Who is left to build around?

Freemanm

Regardless of who the new GM is, the Jets need to rebuild from the ground up. Provided that smart moves are made, it's probably going to take at least 2 seasons to do so. That said, here are the guys, in my opinion, who are not expendable:

Mangold

Landry

Willkerson

Ferguson

(Maybe Braylon Edwards, if he decides to resign with the team for less money).

Beyond them, everyone else can be replaced, in my estimation. Also, and I know people will disagree with me, I say trade Revis away for a #1 draft pick and get the QB you want. He's a great CB, but I saw him get burned a few times over the past three seasons. He's lucky that Randy Moss is no longer playing, because Moss would burn Revis' ass almost everytime they were matched up.

Some people might say Cromartie is a guy to build around, but his play is so inconsistent that it makes me wonder if he's worth the money that he's getting.

The new GM will has his hands full trying to get David Harris and Bart Scott off the team's books, not to mention Holmes, Sanchez, Tebow, Pace, Shonn Green and Sione Pouha (why that dude is making nearly $5 million shows the depth of Tannenbaum's judgement on contract signings) all need to go as well to give the team money to actually sign some good players.

By the way, if we're going to sign Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick, then I say we might as well keep Sanchez. I would say sign Michael Vick.

Regardless of who the new GM is, the Jets need to rebuild from the ground up. Provided that smart moves are made, it's probably going to take at least 2 seasons to do so. That said, here are the guys, in my opinion, who are not expendable:

Mangold

Landry

Willkerson

Ferguson

Beyond them, everyone else can be replaced, in my estimation. Also, and I know people will disagree with me, I say trade Revis away for a #1 draft pick and get the QB you want. He's a great CB, but I saw him get burned a few times over the past three seasons. He's lucky that Randy Moss is no longer playing, because Moss would burn Revis' ass almost everytime they were matched up.

Some people might say Cromartie is a guy to build around, but his play is so inconsistent that it makes me wonder if he's worth the money that he's getting.

The new GM will has his hands full trying to get David Harris and Bart Scott off the team's books, not to mention Holmes, Sanchez, Tebow, Pace, Shonn Green and Sione Pouha (why that dude is making nearly $5 million shows the depth of Tannenbaum's judgement on contract signings) all need to go as well to give the team money to actually sign some good players.

By the way, if we're going to sign Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick, then I say we might as well keep Sanchez. I would say sign Michael Vick.

Coples and Revis. The sack leader from last year and the best CB of all time. I would build around those guys. And Vlad. Mostly the other guys though lol.

Mangold

Landry

Willkerson

Ferguson

trade revis for a #1 pick because he was burned a few times over the past 3 seasons???? lol. many good corners get burned that many times in 1 game

Mangold

Landry

Willkerson

Ferguson

Braylon? Always expendable. He plays when he is desperate. I'd keep him on the cheap next year. He is desperate now.

NFL caliber players under contract for 2013:

Revis

Cromartie

Wilkerson

Mangold

D'Brick

Pouha

Harris

Wilson

Holmes

Kerley

Powell

McKnight

Coples

Punter Guy

Davis

Then Howard, Slauson, Moore, And Mauga aren't major threats to leave.

This roster has talent, and if New GMs first plan is to burn it down then he New GM should not be the new GM.

I would flip Revis for 2 first round picks in a heartbeat (2013 1st and a 2014 1st). Or maybe even a 2 and a 1 (preferably the 1st is a 2014).

That way we can use our 2 first round picks this year to build up the team, and the 2 first round picks next year to navigate ourselves into position to draft the top QB.

Mangold

Landry

Willkerson

Ferguson

Scan the board before posting dude. Kyle, excuse me, KYLE WILSON!!!1! ,!!

Revis

Cromartie

Wilkerson

Mangold

D'Brick

Pouha

Harris

Wilson

Holmes

Kerley

Powell

McKnight

Coples

Punter Guy

Davis

This roster has talent, and if New GMs first plan is to burn it down then he New GM should not be the new GM.

