hope.)

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

he may not be in the room, but I am sure he is viewing. Poor old paranoid me.

I wonder if this will slow down the narrative where Rex is in total control, or if the way things Parcells did things here 15 years ago still applies.

I feel 100% better!

I am now confident we are headed in the right direction, in Woody, Rex and GM to be named I trust!

Archived