You forgot DBrickashaw. That makes 20 by my count (if we retain the RFA you listed)

Our on the cusp of being NFL-caliber, players (read: backups still under contract):

McIntyre

Ricky Sapp

Lankster

Rueland

Hill

Ducasse

Schlauderoff

McElroy

That makes 28. 29 if you wanna count Sanchez

Biggest problem we have is a complete lack of playmakers on either side if the ball.

The NFL today is a playmakers league. And we suck in that dept.

I don't see a lack of playmakers here. Revis and Holmes, Landry, Wilkerson, and McKnight on specials can all get the job done and Hill has flashed as has kerley. The biggest problem is the middle of our roster. We don't have one. As westhoff stated, you can't throw the whole cap to a handful of players...what are you going to pay the rest? The best teams stay relevant when a few starters go down because they have good role players and solid depth. Looking at thebOline and WR corps in particular, there has Ben nothing to shore up those positions leaving the slausons and Howard's and Clyde gates of the world to pick up the slack.

I don't see a lack of playmakers here. Revis and Holmes, Landry, Wilkerson, and McKnight on specials can all get the job done and Hill has flashed as has kerley. The biggest problem is the middle of our roster. We don't have one. As westhoff stated, you can't throw the whole cap to a handful of players...what are you going to pay the rest? The best teams stay relevant when a few starters go down because they have good role players and solid depth. Looking at thebOline and WR corps in particular, there has Ben nothing to shore up those positions leaving the slausons and Howard's and Clyde gates of the world to pick up the slack.

Revis is our best playmaker, and he's a corner, that is not good.

Holmes? Blah

McKnight? Playmaker? Really?

Hill needs to learn how to run routes and catch to be taken seriously.

We have nobody who really scares the opposition, you can throw to the other side if Revis, he does not keep OCs up at night.

Wilkerson may be that type of player, we will see.

We have no QB, no Wr's, no game breaking Rb. No TE threat, no real pass rushing OLB.

We really have no playmakers.

Best way to rebuild is through the line. If i was an nfl gm my mission statement would be top 5 d and o lines each year. Makes many other positions plug and play. But hey what do i know

I used to be 100% in agreement, now I think you need a pass blocking line and WRs who can get open, and A QB who can get the ball to them.

It's very hard to win without that.

Revis

Cromartie

Wilkerson

Mangold

D'Brick

Pouha

Harris

Wilson

Holmes

Kerley

Powell

McKnight

Coples

Punter Guy

Davis

You forgot DBrickashaw. That makes 20 by my count (if we retain the RFA you listed)

Our on the cusp of being NFL-caliber, players (read: backups still under contract):

McIntyre

Ricky Sapp

Lankster

Rueland

Hill

Ducasse

Schlauderoff

McElroy

There is a foundation to build on. The truth is, if done correctly what the Jets need are fixable in one offseason. WR, RB, TE - are not hard to find in one offseason. They should be plug and play positions with a decent QB. Every year numerous RB's and WR's come out of nowhere. Plus, I think with a healthy squad - Edwards, Holmes and Kerley are really one game breaker away from having a solid core (Hill sucks and I think they resign Edwards for cheap). You can find RB's and WR's in every round and all over the place in FA, its just a matter of hitting on some of those and....finding a QB, which the Jets historically just cant do. Sad.

The defense with Wilk, Coples, Pouha maybe resign DeVito cheap...and hope Ellis gets healthy and becomes what he's flashed. Thats a strong DL. They were just riddled with injuries this season. LB'ers suck and should be the focus of the first round, IMO. Hopefully Davis can be a player and they can cut Scott and dump his salary. Rex has proved that he can coach with anything in the secondary and be top notch, so thats not an issue.

There's a foundation. Its just missing the most important piece, QB. The rest is easy. Except OLB, lots of options right around where the Jets draft. Scares me a bit.

There is a foundation to build on. The truth is, if done correctly what the Jets need are fixable in one offseason. WR, RB, TE - are not hard to find in one offseason. They should be plug and play positions with a decent QB. Every year numerous RB's and WR's come out of nowhere. Plus, I think with a healthy squad - Edwards, Holmes and Kerley are really one game breaker away from having a solid core (Hill sucks and I think they resign Edwards for cheap). You can find RB's and WR's in every round and all over the place in FA, its just a matter of hitting on some of those and....finding a QB, which the Jets historically just cant do. Sad.

The defense with Wilk, Coples, Pouha maybe resign DeVito cheap...and hope Ellis gets healthy and becomes what he's flashed. Thats a strong DL. They were just riddled with injuries this season. LB'ers suck and should be the focus of the first round, IMO. Hopefully Davis can be a player and they can cut Scott and dump his salary. Rex has proved that he can coach with anything in the secondary and be top notch, so thats not an issue.

There's a foundation. Its just missing the most important piece, QB. The rest is easy. Except OLB, lots of options right around where the Jets draft. Scares me a bit.

Show me one "decent" QB who is making mediocre, gettable WR's and RB's look good?

Very good/Great QB's can do it, but there are about 3-6 of those guys in the NFL, tops.

Those guys are not attainable.

The next tier of QB's all have talent to work with.

What would your classification of a decent QB be, who is going to make a scrap heap receiving core look good?

Show me one "decent" QB who is making mediocre, gettable WR's and RB's look good?

Very good/Great QB's can do it, but there are about 3-6 of those guys in the NFL, tops.

Those guys are not attainable.

The next tier of QB's all have talent to work with.

What would your classification of a decent QB be, who is going to make a scrap heap receiving core look good?

Agreed. Bad choice of words.

My point remains - "You can find RB's and WR's in every round and all over the place in FA, its just a matter of hitting on some of those and....finding a QB, which the Jets historically just cant do. Sad."

Agreed. Bad choice of words.

My point remains - "You can find RB's and WR's in every round and all over the place in FA, its just a matter of hitting on some of those and....finding a QB, which the Jets historically just cant do. Sad."

It is sad, but here is my question for you if you were building a team.

What would be easier, find one of the 3-6 QB's who can make a mediocre offense look good

or

Find a mediocre QB, and put talented WR's and RB's around them

My opinion is if you can get one of the elite QB's, you do whatever the hell you can to get them.

If not

Get the best QB you can, but realize you will need to put talent around them, and do it!

Then, if you have talent, and can get an elite QB, you have a terrific offense.

Cannot sit around waiting for one of those type of QB's to become available, because drafting gets you no assurance of it, and they become avail via trade/FA once every 10 years and every team wants them.

McIntyre

Ricky Sapp

Lankster

Rueland

Hill

Ducasse

Schlauderoff

McElroy

McIntyre actually played well as a starter. Easily "Nfl Caliber"

Vlad is gonna start and played well in split time. huge difference between how he looked this year and when he started.

Lankster actually wasnt bad

Stephen Hill has #1 NFL WR potential if he learns how to not be stonehands

and yes Sanchez is gonna be there too. unfortunately.

Completely agree. Our OL finished 5th in run-blocking at the season's end...and that was with a decimated WR and TE corps and a B-level Running Back. A healthy Holmes, and decent TE option, and a more talented feature back would do wonders for this team. Sanchez, or not.

[Add in a drafted OL, we are only 3 players away from a legit offense] Quick fix = Sign a free agent TE, draft a featured RB, and future OL starter.

I say we do away with the FB position all together. Let Josh Baker get healthy and play TE/FB. His versatility will help fill out the other parts of the roster. Who knows, maybe we can use some of the Iso-DT plays that San Francisco plays (where NT Sopogoa lines up at FB).

On Defense, our DL is back in full (minus DeVito, but plus Ellis), and our secondary will still be impressive (minus Landry, but plus Revis).

I like the idea of Demario Davis becoming that "vocal leader" he was labelled as, and have no problem playing McIntyre opposite a rotating Ricky Sapp/Rookie combination. [Aside from depth we are only an OLB and some safeties away from a legit defense].

Quick fix = draft an OLB and a Safety, figure out what we've got with Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, and re-sign Bell or Landry.

Get our kicker back, get our long snapper back...and get healthy. Done.

McIntyre

Ricky Sapp

Lankster

Rueland

Hill

Ducasse

Schlauderoff

McElroy

I'd be happy if one or two of those guys turned into something of significance.

What would be easier, find one of the 3-6 QB's who can make a mediocre offense look good

or

My opinion is if you can get one of the elite QB's, you do whatever the hell you can to get them.

If not

Get the best QB you can, but realize you will need to put talent around them, and do it!

Cannot sit around waiting for one of those type of QB's to become available, because drafting gets you no assurance of it, and they become avail via trade/FA once every 10 years and every team wants them.

Nothing is easy with the Jets. Its obviously more important to find the QB whichever way they chose and hope they get lucky but building weapons either way is obviously the way to stay competitive with sup par QB play. Which is easier? Finding the WR and RB's, clearly but its all masturbation if you dont have a QB.

Completely agree. Our OL finished 5th in run-blocking at the season's end...and that was with a decimated WR and TE corps and a B-level Running Back. A healthy Holmes, and decent TE option, and a more talented feature back would do wonders for this team. Sanchez, or not.

[Add in a drafted OL, we are only 3 players away from a legit offense] Quick fix = Sign a free agent TE, draft a featured RB, and future OL starter.

I say we do away with the FB position all together. Let Josh Baker get healthy and play TE/FB. His versatility will help fill out the other parts of the roster. Who knows, maybe we can use some of the Iso-DT plays that San Francisco plays (where NT Sopogoa lines up at FB).

On Defense, our DL is back in full (minus DeVito, but plus Ellis), and our secondary will still be impressive (minus Landry, but plus Revis).

I like the idea of Demario Davis becoming that "vocal leader" he was labelled as, and have no problem playing McIntyre opposite a rotating Ricky Sapp/Rookie combination. [Aside from depth we are only an OLB and some safeties away from a legit defense].

Quick fix = draft an OLB and a Safety, figure out what we've got with Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, and re-sign Bell or Landry.

Get our kicker back, get our long snapper back...and get healthy. Done.

Its obviously easier said then done but for the purpose of the topic, there's talent to build around and the positions of need are generally easier positions to fill...except OLB and QB. I think we take a shot at OLB in the draft based on what I'm seeing from projections, hopefully they dont miss and thats covered.

To win in this league you need 2 things; a good QB and a good pass rush. Look at the last few Super Bowl winners. They either had a great QB and a decent pass rush (Saints, Packers,Colts) or a decent QB and a great pass rush (Giants, Steelers).

I am not sure if Mangold has any upside left. He was pretty ordinary this season. Maybe he just gave up!

I am excited about Wilk and Coples. Ellis looks like he can make an impact if he stays healthy. Cro might he here for another season.

Kerley looked awesome. Powell was decent.

Revis will be gone.

man, this is depressing huh? Damn

To win in this league you need 2 things; a good QB and a good pass rush. Look at the last few Super Bowl winners. They either had a great QB and a decent pass rush (Saints, Packers,Colts) or a decent QB and a great pass rush (Giants, Steelers).

Smartest thing i've seen posted in awhile....absolutely agree 100%....and it sure as hell aint good when you got neither....like us

or

If not

you cant win with a sh*tty QB. Good QBS win super bowls. Without a franchise QB we got nothing

god and people say rex's offensive philosophy is out dated

Unless everyone suddenly falls in love with all the QBs in this draft, there's actually some decent (see: experienced, tall, and strong armed) mid--late round options this year.

Landry Jones...Zac Dysert...Tyler Bray...OK, so it's a three man list.

You can add EJ Manuel to that list.

Archived